MNRR/LIRR Short & Long Term Plans and Proposals-now & 2050

Nexis4Jersey

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DM 30s run on diesel until Penn Station, so you're not saving anything.

LIRR 154 is what kentsfield says true?

If so then just WOW.

Are there smaller less fuel consuming versions of the DM30 and DE 30?

Or similar rail cars that aren't as fuel hungry as these.

Is is possible to switch DM30 to electric west of huntington or babylon?

LIRR 154 is what kentsfield says true?

If so then just WOW.

Are there smaller less fuel consuming versions of the DM30 and DE 30?

Or similar rail cars that aren't as fuel hungry as these.

Is is possible to switch DM30 to electric west of huntington or babylon?

Yep Kents right..

Yep Kents right..

Is it possible to change that so DM30s switch to electric from huntington to penn sta instead of running diesel all the way until penn sta?

Can this be done with patchouge or is there a technical limit that only allows switching from diesel to electric at penn sta that prevents dual-modes from using electric between babyon and jamacia and west of huntington? Explain.

Is it possible to change that so DM30s switch to electric from huntington to penn sta instead of running diesel all the way until penn sta?

Can this be done with patchouge or is there a technical limit that only allows switching from diesel to electric at penn sta that prevents dual-modes from using electric between babyon and jamacia and west of huntington? Explain.

The D30's only go electric under the east river into Penn and also into WSY. Other then that its diesel power all the way. There are no third rail shoes on the C3's . The cars get all their power from the diesel unit power pack behind the cabs . They are like mini power plants. With this being the case you would have some major gapping problems with the Engines being stuck between spaces where third rail shoes can't make contact. I've seen this happened a few times when diesel units are leaving Penn and are on their way to the Yard. I know few Engineers who tell me the hole between Penn and the Yard is tricky so you have to give it a little diesel boost out of the tunnel to make contact with the first rail. The diesel units are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to electric mode compared to the MU's.

Question. Could the M7's then be retrofitted to operate Dual Mode instead of electrical only.

Well there was a Bomb EMU spec floating around if the Railroad was to bring more shuttle train service out East. So yeah they can. Now your asking can they turn the whole fleet into just M7 and M9 ,maybe way way well into the future. But right now and near future there are no plans to get rid of the D30's. That's the RR ace in the whole when the **** hits the fan and electrical systems want to act stupid which is sad to say regular.

so if M7 &9 s are turned into dual mode they can switch between diesel and electric easily from babylon onward unlike DM30s.

It wouldn't be a M7 or M9 MU no more. It would have to be built from scratch into a EMU. Crazy as it sounds the LIRR once played around with M1's using gasoline and they do have a history of EMU's already but all failed horribly. Too many breakdowns and got beat up by the rough terrain on Long Island. Long Island layout is filled with many twist and turns and hilly grades.

Well there was a Bomb EMU spec floating around if the Railroad was to bring more shuttle train service out East. So yeah they can. Now your asking can they turn the whole fleet into just M7 and M9 ,maybe way way well into the future. But right now and near future there are no plans to get rid of the D30's. That's the RR ace in the whole when the **** hits the fan and electrical systems want to act stupid which is sad to say regular.

What happened to the news where LIRR themselves said that they wanted to replace the DE30's because they were too costly for 'em (IIRC because they are built for running 12 cars and no less)?

http://www.nyctransi...mus

http://www.thetransp...p-branch-lines/

http://www.nyctransi...mus

And besides the replacements for the low-ridership branches there also is the fact that the DM30s break down too frequently... every 12000 miles instead of 30000 miles.

I know about the plan to use DMU's as I mention earlier in this thread for the East end and low ridership. But they are plans and you know as I k.ow MTA and plans don't happened over night. Besides recently the D30's just was sent for rebuilts not to long ago. DMU's is the plan but there are no specs or designs or builder yet. That has as to be in place before any of the D30's become extinct. Also who knows if these DMU's won't have problems themselves. We are just going to have to wait but the LIRR main equipment focus right now is the M9's.

I know about the plan to use DMU's as I mention earlier in this thread for the East end and low ridership. But they are plans and you know as I k.ow MTA and plans don't happened over night. Besides recently the D30's just was sent for rebuilts not to long ago. DMU's is the plan but there are no specs or designs or builder yet. That has as to be in place before any of the D30's become extinct. Also who knows if these DMU's won't have problems themselves. We are just going to have to wait but the LIRR main equipment focus right now is the M9's.

So it's impossible to make the DM30s switch to electric at babylon en rte to penn station or at huntington en rte onwards? Or is there a catch that can be overcome under some conditions?

So it's impossible to make the DM30s switch to electric at babylon en rte to penn station or at huntington en rte onwards? Or is there a catch that can be overcome under some conditions?

Impossible I don't know. But the 3rd rail specifications and alignment throughout the system is built for MU's. Plus why would they want to do that. They won't get maximum power and run the risks of gapping. It doesn't make sense.

Impossible I don't know. But the 3rd rail specifications and alignment throughout the system is built for MU's. Plus why would they want to do that. They won't get maximum power and run the risks of gapping. It doesn't make sense.

maximum power? so if DM30s electric part was upgraded they would be able to get max power?

maximum power? so if DM30s electric part was upgraded they would be able to get max power?

Your forgetting only the DM30 engine has third rail shoes,not the actually bi level coaches. Both lead engines east and west have shoes on the dual modes. They were only built for short distance electric use . For maximum power for the distance your talking about the c3's would need third rail shoes and that is impossible.

Your forgetting only the DM30 engine has third rail shoes,not the actually bi level coaches. Both lead engines east and west have shoes on the dual modes. They were only built for short distance electric use . For maximum power for the distance your talking about the c3's would need third rail shoes and that is impossible.

c3 what are c3s the bi level coaches themselves or the rails? DAMN so they bleed money hard why not replace em all with smaller DMUs. Then again port jefferson has high ridership making that difficult.

Archived