Are they for real? More reduced service in Brooklyn

AllenJ24

Now I don't think that would be a good idea at all. The TA would have to spend way too much money on MVM's. Having them at every local bus stop is just too much. And adding them to limited stops would essentially turn them into SBS runs.

I'm looking at a decrease in operating costs due to faster buses and a possible increase in revenue due to the increase in ridership due to faster buses. The other thing is that if the operator is not directly dealing with the fare, it takes him/her out of the line of fire. And some lines need that like fish need water.

Maybe not all the lines I wrote down should have the POP. But if a bus has to sit somewhere for at least three minutes picking up people (and the people keep showing up like there is no tomorrow), that should be changed. Most of the lines I wrote down there are like that.

You have to consider the cost of installing and maintaining the machines, and you have to consider that you have to install them at all stops, not just the high ridership ones.

That's why it is better if the only buses that are +SBS+ are limited-stop buses. If there are any local lines that have those problems, you are better off adding limited-stop service and then converting that service to +SBS+.

And they've pledged to basically do whatever they had to to ensure that SBS was successful, including adding several SBS buses in addition to the service they were already providing. Granted, I know the new buses were needed and all of that, I'm just trying to understand where all of these funds came from to add all of these additional runs, not the actually buses themselves. I know the buses were paid for w/federal funds, but what about the additional runs? I'm curious as to how much it is costing them to add the additional M15 SBS that they've added while making adjustments to the new line. It just looks like they're catering to one set of people at a time when they're cutting service for others across the board, but I could be wrong. That's why I'd like to see some figures...

Uncle Sam. SBS is essentially a new Bus Rapid Transit service, so the MTA can buy buses for both the local and limited stop services on the route under New Starts funding or other FTA funding programs besides the standard Section 5309 funding.

Uncle Sam. SBS is essentially a new Bus Rapid Transit service, so the MTA can buy buses for both the local and limited stop services on the route under New Starts funding or other FTA funding programs besides the standard Section 5309 funding.

And how long does the federal funding last for?

And how long does the federal funding last for?

Most of it is allocated in Obama's current stimulus package. (You know the one that people FALSELY say isn't doing anything) LIB coaches 1800-1839 for example are fully funded by the FTA. There is no time line on funding. It's there basically until it's all gone, or a specific program expires.

Most of it is allocated in Obama's current stimulus package. (You know the one that people FALSELY say isn't doing anything) LIB coaches 1800-1839 for example are fully funded by the FTA. There is no time line on funding. It's there basically until it's all gone, or a specific program expires.

Yes, I see... Part of the problem with that stimulus package is that some of the money is just sitting there and really can't be used since there are certain stipulations that must be met in order to use the funding so that's more of the problem than anything. That's why some people probably think that the stimulus isn't doing anything when in fact some of it is being put to use.

Yes, I see... Part of the problem with that stimulus package is that some of the money is just sitting there and really can't be used since there are certain stipulations that must be met in order to use the funding so that's more of the problem than anything. That's why some people probably think that the stimulus isn't doing anything when in fact some of it is being put to use.

No, most of it is being put to use, and all of it can be. People/companies/organizations just need to know how to get it.

No, most of it is being put to use, and all of it can be. People/companies/organizations just need to know how to get it.

Perhaps they need to revisit some of the stipulations on releasing the remaining stimulus. I don't know if you're referring to here in NY or country wide, but some people/companies/organizations have commented that funds were allocated to them that they can't use based on the stipulations.

Isn't purchasing new buses a capital expense, though? Therefore, time limits are irrelevant, since they bought the new buses all at once.

Perhaps they need to revisit some of the stipulations on releasing the remaining stimulus. I don't know if you're referring to here in NY or country wide, but some people/companies/organizations have commented that funds were allocated to them that they can't use based on the stipulations.

Via Garibaldi 8, if it makes you feel any better about the M15 SBS, back in November the MTA cut service somewhat. I guess the high amount of service back in October was just to gauge ridership.

I hope the B25 is not hit too hard. Why am I not suprised it's on the list again? ;)

They are going to cut runs on Sundays on that B36. Not the whole route, but still some runs getting cut.

^

And the TA is NOT cutting the B36, so your arguement is somewhat irrelevant.

The media reports are wrong. Only B36 Saturday service is being cut. No changes to weekdays or Sundays. See page 69 (not 64-68).

Midday weekday service is being cut from 15 to 20 minutes on the B16.

Archived