Are they for real? More reduced service in Brooklyn

AllenJ24

BROOKLYN - The MTA says it wants to reduce service to more than a dozen bus lines in Brooklyn in an effort to reduce its massive budget gap.

Transit officials say the cuts would include the "B16," "B20," "B25" and "B38" lines. The biggest hit line will be the "B36" route from Coney Island to Sheepshead Bay, with a 17-percent reduction.

The MTA estimates the changes will save it approximately $300,000 a year.

The board is expected to vote on the plan Wednesday.

BROOKLYN - The MTA says it wants to reduce service to more than a dozen bus lines in Brooklyn in an effort to reduce its massive budget gap.

Transit officials say the cuts would include the "B16," "B20," "B25" and "B38" lines. The biggest hit line will be the "B36" route from Coney Island to Sheepshead Bay, with a 17-percent reduction.

I really feel for the folks in my old neighorhood... So they've cut the B4 drastically from serving Sheepshead Bay and told folks to take the B36 and now they're reducing that... How do they expect people to get to the train station or anywhere else in Southern Brooklyn??? Those people down there should be raising hell.

For those who don't know, this is part of the Jan 2011 Committee Materials I linked in the SI changes thread. Remember what the MTA said about the winter changes? They cost an extra 1.x million dollars, but it would be made up later this year. The S74/78 earned them back 0.35 million, but oddly, the schedule changes proposed cost another 300 grand to the MTA, due to 2 more (J) roundtrips and added service on a few routes.

As for Brooklyn, the biggest reduction is that 15 minute headways become 20 minute headways. When one plans/fantasizes about schedules, one has the mentality of "a few minutes more is nothing", but when we actually try to plan things using the bus, it is a big deal. Hence why bi-hourly service is so annoying.

Do you Allen have a link to the source/news outlet for these cuts? And FYI it's 'reduced' cuts for correct spelling.

So basically the B36's headways will be 12-15 minutes most of the day now instead of the current 10-12 minutes.

Glad I no longer live in SW Brooklyn. If more doomsday cuts are made, overnight B36 will probably be gone as well.

Just glanced at the links. It's actually close to at least 40-50 bus routes citywide that having reduced headways.

So basically the B36's headways will be 12-15 minutes most of the day now instead of the current 10-12 minutes.

Glad I no longer live in SW Brooklyn. If more doomsday cuts are made, overnight B36 will probably be gone as well.

Just glanced at the links. It's actually close to at least 40-50 bus routes citywide that having reduced headways.

12-15 minute headways existed for the B4 when they went and cut part of the route... :o

Another example of the (MTA) not sharing the budget cuts and fiscal crisis IMO.

If this was Park Slope, Pelham Bay/Country Club(parts of the NE Bronx), the Upper East Side, and other political connected neighborhoods, the cuts would not be this steep IMO.

Also i know it may be controversial to say but I mention it anyhow. If any more cuts to the B36, I think it's time to look at and possibly end weekend B74 service. I not advocating canning Saturday/Sunday Service though.

The B36 is a much more vital route in SW Brooklyn than the B74 basically a CI-Sea Gate shuttle Bus. Not mention the '36' is the only full length bus line to serve all of the entire Coney Island area. If that means adding the '2' buses off the B74, then so be it.

If this was Park Slope, Pelham Bay/Country Club(parts of the NE Bronx), the Upper East Side, and other political connected neighborhoods, the cuts would not be this steep IMO.

Also i know it may be controversial to say but I mention it anyhow. If any more cuts to the B36, I think it's time to look at and possibly end weekend B74 service. I not advocating canning Saturday/Sunday Service though.

The B36 is a much more vital route in SW Brooklyn than the B74 basically a CI-Sea Gate shuttle Bus. Not mention the '36' is the only full length bus line to serve all of the entire Coney Island area. If that means adding the '2' buses off the B74, then so be it.

I used to use the X28 on Sundays to go over to Sheepshead Bay during the warmer months and hop on the Q train briefly and while waiting for the X28 down by Surf Ave, I'd see how packed those B36s can get, so I wouldn't be so quick to slash the B74. You know the MTA won't add additional service on the B36, not if they're cutting it the way they are right now. These cuts are just disgusting to areas in South Brooklyn already suffering from a lack of options and service. On top of that subway service basically gets stopped anywhere in South Brooklyn where there's inclement weather. This is why I vehemetly oppose any more express bus cuts for South Brooklyn residents. :tdown:

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The B25 is basically the wheelchair & elderly alternative to the (A)(C) trains since none of the stops of the entire Fulton St Line (with the exception of Jay St) is handicapped accessible. Cut that and there's gonna hell to pay

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The B25 is basically the wheelchair & elderly alternative to the (A)(C) trains since none of the stops of the entire Fulton St Line (with the exception of Jay St) is handicapped accessible. Cut that and there's gonna hell to pay

I assume service gets thin up by Brooklyn Heights and they've tried to reduce it, but I believe it's been kept for that reason you just mentioned.

People suggest that lines that run above or below subway lines are just that but I've been a B25 rider for the past 15 years (since a kid) and it gets solid ridership to heavy ridership outside rush hours and its much more. But I agree on that nobody should cut that line. And quite honestly, I have yet to say a wheelchair or handicapped person use elevators whether it is a Jay St (or at Franklin Ave, the other station with elevators on Fulton St). It is mostly adults (women with carriages, people with carts). Thats just my two cents.

I assume service gets thin up by Brooklyn Heights and they've tried to reduce it, but I believe it's been kept for that reason you just mentioned.

All the downtown Brooklyn routes (25, 26, 38, 41, 52, 103) are pretty much thin to empty by Court St/Joralemon St. And they pretty much empty out by Jay St/Fulton St. I can't speak for Brooklyn Heights and the ridership. But from Jay St to Saratoga, the ridership is solid. Weekends, it is a bit lighter.

All the downtown Brooklyn routes (25, 26, 38, 41, 52, 103) are pretty much thin to empty by Court St/Joralemon St. And they pretty much empty out by Jay St/Fulton St. I can't speak for Brooklyn Heights and the ridership. But from Jay St to Saratoga, the ridership is solid. Weekends, it is a bit lighter.

Not to get off topic but would it make sense that most of the Downtown Brooklyn crosstown routes i.e b25, 26, 38 and 52 that run on Fulton Mall to end at or around Flatbush Ave?

And the only cut in worst case scenrio to the (B25) is maybe ending overnight service between 2-5am. I am not advovcating it just offering a thought. The MTA has been for at least the last 5-6 years trying to end the B25.

Not to get off topic but would it make sense that most of the Downtown Brooklyn crosstown routes i.e b25, 26, 38 and 52 that run on Fulton Mall to end at or around Flatbush Ave?

And the only cut in worst case scenrio to the (B25) is maybe ending overnight service between 2-5am. I am not advovcating it just offering a thought. The MTA has been for at least the last 5-6 years trying to end the B25.

I used to hang out up there in Brooklyn Heights a lot and that corridor where most of the buses end at gets a good amount of pedestrians that need bus service to the train station or to get to parts of Downtown Brooklyn. In fact the B25 is the only bus out of those that you mentioned that goes up by DUMBO and as we know DUMBO has become more residential in the last 10 years or so. There is also a decent amount of businesses near DUMBO too so a lot of folks are going to DUMBO. However, I will admit that I just walked since I was exploring the area a bit, but then again I like walking. For older folks or those who can't walk so far the B25 comes in handy.

In Fulton Mall going towards DUMBO, it gets pretty empty since the B26 B38 & B52 all run on the same street, but after Cadman Plz it startys to pick up somewhat mainly for people who don't wanna walk down that hill. Going the other way, as soon as it leaves Fulton Mall, its pretty packed. I used to hang out at the library right there on Cadman Plz back in H.S (sometimes the school trippers they used to run other times the regular ones) and I used to take the B25 down there. A good bunch gets off at Nostrand Av and then another crowd gets back on. Once it passes Clinton Av, that's when it starts to taper off.

You can't cut the B25. Its one of those routes that's kinda redundant since it follows the (A)(C) but at the same time, its useful

In Fulton Mall going towards DUMBO, it gets pretty empty since the B26 B38 & B52 all run on the same street, but after Cadman Plz it startys to pick up somewhat mainly for people who don't wanna walk down that hill. Going the other way, as soon as it leaves Fulton Mall, its pretty packed. I used to hang out at the library right there on Cadman Plz back in H.S (sometimes the school trippers they used to run other times the regular ones) and I used to take the B25 down there. A good bunch gets off at Nostrand Av and then another crowd gets back on. Once it passes Clinton Av, that's when it starts to taper off.

You can't cut the B25. Its one of those routes that's kinda redundant since it follows the (A)(C) but at the same time, its useful

I said maybe overnight service if the ridership on the (B25) is very light and the (MTA) proposes more cuts. So how is the B25 between say 1230am-5am daily? If at least 20 riders every trip even at 1-hour headways use it then it should stay. Just a thought. reactions?

They pounded the M86 on Sunday mornings. 15 minute headways? That is a big wait for that neck of the woods.

Archived