Are they for real? More reduced service in Brooklyn

AllenJ24

I used to use the X28 on Sundays to go over to Sheepshead Bay during the warmer months and hop on the Q train briefly and while waiting for the X28 down by Surf Ave, I'd see how packed those B36s can get, so I wouldn't be so quick to slash the B74. You know the MTA won't add additional service on the B36, not if they're cutting it the way they are right now. These cuts are just disgusting to areas in South Brooklyn already suffering from a lack of options and service. On top of that subway service basically gets stopped anywhere in South Brooklyn where there's inclement weather. This is why I vehemetly oppose any more express bus cuts for South Brooklyn residents. :tdown:

How about combining it with the B68, so it doesn't duplicate the B36 as much?

Personally, I think the B64 would've been the best choice, but its been cut back to 25th Avenue. (The B82 would be the best in terms of not duplicating the subway, but it is too long and unreliable)

From what I can see, these cuts are not even bad at all. Unless I missed something, none of these routes will have headway increases of more than 2 minutes!

The S79 will have its midday service reduced from 15 to 20 minutes.

And, one question: Do a lot of people ride the B25 from end-to-end, or not. Because, if they don't, and the MTA really wanted to save money, here's what they could do:

B48: Extended from Fulton Street to Broadway Junction

B26: Extended to DUMBO

That way, every portion of Fulton Street is covered by a bus, for people who can't use the subway, and the MTA saves money. Also, eastern Brooklyn riders would have a bus that goes somewhere different than the (A)/©.

Personally, I think the B64 would've been the best choice, but its been cut back to 25th Avenue. (The B82 would be the best in terms of not duplicating the subway, but it is too long and unreliable)

And, one question: Do a lot of people ride the B25 from end-to-end, or not. Because, if they don't, and the MTA really wanted to save money, here's what they could do:

That way, every portion of Fulton Street is covered by a bus, for people who can't use the subway, and the MTA saves money. Also, eastern Brooklyn riders would have a bus that goes somewhere different than the (A)/©.

Not a terrible idea. However some questions/concerns. First, there would be no bus service at all between Clinton/Washington where the current B26 splits from the B25. Not to mention there are riders from say Eastern Fulton around Utica who can't or will not the subway that ride the (B25).

So checkmate how do you address that?

I don't think that would work. The B48 does not run nearly as frequently as the B25. During rush hours the 48 is every 10 minutes and then goes down to 15-20 minutes. B26 buses would be crush loaded covering the passengers from both the 25 and 26.

Most people don't ride a route from end to end except some routes, its a moot point. But there are plenty of people (I live two blocks from fulton st & nostrand). That would catch the B25 and ride it the entire way downtown. Yes, I know about the alternate of the (A) and (C) train but why do we always have to cut or change a route that runs parallel to the subway. When the A and C hit the sh!thole sometimes, it also provides an alternate to the subway.

The very small portion between Putnam Avenue and Franklin Avenue is no more than 5 minutes from the B26, so those passengers still have service within a reasonable distance.

And for those riders along the eastern part of Fulton Street, they will be able to take the B48. If they need to go west of Franklin Avenue, they will have to transfer to the B26.

Another idea could be to restructure it (or outright combine it) with a route out of Broadway Junction, probably the B83 since it is the shortest.

Cutting the B25 is a very bad idea. When that route got proposed for elimination back in 2008, hell ensued...I'm not even kidding. The B25 is like the B39: they serve those who are unable to use the subway due to the extreme lack of ADA stations.

The B25 has a ton of traffic to deal with between Franklin Ave & New York Ave (B44 deals with it aswell). If the B25 was connecting to B83, it would become ultra unreliable. The runtime would run anywhere from 90 to 100 minutes. Also According 2009 ridership statistics, B25 ranked 66th in ridership and had about 13000 daily riders. Its not simply an ADA alternative. The B48 had about 5500 riders (131st) and the B26 had about 11000 riders (88th). I'm not the biggest fan of using numbers but you would be taking 13000 daily riders and transferring them to the (A), (C), 26, 48 and nearby by 65. Transferring between the B26 and B48 at at Putnam and Franklin isn't exactly the most inviting at night. I dont mind the fact that the mta is simply reducing the headways during non-rush hours on the B25. But should this lead to cutting or restructuring the route altogether. I may biased towards ENY routes and the B25 since its been my childhood but just leave the route alone, its fine as is. May be a bit slow, but isn't a manhattan crosstown.

Cutting the B25 is a very bad idea. When that route got proposed for elimination back in 2008, hell ensued...I'm not even kidding. The B25 is like the B39: they serve those who are unable to use the subway due to the extreme lack of ADA stations.

Yeah, running a bus is 'cheaper' than to have an elevator built at every subway stop. There has to be other places to make cutbacks...

The B25 has a ton of traffic to deal with between Franklin Ave & New York Ave (B44 deals with it aswell). If the B25 was connecting to B83, it would become ultra unreliable. The runtime would run anywhere from 90 to 100 minutes. Also According 2009 ridership statistics, B25 ranked 66th in ridership and had about 13000 daily riders. Its not simply an ADA alternative. The B48 had about 5500 riders (131st) and the B26 had about 11000 riders (88th). I'm not the biggest fan of using numbers but you would be taking 13000 daily riders and transferring them to the (A), (C), 26, 48 and nearby by 65. Transferring between the B26 and B48 at at Putnam and Franklin isn't exactly the most inviting at night. I dont mind the fact that the mta is simply reducing the headways during non-rush hours on the B25. But should this lead to cutting or restructuring the route altogether. I may biased towards ENY routes and the B25 since its been my childhood but just leave the route alone, its fine as is. May be a bit slow, but isn't a manhattan crosstown.

The thing is that it does spend a significant portion of the route overlapping the (A)/©. If it were restructured, the MTA would no longer have that excuse.

The thing about the B39 is that it was structured so that most of the riders were the disabled. If it were sent somewhere useful (by combining it with another route), it probably would've fared better.

The B25 is different from the B39 in the sense that it already has very high ridership. The problem is only that the MTA feels that it duplicates the subway.

From what I can see, these cuts are not even bad at all. Unless I missed something, none of these routes will have headway increases of more than 2 minutes!

Some lines will have headways longer than 2 minutes... The thing is these lines are already packed, so it's not just about longer waits, but also about overcrowding. You can only squeeze so many people on a bus and while an increase of 5 minutes may not sound like a lot it can be. Lines like the M79 for example have pretty good ridership from Yorkville over to the West Side, so I don't see how they justify reducing service. The biggest killer is the S79. They just reduced service on that line last year and now they're reducing it again. The line is already plagued with overcrowding and bunching, so how can you say that bunching will get better as the MTA claims by cutting service? The whole thing is really laughable.

My point exactly. Plus on a Sunday morning, half of Manhattan is hung over. The only people outside are the tourists and the people who have to be outside (most likely due to the tourists).

The thing that you and Shortline are either forgetting or not realizing is that you can't compare the headways of a bus with a train. One 40ft bus on most lines compared to several subway cars... Headways for most trains is 10-15 minutes which is fine for most lines, but not for crosstown buses. The MTA is making a big mistake. Reducing service will not only hurt riders but will hurt New York City as a whole. Tourists are coming in droves and you cannot underestimate how much they use the system even during periods that are considered to be slow.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You can't combine the B25 with any other route as it will be too long. The B25 and B26 follow each other from Cadman Plz (the terminal of the B26) to Classon Av (where the B26 turns off). Even so, the B26 is still a good alternative to about Marcy Av cuz that's where the extra blocks start to come in and make the difference greater. At Nostrand Av/Puntnam Av, the B26 is exactly 2 blocks (actually about 4 but the other east-west streets didn't come into play yet)

I said maybe overnight service if the ridership on the (B25) is very light and the (MTA) proposes more cuts. So how is the B25 between say 1230am-5am daily? If at least 20 riders every trip even at 1-hour headways use it then it should stay. Just a thought. reactions?

I wouldn't say its empty per se but you still have people that use it at that hour, in a nutshell its barely enough to keep it afloat overnight hours. And since the (A) train at that time is about every 20-25 mins, it helps a little bit

IMO, cut overnight service

My point exactly. Plus on a Sunday morning, half of Manhattan is hung over. The only people outside are the tourists and the people who have to be outside (most likely due to the tourists).

The thing is that it does spend a significant portion of the route overlapping the (A)/©. If it were restructured, the MTA would no longer have that excuse.

The thing about the B39 is that it was structured so that most of the riders were the disabled. If it were sent somewhere useful (by combining it with another route), it probably would've fared better.

The B25 is different from the B39 in the sense that it already has very high ridership. The problem is only that the MTA feels that it duplicates the subway.

I realize that the MTA is facing dire straits, but at some point they need to sit down and say we can't keep reducing service and re-routing lines. It just becomes overkill and then you wind up having routes that become less reliable as a result, like the M5. I still don't understand how they can cry poverty yet throw buses on the M15 SBS like it's nothing. They can't provide decent local service on some lines, but they can afford to run limited stop buses without a blink of an eye... The line is already well utilized yet they're throwing money at it???

But back to the B25... Okay so they want their cake and want to eat it too. They're not providing any wheelchair access at those subway stations, but they also want to cut the bus service too. They should've raised the fare to $2.50 and put a surcharge for purchasing new Metrocards. People would've cried but at least we could've avoided some of those insane cuts.

Not to get off topic but would it make sense that most of the Downtown Brooklyn crosstown routes i.e b25, 26, 38 and 52 that run on Fulton Mall to end at or around Flatbush Ave?

What in the....

1) yo, how in the hell would it serve fulton mall if buses ended at flatbush av....

2) Do you know how long B54's spend stuck along flatbush av ext. during the rush... are you really advocating buses terminate along flatbush av extension????

please tell me that's not what you meant, bro....

hmm, so you want to extend the B68 to sea gate on one end, & to park slope on the other? (based on what you eluded to, in that 'bus line extension to replace the F/G' thread)....

I can't even harp on you, alone, about that... b/c it's not the first time someone actually brought the idea....

It's not about riding the B25 from end to end (or any other route that parallels a subway line), though.... B25 EB usage b/w B'way junction & say, Ralph, is sparse.... WB, it starts to pick up around where the B7 runs (TS boyland/saratoga)...

Forget about the B48... the MTA successfully killed that route...

it reminds me of how B18's were when they ran....

If the MTA did what you just suggested w/ the B48, franklin av (C)(S) & the general area, pedestrian-wise, would be more of a madhouse than it already is.... virtually no one would ride it past that point....

IMO, they'd send the B69, or the B67 to DUMBO, before the B26....

I don't think that would work. The B48 does not run nearly as frequently as the B25. During rush hours the 48 is every 10 minutes and then goes down to 15-20 minutes. B26 buses would be crush loaded covering the passengers from both the 25 and 26.

Most people don't ride a route from end to end except some routes, its a moot point. But there are plenty of people (I live two blocks from fulton st & nostrand). That would catch the B25 and ride it the entire way downtown. Yes, I know about the alternate of the (A) and (C) train but why do we always have to cut or change a route that runs parallel to the subway. When the A and C hit the sh!thole sometimes, it also provides an alternate to the subway.

preach.

Another idea could be to restructure it (or outright combine it) with a route out of Broadway Junction, probably the B83 since it is the shortest.

I never cared for wanting to extend that route [b83] past broadway junction...

I saw on subchat where someone suggested killing off the B20, & sending B83's up to Ridgewood...

someone else had the B20 doing some ridiculous loop in ENY & in starrett city....

anyway, you're big on figures....

care to check the cost effectiveness (cost/rider) & the efficiency rate of the B83....

Agreed.... That's what made it easy to eliminate the 39.... the fact that it didn't delve deep into any neighborhood/area.....

2nd point, it's more simpler than that....

The B25 is different from the B39 in that, the B25 isn't a glorified shuttle.... the route serves the heart of bed-stuy... regardless if it heads out to that park out in DUMBO or not, the route is going nowhere...

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You can't combine the B25 with any other route as it will be too long. The B25 and B26 follow each other from Cadman Plz (the terminal of the B26) to Classon Av (where the B26 turns off). Even so, the B26 is still a good alternative to about Marcy Av cuz that's where the extra blocks start to come in and make the difference greater. At Nostrand Av/Puntnam Av, the B26 is exactly 2 blocks (actually about 4 but the other east-west streets didn't come into play yet)

I wouldn't say its empty per se but you still have people that use it at that hour, in a nutshell its barely enough to keep it afloat overnight hours. And since the (A) train at that time is about every 20-25 mins, it helps a little bit

IMO, cut overnight service

It has 53 riders between 1AM and 5AM. Anything below 45 riders gets eliminated.

I realize that the MTA is facing dire straits, but at some point they need to sit down and say we can't keep reducing service and re-routing lines. It just becomes overkill and then you wind up having routes that become less reliable as a result, like the M5. I still don't understand how they can cry poverty yet throw buses on the M15 SBS like it's nothing. They can't provide decent local service on some lines, but they can afford to run limited stop buses without a blink of an eye... The line is already well utilized yet they're throwing money at it???

But back to the B25... Okay so they want their cake and want to eat it too. They're not providing any wheelchair access at those subway stations, but they also want to cut the bus service too. They should've raised the fare to $2.50 and put a surcharge for purchasing new Metrocards. People would've cried but at least we could've avoided some of those insane cuts.

Like I said, implementing faster service actually saves them money (in addition to attracting ridership).

Forget about the B48... the MTA successfully killed that route...

it reminds me of how B18's were when they ran....

If the MTA did what you just suggested w/ the B48, franklin av (C)(S) & the general area, pedestrian-wise, would be more of a madhouse than it already is.... virtually no one would ride it past that point....

IMO, they'd send the B69, or the B67 to DUMBO, before the B26....

I don't see how having the bus make that left turn would make it more difficult for pedestrians.

I'm assuming you mean the ridership would drop coming from Greenpoint.

I think if the B26 were sent there, it would be more of a compromise for western Fulton Street passengers.

I never cared for wanting to extend that route [b83] past broadway junction...

I saw on subchat where someone suggested killing off the B20, & sending B83's up to Ridgewood...

someone else had the B20 doing some ridiculous loop in ENY & in starrett city....

anyway, you're big on figures....

care to check the cost effectiveness (cost/rider) & the efficiency rate of the B83....

Agreed.... That's what made it easy to eliminate the 39.... the fact that it didn't delve deep into any neighborhood/area.....

2nd point, it's more simpler than that....

The B25 is different from the B39 in that, the B25 isn't a glorified shuttle.... the route serves the heart of bed-stuy... regardless if it heads out to that park out in DUMBO or not, the route is going nowhere...

The B83 gets 10,030 riders per weekday and costs $1.32. On weekends, the ridership is 10,720 and the cost per passenger is $1.30. So you're right that it is successful in its current form. I just felt maybe it could be a little more successful if it served more destinations.

And I agree with you on the B39 vs. B25.

The B83 gets 10,030 riders per weekday and costs $1.32. On weekends, the ridership is 10,720 and the cost per passenger is $1.30. So you're right that it is successful in its current form. I just felt maybe it could be a little more successful if it served more destinations.

why do I get the feeling that you remember these numbers... you came up w/ that pretty quick.

props on the stat.

going by what I know about the ridership patterns of ppl. that use the route, and how the route runs (in general), I figured it was up there w/ the most efficient routes in our bus network.......

furthermore, just wanted to imply that the B83 isn't as short (duration-wise) as a lot of people might think...

I don't see how having the bus make that left turn would make it more difficult for pedestrians.

I think if the B26 were sent there, it would be more of a compromise for western Fulton Street passengers.

Nah, the turning of buses is not what I was getting at.... I wasn't trying to make a reference to vehicular traffic at all...

When I said Franklin/Fulton would be a madhouse, I'm referring to how much of a major xfer point it would become, if you were to have 48's sent to b'way junction, hence the increase in pedestrian traffic....

riders would ride b/w b'way junction & franklin... vast majority would disembark at franklin itself, leaving the 48 run almost empty on up to Greenpoint....

The ridership on the current B48 has dropped, period....

why do I get the feeling that you remember these numbers... you came up w/ that pretty quick.

props on the stat.

going by what I know about the ridership patterns of ppl. that use the route, and how the route runs (in general), I figured it was up there w/ the most efficient routes in our bus network.......

furthermore, just wanted to imply that the B83 isn't as short (duration-wise) as a lot of people might think...

Nah, the turning of buses is not what I was getting at.... I wasn't trying to make a reference to vehicular traffic at all...

When I said Franklin/Fulton would be a madhouse, I'm referring to how much of a major xfer point it would become, if you were to have 48's sent to b'way junction, hence the increase in pedestrian traffic....

riders would ride b/w b'way junction & franklin... vast majority would disembark at franklin itself, leaving the 48 run almost empty on up to Greenpoint....

The ridership on the current B48 has dropped, period....

I had the booklet from the public hearings right next to my laptop, so I just looked it up.

And I see what your saying with the B48. I didn't think that short distance from Fulton Street to Empire Blvd would make that big a difference in ridership, but I guess it has.

I dont see the point of sending the B26 there when we have the 25 which has a higher ridership. The B48 doesn't have enough riders to justify an extension to the junction, our anywhere else for that matter. Not only that, but to me that wouldn't make any sense to send it down Fulton. The street is already covered from end to end. My brother used to pick the 25 all the time, and there are plenty of times when the bus is SRO during the day. If they ever cut service it needs to be during the night.

The M15 is the second most used route on the planet, so that should be self explanatory. Not only that, but all they did was switch the service from limited to SBS. The buses were needed anyway to replace ones that are being retired.

@Shortline - Having buses terminate on Flatbush is not possible and will never happen. Flatbush is a nightmare during rush hours, as well as most of the rest of the day just as B35 stated. When I lived in Fort Greene, I caught the B54 daily, and all I can say is thank God it doesn't use Flatbush anymore!!

It has 53 riders between 1AM and 5AM. Anything below 45 riders gets eliminated.

Like I said, implementing faster service actually saves them money (in addition to attracting ridership).

But there's a serious problem when you can pump up SBS for one set of people and then tell other riders with no limited stop service that they can wait even longer...

I dont see the point of sending the B26 there when we have the 25 which has a higher ridership. The B48 doesn't have enough riders to justify an extension to the junction, our anywhere else for that matter. Not only that, but to me that wouldn't make any sense to send it down Fulton. The street is already covered from end to end. My brother used to pick the 25 all the time, and there are plenty of times when the bus is SRO during the day. If they ever cut service it needs to be during the night.

The M15 is the second most used route on the planet, so that should be self explanatory. Not only that, but all they did was switch the service from limited to SBS. The buses were needed anyway to replace ones that are being retired.

@Shortline - Having buses terminate on Flatbush is not possible and will never happen. Flatbush is a nightmare during rush hours, as well as most of the rest of the day just as B35 stated. When I lived in Fort Greene, I caught the B54 daily, and all I can say is thank God it doesn't use Flatbush anymore!!

And they've pledged to basically do whatever they had to to ensure that SBS was successful, including adding several SBS buses in addition to the service they were already providing. Granted, I know the new buses were needed and all of that, I'm just trying to understand where all of these funds came from to add all of these additional runs, not the actually buses themselves. I know the buses were paid for w/federal funds, but what about the additional runs? I'm curious as to how much it is costing them to add the additional M15 SBS that they've added while making adjustments to the new line. It just looks like they're catering to one set of people at a time when they're cutting service for others across the board, but I could be wrong. That's why I'd like to see some figures...

But there's a serious problem when you can pump up SBS for one set of people and then tell other riders with no limited stop service that they can wait even longer...

It's supply and demand. Plus there aren't that many lines that need LTD service that don't already have it.

And they've pledged to basically do whatever they had to to ensure that SBS was successful, including adding several SBS buses in addition to the service they were already providing. Granted, I know the new buses were needed and all of that, I'm just trying to understand where all of these funds came from to add all of these additional runs, not the actually buses themselves. I know the buses were paid for w/federal funds, but what about the additional runs? I'm curious as to how much it is costing them to add the additional M15 SBS that they've added while making adjustments to the new line. It just looks like they're catering to one set of people at a time when they're cutting service for others across the board, but I could be wrong. That's why I'd like to see some figures...

Ii would too, but not for your reasons. Remember, in order for SBS to be around, they had to kill off the M15LTD, so its not like our service doubled (if anything it runs at roughly the same frequency). Also, this has been in the planning stages for years, so it's not like the money came out of nowhere. Everything was preallocated before so this wouldn't be a budget buster.

Also, it's not a zero sum thing going on. It goes by whats needed vs. how much they can afford. If the service isn't justifying itself then there's no reason to pay for it. And I understand your frustration (I use to like in Brooklyn, so I know how bad service can get).

Archived