NY State audit report: MTA buses are too co$tly to maintain

w8Hou

Are the Orion V CNGs in good shape? One I rode on the old QBx1 actually went out of serivce because of problems with the rearview mirror or windshield or something, and more recently another one on the Q50 had a front door that wouldn't close. But this didn't come up until we were already en-route. The B/O had to turn off the engine at every stop to close the doors and than turn it back on, I'm glad she didn't just take the bus out of service right then and there.

Not what the MTA officials says, they still trash talk on the New Flyer artics because majority of the fleet has not surpass their goal in MDBF. It doesn't matter that is 126 or GH. They are all beaten up badly now and pretty much MTA really needs new artic fleet order, right now.

BTW, the Nova artics are also beaten up right now, no surprise that this weather is messing up the performance during this crappy weather.

Where are you getting your information from?

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That they do. They brought those Orions from Grand back to life after they ran them to the ground

BTW, they should've never left Fresh Pond in the first place. On one hand, sure we got more RTS but OTOH, they started falling falling apart sine we got some of the oldest RTSs so we was short on some buses.

Damn you ENY, you're my crosstown rival B)

HQ v. HQ :P

Which is what I suspected. It's a lot more the depots these buses go to than the buses themselves. The New Flyer Artics have always been good buses. The reason some of them look beat up is because some depots (Kingsbridge and Gun Hill) don't take care of them. In fact, Kingsbridge and Gun Hill have consistently ranked as two of the bottom range garages in the city. Every other garage who runs them don't have any issues with them.

I am not an Orion 7 fan myself, but when taken care of, they run pretty well. A lot of the garages that still have Orion 7 issues are also garages that have issues with all of their buses. College Point can't keep up due to how many buses it got, LGA and JFK have always been notoriously poor garages since before the TA came in.

100% true!

Not what the MTA officials says, they still trash talk on the New Flyer artics because majority of the fleet has not surpass their goal in MDBF. It doesn't matter that is 126 or GH. They are all beaten up badly now and pretty much MTA really needs new artic fleet order, right now.

BTW, the Nova artics are also beaten up right now, no surprise that this weather is messing up the performance during this crappy weather.

That is correct about the New Flyers. As far as the Nova's, I assume you are taking about the weather related traffic accidents, because other than that they are performing great.

Are the Orion V CNGs in good shape? One I rode on the old QBx1 actually went out of serivce because of problems with the rearview mirror or windshield or something, and more recently another one on the Q50 had a front door that wouldn't close. But this didn't come up until we were already en-route. The B/O had to turn off the engine at every stop to close the doors and than turn it back on, I'm glad she didn't just take the bus out of service right then and there.

No, it's time for the V CNG's to be retired. The 9800's are not as bad as the others though. The bad part about it is that all the old CNG's have to last until 2012 when the New Flyers come in.

I have friends who work for the MTA and I listen to archive MTA board meetings on the MTA site.

Okay because I never heard anything negative about the NF artics aside from their snow performance (which is atrocious) and currently their age (and don't take this as me saying you're wrong or anything).

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

HQ v. HQ B)

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!! :P

No, it's time for the V CNG's to be retired. The 9800's are not as bad as the others though. The bad part about it is that all the old CNG's have to last until 2012 when the New Flyers come in.

Don't the Orion Vs (and pretty much all the CNGs we got) have an automatic 12 year lifespan on their tanks? Cuz I know they have to be recertified but I'm not sure of how long they got

The ex-PBL Orion V CNGs are pretty much at that point in their lives where their CNG tanks are expiring... As mentioned before CNG tanks only last 12-13 years then they either need to be re-certified or replaced and both options can be costly...

Right now 709-750, 7214-7273, 8568-8581, 9932-9999 (708 is actually a 1997 model) are ready to kick the bucket as they are 1998 models... This year should be their final year unless they get a second chance at life. The rest are 1999 models and they can get at least another year squeezed out.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!! B)

Well we know it sure as hell ain't Fresh Pond!!!:P

ENY Baby!! Surface Transit Headquarters! You're just Brooklyn Division HQ! And not even located in Brooklyn!!!:eek:

Don't the Orion Vs (and pretty much all the CNGs we got) have an automatic 12 year lifespan on their tanks? Cuz I know they have to be recertified but I'm not sure of how long they got

For the most part yes. The New Flyers are approaching the deadline, and many of the V's have already passed it.

So why did all the 1997 Orion Vs in the city get DD50G engines while LI's got those Cummins engines?

Hell, LIB has such shit maintenance... the only two buses that I've been on and that have broken down were both Cummins powered Orion Vs and the operators were able to turn the engine back on. And damn how I love it when they fire the buses up. The worst I've seen with the NG CNGs as of yet is 1702 with a fudged up CNG tank cover (it looked like melted plastic) and more NGs with slightly loose rear panels, and one NG with the left half of the rear door bent, so it let cold air in. How it never affected the interlock is beyond me.

Only one of the 1997s got the DD50Gs when the ex-private bus lines ordered theirs, and that was 708 with the luggage racks. That's the only 1997 V CNG that WASN'T Long Island Bus. Lol

Long Island, when they ordered their 1997s, keep in mind that their earlier CNGs also used the L10Gs so they probably chose to remain with those engines. The L10 and all its variants were discontinued in 1998 anyway, which is why the 2000-2003s got DD50Gs instead.

Oh, and the C40LFs have had their tanks re-certified for another 2-4 years already, since they're likely to show up in College Point in the near future once the newer LFRs come in. Gleason maintained those buses pretty well.

Well we know it sure as hell ain't Fresh Pond!!!:o

ENY Baby!! Surface Transit Headquarters! You're just Brooklyn Division HQ! And not even located in Brooklyn!!!:eek:

Cuz we nice like that...respect the almighty duck :P

For the most part yes. The New Flyers are approaching the deadline, and many of the V's have already passed it.

Ah, I see. Isn't 708 retired already and is gonna be a museum bus?

I'm actually curious as to which garages have the worst maintenance (asides from Rockville Center and Mitchel field), and which fleet is the most problematic.

Btw, LI Bus has always had crappy maintenance. Them taking a long time to make sure the CNG tanks on these buses aren't exposed isn't surprising.

College Point and Baisly Park

Agree with East New York.

I believe one translation is

"The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil".

I hope maintainece for these buses don't get cut. Especially now, in a snow-filled winter.

I did not know that. I always heard, "Money is the root of evil"

The report specifically mentions LaGuardia on several occasions. The sad thing is that College Point and Baisley Park were amongst the best in their private days (more Baisley, but CP was still up there)

College Point was Queens Surface, and they maintained their buses very well. Baisley Park was Jamaica Buses. They also had average-above average maintenance...

These are my top 10 depot pics for overall quality maintenance.

1.) Michael J. Quill

2.) Jackie Gleason

3.) Eastchester

4.) Spring Creek

5.) East New York

6.) Manhattanville

7.) Flatbush

8.) 126 Street

9.) Queens Village

10.) Tie - West Farms/Gun Hill

Better and scratch of the list? lol

You scratch of West Farms...hummmmmm

West Farms is much better than they used to be, but they could be better.

College Point and Baisly Park

College Point Does a damn good job with the crap they have. And Baisley isn't as bad as a few of the others.

The report specifically mentions LaGuardia on several occasions. The sad thing is that College Point and Baisley Park were amongst the best in their private days (more Baisley, but CP was still up there)

Hands down LaGuardia is the worst systemwide. It's really sad too, because that is my favorite BC depot.

I did not know that. I always heard, "Money is the root of evil"

A lot of people think that.

1.) Michael J. Quill

2.) Jackie Gleason

3.) Eastchester

4.) Spring Creek

5.) East New York

6.) Manhattanville

7.) Flatbush

8.) 126 Street

9.) Queens Village

College Point Does a damn good job with the crap they have. And Baisley isn't as bad as a few of the others.

What people don't understand is that College Point is kind of pulling double duty. That depot has a lot of CNG buses that a time ago, would have been split with LGA. Sadly, because of LGA's hell bent attitude to not maintain their buses the TA refused to give them anymore CNGS. What's even worse is that the newest CNG buses in the city are either at Gleason or West Farms, and those are 2002-2004 Orion 7 CNGs. The newest bus at College Point is their 1999 Orion Vs, and they're at that point where they simply need to go.

Btw, Gun Hill surprised me with the way they maintain their Novas. I was positive those buses were going to split in half the second they got their hands on them.

So why did all the 1997 Orion Vs in the city get DD50G engines while LI's got those Cummins engines?

Hell, LIB has such shit maintenance... the only two buses that I've been on and that have broken down were both Cummins powered Orion Vs and the operators were able to turn the engine back on. And damn how I love it when they fire the buses up. The worst I've seen with the NG CNGs as of yet is 1702 with a fudged up CNG tank cover (it looked like melted plastic) and more NGs with slightly loose rear panels, and one NG with the left half of the rear door bent, so it let cold air in. How it never affected the interlock is beyond me.

NYCT V CNGs 581-610 came with Cummins L10G but eventually got re powered to the lousy DD50EGR, I heard Nassau wanted to repowered their Cummins to Detroits but they didn't have the $$$ though.

1.) Michael J. Quill

2.) Jackie Gleason

3.) Eastchester

4.) Spring Creek

5.) East New York

6.) Manhattanville

7.) Flatbush

8.) 126 Street

9.) Queens Village

I would replace the bronx depots with Ulmer Park and I agree! I would swap 5 and 7 though.

I would replace the bronx depots with Ulmer Park and I agree! I would swap 5 and 7 though.

Some time ago, I would have had Ulmer at #10 until they killed the transmission in 5075, and had a few other issues ass of late. So, they dropped to #11 on my list. Gun Hill moved up because they have been maintaining their Nova's and NG's quite well, and much better than I expected.

I have ENY where it is because they do a lot more than people know. Like maintaining some LGA buses because they can't do it themselves. Grand Ave. also ran some of those ex-Fresh Pond OG's into the ground. ENY nursed all of them back to good health. ENY buses may not always look good on the outside, but under the hood they are some of the best. They are excellent at maintaining Orion VII's, and of course the RTS' are their specialty.

. Sadly, because of LGA's hell bent attitude to not maintain their buses the TA refused to give them anymore CNGS.

I don't think its their "attitude," more likely the CNGs were placed at CP because of the fueling facilities at CP.

Originally Posted by Fresh Pond

Cuz I know they have to be recertified but I'm not sure of how long they got

Rest assured the MTA will 'recert' them regardless of condition.

I don't think its their "attitude," more likely the CNGs were placed at CP because of the fueling facilities at CP.

The CNG's were placed at CP because one of LGA's tanks exploded, and they will most likely never have CNG operations again. And if they do, it won't be before 2020. LGA "arguably" has the worst maintenance in the city.

Archived