NY State audit report: MTA buses are too co$tly to maintain

w8Hou

MTA buses, including those in Nassau County, cost too much to maintain and aren't being maintained well enough, according to an audit by the state comptroller released Thursday.

The audit by the office of Thomas DiNapoli found that nearly two-thirds of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority 's 29 bus depots did not meet their performance goals and that the cost per mile to maintain MTA buses was much higher than in other fleets in the United States.

DiNapoli's audit also found that nearly half of the MTA's required bus inspections were carried out poorly or not at all, and that mechanical failures among buses were more frequent than expected.

The audit noted that two depots in Nassau County used by Long Island Bus had "very low goals" for how long their vehicles should run between breakdowns.

The auditors recommended that the MTA improve the reliability of its fleet, find ways to bring down maintenance costs and prepare a "comprehensive maintenance plan" for buses.

In a written response, MTA Chief Operating Officer Charles Monheim said the agency "generally agrees" with the recommendations, has undertaken initiatives to reduce costs and "will continue to seek further improvements."

I hope this has nothing to do with that "ultra-low sulfur kerosene" experiment...

The most important job for LIB is to ensure its survival beyond June now that NIFA has taken over Nassau. Then they can think about improving maintenance/efficiency/service.

I hope this has nothing to do with that "ultra-low sulfur kerosene" experiment...

The most important job for LIB is to ensure its survival beyond June now that NIFA has taken over Nassau. Then they can think about improving maintenance/efficiency/service.

LIB is going to stay under MTA control for the long run.

Coming from a county that wanted to drop LIB into some random company's lap, what the hell? They can't even take care of their own money, what right do they have to tell the MTA how to use it?

And speaking of the MTA and Nassau, some stupid NIMBYs in Thomaston, where the Port Washington Branch of the LIRR runs, opposed the building of a track for trains to layover... but that also included building a new bridge to replace the one that the state DOT called "structurally deficient."

LIB is going to stay under MTA control for the long run.

Sorry, but I am doubting that given the fact that Nassau has pulled 100% of LIB funding for good.

Or does Nassau want the MTA to run LIB like an umbrella organization and contract out all the routes like SCT does?

Sorry, but I am doubting that given the fact that Nassau has pulled 100% of LIB funding for good.

Or does Nassau want the MTA to run LIB like an umbrella organization and contract out all the routes like SCT does?

They haven't pulled LIB funding for real. The courts just ordered them to pay the MTA. The state has taken over Nassau's finances, and they will be funding the MTA.

They haven't pulled LIB funding for real. The courts just ordered them to pay the MTA. The state has taken over Nassau's finances, and they will be funding the MTA.

The state did...http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/01/26/2011-01-26_nassau_county_finances_seized_by_new_york_state_after_wealthy_county_fails_to_ba.html

But the budget is not balanced yet.

LIB future is in limbo.

Nassau County, however, at this time, does not call those shots; yesterday, the Nassau Interim Finance Authority took over finances.

The state did...http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/01/26/2011-01-26_nassau_county_finances_seized_by_new_york_state_after_wealthy_county_fails_to_ba.html

But the budget is not balanced yet.

LIB future is in limbo.

But it's probably safe through June 2012, as the money will likely be found, probably at the expense of county workers.

But it's probably safe through June 2012, as the money will likely be found, probably at the expense of county workers.

Still has a uncertain future after they balanced the budget... that is if. Of course, MTA still continues to operate, barely.

Anyway, the audit report is here (pdf): http://www.osc.state.ny.us/audits/allaudits/093011/09s51.pdf

The MTA organization itself is too costly to maintain. Sadly, there is a need to completely overhaul management from the top to superintendents and a new corporate policy to respect all employees, allow creativity, and end ass kiss promotions, the MTA will continue to waste more $$$$ with less and less results.

The MTA organization itself is too costly to maintain. Sadly, there is a need to completely overhaul management from the top to superintendents and a new corporate policy to respect all employees, allow creativity, and end ass kiss promotions, the MTA will continue to waste more $$$$ with less and less results.

Very well said. The (MTA) has gone too far. It's the old adage, money is the root of all evil

Very well said. The (MTA) has gone too far. It's the old adage, money is the root of all evil

Agree with East New York.

I believe one translation is

"The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil".

I hope maintainece for these buses don't get cut. Especially now, in a snow-filled winter.

Maybe If they didn't buy so many damn Hybirds they would not be dealing with this problem now, Stupid MTA and the LI Buses look like pure shit, it took them 3 month to replace a CNG hat on 1603 after I complained about it more than a 1,000 times and 1702 where you can see the CNG Tank due to one of the Hats being pushed back and I complained about that.

Maybe If they didn't buy so many damn Hybirds they would not be dealing with this problem now, Stupid MTA and the LI Buses look like pure shit, it took them 3 month to replace a CNG hat on 1603 after I complained about it more than a 1,000 times and 1702 where you can see the CNG Tank due to one of the Hats being pushed back and I complained about that.

I'm actually curious as to which garages have the worst maintenance (asides from Rockville Center and Mitchel field), and which fleet is the most problematic.

Btw, LI Bus has always had crappy maintenance. Them taking a long time to make sure the CNG tanks on these buses aren't exposed isn't surprising.

I'm actually curious as to which garages have the worst maintenance (asides from Rockville Center and Mitchel field), and which fleet is the most problematic.

Obviously, Staten Island depots before opening 2 new depots. LGA, JFK, CP.

The depots carried New Flyer artics.

Also the depots who has Orion VII HEV or CNG all generations.

Obviously, Staten Island depots before opening 2 new depots. LGA, JFK, CP.

The depots carried New Flyer artics.

Also the depots who has Orion VII HEV or CNG all generations.

Aren't Quill, 126, West Farms, Manhattanville, Jackie Gleason and Spring Creek held in high regards despite operating all of the buses you mentioned?

Aren't Quill, 126, West Farms, Manhattanville, Jackie Gleason and Spring Creek held in high regards despite operating all of the buses you mentioned?

They sure are! West Farms is much better then they used to be, but I would still scratch them from the top of the list though. 126 Street just got Orions, so its too soon to tell how they will do. ENY does a pretty good job at maintaining their Orions as well.

He just doesn't like them, so he will always make them out to be trash. Yet, the depots you mentioned above do a damn good job at maintaining them. So what does that say about the depots that don't?

No surprise the Long Island Bus fleet is messed up, the buses really aren't maintained properly, the 1997s were pretty much on their final legs, the buses looked shot, they were sounding awful, wonky, all kinds of problems. Holes and cracks along the bodies!

IMG_0369.jpg

1518 from last summer

The NG CNGs are also no exception. On a particular N4 ride on a fan trip I'd been on the rear lights totally fell out of place and behind the rear panel once we got off at Jamaica. The bumps we hit shook the lights loose. I simply shook my head.

EPA's also one to blame. The modifications and filtration systems used to control emissions on engines can only work but for so long. If those devices are to fail and all that expect that engine not to work or not be back on the streets until it gets repaired. It's ridiculous. I was watching a video on Detroit Diesel's recent engine line-up and the emissions reduction technology installed on their engines is enough to sicken you... It's totally pointless and unneeded. Just more trouble for those on the road if something craps out.

No, this all general on the state buses that depots have a tough time to maintain due to the equipment that is really need to be special attention since the some depots have the capable to handle the issues more so then other depots who continue to be joke at.

Majority of the depots who have Orion VII and New Flyer artic vehicles are continued to have problems and they try their best to iron out the issues when it meets the service.

If MTA did agrees this damning report, they are not happy at all. It needs to be change ASAP.

They sure are! West Farms is much better then they used to be, but I would still scratch them from the top of the list though.

Better and scratch of the list? lol

126 Street just got Orions, so its too soon to tell how they will do.

You be surprise, 126 has trouble to keep all of its buses getting out in this weather right now.

He just doesn't like them, so he will always make them out to be trash.

I dont like them because of trash? right....

Yet, the depots you mentioned above do a damn good job at maintaining them. So what does that say about the depots that don't?

You scratch of West Farms...hummmmmm

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

ENY does a pretty good job at maintaining their Orions as well.

That they do. They brought those Orions from Grand back to life after they ran them to the ground

BTW, they should've never left Fresh Pond in the first place. On one hand, sure we got more RTS but OTOH, they started falling falling apart sine we got some of the oldest RTSs so we was short on some buses.

Damn you ENY, you're my crosstown rival ;)

No, this all general on the state buses that depots have a tough time to maintain due to the equipment that is really need to be special attention since the some depots have the capable to handle the issues more so then other depots who continue to be joke at.

Majority of the depots who have Orion VII and New Flyer artic vehicles are continued to have problems and they try their best to iron out the issues when it meets the service.

If MTA did agrees this damning report, they are not happy at all. It needs to be change ASAP.

Which is what I suspected. It's a lot more the depots these buses go to than the buses themselves. The New Flyer Artics have always been good buses. The reason some of them look beat up is because some depots (Kingsbridge and Gun Hill) don't take care of them. In fact, Kingsbridge and Gun Hill have consistently ranked as two of the bottom range garages in the city. Every other garage who runs them don't have any issues with them.

I am not an Orion 7 fan myself, but when taken care of, they run pretty well. A lot of the garages that still have Orion 7 issues are also garages that have issues with all of their buses. College Point can't keep up due to how many buses it got, LGA and JFK have always been notoriously poor garages since before the TA came in.

Which is what I suspected. It's a lot more the depots these buses go to than the buses themselves. The New Flyer Artics have always been good buses. The reason some of them look beat up is because some depots (Kingsbridge and Gun Hill) don't take care of them. In fact, Kingsbridge and Gun Hill have consistently ranked as two of the bottom range garages in the city. Every other garage who runs them don't have any issues with them.

Not what the MTA officials says, they still trash talk on the New Flyer artics because majority of the fleet has not surpass their goal in MDBF. It doesn't matter that is 126 or GH. They are all beaten up badly now and pretty much MTA really needs new artic fleet order, right now.

BTW, the Nova artics are also beaten up right now, no surprise that this weather is messing up the performance during this crappy weather.

Archived