Stranded "N" Train Riders Take A Stand

TransitStop

Dozens of riders who were stuck on an "N" train in Brooklyn say if it wasn't for a phone call to NY1, they would have been forced out into the snowy night with nowhere else to go. NY1's John Mancini filed the following report.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority now has customer advocates during big storms, trying to avoid the bungles that trapped riders on trains last month. But sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. Like when they tell you you have to get off the train in the middle of a snowstorm.

"I said 'I have nowhere to go. I'm not leaving. You know, there's no way I'm going to get home.' Because I remembered the blizzard," said stranded transit rider Eva Mahoney.

Mahoney, a Dyker Heights resident, was heading home from Manhattan when she found herself stuck with dozens of others on an "N" train at the Coney Island terminal Thursday. When the trains were suspended about 2 a.m. they were told to leave. Bus service had already been shut down for hours. So Mahoney got on her cell phone.

"One of the first places I called was NY1," Mahoney said.

Soon, she was on the air, live from the "N" train with photos she had sent to NY1's newspix email. And with that, riders were able to stay on the heated train until service started rolling again at 6 a.m.

In December, riders on an A train were trapped for nearly eight hours. To prevent a repeat, officials now aim to stop service before the snow does it for them. The MTA says mostly, it worked.

"There were trains that were stuck for short periods of time. There were not trains that were stuck overnight. In every case we worked to be able to move trains into a station where people could leave the train and be able to get assistance to do whatever they needed to do," said MTA Chairman & CEO Jay Walder.

Transit officials say the N riders were asked to exit because the train was needed for "sweeper service" to help clear tracks. There was too big a chance it could get stuck to allow any riders, and they should have made that clear to them -- not that it would have persuaded them to leave.

"If this train is the sweeper train, put us in the one next to it, ya know? That's not a valid argument that we had to leave the area," Mahoney said.

The MTA credits its new strategies with restoring service on most major lines for most of the Thursday morning rush. But officials say they clearly could have done more to make the Coney Island passengers more comfortable.

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/

what are your thoughts, did they have a "right" to refuse the MTA's request or not.

From reading this here my reaction. With these riders, the riders had every right to demand that they be transported to a major station, like Stillwell and wait there until the storm ended. At same time the train crew was very rude and should get a complaint for being rude.

Unless it was closed the local NYC media was incorrect in that Stillwell Terminal does have bathrooms. Why could not the (MTA) contact a red cross to provide water to these people? The trains did need to stop and just proceed to the next closest stop.

It sounds like the MTA was just trying to cover thier behinds. They wanted to discharge the train to see if it could make it so it they could then maybe service would keep running and avoid paying train crews extra overtime. Since customers refused they just stop service and the crew gets payed overtime to baby sit the train and bring it to the terminal when service is restored. Must be a good pay day for that crew.

what are your thoughts, did they have a "right" to refuse the MTA's request or not.

Yes. If stranded at the station they did not have anywhere warm or safe to go. Their outrage may have actually saved the MTA the embarrasment of if someone had tried to survive the outdoors and gotten severe frostbite or worse.

If the train was needed as a sweeper, an alternative heated area (whether inside or outside of a train) needed to be provided.

Archived