Question about the R train

Tinamarie

(E) runs local I believe.

Correct. The last Manhatatn Bound (R) leaves Forest Hills/71st Ave at around 11pm running only to Canal Street.

While the last Queens Bound (R) arrives at 71st Ave Terminal around 12 Midnight-12:15am.

The (E)runs local in Queens as follows. Manhattan Bound appx. 1030pm-6am and Queens Bound appx 12:15am-630am.

To get the exact schedule for the (R) and (E) go to this website.

http://www.mta.info and click subway schedules.

Guest lance25
Didn't the (F) make local stops at one point during the nighttime hours?

Based on the scans of transit maps I have, the late night service patterns of the (E) and (F) swapped sometime in the mid 1980s. Remember, this was before Archer Avenue opened, so both lines went to Jamaica-179 St. Prior to the swap, the (E) was the express while the (F) ran local during the overnight hours.

Didn't the (F) make local stops at one point during the nighttime hours?

Based on the scans of transit maps I have, the late night service patterns of the (E) and (F) swapped sometime in the mid 1980s. Remember, this was before Archer Avenue opened, so both lines went to Jamaica-179 St. Prior to the swap, the (E) was the express while the (F) ran local during the overnight hours.

The (F) ran local in Queens during late nights up until 2001 when it was rerouted through the 63rd Street line.

Since the opening of the Archer Avenue line, the (F) took a few breaks from the Queens Boulevard line during late nights. Usually it would run to 21st Street Queensbridge at night (57/6 until 1987) until the (:( took that role in 1997.

The (F) ran local in Queens during late nights up until 2001 when it was rerouted through the 63rd Street line.

Since the opening of the Archer Avenue line, the (F) took a few breaks from the Queens Boulevard line during late nights. Usually it would run to 21st Street Queensbridge at night (57/6 until 1987) until the (:( took that role in 1997.

This sounds partially right to me. However, I'm fairly certain the (:) never ran to Manhattan late nights, it was always just the West End shuttle. During the late 90's, there was a late night (S6) shuttle from Queensbridge to 2nd Avenue instead, confirmed by Michael Calcagno's maps here. (Note that map has both the (E) and the (F) running local. I'm not sure whether or not that's correct.)

Before the (F) was extended to Jamaica 24/7, the (G) provided late night local service on Queens Boulevard.

Guest lance25

After looking closely at those maps along with other sources, I noticed that the (E) didn't swap with the (F) like I originally stated. The (E) didn't start running local during late nights until 1997. When Archer Avenue opened in '88, the extended (R) ran to 179 St all times via Hillside/Queens Blvd Local until the early '90s when it went back to Forest Hills and the (G) was extended in its place late nights.

This sounds partially right to me. However, I'm fairly certain the (:( never ran to Manhattan late nights, it was always just the West End shuttle. During the late 90's, there was a late night (S6) shuttle from Queensbridge to 2nd Avenue instead, confirmed by Michael Calcagno's maps here. (Note that map has both the (E) and the (F) running local. I'm not sure whether or not that's correct.)

Before the (F) was extended to Jamaica 24/7, the (G) provided late night local service on Queens Boulevard.

You're right, it was a variant of the (S6).

Not to get off topic, but I was the one to request the (S6) smilie lol. I still hope for an (S8)...

anyway, I always thought right at Midnight every day there is an (E) train via the 70(EE) going From Whitehall Street to Jamaica Center Via Queens Blvd Local. I remember once when I was 8 there was an R32 (E) train at Whitehall Street and I was at the Front Window until Woodhaven Blvd where I got off.

I never knew that the (F) runs express during late nights :(

Ok gang why not ask me the old man of these boards who was around in this time period. So here the real low down since the 1980's on late night Queens Blvd subway service.

1980's Queens Blvd service (prior to Archer Ave)

(F)ran as local.

(E)ran express 24/7 between Forest Hills and Queens Plaza.

(G)ran to/from Queens Plaza.

QB late night service 1988-97.

®ran 24/7 to/from Forest Hills until 1990 when it reduced as a Bay Ridge shuttle.

(G)ran to/from Queens Plaza until 1990. Extended to/from 179th St until 1997.

(E)(F) lines had same overnight pattern listed above prior to opening of Archer until 1989.

(F)ran only between 57th/6th and Stillwell 1989-'97.

Extended to 21st/QueensBridge soon after around 1990. This pattern remained in effect until 1997.

(G)extended to 179th St-Jamaica late nights only between 1990-97.

1997-2001 QB late night service

(E) and (F) runs as late night QB Local.

(S)runs between 21st-Queensbridge and 2nd Ave/Houston St. From 1998-'01 ran on the Broadway line between 21st Queensbridge and 57th/7th. extended weekdays to 34th St/Hearld Sq.

QB Overnight service 2001-'10

(E) Local.

(G)ran to Forest Hills.

(F)Express 24/7.

Correct me if I am wrong but this is the Overnight QB subway service.

Ok gang why not ask me the old man of these boards who was around in this time period. So here the real low down since the 1980's on late night Queens Blvd subway service.

Good plan. :( As far as I know, it's all correct.

But it begs the question... what's the point of having 2 locals? From '88 to '90, both the (F) and (R) ran local, and from '97 to '01 both the (E) and (F) ran local.

I suppose it makes sense if they think they need shorter headways (the same reason the (1)(2) or (4)(6) both run local today... but if they can survive with one express and one local now, why didn't they do it then?

Your memory is correct. The (:( was the middle part of the "three-headed train" that served 21st Street-Queensbridge in the (Q6Av) (B) and (F).

This sounds partially right to me. However, I'm fairly certain the (B) never ran to Manhattan late nights, it was always just the West End shuttle. During the late 90's, there was a late night (S6) shuttle from Queensbridge to 2nd Avenue instead, confirmed by Michael Calcagno's maps here. (Note that map has both the (E) and the (F) running local. I'm not sure whether or not that's correct.)

Good plan. :( As far as I know, it's all correct.

But it begs the question... what's the point of having 2 locals? From '88 to '90, both the (F) and (R) ran local, and from '97 to '01 both the (E) and (F) ran local.

I suppose it makes sense if they think they need shorter headways (the same reason the (1)(2) or (4)(6) both run local today... but if they can survive with one express and one local now, why didn't they do it then?

I guess it was the frequency issues. Since almost all of the subway lines in NYC are supposed to run every 20-30 minutes overnights, the QB coordior which is always busy 24/7 and needed the trains even in the owl hours.

It's been years since I been on the QB line overnights but with 'local' riders between QP and Forest Hills waiting up to 20 minutes for the (E), I think the (MTA) should look at the (F) running local overnights only.

When the fiscal crisis ends, one of the first subway service that should be restored is 24/7 (R) service along the whole route between Bay Ridge and 71st Ave. Then have the (F) return to being a 24/7 QB express.

reactions?

What would happen to the (E) then: local or express?

I know Forest Glen would scream but overnights the (E) should be a local with or without the (R). The (F) has a much longer route. Not to mention the QB stations are busier than any other subway (other than Midtown Manhattan)systemwide so they need frequent service even late nights.

I ride Monday thru Thursday morning from 71 avenue to 42nd street. I take whichever train comes first--usually the F at 4:20 AM, but sometimes the E at 4:23 AM.

The F usually runs express to Queensbridge, and the E runs local all the way.

However, with all the maintenance going on, there can be lots of variations, sometimes the conductor doesn't even know until it happens.

The F can go local all the way to Queensbridge, it can go local to Roosevelt then express. Or express to Roosevelt then local. Many times it will go express down the local track. Somestimes it will detour on the 53rd street tunnel to sixth. Rarest of all would be for it to detour on the E line to W4th.

The E will sometimes run express to Roosevelt, or express from Roosevelt to Queens Plaza, or express all the way like in daytime. Recently, the E has been running local to 36th street then onto the F line to W4th.

In years past, whenever the E had to detour through the F 63rd street tunnel, they would extend the G from Court Square to 71 avenue.

Now instead, they run shuttle buses to serve the bypassed stations.

The E has also detoured thru the 60th street tunnel to Whitehall Street.

I remember the good old days when we had the E and F running express all times, the GG running local all times to 71 Ave, and the BMT QT (Brighton local via Montague tunnel running local to 71 ave except late nights.

Archived