Another pol proves how little they know about transit.

Kamen Rider

I was skiming through Second ave Sags when I came across this article

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2011/02/08/lappin-m15-select-bus-service-garners-a-b

city Councilwoman Jessica Lappin gave the M15SBS a report card last week. She gave it an overall B-, with it a C- in accesabilty, becuase the back part of the bus is raised higher and you need to go up steps to get to those seats.

Apprently, she doesn't realise that that's where the engine, transmission, fuel tank and drivetrain go.

For seniors those steps can be a problem, but yes you're right... The engine, transmission, etc. needs to go somewhere. I just observe on the M2 line how beneficial those low kneeling buses come into play. Yesterday on the way back from Whole Foods, there was a wheelchair and a guy who used a walker. Who knows how long we would've waited if we had the older buses like the RTSs... We were in and out w/a breeze, so kudos to the MTA for those improvements. :cool: I can remember often how many buses would break down trying to load a simple wheelchair.

For seniors those steps can be a problem, but yes you're right... The engine, transmission, etc. needs to so somewhere. I just observe on the M2 line how beneficial those low kneeling buses come into play. Yesterday on the way back from Whole Foods, there was a wheelchair and a guy who used a walker. Who knows how long we would've waited if we had the older buses like the RTSs... We were in and out w/a breeze, so kudos to the MTA for those improvements. :cool: I can remember often how many buses would break down trying to load a simple wheelchair.

Personally, I like the high-floor buses better than the hybrids for the simple reason that, on crowded lines, people don’t move all the way back (I never saw how people could be that lazy. I mean it is only 2 steps).

But as long as the front of the bus is low, that doesn’t present a problem for the seniors. The 6 seats in the front are reserved for the elderly (if an elderly person asks you to give up the seat, you have to give it to them)

This remind me of a time when I was on the S48 on Saturday. 3 people refused to get off their for a person in a wheelchair, so bus driver kicked them off (a passenger commented that they should’ve just put the wheelchair on top on them) :)

Personally, I like the high-floor buses better than the hybrids for the simple reason that, on crowded lines, people don’t move all the way back (I never saw how people could be that lazy. I mean it is only 2 steps).

But as long as the front of the bus is low, that doesn’t present a problem for the seniors. The 6 seats in the front are reserved for the elderly (if an elderly person asks you to give up the seat, you have to give it to them)

This remind me of a time when I was on the S48 on Saturday. 3 people refused to get off their for a person in a wheelchair, so bus driver kicked them off (a passenger commented that they should’ve just put the wheelchair on top on them) :)

The only problem is that I've been on buses like the M7 for example that carry a sh*tload of seniors, so those first 6 or so seats reserved for them will be full and you'll get more seniors getting on looking for younger folks to get up wherever those seats may be...

Very funny about the S48... LOL

I like the older buses only because they're a bit roomier. Those Orions just don't seem to be wide enough in the aisles, so folks are literally banging into each other when it's SRO and there's just no where to stand.

Whenever I see a senior, I always offer them my seat. I guess some people just don’t have sympathy for them.

I think that they should do what they do on the subway and have a pole in the middle. I remember recently, I tried moving to the back, but I ended up being stuck between 2 people with nothing to hold on to. Luckily, I was able to lean on a person behind me (my back has never felt better) :)

That was just plain ignorant. Put the wheelchair on top of us? Really? SMH

Whenever I see a senior, I always offer them my seat. I guess some people just don’t have sympathy for them.

I think that they should do what they do on the subway and have a pole in the middle. I remember recently, I tried moving to the back, but I ended up being stuck between 2 people with nothing to hold on to. Luckily, I was able to lean on a person behind me (my back has never felt better) :)

I always stand on the subway since I find it too dirty to sit and plus I'm only going short distances anyway usually so it's better to let those desperate for a seat sit down.

Same thing on the local bus. If it's somewhat clean and not crowded I'll sit down, but if it gets too crowded I'll just get up and stand. I don't like folks breathing on all on me anyway so I'd rather stand until it's time for me to get off.

Sorry to break it to them but that's LOW FLOORS for you! They can't be fully low floor because of crucial parts that are below the chassis, Just as how the front wheels take up much needed space, they asked for it!

Enjoy your crowded buses because you refuse to climb stairs. Such is life.

That was just plain ignorant. Put the wheelchair on top of us? Really? SMH

Obviously they didn't mean it seriously. They were just pissed that some able-bodied people refused to move over for a person getting on in a wheelchair.

I always stand on the subway since I find it too dirty to sit and plus I'm only going short distances anyway usually so it's better to let those desperate for a seat sit down.

Same thing on the local bus. If it's somewhat clean and not crowded I'll sit down, but if it gets too crowded I'll just get up and stand. I don't like folks breathing on all on me anyway so I'd rather stand until it's time for me to get off.

It depends on the situation. If the bus is crushloaded and there is still a seat left, I'll sit in it out of consideration for my fellow passengers, assuming nobody has any intentions of sitting in it, of course (so I don't take up any space standing, and we can fit in a couple of extra people if we need to) If the bus only has a couple of seats left, I usually just stand.

I was skiming through Second ave Sags when I came across this article

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2011/02/08/lappin-m15-select-bus-service-garners-a-b

city Councilwoman Jessica Lappin gave the M15SBS a report card last week. She gave it an overall B-, with it a C- in accesabilty, becuase the back part of the bus is raised higher and you need to go up steps to get to those seats.

Apprently, she doesn't realise that that's where the engine, transmission, fuel tank and drivetrain go.

I guess the fact that 80% of the bus is accessible doesn't mean anything.....

Archived