M7A and New Haven

Vistausss

Since the New Haven-line is the busiest of them all in MNRR and the M2's are causing so much problems, why don't they just pull out some M7A's from the Hudson-line and use the M7A's on the New Haven-line?

As several other members have stated, the M7As are technically incapable of running on the New Haven line past Mount Vernon east; north of there the third rail ends and is replaced by 12.5kV-60Hz overhead catenary. The M7As only have third rail shoes, but not pantographs, and so cannot take power from the catenary. There is a marked increase in diesel service along the line to try to cover for equipment currently in need of repair, but the only locomotive we have that can go in and out of GCT is the P32ACDM, many of which are needed for upper Hudson service due to a lack of electrification. The only way I can think of to get around that would be to use the BL20GHs to run several trains from New Haven to Fordham, turning in the wye at Mott to go back up and using M7As as a rail bridge to/from GCT. Either that, or we call up the FL9s one last time. :P

As several other members have stated, the M7As are technically incapable of running on the New Haven line past Mount Vernon east; north of there the third rail ends and is replaced by 12.5kV-60Hz overhead catenary. The M7As only have third rail shoes, but not pantographs, and so cannot take power from the catenary. There is a marked increase in diesel service along the line to try to cover for equipment currently in need of repair, but the only locomotive we have that can go in and out of GCT is the P32ACDM, many of which are needed for upper Hudson service due to a lack of electrification. The only way I can think of to get around that would be to use the BL20GHs to run several trains from New Haven to Fordham, turning in the wye at Mott to go back up and using M7As as a rail bridge to/from GCT. Either that, or we call up the FL9s one last time. :P

Arent all the FL9's off MNCR property by now sold for scrap/sold to a railroad equipment broker, and even if thats not the case IIRC the last few years of their service lifes most of them were only used in diesel mode due to the 3 rail shoes removed

I was just kidding about that, but it actually turns out that we have one at the Harmon shops, CDOT has a few on their property, and the Naugatuck railroad has #2049 up and running. I don't know about third rail gear, but it is entirely possible that at least one of them still has functioning shoes. If that is the case, then we might consider it if things get really bad and the M8s don't come into regular service. Hell, if they don't then we can always stick them on truncated runs to Fordham or Yankees-153 along with the BL20GHs like I suggested and coordinate an M7A rail bridge, or use them for service between Croton-Harmon and Poughkeepsie connecting to lower-Hudson MU consists and thus free up P32s for NH GCT runs.

LOL what good would that do....

To have a shuttle service between GCT and Mount Vernon? And then an M2 the rest of the way so that the M2's have to make less miles thus preventing them from getting too much problems? Or diesel shuttle from Mount Vernon the rest of the way? It could be possible, then at least there is GCT shuttle of reliable M7 trains.

To have a shuttle service between GCT and Mount Vernon? And then an M2 the rest of the way so that the M2's have to make less miles thus preventing them from getting too much problems? Or diesel shuttle from Mount Vernon the rest of the way? It could be possible, then at least there is GCT shuttle of reliable M7 trains.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea...

That still makes little to no sense , 95% of the ridership on the New Haven line is New Rochelle and Eastward.....

Etymology

From Dutch pappekak, from pap (“mush”) + kak (“(vulgar) shit”).

[edit] Noun

poppycock (uncountable)

1. (colloquial) foolish talk; nonsense.

From Wiktionary

I'm glad that someone clarified that for everyone else. Perhaps the "Official Dictionary Thread" should be started in the Off-Topic Lounge.

Arent all the FL9's off MNCR property by now sold for scrap/sold to a railroad equipment broker, and even if thats not the case IIRC the last few years of their service lifes most of them were only used in diesel mode due to the 3 rail shoes removed

The FL9s are still visible from Union Station's platforms, and while coming into New Haven Eastbound.

• 2 weeks later...
good to know but are they serviceable tho?

Not at all, they've had some parts removed I believe, and there is a 99.9% chance that they'll never be used in revenue service again.

I believe that right now they're working out museum arrangements, future, etc.

Archived