Study shows that transportation on S.I. has not kept up w/demand

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the West Shore Light Rail is a real light rail extension from the HBLR and the North Shore Line as an SIR route is a real proposal too. I am not proposing any fantasies here. Staten Island already has SBS. I am saying that a second SBS bus route would help Staten Island some more, and I am going to prove that my proposals are real.

BRT_Ideas_Template.jpg

staten-island1.jpg

Staten Island already has SBS. I am saying that a second SBS bus route would help Staten Island some more, and I am going to prove that my proposals are real.

When did we get SBS service on Staten Island????

The (S79) is said to be a done deal, but it is not up an running yet. If anything I'd be in favour of SBS service before any rail link. I want to see it on the (S53) also. Perhaps they could somehow widen some of the roads along the way or reroute the (S53) SBS buses.

Sorry Roadcruiser, but it ain't happening. Plans were dropped for SBS in Staten Island I believe, so it seems the Islanders will have to shut up and deal with what they got.

You being the Brooklynite, I'm sure you'd love that. Me on the other hand I do show love for Brooklyn since I grew up there and still go back there. Why all the hatred for Staten Island?

You being the Brooklynite, I'm sure you'd love that. Me on the other hand I do show love for Brooklyn since I grew up there and still go back there. Why all the hatred for Staten Island?

I don't hate Staten Island. It's just that they expect so much just because they own property there. Plus it's their fault for living there without researching the transit system. How would've they expected to get to work on their first day living there?

I don't think he's showing any hatred for Staten Island: He's just saying that there are NIMBYs out there who oppose +SBS+ on the S79, and that, if they blocked the S79 +SBS+, they deserve to suffer the consequences.

The people along Hylan Blvd can be divided into 4 groups, each with different (and in this case, competing) interests:

The merchants at the stores along Hylan Blvd

The drivers along Hylan Blvd

The local bus riders along Hylan Blvd

The express bus riders along Hylan Blvd

The express bus riders can be grouped either with the drivers or local bus riders, depending on what mode of transportation they use other than the express bus (most express bus riders own cars, but there are the ones that don't, and the ones that do own cars, but also use the local bus system)

Basically, the merchants and drivers in the area opposed the creation of a bus lane because it would take away parking from them. The local bus riders obviously want bus lanes, as it would speed up their trip. (Since express bus riders aren't going to use the +SBS+ at the same time that they are using the express bus, they can be grouped with either the drivers or local bus riders)

As a compromise, the MTA decided to make the center lanes into bus lanes. I'm pretty sure they are going to go through with this modified plan.

Personally, I think that that is too much inconvenience for the bus riders, if they do it the way I think they plan to do it (have the S79 stop in the center of the street, while the S78 stops at the curb). Riders going down Hylan Blvd wouldn't have the advantage of the combined frequencies.

I think that there should be a curbside bus lane running the full length of Hylan Blvd, at least during rush hours. At the most crowded point (between Ebbitts Street an Midland Avenue), there are 8 express routes and 2 local routes using the lane. Even on the rest of Hylan Blvd, you'll have at least 60 buses per hour using the lane.

The DOT can work with the merchants to find parking on the side streets in the area.

By the way, Roadcrusier1, those BRT plans aren't an official MTA document. They are basically a fantasy map drawn up by some transportation organization. While they do make good points about having a well-connected BRT system, some of those lines are ridiculously long, and would be extremely delay-prone.

I do think that if that map was employed however it would be a different bus line at each borough. For example a Staten Island bus would start from Staten Island, and end at Bay Ridge-95th Street. Then people would transfer to a Brooklyn bus, and travel to Dekalb Avenue where they would transfer to a bus to Manhattan, and so on. Thus this would create an efficent, and working BRT. All of the buses are SBS/BRT, and thus would work like a subway line fast, and efficent.

I do think that if that map was employed however it would be a different bus line at each borough. For example a Staten Island bus would start from Staten Island, and end at Bay Ridge-95th Street. Then people would transfer to a Brooklyn bus, and travel to Dekalb Avenue where they would transfer to a bus to Manhattan, and so on. Thus this would create an efficent, and working BRT. All of the buses are SBS/BRT, and thus would work like a subway line fast, and efficent.

Wouldn't it be easier just to take the bus to 95th and take the (R)? lol

In reality, that's what would probably happen, but the organization that is pushing for this to happen wants those ridiculously long routes.

Personally, I think the MTA could be more ambitious in at least trying to implement +SBS+. Routes that run on narrow streets like the B35 and B46 could use the pre-boarding fare payment and traffic signal priority, even if they can't install bus lanes on the street.

We are trying to serve other neighborhoods that doesn't have subway service. The Brooklyn SBS would most likely traverse Fort Hamilton Parkway to serve Dyker Heights, and Sunset Park. This is just my take. It would then go onto the BQE, and run express along Third Avenue in Brooklyn where it would branch off at Red Hook, and serve Red Hook, then it would go down the Brooklyn Baterry Tunnel, and then it would terminate at South Ferry, and that is the Brooklyn Bus. Then at South Ferry you can board the M15 SBS, and keep on going up.

It would be better: You wouldn't have to wait for 20 people at each stop to dip in their MetroCard.

Another advantage would be that the B35 +SBS+ would pretty much have to be limited the whole length of the route, so Sunset Park would get additional service (the way Water Street received additional service when the M15 +SBS+ was created and the way Sheepshead Bay will receive additional bus service when the B44 +SBS+ is created)

And of course, the same would apply for the B46.

I am sure the Nostrand Avenue SBS which would open soon would solve some of the problems we are currently talking about for South Brooklyn. This is from the (MTA) not me. Again though we should go back on topic. We should be talking about SBS on Staten Island. We can use the Nostrand Avenue SBS as an example, and see what we can do for Staten Island.

Nostrand%20Ave.jpg

The B44 might relieve the B46 a little bit, since passengers who live halfway between the 2 might decide to take the B44, rather than the B46, but the Utica Avenue corridor still needs help.

In any case, I don't see any need for full-fledged +SBS+ on any part of Staten Island, except for Hylan Blvd. A few routes can use limited-stop service and traffic signal priority, but I don't think any other routes need off-board fare payment.

The one exception would be if the MTA decided to reroute the S98 over the Goethals Bridge and send it to Newark Airport. Once they do that, and has a decent frequency (15 minutes or less), then we can talk about +SBS+ on Forest Avenue. It is a good idea, but it might take a while to happen.

I don't hate Staten Island. It's just that they expect so much just because they own property there. Plus it's their fault for living there without researching the transit system. How would've they expected to get to work on their first day living there?

What exactly is "so much" in your opinion? Should we not expect our buses to show up at all? So because we have a lot of home owners they're not entitled to get decent service like the other boroughs? Forget about adovcating for more service. In most cases, we're just asking to have the buses we have show up! We don't really need light rails and all of that although it would be nice, just provide the service that we have and things would be a lot better. That's not asking for much at all!

NJ has bare bones service and when I use it I don't complain about the service, why?? Because the buses show up as scheduled.

When I moved here, local service wasn't that bad. Buses for the most part did show up even if they were a little late, but I guess new management came in and things just went down hill for years.

I don't think he's showing any hatred for Staten Island: He's just saying that there are NIMBYs out there who oppose +SBS+ on the S79, and that, if they blocked the S79 +SBS+, they deserve to suffer the consequences.

The people along Hylan Blvd can be divided into 4 groups, each with different (and in this case, competing) interests:

The merchants at the stores along Hylan Blvd

The drivers along Hylan Blvd

The local bus riders along Hylan Blvd

The express bus riders along Hylan Blvd

The express bus riders can be grouped either with the drivers or local bus riders, depending on what mode of transportation they use other than the express bus (most express bus riders own cars, but there are the ones that don't, and the ones that do own cars, but also use the local bus system)

Basically, the merchants and drivers in the area opposed the creation of a bus lane because it would take away parking from them. The local bus riders obviously want bus lanes, as it would speed up their trip. (Since express bus riders aren't going to use the +SBS+ at the same time that they are using the express bus, they can be grouped with either the drivers or local bus riders)

As a compromise, the MTA decided to make the center lanes into bus lanes. I'm pretty sure they are going to go through with this modified plan.

Personally, I think that that is too much inconvenience for the bus riders, if they do it the way I think they plan to do it (have the S79 stop in the center of the street, while the S78 stops at the curb). Riders going down Hylan Blvd wouldn't have the advantage of the combined frequencies.

I think that there should be a curbside bus lane running the full length of Hylan Blvd, at least during rush hours. At the most crowded point (between Ebbitts Street an Midland Avenue), there are 8 express routes and 2 local routes using the lane. Even on the rest of Hylan Blvd, you'll have at least 60 buses per hour using the lane.

The DOT can work with the merchants to find parking on the side streets in the area.

By the way, Roadcrusier1, those BRT plans aren't an official MTA document. They are basically a fantasy map drawn up by some transportation organization. While they do make good points about having a well-connected BRT system, some of those lines are ridiculously long, and would be extremely delay-prone.

Yeah, but I think the real problem is planning. Staten Island's infrastructure is unique in that streets are often narrow and meander and parking is always a problem as a result. My question is why can't they run some sort of modified SBS service? Do they absolutely have to have artics running down Hylan?

What exactly is "so much" in your opinion? Should we not expect our buses to show up at all? So because we have a lot of home owners they're not entitled to get decent service like the other boroughs? Forget about adovcating for more service. In most cases, we're just asking to have the buses we have show up! We don't really need light rails and all of that although it would be nice, just provide the service that we have and things would be a lot better. That's not asking for much at all!

NJ has bare bones service and when I use it I don't complain about the service, why?? Because the buses show up as scheduled.

When I moved here, local service wasn't that bad. Buses for the most part did show up even if they were a little late, but I guess new management came in and things just went down hill for years.

Agreed 100%! I grew up on Staten Island and service definitely wasn't bad at all many years ago. It was around 2005-2006, when things started sliding downhill at like a 89 degree angle. Service became less and maintenance was nearly non-existent. Anyone who didn't go through what Staten Islanders had to endure between 2005-2008 has NO right to complain about us complaining. Now we have clean buses but the service is exactly the same as it was. Check your facts before posting!

Agreed 100%! I grew up on Staten Island and service definitely wasn't bad at all many years ago. It was around 2005-2006, when things started sliding downhill at like a 89 degree angle. Service became less and maintenance was nearly non-existent. Anyone who didn't go through what Staten Islanders had to endure between 2005-2008 has NO right to complain about us complaining. Now we have clean buses but the service is exactly the same as it was. Check your facts before posting!

Agreed 100%, however, service is slowly getting better in some areas or the island.

Archived