Study shows that transportation on S.I. has not kept up w/demand

Via Garibaldi 8

Wow Via jabroni ...lol YOU GOT OWNED by A Staten Island Commuter

Could I be FRANK..........you deserved it

LOL!!! :tup:

Not necessarily "owned" KR, I just had to get my point across, is all. For what it's worth, Staten Island thinks they had it worse, but trust me there others had their low points at some point in time...look at Long Island: the MTA wants to take away bus service, and service out there is already hell on earth, with some service operating every HOUR off-peak. If anything, my sympathy goes out to Long Island.

checkmatechamp13, you hit the nail on the head. Provided that I use a certain bus line enough to give my insight on it I can comment on such and such however I please...not necessarily given a right to, but I understand where you come from.

Yeah, and how long has that been? I've been commuting from Staten Island for over 10 years now and the service has improved compared to what it was, but it still suffers terribly from reliability. The way I see it doesn't matter where you are in New York City. No one should be discriminated against because of where they live and that's essentially what was happening to us for a while and it's completely wrong. It's not just Staten Islanders... It's those in New York City who live more suburban areas in general. They are treated as second class New Yorkers. The same nonsense is going on where I used to live in Brooklyn too.

Does it really matter how long I've been using transportation in S.I.? No, not really, but I'll state anyway: since July 2009 I started using the S.I. bus system on a regular basis. To hell with what service like was in the past...if service was bad back then then I'll take your word for it since you have the experience, but as for what I was saying, others have it FAR FAR WORSE right now than what SIR North Shore claimed how it was back in that three-year time frame he gave, so to be quite frank, he could take that comment and stick it where it belongs.

Also, for what it's worth, the reason why bus service is the way it is in the suburban parts of NYC is because...it's like the suburbs. People own cars in those areas, be glad that there's SOME bus service than NO bus service in the suburban parts of the city. Do I agree that there should be an increase? Yes, but to a degree. The MTA does not have to throw out more money than they have to, cuz in another few years, they'll be crying broke, once again...and they'll be a slurry of service cuts, once again....

I guess you don't use buses outside of brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island as much as anyone else on here does...it's ok, you don't have to, but I still stand by what I said: make it seem like a life-changing ordeal if you want to, I ain't buying it....

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL!!! :tup:

Not necessarily "owned" KR, I just had to get my point across, is all. For what it's worth, Staten Island thinks they had it worse, but trust me there others had their low points at some point in time...look at Long Island: the MTA wants to take away bus service, and service out there is already hell on earth, with some service operating every HOUR off-peak. If anything, my sympathy goes out to Long Island.

checkmatechamp13, you hit the nail on the head. Provided that I use a certain bus line enough to give my insight on it I can comment on such and such however I please...not necessarily given a right to, but I understand where you come from.

Does it really matter how long I've been using transportation in S.I.? No, not really, but I'll state anyway: since July 2009 I started using the S.I. bus system on a regular basis. To hell with what service like was in the past...if service was bad back then then I'll take your word for it since you have the experience, but as for what I was saying, others have it FAR FAR WORSE right now than what SIR North Shore claimed how it was back in that three-year time frame he gave, so to be quite frank, he could take that comment and stick it where it belongs.

I guess you don't use buses outside of brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island as much as anyone else on here does...it's ok, you don't have to, but I still stand by what I said: make it seem like a life-changing ordeal if you want to, I ain't buying it....

Seeing that I'm from South Brooklyn, I've used quite a few buses. What gets me irritated is this nonsense that no one should advocate for better services. I don't care where anyone lives. You should not have to move from a place because you aren't getting the services that you're supposed to be getting, forget about "additional services". Hell it was similar back in Brooklyn, so I suppose I should just keep moving because the service sucks. No freaking way... I pay taxes just like the next guy and we're going to keep pushing for the services that are due to us. And as far as Long Island goes, while I've complained about Nassau not paying their fair share, that's really my only complaint. They are also shafted in terms of overpaying for the LIRR and the lousy bus service that they get and if I lived there I would be up in arms just like some folks are too and they should be. Nassau just needs to pay for its share of transit though.

The MTA does not have to throw out more money than they have to, cuz in another few years, they'll be crying broke, once again...and they'll be a slurry of service cuts, once again....

An increase would be nice, but for now I think most of us would just like what we're supposed to be given. If we had that consistently, there would be far less complaining.

Seeing that I'm from South Brooklyn, I've used quite a few buses. What gets me irritated is this nonsense that no one should advocate for better services. I don't care where anyone lives. You should not have to move from a place because you aren't getting the services that you're supposed to be getting, forget about "additional services". Hell it was similar back in Brooklyn, so I suppose I should just keep moving because the service sucks. No freaking way... I pay taxers just like the next guy and we're going to keep pushing for the services that are due to us. And as far as Long Island goes, while I've complained about Nassau not paying their fair share, that's really my only complaint. They are also shafted in terms of overpaying for the LIRR and the lousy bus service that they get and if I lived there I would be up in arms just like some folks are too and they should be. Nassau just needs to pay for its share of transit though.

So let me get this straight...do you know how most of these service improvements are performed? Most of the time, something is CUT in order for another service improvement to even materialize. Like I've stated before in another thread, the last time that the MTA really went all out on increasing service on a limb was with the S55 extension along Bloomingdale Road and the S59 limited variant, the S89. The MTA has also increased frequency on the M15 +Select Bus Service because that line is seeing heavy usage since it's inception, and people are using it. No chance in hell the MTA should not, and does not, increase service for a small area with a small density of people. If the line sees a small audience of riders, the reason being is that no one is using it. Why should a part of the city with a small concentration of people see an increase of service whereas a part of the city with a large concentration of people see a decrease in service? If people are really so got-damned adamant about their precious services, they would leave their gas-guzzling 8-cylinder cars at home, walk their lazy asses to the bus stop and pay a $2.25 fare, especially if the ride's straight-forward and a quick run. They have traffic checkers who determine what route gets what type of service. If they see a good concentration of people using a bus line, service will get improved, and the same is true vice versa.

An increase would be nice, but for now I think most of us would just like what we're supposed to be given. If we had that consistently, there would be far less complaining.

But to add this...don't think for one second the MTA's not looking for ways to better service where it's needed. After all, there's a reason codes for the X21 are in the buses code logs....

Wow Via jabroni ...lol YOU GOT OWNED by A Staten Island Commuter

Could I be FRANK..........you deserved it

Checkmate and I have completely different views on this and that's fine. He's the type that is "greatful" for whatever he gets transit wise and I think that's an insane attitude to have, as if somehow because we're on Staten Island we're less than the rest of New York. When I lived back in Brooklyn I had his attitude as a teenager in junior high school and high school. When several (B4)s went MIA, I was just glad for a bus to come, but I'm much older now.

Doesn't matter that I'm on Staten Island. If I was back in Brooklyn, I'd be doing the same thing. Passengers throughout NYC deserve better service period. The thing is I don't look at this as a I got owned deal or anything.

I will continue to stand up for what I believe in regardless to what others may think or how many people don't agree with me because that's not really important.

Checkmate and I have completely different views on this and that's fine. He's the type that is "greatful" for whatever he gets transit wise and I think that's an insane attitude to have, as if somehow because we're on Staten Island we're less than the rest of New York. When I lived back in Brooklyn I had his attitude as a teenager in junior high school and high school. When several (B4)s went MIA, I was just glad for a bus to come, but I'm much older now.

Doesn't matter that I'm on Staten Island. If I was back in Brooklyn, I'd be doing the same thing. Passengers throughout NYC deserve better service period. The thing is I don't look at this as a I got owned deal or anything.

I will continue to stand up for what I believe in regardless to what others may think or how many people don't agree with me because that's not really important.

He was talking about me...checkmate lives in S.I....I commute there....

Let's put it like this...for one second if the MTA is all about providing a luxury with your service, then public transportation is not for you.

I'll leave it at that.

If you call "luxury" service being happy for a bus to show up like we're in a third world country then clearly we have different expectations. If I recall correctly we are paying for this service.

A quick one seat ride to Manhattan, and that is all that you Staten Islanders should get. Why just in case you even have the Staten Island Ferry. Sarcasm: If you want why don't we go back to the olden days, and bring back First, Second, and Third Class seating on the Ferry.

A quick one seat ride to Manhattan, and that is all that you Staten Islanders should get. Why just in case you even have the Staten Island Ferry. Sarcasm: If you want why don't we go back to the olden days, and bring back First, Second, and Third Class seating on the Ferry.

We should be happy to pay $5.50 and get to stand in narrow aisles. We're some ungreatful bast*rds aren't we for wanting a civilized commute? Why don't we just start hiring those bloody guys that they have in parts of Asia to pack us into the subways and buses so the (MTA) finally comes out of debt? After all it's not about us passengers.

Don't forget that the other boroughs except for Manhattan have express service too!

Don't forget that the other boroughs except for Manhattan have express service too!

All sarcasm aside, are you going to answer my previous question? I heard this attitude before about folks in general (be it express bus riders or local bus and subway riders) should just be happy for any sort of service. So tell me what we should get for $5.50 in your opinion...

I did answer your question, on the previous page. I honestly think the $5.50 is just for a faster method of service since whether you're paying that $3.25 difference for fast service or FASTER service, express buses are still a form of public transportation. Forgive me if I could care less about the extra amenities in an express bus that a standard one doesn't have. I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I don't see people on the street seething over the fact that they can't take express buses at their discretion, but simply because it is what it is.

I did answer your question, on the previous page. I honestly think the $5.50 is just for a faster method of service since whether you're paying that $3.25 difference for fast service or FASTER service, express buses are still a form of public transportation. Forgive me if I could care less about the extra amenities in an express bus that a standard one doesn't have. I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I don't see people on the street seething over the fact that they can't take express buses at their discretion, but simply because it is what it is.

My previous discussion about service was not directed at express bus service at all. I was referring more so to local bus service, but yes we have different standards I suppose.

Archived