Study shows that transportation on S.I. has not kept up w/demand

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My previous discussion about service was not directed at express bus service at all. I was referring more so to local bus service.

Didn't you ask "what should we ge $5.50"??? I believe I answered your question straight-forward....

Ok.....

It's planned by an outside source(s), NOT MTA/NJT or even the Port Authority. Don't put your hopes up on something that might not even happen....

Reading is fundamental! Plus, where will both agencies get the $$ from!?!?!?!?! Most definitely not from their asses....

If I was born and raised in NJ i would take offense to that l0l. However, I think NJ would do better with Staten Island. NJT does a great job with there bus service. The Howell Garage would make the MTA look even more stupid.

Well the MCIs would be no big deal as NJT has them. But what about the O5s and O7s? Would they be kept on SI or would NJT need a totally new fleet there? I could see NJT taking over SI routes and the MTA taking back those Orions and retiring the oldest buses in MTA bus and such.

Well the MCIs would be no big deal as NJT has them. But what about the O5s and O7s? Would they be kept on SI or would NJT need a totally new fleet there? I could see NJT taking over SI routes and the MTA taking back those Orions and retiring the oldest buses in MTA bus and such.

Don't give em any ideas !!! Lol

Not true at all, and who are you calling fools? Better watch your tone on here, boy.....you obviously dont know your shit....

What competition does the MTA have with NJ going TO New Jersey? The 190 is not ALWAYS full....there are empty seats in certain trips....not always full at all......

I meant full during the day not NIGHT!!!! MTA connects not duplicates I have used several staten island buses some are slow some are FAST if you look over all options getting around staten island is child's play!!!!

yo, what are you tryna to say within this random babble.....

- we haven't looked at the bus map

(we know the system well enough to the point we don't have to look at a map to make a judgment.... thanks for your conclusion though)...

- lack of LTD's being a weakness

(If you knew the criteria on what determines a route getting LTD service, you wouldn't have brought this up... assuming you had an iota of sense... which is still giving you too much credit, judging by the few posts you decided to plague the forums with)

- local buses taking 30 mins to complete their route

(Not that this statement of yours had f**k-all to do with anything, but you're COMPLAINING about this?? don't you realize most bus routes in the nation average about an hour's runtime....)

Give me a route that has extremely low ridership that is always full, and I'll personally pay for the psychiatric treatment you so desperately need.

....and Competition.... smh.

NJT isn't in no competition with no MTA over bus service to NEW JERSEY.....

or I suppose NJT is in competition with itself...

Either way, this kid is are completely lost.

I was referring to the NJT 190 and the spanish buses NOT MTA BUSES I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE PASSIAC COUNTY MAIN STREET CORRIDOR!!!!!!! I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT SERVICE TO NJ FROM SI

I didnt understand his "BUSES TAKE 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETE THEIR ROUTE" complaint....it's like wtf, either it was a complaint or he was trying to say how fast the buses finish the trips(?).....which is complete bullshit....

I wasn't complaining!!! I said some staten island buses take about 30 to 45 minutes to complete their trips!!!!! and the local buses. Read my post carefully before bashing.

I meant full during the day not NIGHT!!!! MTA connects not duplicates I have used several staten island buses some are slow some are FAST if you look over all options getting around staten island is child's play!!!!

Really? I hope you realize that Staten Island has some of the longest routes in the city, including the S78 & S74. The locals average up to 45 minutes up to 1 hour, then you got 30 minutes on the ferry and an extra half hour or so with the commute in Manhattan, in which you can have 30 minutes from S.I to Manhattan via the Express. Now which one would you choose?

NJT would probably work out a buy out deal for those 05s/07s; and use the Ironbonud or Howell Garages. If not I would see NJT buying more MCIs and turn those routes into full service.

IMO I think NJT should run SI service with exception of the Express Buses. It just seems like the MTA cant run SI Service IMO.

Don't get it twisted. Hell, don't get hasty either for what it's worth...I face a round-trip commute three times a week that can take FOUR hours per day. On a good day, three. Yes, school right now is my job, but I work four-five days a week within the same borough I live in, and all that takes is half an hour...and don't fret, I ain't looking down on you or anyone that has to face longer commute times to get to and from work, cuz in terms of getting to school, I'm on the very same boat, you can bet on that.

Actually, I’m sure there are times when we are literally on the same ferryboat to SI. :)

Seeing that I'm from South Brooklyn, I've used quite a few buses. What gets me irritated is this nonsense that no one should advocate for better services. I don't care where anyone lives. You should not have to move from a place because you aren't getting the services that you're supposed to be getting, forget about "additional services". Hell it was similar back in Brooklyn, so I suppose I should just keep moving because the service sucks. No freaking way... I pay taxes just like the next guy and we're going to keep pushing for the services that are due to us. And as far as Long Island goes, while I've complained about Nassau not paying their fair share, that's really my only complaint. They are also shafted in terms of overpaying for the LIRR and the lousy bus service that they get and if I lived there I would be up in arms just like some folks are too and they should be. Nassau just needs to pay for its share of transit though.

Let’s face it-the reason why Manhattan has so much service is because of its density. You have whole apartment buildings and office buildings full of bus and subway riders. The more “suburban” the neighborhood gets, the fewer people are there to use the services, and the less frequently they will run.

You can argue that your taxes are paying to subsidize the fare, but you also have to consider that people in Manhattan are paying taxes as well. Let’s say that, because of their high ridership, Manhattan routes require only $1 in subsidies per passenger, while Staten Island routes require $2 in subsidies (at the current service levels). A Manhattanite paying the same taxes as you is paying to subsidize, not only their own services, but your services as well. That’s alright considering that we need a basic level of service.

But if you wanted to increase service to bring it up to the level of Manhattan’s service levels, that route might require $3 or $4 in subsidies. Now, the burden is really unbalanced as far as who is paying their fair share.

But as far as service levels and living in certain neighborhoods go, you have to consider that the service levels affect the price of the home you live in. Why should somebody in Manhattan pay $2,000 per month to live near all of the mass transit options in Manhattan, while a Staten Island resident can get the same transit options for $1,000? Or, look at it this way: If mass transit levels increased to those of Manhattan’s, your rent would go up (obviously not as high as Manhattan since you are still far from all of the jobs and everything, but it would be a dramatic increase). Either that, or the rents would remain the same and the neighborhood would decline.

Checkmate and I have completely different views on this and that's fine. He's the type that is "greatful" for whatever he gets transit wise and I think that's an insane attitude to have, as if somehow because we're on Staten Island we're less than the rest of New York. When I lived back in Brooklyn I had his attitude as a teenager in junior high school and high school. When several (B4)s went MIA, I was just glad for a bus to come, but I'm much older now.

Doesn't matter that I'm on Staten Island. If I was back in Brooklyn, I'd be doing the same thing. Passengers throughout NYC deserve better service period. The thing is I don't look at this as a I got owned deal or anything.

I will continue to stand up for what I believe in regardless to what others may think or how many people don't agree with me because that's not really important.

You’re entitled to your opinions, but I’m just trying to explain mine.

We should be happy to pay $5.50 and get to stand in narrow aisles. We're some ungreatful bast*rds aren't we for wanting a civilized commute? Why don't we just start hiring those bloody guys that they have in parts of Asia to pack us into the subways and buses so the (MTA) finally comes out of debt? After all it's not about us passengers.

Actually, some lines could use that. Many people refuse to move to the back.

Actually, I’m sure there are times when we are literally on the same ferryboat to SI. ;)

Let’s face it-the reason why Manhattan has so much service is because of its density. You have whole apartment buildings and office buildings full of bus and subway riders. The more “suburban” the neighborhood gets, the fewer people are there to use the services, and the less frequently they will run.

You can argue that your taxes are paying to subsidize the fare, but you also have to consider that people in Manhattan are paying taxes as well. Let’s say that, because of their high ridership, Manhattan routes require only $1 in subsidies per passenger, while Staten Island routes require $2 in subsidies (at the current service levels). A Manhattanite paying the same taxes as you is paying to subsidize, not only their own services, but your services as well. That’s alright considering that we need a basic level of service.

But if you wanted to increase service to bring it up to the level of Manhattan’s service levels, that route might require $3 or $4 in subsidies. Now, the burden is really unbalanced as far as who is paying their fair share.

But as far as service levels and living in certain neighborhoods go, you have to consider that the service levels affect the price of the home you live in. Why should somebody in Manhattan pay $2,000 per month to live near all of the mass transit options in Manhattan, while a Staten Island resident can get the same transit options for $1,000? Or, look at it this way: If mass transit levels increased to those of Manhattan’s, your rent would go up (obviously not as high as Manhattan since you are still far from all of the jobs and everything, but it would be a dramatic increase). Either that, or the rents would remain the same and the neighborhood would decline.

You’re entitled to your opinions, but I’m just trying to explain mine.

Actually, some lines could use that. Many people refuse to move to the back.

You make good points, but like I said, I think the real problem is we can't get the service that we currently have. We'll see how well this bus track thingamagig works.

Archived