Study shows that transportation on S.I. has not kept up w/demand

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed 100%! I grew up on Staten Island and service definitely wasn't bad at all many years ago. It was around 2005-2006, when things started sliding downhill at like a 89 degree angle. Service became less and maintenance was nearly non-existent. Anyone who didn't go through what Staten Islanders had to endure between 2005-2008 has NO right to complain about us complaining. Now we have clean buses but the service is exactly the same as it was. Check your facts before posting!

You're making it seem like you went through a life-traumatizing ordeal...nothing against your post or anythingm just saying o course....

Yeah, but I think the real problem is planning. Staten Island's infrastructure is unique in that streets are often narrow and meander and parking is always a problem as a result. My question is why can't they run some sort of modified SBS service? Do they absolutely have to have artics running down Hylan?

Having 40' buses on a +SBS route would defeat the purpose of +SBS. You could have the artics on the +SBS express while 40' rigids on the local, and/or artics on the local as well.

You're making it seem like you went through a life-traumatizing ordeal...nothing against your post or anythingm just saying o course....

Having 40' buses on a +SBS route would defeat the purpose of +SBS. You could have the artics on the +SBS express while 40' rigids on the local, and/or artics on the local as well.

We went from buses showing up as scheduled that were relatively clean to filthy buses with no A/C. I remember taking a packed and I mean packed (S98) on a hot summer day w/no AC. We all piled on because we just wanted to get home, but I was thinking... Jesus christ... I feel like we're in a third world country. I kid you not... So yeah, we all did our research when we moved here, and we knew about the frequencies and had no problem with it. We planned our trips accordingly and things were fine for a while, but the problems started when buses were MIA and most of that can be contributed to terrible maintenance. My relief came only after switching to the express bus because my trips were starting to turn into one week of decent service and then two weeks of sh*tty service. However, as Cait Sith said, service is slowly getting better.

Regarding SBS service there are lines like the (S53) that should have SBS but probably can't use the artics because of some of the narrow streets that it travels on, so it would either have to be re-routed or use normal sized buses.

NJT is ran better then the MTA. Our buses are spaced out in a good manner. Although some routes like the 190 has too much service.

And because of that it doesn't bother me at all that the frequencies on the 163 later on at night are spread out to every hour or so. I know when they're scheduled and I do my stuff in Nordstrom or whatever and when it's time to catch the bus I'm there and the bus is there right on time.

If NYC keeps treating Staten Island like a stepchild I am sure sooner or later they would join the state of New Jersey. We really got to improve that borough or we would lose that borough.

Yeah like New Jersey would do any better with SI....

Yeah I still beg to differ as to how SI would fair off over there. New Jersey sucks.

We'd have our own thing... We're Staten Islanders. Sure, I love shopping at Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom tax free in NJ, but that's about it. lol It's charming and all, but it's not my cup of tea.

But if we did succeed, no more Charleston Depot... :cry: LOL

I still say we should improve Staten Island. I do want to see Staten Island develop in the next 20 years. I say that we improve Staten Island's transit by putting in SBS or Light Rail with service from Bay Ridge-95th Street to the Staten Island Mall either via Hylan Boulevard or Staten Island Expressway and back (Yes it would use the Verrazano Narrows Bridge), reactivating the North Shore Rail, and approving construction for the West Shore Light Rail. Extend the North Shore Line to Newark Liberty International Airport to allow easy access to the airport for the Staten Islanders. Bring faster ferries in service for the Staten Island Ferry, and create a summer Staten Island Ferry service to Brooklyn (Coney Island) to bring them to tourist attractions (unless if Coney Island becomes a all year resort it won't be a full year ferry service), and Staten Island Ferry service to Hoboken Terminal.

All my ideas have been proposed before by many other planners, and I am just proposing them again.

I just wish New Jersey's DOT didn't have its head up its ass with its GODAWFUL network of street hierarchies. Note how most GSP exits lead you onto one of NJ's even more godawful state routes (or US routes, in some cases), and you have to take ANOTHER route, a county one more likely than not, just to get to another town. Oh, yeah, want to make a right turn? That's fine. Make a left? Ha! You have to turn onto a "jughandle" which basically is some stupid chicane you turn onto which leads you onto the road you WANTED to turn left onto, but you have to wait at the light because again, NJ's road system sucks and those state routes are pretty much the only way in and out of towns. And most of these routes either have nothing along them or run behind abandoned plants which smell of death which is impossible to block out of your vehicle.

The low sales tax of 3.5% or so is levied by all the tolling they do of their godawful road network, along with high taxes on goddamn near everything else.

Yes, I do hate most of NJ. But not the shore region. I love the shore region, but not the show often so associated with the region. NJ shore residents hate New Yorkers, but we're a good chunk of their economy.

End rant. For now.

I just wish New Jersey's DOT didn't have its head up its ass with its GODAWFUL network of street hierarchies. Note how most GSP exits lead you onto one of NJ's even more godawful state routes (or US routes, in some cases), and you have to take ANOTHER route, a county one more likely than not, just to get to another town. Oh, yeah, want to make a right turn? That's fine. Make a left? Ha! You have to turn onto a "jughandle" which basically is some stupid chicane you turn onto which leads you onto the road you WANTED to turn left onto, but you have to wait at the light because again, NJ's road system sucks and those state routes are pretty much the only way in and out of towns. And most of these routes either have nothing along them or run behind abandoned plants which smell of death which is impossible to block out of your vehicle.

The low sales tax of 3.5% or so is levied by all the tolling they do of their godawful road network, along with high taxes on goddamn near everything else.

Yes, I do hate most of NJ. But not the shore region. I love the shore region, but not the show often so associated with the region. NJ shore residents hate New Yorkers, but we're a good chunk of their economy.

End rant. For now.

New Jersey is quite nice actually, even parts of Newark (Downtown and Ironbound). I've had great times attending the NJPAC for classical concerts. Some folks are snobs in NJ but they don't go overkill like on Long Island. They're just classy and well-to-do. Nice little quaint towns, tree-lined clean streets and the streets are in good shape for the most part. The thing is I'm a New Yorker and the vibe in NJ is just different, but there's nothing wrong w/the place esp. if you like suburban living. Probably just a bit too suburban for me, but then again so is Long Island. I LOVE Oheka Castle though out in Huntington. I'm sure I'll get invited to go out there again this year. :P

The B44 might relieve the B46 a little bit, since passengers who live halfway between the 2 might decide to take the B44, rather than the B46, but the Utica Avenue corridor still needs help.

In any case, I don't see any need for full-fledged +SBS+ on any part of Staten Island, except for Hylan Blvd. A few routes can use limited-stop service and traffic signal priority, but I don't think any other routes need off-board fare payment.

The one exception would be if the MTA decided to reroute the S98 over the Goethals Bridge and send it to Newark Airport. Once they do that, and has a decent frequency (15 minutes or less), then we can talk about +SBS+ on Forest Avenue. It is a good idea, but it might take a while to happen.

no need extend other buses like s79 or s89 to go from bayonne to newark or let njt 81 do that

BULL obviously these fools haven't looked at the bus map there are several options!!!!! the only weakness is lack of limited but EVEN LOCAL BUSES SOME OF THEM TAKE 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETE THEIR ENTIRE ROUTE!!!!!!

Not true at all, and who are you calling fools? Better watch your tone on here, boy.....you obviously dont know your shit....

That is beacause of competition and extremely high ridership that bus is always full!!!!

What competition does the MTA have with NJ going TO New Jersey? The 190 is not ALWAYS full....there are empty seats in certain trips....not always full at all......

Is there going to be any replys to my idea from my last post on page 4. I think my idea is a good one. It would increase, and allow people to go on the island, and create more jobs on the island.

SBS is a good idea where possible and is more likely to be implemented in the near future than a light rail. If the new Goethals Bridge is built, the earliest the light rail would be put on the new bridge is 2017 or so.

BULL obviously these fools haven't looked at the bus map there are several options!!!!!

the only weakness is lack of limited

but EVEN LOCAL BUSES SOME OF THEM TAKE 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETE THEIR ENTIRE ROUTE!!!!!!

yo, what are you tryna to say within this random babble.....

- we haven't looked at the bus map

(we know the system well enough to the point we don't have to look at a map to make a judgment.... thanks for your conclusion though)...

- lack of LTD's being a weakness

(If you knew the criteria on what determines a route getting LTD service, you wouldn't have brought this up... assuming you had an iota of sense... which is still giving you too much credit, judging by the few posts you decided to plague the forums with)

- local buses taking 30 mins to complete their route

(Not that this statement of yours had f**k-all to do with anything, but you're COMPLAINING about this?? don't you realize most bus routes in the nation average about an hour's runtime....)

That is beacause of competition and extremely high ridership that bus is always full!!!!

Give me a route that has extremely low ridership that is always full, and I'll personally pay for the psychiatric treatment you so desperately need.

....and Competition.... smh.

NJT isn't in no competition with no MTA over bus service to NEW JERSEY.....

or I suppose NJT is in competition with itself...

Either way, this kid is are completely lost.

yo, what are you tryna to say within this random babble.....

- we haven't looked at the bus map

(we know the system well enough to the point we don't have to look at a map to make a judgment.... thanks for your conclusion though)...

- lack of LTD's being a weakness

(If you knew the criteria on what determines a route getting LTD service, you wouldn't have brought this up... assuming you had an iota of sense... which is still giving you too much credit, judging by the few posts you decided to plague the forums with)

- local buses taking 30 mins to complete their route

(Not that this statement of yours had f**k-all to do with anything, but you're COMPLAINING about this?? don't you realize most bus routes in the nation average about an hour's runtime....)

Give me a route that has extremely low ridership that is always full, and I'll personally pay for the psychiatric treatment you so desperately need.

....and Competition.... smh.

NJT isn't in no competition with no MTA over bus service to NEW JERSEY.....

or I suppose NJT is in competition with itself...

Either way, this kid is are completely lost.

I didnt understand his "BUSES TAKE 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETE THEIR ROUTE" complaint....it's like wtf, either it was a complaint or he was trying to say how fast the buses finish the trips(?).....which is complete bullshit....

Archived