Study shows that transportation on S.I. has not kept up w/demand

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean the Bayonne Bridge. :P

You haven't been up on the latest out here, but private funds are trying to be secured to have a new Goethals bridge built and the Port Authority would pay back the monies over time. Local representatives are calling for the bridge to have a light rail. When the new bridge is built the old one would be torn down.

You haven't been up on the latest out here, but private funds are trying to be secured to have a new Goethals bridge built and the Port Authority would pay back the monies over time. Local representatives are calling for the bridge to have a light rail. When the new bridge is built the old one would be torn down.

But the HBLR is nowhere near the Goethals, it's a stone throw away from the Bayonne...I'm a bit confused :confused:

Though the Hudson Bergen Light Rail calls for an extension on the Bayonne Bridge. I thought maybe you can redesign the Geothals Bridge to handle the SIR cars, and run the North Shore Branch to Newark Liberty International Airport where people would transfer to the Newark City Subway. Besides the Hudson Bergen Light Rail goes nowhere near the Geothals Bridge. It would be a line going from nowhere to nowhere if you just build light rail on just both sides. The SIR extension across that bridge would make it a line from somewhere to somewhere.

Though the Hudson Bergen Light Rail calls for an extension on the Bayonne Bridge. I thought maybe you can redesign the Geothals Bridge to handle the SIR cars, and run the North Shore Branch to Newark Liberty International Airport.

Ha, thats IF they WANT to do it or even want it...

But the HBLR is nowhere near the Goethals, it's a stone throw away from the Bayonne...I'm a bit confused :confused:

While the article says that the light rail is an "option", it's being pushed hard by local politicians saying that any new Goethals must have a light rail on it.

http://www.allmediany.com/details_news_article.php?news_artid=716

Well if they extend it to the airport Staten Islanders would have easier access to an airport. They don't have to drive their cars to the airport anymore which would be a pain in the you know where due to traffic.

Idk if you know the distance from the North Shore to Newark Liberty....with a light rail, that is terribly long...most of us know for a fact that after the Goethals, it wont fly to NWK Liberty, there will be planned stops in NJ of course....

Idk if you know the distance from the North Shore to Newark Liberty....with a light rail, that is terribly long...most of us know for a fact that after the Goethals, it wont fly to NWK Liberty, there will be planned stops in NJ of course....

This is true. If anything a bus would be better off going there.

The North Shore Line isn't a light rail in my plan. It's a full blown SIR line that runs SIR type cars. The Geothals Bridge would be rebuilt to handle these subway cars so they can cross the bridge, and go on to Newark Airport, and there would be a transfer from there to the Newark City Subway.

The North Shore Line isn't a light rail in my plan. It's a full blown SIR line that runs SIR type cars. The Geothals Bridge would be rebuilt to handle these subway cars so they can cross the bridge, and go on to Newark Airport, and there would be a transfer from there to the Newark City Subway.

The only problem is that I don't see that many Islanders going to Newark Airport like that to warrant a light rail going there. If anything you can have a bus that goes there every thirty minutes to an hour or so during certain hours. A young guy like me for example that doesn't drive and spends most of his time in the city... I would be more inclined to just take car service to the airport when traveling back to Europe than trying to schlepp for a bloody bus with suitcases and such. Even if I did drive I'd probably do the same exact thing... Take car service since I'm not big on the whole driving thing. I prefer to have someone else drive while I relax. lol

Heavy rail... Light rail... There is no need for either to go all the way to Newark airport.

You have to consider airport employees, other commuters who will choose to use public transportation to the airport, and those who are trying to reach the Northeast Corridor Line. But I agree, a bus would be nice because it's the quickest method. We would have to wait many years before a shovel even hits the ground for any SI rail project while they can get a new bus line going in short time with Charleston depot around now.

You have to consider airport employees, other commuters who will choose to use public transportation to the airport, and those who are trying to reach the Northeast Corridor Line. But I agree, a bus would be nice because it's the quickest method. We would have to wait many years before a shovel even hits the ground for any SI rail project while they can get a new bus line going in short time with Charleston depot around now.

The best would be to make that bus line, operate it and then survey if there's high demand. If enough demand, they could start a rail line afterwards. But IMHO there won't be enough demand for a rail line.

Anyone who didn't have to deal with the PBLs and thier roting, rusting peices of @#$% they called buses have no right to complain...

you had problems for three years, MTA Bus was a Godsend for making things liveabled around my house. You're lucky comapired to what I grew up with in triboro land.

...and I had called him out on his post, stating that he seemed as if he was going through a life-altering ordeal. Talk about self-pity....

...and I had called him out on his post, stating that he seemed as if he was going through a life-altering ordeal. Talk about self-pity....

When you start relying on public transportation to get to and from work everyday, then you can come back and tell us about how we shouldn't have self-pity.

Your plan would still fail as it would be a terribly LONG way to go from S.I to Newark Liberty....Honestly, you should check out the distance and the areas before you make a silly plan like this. You are better off running a bus service to NWK Liberty instead of a rail service...

When you start relying on public transportation to get to and from work everyday, then you can come back and tell us about how we shouldn't have self-pity.

The last time I remember, he was making a commute from Fulton Street in Brooklyn to the College of Staten Island using the ferry. Therefore, he is entitled to comment on the services we have out here.

Um...just for the record, I've been using subways and buses since I was three years old, as far as I can remember, and started getting around by myself when I was around 9. I lived with my dad in the earlier part of my life, and later with my mom...NEITHER of them owned cars, so we relied on public transportation to get from point A to B...and even C.

Don't get it twisted. Hell, don't get hasty either for what it's worth...I face a round-trip commute three times a week that can take FOUR hours per day. On a good day, three. Yes, school right now is my job, but I work four-five days a week within the same borough I live in, and all that takes is half an hour...and don't fret, I ain't looking down on you or anyone that has to face longer commute times to get to and from work, cuz in terms of getting to school, I'm on the very same boat, you can bet on that.

To be quite frank, I could really care less about others' shortcomings with anything with the exception of family and friends transportation-wise or anything else personal, so don't tell me about how I should go about using my discretions as to who and who I shouldn't empathize.

The last time I remember, he was making a commute from Fulton Street in Brooklyn to the College of Staten Island using the ferry. Therefore, he is entitled to comment on the services we have out here.

Correct, except I stopped using the ferry on Saturdays since the S93 doesn't run on weekends and used the X10 instead for about two months. I now take the (R) to the S53 to the S61 or S62 on Saturdays.

Yeah, and how long has that been? I've been commuting from Staten Island for over 10 years now and the service has improved compared to what it was, but it still suffers terribly from reliability. The way I see it doesn't matter where you are in New York City. No one should be discriminated against because of where they live and that's essentially what was happening to us for a while and it's completely wrong. It's not just Staten Islanders... It's those in New York City who live more suburban areas in general. They are treated as second class New Yorkers. The same nonsense is going on where I used to live in Brooklyn too.

Archived