Study shows that transportation on S.I. has not kept up w/demand

Via Garibaldi 8

Staten Islanders relentlessly scream about not getting their fair share of city services, especially when it comes to mass transit, but those at the top still aren't hearing the cry, according to a new study.

Or, if they are, they aren't taking adequate action to correct the imbalance.

A new study finds that while more Islanders are staying in the borough to work, they face the longest mass-transit commutes in the city and have scant public transportation options.

For some, it's a potent reminder that the Island is still the forgotten borough in many ways.

Read more: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/02/staten_islanders_left_behindan.html

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who are b*tching up the ass about transit service about where they live, guess what...you did it to yourself. You decided to move to an area without doing research about transit options...even if you do have a car, you still never know when you'll need a train or bus in the case that your car may not be available to you.

To be straightforward, I would like to live in Staten Island...I dream about living in Staten Island, and I've done research about parts of S.I. I'd like to live in should I decide to move out there someday...I don't own a car and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, meaning I'll have to rely on bus service...and I won't complain one single bit, cuz that's what I signed up for.

For those who are b*tching up the ass about transit service about where they live, guess what...you did it to yourself. You decided to move to an area without doing research about transit options...even if you do have a car, you still never know when you'll need a train or bus in the case that your car may not be available to you.

To be straightforward, I would like to live in Staten Island...I dream about living in Staten Island, and I've done research about parts of S.I. I'd like to live in should I decide to move out there someday...I don't own a car and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, meaning I'll have to rely on bus service...and I won't complain one single bit, cuz that's what I signed up for.

All I did was post a friggin' article and made one comment about it. If you don't like the article then don't read it, that's all.

All I did was post a friggin' article and made one comment about it. If you don't like the article then don't read it, that's all.

How would I be able to give an insight on an article if I didn't read it first???

How would I be able to like/dislike it if I didn't read it?

Geez, talking about jumping to conclusions....

If you want a place with better transit, find such a place and move there.:tdown:

Listen guy obviously you've got a problem. I'm not arguing about a simple article that I posted and basically didn't say anything about. Like I said before, if you take issue w/the article then don't post on it. Nobody forced you to read it, but I don't need you or anyone else to tell me where I need to move, etc. Thank you very much.

How would I be able to give an insight on an article if I didn't read it first???

How would I be able to like/dislike it if I didn't read it?

Geez, talking about jumping to conclusions....

I'm not sure who you were referring to as b*tching because I really haven't said anything about the article, so yeah I'm confused as well.

Staten Islanders relentlessly scream about not getting their fair share of city services, especially when it comes to mass transit, but those at the top still aren't hearing the cry, according to a new study.

Or, if they are, they aren't taking adequate action to correct the imbalance.

A new study finds that while more Islanders are staying in the borough to work, they face the longest mass-transit commutes in the city and have scant public transportation options.

For some, it's a potent reminder that the Island is still the forgotten borough in many ways.

Read more: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/02/staten_islanders_left_behindan.html

Most of S.I has very limited options of travel except for some of the rather generic areas of S.I with plenty of service like a majority of Victory Blvd and areas North of Eltingville. The more south you go, options get reduced. Some areas of S.I can use more service.

My gripe is with some of the mall routes that sees 15-30 minute headways after 7PM, like WHAT THE HELL is that all about?! 90% of the time when I miss my Express Bus trip up to the city, I take the S61 up to the Ferry, but because of the headways, I evidently miss the boat by FIVE minutes. The headways on those routes really need to be fixed.

I do agree with the article to quite the lengthy extent. The S.I Railway alone is terrible after 7PM and several local routes run like ass. 80% of my trips to & from S.I include Express Buses and it is most definitely one of the best ways to get to and from the island in good time. Most of the headways along many routes in S.I really need to be fixed.

To be fair, both sides have a point. Anybody who moves to Staten Island (or any other borough for that matter) should do some research on the area they are moving to and make sure they are satisfied with all aspects of the area. If transportation really matters, they shouldn't move all the way out to Staten Island.

You have to have your priorities in order when you move to a place. You have to find the mixture of price, safety, schools, transportation, etc that you are satisdied with. Obviously, you don't have to research the area perfectly (say, whether the bus runs every 10 minutes or 15 minutes), but you should have some basic knowledge of what you are getting into.

On the other hand, that report states that some people are being priced out of neighborhoods closer to Manhattan (and therefore, closer to good transit, as the transit system is focused around Manhattan), and have to endure a long commute. For example, the report that they are referring to interviews a tenant in a subsidized apartment complex on a hill in St. George. The people in those apartments have less of a choice in where to move. They also interviewed a tenant in a housing project in Melrose, The Bronx, and Astoria, Queens. Those people really didn't have much of a choice-NYCHA accepted them into a project in the outer boroughs, away from better transportation.

Finally, you have to consider that the MTA has a huge budget deficit, and can't expand service just because a report said so. Unfortunately, the residents of the outer boroughs will have to deal with these types of commutes for a while.

Also, I can't paste the URL because I'm on an NYPL computer, but type in "The Big Commute, in Reverse" and see the NY Times article about reverse commuters.

I'm sure a majority of Staten Islanders wouldn't want a ton of buses going all over the suburbs makin' noise and "disturbin' the peace", just like these uppity people up in the Bronx at Country Club.

I think someone said that as well. Basically that folks should be careful what they wish for.

I'm sure a majority of Staten Islanders wouldn't want a ton of buses going all over the suburbs makin' noise and "disturbin' the peace", just like these uppity people up in the Bronx at Country Club.

The thing is that most of the buses on Staten Island stick to the major streets (with a few exceptions on the North Shore, like the S42, S44, and S46), so NIMBYs complaining about too many buses shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure who you were referring to as b*tching because I really haven't said anything about the article, so yeah I'm confused as well.

In that case sorry if you thought I was talking about you cuz I wasn't, but I was really calling out people in general.

In that case sorry if you thought I was talking about you cuz I wasn't, but I was really calling out people in general.

Well, that's fine. Like I said before the article could be about any of the other boroughs though as well. My boss lives in the city right on Madison in the 70s and she also complains about her transportation and she's dead smack in the city with 4 buses to use, so more constructive criticism would be welcome rather than saying that people should know where they're moving to as if they're morons. In some cases as checkmate pointed out folks don't have a choice or they may have good transit options that just aren't reliable.

To be fair, both sides have a point. Anybody who moves to Staten Island (or any other borough for that matter) should do some research on the area they are moving to and make sure they are satisfied with all aspects of the area. If transportation really matters, they shouldn't move all the way out to Staten Island.

You have to have your priorities in order when you move to a place. You have to find the mixture of price, safety, schools, transportation, etc that you are satisdied with. Obviously, you don't have to research the area perfectly (say, whether the bus runs every 10 minutes or 15 minutes), but you should have some basic knowledge of what you are getting into.

On the other hand, that report states that some people are being priced out of neighborhoods closer to Manhattan (and therefore, closer to good transit, as the transit system is focused around Manhattan), and have to endure a long commute. For example, the report that they are referring to interviews a tenant in a subsidized apartment complex on a hill in St. George. The people in those apartments have less of a choice in where to move. They also interviewed a tenant in a housing project in Melrose, The Bronx, and Astoria, Queens. Those people really didn't have much of a choice-NYCHA accepted them into a project in the outer boroughs, away from better transportation.

Finally, you have to consider that the MTA has a huge budget deficit, and can't expand service just because a report said so. Unfortunately, the residents of the outer boroughs will have to deal with these types of commutes for a while.

Also, I can't paste the URL because I'm on an NYPL computer, but type in "The Big Commute, in Reverse" and see the NY Times article about reverse commuters.

Slightly little off-topic, you could paste URL by using keyboard, Ctrl+C for Copy, then Ctrl+V for Paste and put URL code on link.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9806E0DB1138F937A15751C0A96E9C8B63

Archived