The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WHich is why I am happy with the MLB network, I don't even bother with ESPN. I only watch ESPN if I'm away in another state where they only have ESPN and even then it's just for the scores/highlights.

Like MTV, ESPN up to a few years ago used to be great. Now it's becoming gossip news almost like a sports version of Access Hollywood. While i am also a NFL fan, being fair, they almost igorne MLB after the NFL lockout ended. I think part of the agenda for lack of MLB news is fact, ESPN no longer covers the 1st round (Division series) of the MLB playoffs.:tdown:

Thus why i hope if this continues NBC Sports Net takes over the cable rights of MLB along with MLB Network.

This MLB Network update is presented Wendy's. Try our new great home style burgers. Yummy LOL:p

First congrats to Mariano Rivera for breaking the all time Saves (regular season of course)mark as Yankees beat the AAA Twins (No Mauer, etc)today. Plus the magic number for Bombers to clinch the AL East is 7 and a wild card spot at 4 at start of Monday nite's 9/19/11 games.

Here clip of historic #602.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qzccBL5-L8

Meanwhile off the field, a highly promoted new movie based on the book "Moneyball' and long time Oakland A's GM Billy Beame debuts on Friday. Brad Pitt is the star and has already gotten good reviews and possible Oscar talk for the international known sex symbol. Here review clip from CBS "Sunday Morning News" program's film critic.

The free fall continues. Boston loses again and the Yankees could wrap up a playoff spot as soon as tomorrow. Gonna be a very loon winter in Boston if they get bumped off by Tampa after this year's splash in getting Gonzo and Crawford and of course the resurrection of :cough:cheater:cough: Beckett.

That would be soooooo worth it. Only problem is, we're facing the Rays right now, and I don't want to tank a series just to bump Boston out of the playoffs.

Little off topic. Here an article in this morning NY Daily News by sports media critic Phil Mushminck confirming what many of us have long stated. ESPN outside of it's "Baseball Tonight" show providing very little coverage of MLB since the NFL ended it's lockout. I can understand weekends when NFL/College games are played but man ESPN has gone overboard with football 7 days a week. IMO and when one of the MLB national cable tv contracts expires with ESPN, Bud Selig and his boys should considers a new home like Versus which will soon be renamed NBC Sports Net. NBCSN (NBC Sportsnet) part of the Comcast family already owns a part of MLB Network. Here article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2011/09/17/2011-09-17_patriots_qb_tom_bradys_comment_captures_nfls_lax_attitude_to_fans_boozing_before.html?page=1

Meanwhile in next few days, the Phils, Brewers and Diamondbacks can all clinch division titles.

MLB Network is the ****. I do not watch ESPN AT ALL for baseball news. I love Quick Pitch, MLB Tonight and Intentional Talk.

That would be soooooo worth it. Only problem is, we're facing the Rays right now, and I don't want to tank a series just to bump Boston out of the playoffs.

Oh of course not, but given how many games left to play against the Rays, the Yankees will likely lose eventually [going by the numbers]. And yes, as I said before, as much as the potential demise of Boston makes me smile with glee, Tampa can be pretty dangerous as they will be riding the hot streak. A weak Boston is better than a strong Tampa.

Oh of course not, but given how many games left to play against the Rays, the Yankees will likely lose eventually [going by the numbers]. And yes, as I said before, as much as the potential demise of Boston makes me smile with glee, Tampa can be pretty dangerous as they will be riding the hot streak. A weak Boston is better than a strong Tampa.

All of this late minute Rays-Sox race for the final AL playoff spot is exactly the shot in the arm that MLB has needed in terms of buzz/tv ratings.

About a week ago, it looked like all 8 MLB post season spots for 2011 was set. Thus some critics i.e national sportswriters/tv commenators was even stating that to sportsfans across America, that baseball should call off the rest of the regular season and to not to watch MLB until the playoffs start. Now it's possible, we could be watching one of the all time *CHOKE* jobs woops lol being political correct "comebacks" in baseball history by the Rays. :)

Not to mention at start of season most people had Tampa finishing no better than 3rd (behind Boston and NY) after losing Crawford. This shall be a fun final week of the regular season.:eek:

PS Dumb question? Why is the regular season ending in middle of the week sept. 28, this year instead of usually the last Sunday in Sept. or first Sunday in October?

THat change came 3 years too late.

About a week ago, it looked like all 8 MLB post season spots for 2011 was set. Thus some critics i.e national sportswriters/tv commenators was even stating that to sportsfans across America, that baseball should call off the rest of the regular season and to not to watch MLB until the playoffs start. Now it's possible, we could be watching one of the all time *CHOKE* jobs woops lol being political correct "comebacks" in baseball history by the Rays. B)

Not to mention at start of season most people had Tampa finishing no better than 3rd (behind Boston and NY) after losing Crawford. This shall be a fun final week of the regular season.:eek:

PS Dumb question? Why is the regular season ending in middle of the week sept. 28, this year instead of usually the last Sunday in Sept. or first Sunday in October?

Yes, the Rays are very scary now. THey lose their best players and still manage to hang on. Boston is only where they are because they won so many games against the Yankees. If not for those 'gifts', they'd be way below Tampa now for the WC.

The only way for Boston to choke worse than the Mutts of 07 and 08 is if they are knocked out of a playoff spot on the last day of the regular season.

They started the season early this year so this way the last WS game [should it go to a game 7] won't end in friggin November. THe WS should always end in October.

Yankees have clinched the AL East! Yes! Good for Posada for getting that big hit. A big day for the Yankees: getting a playoff spot and then locking up the AL East, what a day. On the flip side, Boston has a slim hope again with Tampa losing.

haven't really been in the mood to post lately... but....

Thaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees WIN !!!! :tup:

....and, I'm rooting for the Rays from here on out for this regular season.

this Boston team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs; shunning papelb*tch for daniel bum this past... month, the great david ortiz faking back injuries & pouting w/ his head in his lap in the dugout after yesterday's loss... pedROIDa throwing his offense underneath the bus... man, that f'n team is in god damn shambles right now... and I am loving every bit of it !

I mean, giving Bard all these appearances over Papelbon as of late... lmfao.... That would be like us putting Robertson (how about that 1 pitch GIDP in the 8th tonight !!) over Mariano to potentially close out games...

Right hand... disengage...

Tongue... disengage...

lips... disengage...

testicle oxygen level approaching 100... percent.

^^ So much for those cocksuckers on ESPN predicting that Boston is GUARANTEED to have a 100 win season this year....

...and I'm wearin my Cano jersey, my custom yankee fitted hat, and my damn batting gloves (yes, you read that right) to work tomorrow....

*c-walks out of this thread... for now*

To B35 via Church:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks

American League East Prediction: FAIL

Woooooo The New York Yankees are the American League East Champions for the 17th time since division play started in 1969. For all those stupid naysayers at ESPN claiming the Yankees wouldn't win the east, there you have it. Baseball is a sport no one can predict, you could do it but it is not easy.

I will eat my words from early this season when I said the Yankees would have trouble this year. No where did I expect Boston to have such a terrible season with all their big splashes in the free agent pick ups.

THat plus the Yankees getting has-beens in Colon and Garcia. It's nearly the end of the season and both have been at least 80% servicable. To say they'd both fair this well [for the most part] this late and not sputter out like around the AS break, I'd have said you were crazy, but WOW!

Lessons learned:

Team roster on paper means jack sh*t as "you gotta play the game".

Always have faith in the team no matter what. I guess it really helped that the spotlight was on Boston this year. Gave the Yankees something to strive for [being to prove the naysayers wrong].

ESPN being proven wrong = EPIC WIN!

To B35 via Church:

Woooooo The New York Yankees are the American League East Champions for the 17th time since division play started in 1969. For all those stupid naysayers at ESPN claiming the Yankees wouldn't win the east, there you have it. Baseball is a sport no one can predict, you could do it but it is not easy.

Congrats Yanks.:tup: Almost no one outside of NY had them winning the AL East. Just to show these baseball 'experts' are no better than rest of us guessing what will happen.

Just to show 'another epic fail', most of the MLB experts was this also bad pick. No one had the Diamondbacks finishing .500 let alone on verge of the NL West and dusting off last years champion SF Giants. At least the Giants 'have an excuse' losing their best offensive player in Buster Posey for the season. The Bosox no excuse and it would rank with 1978 with horrible collapses if they fail to make the playoffs.

Look out both Tampa and Boston but the Angels are making a last second charge for the wild card themselves.

To B35 via Church:

I saw that link and good lord, almost everyone picked the red sux to win the WS

This perfectly captures ESPN's epic fail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

@Shortline Bus: Don't forget about the Cardinals buddy, those guys are only one and a half out of the Wild Card in the National League. Braves are losing to JAVIER VAZQUEZ and the last place Marlins while the Cards are beating up on those poor Mets. After losing Adam Wainwright to Tommy John Surgery, not even I thought they had a chance to make the postseason. Let's see what happens this weekend if it gets more interesting, especially the AL Wild Card.

BASEBALL 2011:

While it hasn't been meant for the 2011 Pirates or the winners of 2010's Central Division, the Reds, the National League is back after a low over the past several years.

The Philles, Brewers, Diamondbacks have won ninety games and the Braves and even Cardinals could join them. If the Phillies finish, say 2-5 (100-62), the N.L. will have a 100 game winner for the very first time since the Cardinals won 100 games in 2005. But if the Phillies finish say 4-3 (102-60), they will become the best Phillies team in franchise history.

The Nationals are having a decent season and are 75-79 with eight games remaining. Realistically, the Nats will need a 6-2 finish for a .500 season which would be Washington, D.C.'s second .500 season.

On this date back in 2005, the Nats were 78-75.

How about the Yankees?! 95-60 with seven games remaining and the winners of the 2011 A.L. East!!

C.C. has helped us again this season and is 19-8 with a 3.00 E.R.A.. I'm happy for Super Mo, MLB's new All-Time Saves Leader.

@Shortline Bus: Don't forget about the Cardinals buddy, those guys are only one and a half out of the Wild Card in the National League. Braves are losing to JAVIER VAZQUEZ and the last place Marlins while the Cards are beating up on those poor Mets. After losing Adam Wainwright to Tommy John Surgery, not even I thought they had a chance to make the postseason. Let's see what happens this weekend if it gets more interesting, especially the AL Wild Card.

Personally i don't mind if the current MLB playoff format stayed. However if Bud Selig and the boys want to add '2' more teams the wild card teams should play in a winner take all game. Reason is it would 'reward' the '3' division winners in each league a 'bye' in the wild card game.

Right now back to wild card races 2011, i know anything can happen. However i think the Braves have a better chance to hold on than the Red Sox. And thus i expect the current wc leaders (as of 9/22/11)in Boston & Atlanta to 'squake by' into the playoffs.

Let me make clear that I am no conspiracy guy. I believe we landed on the Moon. I believe Al-Queda took down the Twin Towers and 7 World Trade Center. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK. However, I believe tonight's Yankee loss was totally a conspiracy. The Yankees intentionally lost to the Rays tonight so that the Rays can knock the Red Sox out of contention. Then the Yankees will sweep the Sox out of contention this weekend. Brilliance.

Archived