The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

Well to be honest, that is expected when you have a team that's top 5 on OBP. On Tuesday the Red Sox left a lot of runners on base. You can't drive in all the baserunners all the time, the game does not work that way. The main reason a game between the Red Sox and Yankees take very long is because of their disciplined hitters. Those two lineups have a lot of patient batters. Hopefully the Yanks win tomorrow though it won't be easy with Lester pitching for the Sox and Burnett for NYY.

very true but remember it's the runs that count not the hits.;) finally burnett pitches a decent game but he can do better.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This MLB business headline update is presented by allstate. 'You in good hands' lol.:eek:

Bad news for super mets fans out there including on here like R68, Locomotion and others. The proposed plan by businessman Eddie Einhorn to become partners with the Wilpons has ended. Link is below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2011/09/01/2011-09-01_david_einhorn_is_out_of_the_running_to_buy_a_minority_stake_in_the_new_york_mets.html

IMO i think Einhorn wanted more power then the proposed purchase behind the scenes including part control of SNY. Meanwhile the Wipons trying at all times to keep around 90% ownership of the team are finding every option possible to get new 'silent partners' that would be 'yes men & woman' to them.

The Matt Kemp idea doesn't fly. The Yankees outfield is pretty much set. The only way I can see them adding another OF is if Swisher can play 3rd base. Texiera is paid the big bucks to be the 'everyday' guy.

No, the only left handed position in the infield is 1B. There are no left handed 2B, 3B, SS or C.

Also, you do realize that the Yankees don't need to pick up Swisher's club option for 2012. They can replace him with a younger and better hitter in Kemp via the trade

No, the only left handed position in the infield is 1B. There are no left handed 2B, 3B, SS or C.

Also, you do realize that the Yankees don't need to pick up Swisher's club option for 2012. They can replace him with a younger and better hitter in Kemp via the trade

I don't see the Yankees getting rid of Swisher. Never mind the fact that he's a fan favorite, he does decently for his turn in the lineup.

And my Mets win 3 of 4 against the Marlins!!!!

And you could've posted that in your other post, instead of "double posting".

Like 7line said, Swisher is a fan fav and he does play hard and it would be almost as bad as if they were to let Jeter leave. The only fault of Swisher is that he doesn't produce in the playoffs, but regular season he's pretty good.

I doubt the Yankees will have what it will take to get Kemp via trade [any team will always demand more from the Yankees]. If Kemp was a free agent, then maybe.

The Mets won today against the Washington Nationals, and Josh Stinson made his major league in relief, pitching 1.2 innings and allowing 2 hits, while walking in his first major league plate appearance.

WB Goji. What you reactions to fact that the planned deal of Eddie Einhorn to join the Wilpons as Mets Co-Owners is now dead?

Texas Rangers @ Boston 10-0 Texas:cool::tup:

Dundalk you have every reason to smile with your team. Assuming everything stays the same by end of regular season, IMO you can pretty much say right now it's 'too close' to call for who will win the ALCS between the Yanks, Red Sox and Rangers. Tigers only shot (if they hang on the AL Central) is if Vanderlander is lights out i.e Bob Gibson, Schilling, Randy Johnson, etc. in the post season.:confused:

Yes sir it is still too early to uncork the Champaigne the Rangers have no less than 15 games left with the West division and the final 3 of the season with the Angels and then maybe out of the frying pan and into the fire the Yankees and Redsox are very able opponants the good deal is the Tigers cannot pitch Verlander every game

If they screw up in the postseason, the Phillies are going to be embarassed as much as the Mets in 07 and 08 and shrink back to nothing years after just like the Mets

Actually the Mets collapse in both 2007 and '08 is still maybe the most embrassing in the playoff era (since 1969)in MLB history. The so called 'amazings' did not even make the playoffs either season as a wild card.

Making the playoffs is a nice accomplishment. However if the Phillies don't win the WS this year, they are going to start to be compared to the 90's/early 2000's Braves or going back further, the 1970's era Baltimore Orioles for being a very good team that could not win the 'big one.' The O's in the '70's only won one world series in 1970 while being 'upset' by the Pirates in 1971 and '79.

FYI. The Braves of the '90's era mentioned above only won '1' title during 1995 in a strike shortned season.

The Phillies are also in their prime. In a few years, the Phillies would be a very, very old team. Halladay and Lee would be well past their prime, Hamels would be well into his 30s and Victorino would be well into his thirties, Utley would be in his mid to late thirties as well. In a few years, the Phillies would be a very, very old team. Rollins would probably be long gone somewhere as well. Same can be said for the Yankees, but the Yankees have one of the best farm systems and they have more money then the Phils to get better players.

As far as the NL is concerned I am on the Brewers bandwagon. The pitching is coming together at the right time, the team is healthy, Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun continue to hit well and the Phillies offense is very inconsistent. A 8.5 game lead in the NL Central assures the Brewers of a playoff berth unless they were to collapse like the '07 Mets.

The Yankees do show pitching struggles at times but at the end of the day most pitchers will give up runs against that lineup and they have clutch players like Jeter and Rivera that can be counted on in big moments. They are my AL pick right now. I look forward to seeing these two great teams play for the 2011 World Series title.

Hard to believe for a team that has been around for over 100 years, but nonetheless impressive.

Well, a few weeks ago, the Yankees became the first team in the history of Major League baseball to hit 3 Grand Slams in a game, so that was a bit hard to believe, too, even though they played in one of the smallest ballparks for almost 100 years. :confused:

@GojiMet86 true, so true.

Any thoughts on Jesus Montero? Kid is a year younger than me but he can really hit. Went 2 for 3 today with a run scored.

I say he is doing well. that is why he is one of the top prospects at the moment. he shows potential. I think he can make it far in the yankees and in MLB in general.

I will say this, I just don't like seeing young guys like Jesus Montero and Dayan Viciedo of the White Sox being designated hitters. I mean the DH is suppose to be for guys like Jim Thome, Travis Hafner, Jason Giambi etc. who are too old to play a position but can still swing a bat. I understand that neither have a position, but it can't hurt to try them in the OF or at first base.

I will say this, I just don't like seeing young guys like Jesus Montero and Dayan Viciedo of the White Sox being designated hitters. I mean the DH is suppose to be for guys like Jim Thome, Travis Hafner, Jason Giambi etc. who are too old to play a position but can still swing a bat. I understand that neither have a position, but it can't hurt to try them in the OF or at first base.

Have they been trained at first or the outfield? Do they know how to shag fly balls or take throws in the dirt? Do they know which balls to cut off or which to simply run straight to the wall, or how to hold runners on?

If not, they would be defensive liabilities.

Archived