The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

@GojiMet86 true, so true.

Any thoughts on Jesus Montero? Kid is a year younger than me but he can really hit. Went 2 for 3 today with a run scored.

Actually today labor day 2011, Mr. Montero had a descent game with 2 home runs. Yankees in wild holiday matinee beat the birds 11-10.

Guys while discussing Montero, i found this article from NY Daily News MLB Editor/Senior Columnist Bill Madden stating his dislike of the wild card and how feel it has ruined the Red Sox-Yankees late regular season games.

What you guys think?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/09/05/2011-09-05_if_not_for_the_wild_card_it_would_be_one_wild_race.html

IMO the wild card is here to stay in MLB. Personally if i was Bud Selig, I would add a 2nd and final wild card in both AL and NL as been discussed all summer. It should be a 1-game sudden death game (giving incetive to division winners and avoid extending the post season further)and winner advances to the Divisional playoffs.

The hold up to expanded playoff spots is that MLB players union holding up for alot of money. So guys what you think of the Madden article?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have they been trained at first or the outfield? Do they know how to shag fly balls or take throws in the dirt? Do they know which balls to cut off or which to simply run straight to the wall, or how to hold runners on?

If not, they would be defensive liabilities.

Which they are. Many scouts say that Montero and Viciedo are not good defensive players. Most of them pegged them as designated hitters or guys who can't field but can hit. Viciedo played RF yesterday for the White Sox but I could not see him play. As young as Montero is, he still has time to develop as a catcher even if he's 6'4". Joe Mauer (Twins) and Matt Wieters (Orioles) are both catchers, are tall as 6'5" but they much athletic than Montero. If anything I hope Montero remains at catcher. He is very valuable at that position and would like him to be at least a Mike Piazza.

@Shortline I never read anything Bill Madden writes. Only Feinsand. As for the Wild Card, I would keep it. It's not the Red Sox/Braves fault that the Rays/Giants/Cardinals aren't playing good enough to catch up to them. The Wild Card gives the second best team in any division a chance. If I recall, without the WC, NYY would not make the playoffs in 2007 and 2010.

Speaking of Joe Mauer. Because he just signed a $100 Million-plus contract extension and to keep him 'healthy' the Twins since they are basically now out of playoff contention, have played Mauer at different positions in recent weeks. According to local media in the Twin Cities, the club wants to move Mauer away from Catcher while not as 'diffcult' as say Mr. Posada here in NY, has stated he wants to play there for a while. We shall see.

Which they are. Many scouts say that Montero and Viciedo are not good defensive players. Most of them pegged them as designated hitters or guys who can't field but can hit. Viciedo played RF yesterday for the White Sox but I could not see him play. As young as Montero is, he still has time to develop as a catcher even if he's 6'4". Joe Mauer (Twins) and Matt Wieters (Orioles) are both catchers, are tall as 6'5" but they much athletic than Montero. If anything I hope Montero remains at catcher. He is very valuable at that position and would like him to be at least a Mike Piazza.

@Shortline I never read anything Bill Madden writes. Only Feinsand. As for the Wild Card, I would keep it. It's not the Red Sox/Braves fault that the Rays/Giants/Cardinals aren't playing good enough to catch up to them. The Wild Card gives the second best team in any division a chance. If I recall, without the WC, NYY would not make the playoffs in 2007 and 2010.

I will say this, I just don't like seeing young guys like Jesus Montero and Dayan Viciedo of the White Sox being designated hitters. I mean the DH is suppose to be for guys like Jim Thome, Travis Hafner, Jason Giambi etc. who are too old to play a position but can still swing a bat. I understand that neither have a position, but it can't hurt to try them in the OF or at first base.

Just throwing a player out of his natural position isn't easy. I remember as a kid I was a 3rd Baseman and I took pretty much forever to learn how to scoop the ball out of the dirt when I did first baseman drills. I was tested into the outfield and that took me a while to learn how to judge fly balls as well. Montero would require some training to do it, thats for sure.

And I want the solid defensive players since we are still in a pennant race. If the Yankees blow away the Sox from the division and clinch it before the season is over, sure, go ahead and try him there. Not now, when the Yankees are in a heated race with the Red Sox

Just throwing a player out of his natural position isn't easy. I remember as a kid I was a 3rd Baseman and I took pretty much forever to learn how to scoop the ball out of the dirt when I did first baseman drills. I was tested into the outfield and that took me a while to learn how to judge fly balls as well. He would require some training to do it, thats for sure.

And I want the solid defensive players since we are still in a pennant race. If the Yankees blow away the Sox from the division and clinch it before the season is over, sure, go ahead and try him there. Not now, when the Yankees are in a heated race with the Red Sox

As i told Concourse, Yankspwnmets, both the Yanks and Red Sox will make the playoffs. Still main thing both are playing for is to be the #1 seed in AL playoffs and host a possible game #5 in 1st round and of course game #7 in an ALCS.

Tell me what? I know both teams are going to the playoffs. What I would like for the Yankees is to at least get a better record against Boston to finish the season. Plus winning the division would be a huge.

I agree with alejr88, they should leave the playoffs like this. Screw Selig in wanting other teams being left out. As I said before, if Selig wants to add another playoff spot then he should drop the Central division and go back to the 2 divisions and have 3 WC spots*. THat way you promote having better records rather than 'just skating by'.

*The 3rd best WC team [if within 5 games] will be allowed to play the 2nd best WC team for the final spot in a 1 game playoff, but everything else stays as is.

Tell me what? I know both teams are going to the playoffs. What I would like for the Yankees is to at least get a better record against Boston to finish the season. Plus winning the division would be a huge.

It would be pretty embarassing for the Sucks if they could say they beat us a hella lot... and we still took first place.

I agree with alejr88, they should leave the playoffs like this. Screw Selig in wanting other teams being left out. As I said before, if Selig wants to add another playoff spot then he should drop the Central division and go back to the 2 divisions and have 3 WC spots*. THat way you promote having better records rather than 'just skating by'.

*The 3rd best WC team [if within 5 games] will be allowed to play the 2nd best WC team for the final spot in a 1 game playoff, but everything else stays as is.

While I think the current playoff format is fine (other than the crap of home field in world series based on winning the all star game)i don't have a problem either if the proposed 2 extra wild cards (i.e 1 in each the NL and AL) are added.

A bigger issue is why is there so many intra-division games i.e 19-22 games depending on division.

IMO i would switch either the Rockies or Arizona(prefered choice) to the AL West. And Houston to the NL West making the NL Central a 5-team conference. This way Texas has a rival much closer to them with Arizona or (Colo.)than Anaheim, Oakland and Seattle thus cutting down on travel expensives.

I know it would force interlegue play all season long but the plus side IMO, it would create a balanced 15-team league in both the AL/NL. Plus IMO in playoffs seeding would be from best records regardless of division. So for instance the Yankees having a better record if they the wild card should have home-field vs. either the Rangers or Tigers in the divsional round.

Just my takes.

I did state a month or so ago about making both leauges 15 teams and having a 1 interleague series played throughout the year and Arizona to the AL west, move Houston to the NL West.

It would be pretty embarassing for the Sucks if they could say they beat us a hella lot... and we still took first place.

WHich leads me back to my recent 'spat' with SL over how 'thrilled' I was when the Yankees finally won a series against Boston this year. The Yankees had chances to win a few more games if they had better run support for closely pitched games and such. Boston is lucky they are where they are because they've been beating up on the Yankees.

I can only hope this carries over to the ALDS where whoever Boston faces beats them so the Yankees don't have to face Boston in the ALCS.

WHich leads me back to my recent 'spat' with SL over how 'thrilled' I was when the Yankees finally won a series against Boston this year. The Yankees had chances to win a few more games if they had better run support for closely pitched games and such. Boston is lucky they are where they are because they've been beating up on the Yankees.

I can only hope this carries over to the ALDS where whoever Boston faces beats them so the Yankees don't have to face Boston in the ALCS.

What 'spat' buddy LMAO:p? It's a good friendly 'argument' lol in which we both should be paid the big bucks just like the old "Mike Francesa/Chris Russo" aka Mike & Mad Dog show had. We (Concourse, Andrew aka R68, 7linefan, Locomotion, B35 Myself & others) are probably smarter on sports issues like MLB than at least a few so called sports hosts/commentators on WFAN ESPNradio & other media outlets lol.:cool: No worries man.

^^ I know you said "and others", but give alejr88, yankeespwnmets, and cotb their props too...... each of them come with pure heat in this baseball thread....

Right now, I just came in here to say...

LMFAO @ cry baby Beckett faking another injury.... and @ the Red Sox losing 1-0 in walkoff fashion....

There are probably the same amount of spectators in the stands as a Orioles vs Astros at Minute Maid. It's pretty rare to see Yankee Stadium as empty as it is. Posada gave the Yankees a 1-0 lead and I hope that we can just get through the top of the 5th and call it a night.

I would have doubts that Beckett would fake an injury while pitching scoreless and only through 3.2 innings. However, if he is injured, I hope he stays like that until the Red Sucks are eliminated in the playoffs

-Edit-

Its an official game now, but the umps aren't calling the game after 4 and a half innings. I just hope hte Yankees stall in their half to convince the umps to call the game so Hughes cant lose the game because of the weather.

Guess who back? The one and only Stephen Strasburg. Unlike his debut in June 2010 with a sellout crowd and a national TV audience watching on MLB network, the kid pitched a few innings in his first start since recovering from 'Tommy John" surgey vs. the Dodgers. In a rainy night at Nationals Stadium, tonight (9/6/11) despite a small crowd, Strasburg did get a standing ovation.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/09/stephen-strasburg-washington-nationals-tommy-john-rehab/1

Another pitcher this one a former Cy Young Winner named Johan Santana also is attempting the comeback road and may pitch within next week and look foward to a brighter 2012 for himself and Met fans.

Yankee game ended at around 2:00am, going to be a lot of tired

players for today's 1:00pm game. They had to get this game in.

Cervelli with a cheap home run, sure wished those 2 fans would

have tumbled over the wall onto the field. Hard to tell where the ball

would have gone if they hadn't touched the ball and Gardeners hit the

RF foul pole...Yankees always get all the breaks....but KARMA will get

them in the playoffs..........

Yankees win thanks to Jeffrey Maier and Brett Gardner. Has Boone returned to suck again? Jorge Posada even though he homered, he is a terrible terrible baserunner. Since there was nobody at the stadium, I was hearing ballplayers and managers cuss all night. Nick Swisher and Adam Jones were dropping loud F bombs on the outs they were making at the plate and Showalter just said "That's bullsh*t" on Cervelli's fan aided home run after the umps reviewed the call. As for Mariano, save number 598. Three more to catch Trevor Hoffman.

I saw Strasburg's start. He looked great with his hard fastball and 90 mph changeup. Too bad the Nats' pen blew the lead. Speaking of pitchers returning from Tommy John surgery, I am glad that Dustin McGowan of the Blue Jays finally made his '11 debut after three years rehabbing and getting set back. Back in '08 the Jays rotation consisted of these guys: Roy Halladay, A.J. Burnett, Shaun Marcum, Dustin McGowan, and Jesse Litsch. The first three are gone and the last is in the bullpen. McGowan showed promise of being an ace but I guess he might be a reliever down the road since he cannot stay healthy.

. As for Mariano, save number 598. Three more to catch Trevor Hoffman.

I saw Strasburg's start. He looked great with his hard fastball and 90 mph changeup. Too bad the Nats' pen blew the lead. Speaking of pitchers returning from Tommy John surgery, I am glad that Dustin McGowan of the Blue Jays finally made his '11 debut after three years rehabbing and getting set back. Back in '08 the Jays rotation consisted of these guys: Roy Halladay, A.J. Burnett, Shaun Marcum, Dustin McGowan, and Jesse Litsch. The first three are gone and the last is in the bullpen. McGowan showed promise of being an ace but I guess he might be a reliever down the road since he cannot stay healthy.

While Hoffman had a very good carrer to me he is a borderline HOF at best if were up to me. Mariano is not only the best relief pitcher of all time but imo he ranks among the top 20 pitchers ever IMO. Rivera singlehandely changed the closer's role forever.

And those fans at the Yankee game that ended at 2am this morning, I hope the team took care of them with free tickets to an additional game in regular season in handful of games this year or next season.

And i know i may be controversial for saying this, and it's early,but I think Strasburg future could be in the bullpen. With his height and his nearly 100mph he has the look IMO of a closer becoming the next Mariano. Strasburg is maybe the most talented young picther i seen in years and only question besides his health is whether he has the endurance to be a starter.

Again that how i feel for Strasburg 'comeback' who last night/this morning was the lead story on Sportscenter (9/7/11) even taking the NFL Kickoff countdown and college football off the headlines.

Stadium was more empty then Sun Life Stadium on a sunny day

Anyways, the Rays are 8 games back of the Sox and they have 7 to play against the Sox. Who thinks that they can make a comeback?

Not me. Although if we took first and the Rays the wild card, I would be very happy for reasons that need not be explained.

And i know i may be controversial for saying this, and it's early,but I think Strasburg future could be in the bullpen. With his height and his nearly 100mph he has the look IMO of a closer becoming the next Mariano. Strasburg is maybe the most talented young picther i seen in years and only question besides his health is whether he has the endurance to be a starter.

Again that how i feel for Strasburg 'comeback' who last night/this morning was the lead story on Sportscenter (9/7/11) even taking the NFL Kickoff countdown and college football off the headlines.

Here is where I disagree. The only way I see Strasburg in the pen is unless he can't handle starting. Relievers are failed starters. No absolute reason to send a pitcher of that caliber and waste him in the pen. You probably might be saying this is because he might get injured or for whatever reason. This reminds me of the great Joba Debate where people wanted him in the pen. I was one of those who thought Joba should keep starting because starters are more valuable than relievers. I rather have a power pitcher who can give me 200 IP than one who can give me 70 IP. And one more thing, there will not be another Mariano no matter how great stuff a pitcher possesses.

Archived