Is there a policy for train operators when?

jimbob60

On Tuesday, I took the E train from Court Square/23rd St to 50th St around 6:45 PM and returned to Court Square/23rd St around 9:45 PM (caught the 2nd to last train before the never ending G.O.) and both trains had 1 car solely occupied by a homeless person whose stench was unbearable. I was not paying close attention when I boarded at Court Square and did not notice the empty car as I stepped onto the train but even boarding at the opposite end of the car from where the derelict was seated the smell was overwhelming. I don't like to walk between cars but I had to along with 1/2 a dozen other riders as the doors quickly closed. At Lexington and 5th Aves a steady stream of riders moved between cars so that the car I was in was packed as we left 5th Ave. To my surprise on my way back from the city, I saw the car behind mine was empty and a steady stream of riders poured into my car. It was definitely a different train from the one I took into the city but I am not sure if it was the same derelict. I am curious to know if there is a policy for T/O's to follow in such cases when derelicts create a public nuisance. It is a horrible thing for T/O's to have to deal with especially as they have enough to deal with as it is. Riders only complain if a train is held at a station waiting for police to deal with a sick or injured or smelly passenger. Is there a policy for checking trains at terminus stations for such people? This guy was so bad you could not get within 50 feet of him. It sounds cruel to say but the only way to deal with this guy would be to have him stripped down, have his clothes burnt and have him hosed down outside somewhere. I remember years ago being on a train with a guy sprawled out across a bench seat. The guy seemed somewhat drunk and his odor did not overwhelm. A police officer boarded the train and banged his nightstick inches from the guys head to wake him up. The officer then ordered the guy off the train.

can't really do a damn thing about it. can't kick a homeless person off the train because of their odor no matter how repulsive it is... as far as the MTA's concerned, they "paid" their fare.

Heh...and now everyone else gets to "pay" the price :P

Worst case scenario the T/O can isolate the car...back in 09 when the Slants were still around a man who soiled his pants (don't ask, but there was shit on the outside of his pants) entered the head car and he stained the seats...he car had to be isolated cuz of that. I really felt bad for the T/O who had to deal with the smell for the rest of the ride to 207th by himself.

Funny you mention this now, because that happened to me this morning on the (N)... or was it the (Q)? I don't remember. But it was at Queensboro Plaza Manhattan bound. I bolted as the empty car pulled up in front of me. About seven or eight poor souls didn't and had to suffer through the 60th St tubes...

you're not supposed to isolate a car with the passenger still in it (although i've seen it done... LOL.) so now if you decide to do that, you'd have to maneuver getting that person off the train, who may very well have rotting feet so it might take a while, and then isolate the car. i'd rather just switch operating positions, if possible, and keep it moving. if not, screw air freshener... doesn't last long enough, keep a bottle of perfume (cologne for the men) or scented oils like i do. the passengers can maneuver themselves. :D

you're not supposed to isolate a car with the passenger still in it (although i've seen it done... LOL.) so now if you decide to do that, you'd have to maneuver getting that person off the train, who may very well have rotting feet so it might take a while, and then isolate the car. i'd rather just switch operating positions, if possible, and keep it moving. if not, screw air freshener... doesn't last long enough, keep a bottle of perfume (cologne for the men) or scented oils like i do. the passengers can maneuver themselves. :D

Spoken like a true professional. That's one trick we weren't taught in schoolcar back in the day. My C/R taught me this when the homeless tide became overwhelming a while back. It's a shame that a lot of society's ills end up in the subway system instead of being treated in the proper places from the start.

I find it difficult to accept that a person who is an obvious public health hazard to others and to himself, cannot be removed by police or other authorities. While there are laws that protect individuals, there are others that protect the public good, as well. Clearly such an individual who does not protect themself can be committed to a facility that will do so.

I find it difficult to accept that a person who is an obvious public health hazard to others and to himself, cannot be removed by police or other authorities. While there are laws that protect individuals, there are others that protect the public good, as well. Clearly such an individual who does not protect themself can be committed to a facility that will do so.

Just becuase someone smells terrible or is dirty does not mean they can be commited. Generally, unless you are homicidal or suicidal, it is very difficult to get someone taken to a mental health treatment facility, even for a 72 hour observation period, much less being held long term.

Even with a homeless person, if they have a plan for where they can sleep and find food, even if that is under a bridge or in a subway station and in a certain dumpster, that is enough to stop a judge from declaring him/her unable to care for himself/herself.

Archived