SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

I can, imagine having the (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(M) stopping on the same platform.

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

Imagine having A, C, D, F, R and Q trains stopping on the same platform..

7 minutes ago, VIP said:

Sounds like West 4 Street all over again

That would actually be the case if the (B) to Brighton Beach had trains running leaving 145 St between 9:25 PM up to 10:08 PM, and Brighton Beach 9:10 PM with the last one at 9:56 PM. However, that was cut. 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Missabassie said:

(A)(C)(F) up 'gainst the wall, (D)(Q)(R) over da bridge.... Bway/Lafayette was an interesting place to be today

There was some (N) trains over 6 Av line going south to Stillwell Av today. It was probably diverted to 96 St/2 Av instead of Ditmars Blvd due to an incident at the 60th St tube. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

There was some (N) trains over 6 Av line going south to Stillwell Av today. It was probably diverted to 96 St/2 Av instead of Ditmars Blvd due to an incident at the 60th St tube. 

Damn 6th Ave must have been quite a mess, especially downtown:

Downtown (D)(F)(Q) and add the (N)(R) all on the downtown express track. Now only the (F) switches back to local at W 4 St and merges with the rerouted (A)(C). Assume that all routes except the (A)(Q) each every 12 minutes; that’s already 26 TPH on the express 6 Av,

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

That would actually be the case if the (B) to Brighton Beach had trains running leaving 145 St between 9:25 PM up to 10:08 PM, and Brighton Beach 9:10 PM with the last one at 9:56 PM. However, that was cut. 

I mean it did actually happen before with every single northbound 6 Av train running via 8 Av.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:17 PM, VIP said:

They don’t specifically single out which units perform best/worse and assign the cars for service. Whatever R46 you see on the (N) ends up on the (Q) and the same goes with the (W) what can be done is having the R68/68A’s exclusive to the (Q) while the (N)/(W) swap R46’s

This doesn’t work in practice, since it would just cause the same problem it did last year, when the (Q) was assigned on paper all R46s, and the (N) was 1/2 R46, and half R68 + R160. The reliability of the (Q) was so bad that the (G) then had to start using R46s so that some of its R68s could run on the (Q). We now reached a point where an exclusive R46!fleet for any line excluding shuttles is not viable.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

This doesn’t work in practice, since it would just cause the same problem it did last year, when the (Q) was assigned on paper all R46s, and the (N) was 1/2 R46, and half R68 + R160. The reliability of the (Q) was so bad that the (G) then had to start using R46s so that some of its R68s could run on the (Q). We now reached a point where an exclusive R46!fleet for any line excluding shuttles is not viable.

I’ve just had a thought.

I have never seen any R-160 from Coney Island Yard look in any way dirty. A few years ago, they also treated their R-68/R-68A’s well. Then the (W) came back, which just made operations worse. Then the fleet swap was just the cherry on top. 
Now, I’m pretty sure CI Yard doesn’t really treat its SMEES that well, as it wants its NTTs back, specifically its R-160 series (more than the 211s, I’m pretty sure). The only reason why the (D)‘s R-68s look so good is because Concourse actually cares for them. Once those R-68s are in CIY’s hands, they’re most likely going to not care for them to get them retired ASAP so they can get their NTTs back.

These are just my predictions and observations.

11 hours ago, Storm said:

I’ve just had a thought.

I have never seen any R-160 from Coney Island Yard look in any way dirty. A few years ago, they also treated their R-68/R-68A’s well. Then the (W) came back, which just made operations worse. Then the fleet swap was just the cherry on top. 
Now, I’m pretty sure CI Yard doesn’t really treat its SMEES that well, as it wants its NTTs back, specifically its R-160 series (more than the 211s, I’m pretty sure). The only reason why the (D)‘s R-68s look so good is because Concourse actually cares for them. Once those R-68s are in CIY’s hands, they’re most likely going to not care for them to get them retired ASAP so they can get their NTTs back.

Well the R68As prior to the (W) restoration and SAS, the R68s and R68As at CI only ran weekday rush hours and middays on the (B), with a subset assigned to the full time (G), since no R68/R68A cars ran on the (N)(Q) due to the Ditmars terminal issues, both routes needing to use R160s. When the (W) was restored, R68s had to run on the (N) now since ex-Prince Andrew wanted SAS to use only R160s, and like you mentioned, the spare factor in all yards went down to accommodate the additional cards needed for CI.

15 hours ago, Storm said:

I’ve just had a thought.

But CIY has had R68 cars right from the start. Why would they treat a car model they’ve always had poorly? I can understand the R46s, since they were forced by the higher-ups to take them because they could no longer be used on the QBL due to CBTC. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

7 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

But CIY has had R68 cars right from the start. Why would they treat a car model they’ve always had poorly? I can understand the R46s, since they were forced by the higher-ups to take them because they could no longer be used on the QBL due to CBTC. 

It’s not so much that they want to treat the cars poorly. Before the swap, the main responsibility for CIY was the R160s, and the R68s like i mentioned earlier didn’t run much outside weekdays, so it was easier for them to get more yard/shop time. When the swap happened, the R68s had to go into overdrive to make up for the terrible performance of the R46s. Even before the last 90 R160s left CI in October, those 90 R160s were literally ran into the ground running on the (N) all times. They were always needed, along with 64 R68s always needing to run on the (N) in addition to the ones normally always running on the (G) and (Q) (another 64 cars). This was to make sure the R46s had time to rest. You should have seen terminal operations at Ditmars Blvd before the last R160s left. Whenever an R160 arrived (especially rush hours), it would leave first, even if it’s route had to change (from (N) to (W) or vice-versa), just to keep the train in service and coming back to Ditmars after making its southbound trip. Those train trips that were scheduled as drop-out trips that deadheaded to the yard after the last run were almost always ran with R46s. In Jamaica, the R46s were not properly maintained since they had a large spare factor since about 1/2 of them didn’t run outside rush hours, and their main responsibility was the R160s for the  (E) and (F). Even though the (F) was 1/3 R46s, those trains only ran one trip each rush hour (on average) and could be switched out if in a pinch. And on weekends, very few R46s ran since even the (R) ran some R160s.

now after the swap, the R68s you see on the (N)(W) have to run all the time like the R160s did, with little shop time, which could explain their poor performance. The R46s perform terrible due to their age and poor structural quality, but the R68s run terribly due to lack of access to the yard shops 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

It’s not so much that they want to treat the cars poorly. Before the swap, the main responsibility for CIY was the R160s, and the R68s like i mentioned earlier didn’t run much outside weekdays, so it was easier for them to get more yard/shop time. When the swap happened, the R68s had to go into overdrive to make up for the terrible performance of the R46s. Even before the last 90 R160s left CI in October, those 90 R160s were literally ran into the ground running on the (N) all times. They were always needed, along with 64 R68s always needing to run on the (N) in addition to the ones normally always running on the (G) and (Q) (another 64 cars). This was to make sure the R46s had time to rest. You should have seen terminal operations at Ditmars Blvd before the last R160s left. Whenever an R160 arrived (especially rush hours), it would leave first, even if it’s route had to change (from (N) to (W) or vice-versa), just to keep the train in service and coming back to Ditmars after making its southbound trip. Those train trips that were scheduled as drop-out trips that deadheaded to the yard after the last run were almost always ran with R46s. In Jamaica, the R46s were not properly maintained since they had a large spare factor since about 1/2 of them didn’t run outside rush hours, and their main responsibility was the R160s for the  (E) and (F). Even though the (F) was 1/3 R46s, those trains only ran one trip each rush hour (on average) and could be switched out if in a pinch. And on weekends, very few R46s ran since even the (R) ran some R160s.

now after the swap, the R68s you see on the (N)(W) have to run all the time like the R160s did, with little shop time, which could explain their poor performance. The R46s perform terrible due to their age and poor structural quality, but the R68s run terribly due to lack of access to the yard shops 

I wonder if the (MTA) will do something about this issue during the R-211 order (if they exercise both orders).

The only thing that will happen is the (B) getting tech trains after the (D) gets theirs. Once Jamaica gets their piece of the R211 order, Those displaced R160s would go to CI for the (B) first then whatever is leftover will be for the (N)(W).

All of this is subject to change.

Jamaica probably would get the base order R211Ts for testing until they get the last piece of option order I and the majority of option order II which would make sense.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The only thing that will happen is the (B) getting tech trains after the (D) gets theirs. Once Jamaica gets their piece of the R211 order, Those displaced R160s would go to CI for the (B) first then whatever is leftover will be for the (N)(W).

All of this is subject to change.

Jamaica probably would get the base order R211Ts for testing until they get the last piece of option order I and the majority of option order II which would make sense.

The (B) will most likely get R-211s.

1 hour ago, Storm said:

The (B) will most likely get R-211s.

The (B) won't get em because its staying at Coney Island. If they are moving forward with Astoria CBTC, It makes sense for the (B) to stay at CI to share its R160s with the (N)(W).

The (D) will be the line that COULD get R211s since its are 24/7 route and the (B) doesn't come out of concourse yard.

Jamaica is getting a piece of this order, It wouldn't make any sense to skip over Jamaica when they have the busiest lines in the (MTA).

It also wouldn't make sense to give concourse R160s while CI get R211s. That would be very dumb since the (D) is a busier line that the (B)(N)(W) combined.

Edited by R32 3838

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The (B) won't get em because its staying at Coney Island. If they are moving forward with Astoria CBTC, It makes sense for the (B) to stay at CI to share its R160s with the (N)(W).

The (D) will be the line that COULD get R211s since its are 24/7 route and the (B) doesn't come out of concourse yard.

Jamaica is getting a piece of this order, It wouldn't make any sense to skip over Jamaica when they have the busiest lines in the (MTA).

It also wouldn't make sense to give concourse R160s while CI get R211s. That would be very dumb since the (D) is a busier line that the (B)(N)(W) combined.

Wait. Wasn’t the (B) going to be transferred to Concourse? That way the (B) and (D) would have one shared fleet of R211s. Guess they realized that you can’t assign 800 cars to a yard that can barely fit 300.

when the entire B division is fully NTT, I can imagine that the (B) and (G) will be based out of Coney Island Yard again. Jamaica just doesn’t have room on maintain the (G) in addition to the (E)(F) and (R), and concourse is too small to handle the (B) and (D).  One thing I realized since the (G) went back to Jamaica was that it’s spare factor is really part of the (F). This way, the trains needed for rush hour service can just come from CIY (the Avenue X side), and when going for maintenance, the train can just run as the (F) to Jamaica and get serviced there, while a spare R160 sitting in Coney Island can be broken up into two 5-car trains for the (G). This way, the (G) train R160s wouldn’t need to overcrowd Queens Blvd to get to/from a yard

Edited by darkstar8983

29 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Wait. Wasn’t the (B) going to be transferred to Concourse? That way the (B) and (D) would have one shared fleet of R211s. Guess they realized that you can’t assign 800 cars to a yard that can barely fit 300.

Last I heard, the capacity at Concourse Yard is too small to have all the (B) trains out of there. 

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

when the entire B division is fully NTT, I can imagine that the (B) and (G) will be based out of Coney Island Yard again. Jamaica just doesn’t have room on maintain the (G) in addition to the (E)(F) and (R), and concourse is too small to handle the (B) and (D).  One thing I realized since the (G) went back to Jamaica was that it’s spare factor is really part of the (F). This way, the trains needed for rush hour service can just come from CIY (the Avenue X side), and when going for maintenance, the train can just run as the (F) to Jamaica and get serviced there, while a spare R160 sitting in Coney Island can be broken up into two 5-car trains for the (G). This way, the (G) train R160s wouldn’t need to overcrowd Queens Blvd to get to/from a yard

Astoria CBTC is back on the table so It wouldn't make sense to move the (B) to Concourse now anyway since CIY would need CBTC equipped cars for all 3 (B)(N)(W) lines. in 3 years the (B) would need priority for tech trains while whatever is left would be for the (N)(W) until they receive more cars since Astoria CBTC is far out.

The (G) can stay at Jamaica, They can handle it. It's not like it was Pre- 2010 when they had all (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) lines in one yard. The (M) is out of ENY yard so that's one less line they have at that yard.

Edited by R32 3838

18 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It makes sense, but down here if it makes sense-it doesn’t happen. Queens Boulevard (Jamaica yard) is going to have 1 fleet and that’s the R160’s. Doubt they’re gonna want to spend money and time switching out trains when the R211 will do the same as the 160’s… serve as CBTC operable trains. If the 211’s go to Jamaica for the busiest lines, I don’t see personnel specifically keeping the R211’s off the (R) 

11 hours ago, Vulturious said:

What sort of black magic sorcery is this? Took them so long to even start cleaning their trains.

Oh please… they just repainted the bonnets lol I doubt they’re cleaning those cars. That paint job looks half assed too.