SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently, an (R) hit a bumping block somewhere in the system? Not sure of any details but I keep seeing it pop up on instagram.

95th st the train came into the station too fast

Well, the two between Byford and Davies were only acting presidents.

and it could probably be Davies just wants to go home to Boston and MassPort gave him the package he wanted to make it worthwhile to leave. It’s not like Byford having Cuomo second guessing him and excluding him that pushed him to resign. And even then, Byford went home to run Transport for London… and was barely there for two years before leaving again and eventually taking that HSR job with Amtrak.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 7-express said:

Does anyone have a picture of the anti-jumping turnstile fins referenced in this article?  First I'm hearing of it.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/mta-making-it-harder-to-back-cock-evade-fare-at-subway-turnstiles/

Personally I don’t have any pictures to share, sorry. BUT if you go to Lexington Avenue-59th Street on the (4)(5)(6)(N)(R)(W), you’ll notice these metal plates on the sides of the turnstiles which are the Anti-Jumping Fins. IIRC they were installed a few weeks ago or last month.

22 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

When i was on the broadway line earlier, I saw a set of R68s with blue stickers under their number boards, The car was 2864. I wonder what modification they did to that set?

I saw the same on 2792, if I'm not mistaken. Not really sure what the significance of that is.

Looking at all the subway service changes this weekend, and it's evident that Brooklyn got hit hard this long weekend.

The (2) along Flatbush and (3) train are out on the numbered lines. The (J) west of Crescent, the (L) east of Myrtle-Wyckoff, the (F) south of Kings Highway. 

I suppose the amount of people traveling might help offset some of the crowding, but still. 

Running the (M) during these GOs every 12 minutes is not sufficient - those trains were jammed butt to gut and because of the limited headways, there were many gaps larger than 15 minutes (sometimes close to 20 minutes) between trains and excessive crowding. Next time transit needs to run the (M) every 8 minutes during these GOs

Every 8 minutes to 96th is not possible.

i worked the M both days this weekend…

every…

single…

solitary…

trip…

arrived late. 

and many of the delays were caused by inattentive passengers. They stand there, hand holding the door open. Foot on the threshold plate. Staring up at the FIND and the cleaning display.

and all the while I’m mashing the Charlie Button. 

or they will come to me and refuse to let the train leave until I answer every single one of their questions.

“How do I get to the four train?”

we don’t meet the 4 directly, you have to transfer to the 6

”you don’t stop at 14th street?”

14 and 6th, no transfer to the 4 there. You need the 6.

”but doesn’t this stop at Bowling Green?”

we’re not going anywhere near bowling green, look, Broadway Lafayette for the 6 and you can get the 4 from the 6.

”but I need the 4”

….

and remember, they are usually holding the doorway open.

10 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

every…

single…

solitary…

trip…

arrived late. 

and many of the delays were caused by inattentive passengers. They stand there, hand holding the door open. Foot on the threshold plate. Staring up at the FIND and the cleaning display.

or they will come to me and refuse to let the train leave until I answer every single one of their questions.

we’re not going anywhere near bowling green, look, Broadway Lafayette for the 6 and you can get the 4 from the 6.

”but I need the 4”

….

Just curious, would you get in trouble if you closed the doors on them anyway?

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

every…

single…

solitary…

trip…

arrived late. 

”but I need the 4”

….

Many of those people would have the answer to their questions if they learned how to use google.
For many when you answer their question they still look at you confused and ask the same question. It’s at that point where I begin to feel like I’m wasting my time because they are not listening to what is being said. 
Me personally if I’m going to a place where I’m not familiar with I will spend a couple moments on google maps looking around so that I’m not walking around completely clueless. 

12 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

every…

single…

solitary…

trip…

arrived late. 

”but I need the 4”

….

christ..

20 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

”but I need the 4”

….

I swear this is basically an Oblivion NPC conversation lmao. But seriously, its sometimes crazy how some people have such a horrible sense of direction. tbf some service changes can be confusing but as others said, mta.info and the internet exists so idk.

15 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Many of those people would have the answer to their questions if they learned how to use google.

It would be nice if Google Maps gave the correct answer. It doesn’t even give the correct time for (N) trains leaving Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue most of the time. But then again, neither do the countdown timers on the platform.

Getting around amounts to divination, prayer, and quick wits for the layperson.