Work on Extending the No. 7 Line Continues to Progres

7Ave_0411-1.jpg

Construction of the No. 7 Subway Extension, which will provide new subway service to 34th Street and 11th Avenue, continues to make significant progress. As part of the project's largest contract, boring for two parallel subway tunnels is complete. The contract, which also includes excavation of a three-block long cavern for the subway station, a station platform and mezzanine level, is 85 percent complete. It has a contractual completion date of September 2012.

Read more here.

7Ave_0411-1.jpg

Construction of the No. 7 Subway Extension, which will provide new subway service to 34th Street and 11th Avenue, continues to make significant progress. As part of the project's largest contract, boring for two parallel subway tunnels is complete. The contract, which also includes excavation of a three-block long cavern for the subway station, a station platform and mezzanine level, is 85 percent complete. It has a contractual completion date of September 2012.

Read more here.

I can confirm that from my end--inside the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

On Saturday night, the contractor restored the roadway in the lower level of the North Wing to its full original configuration and pulled out for good.

There is virtually no trace left that the construction ever occurred here. Even the temporary emergency escape shaft has been completely sealed off.

...and don't forget the express stop at 59St/Lexington Av. That was added in the 1950's, below the already existing local station platforms.

I believe they provisioned for that knowing the BMT would be building a line across 59 Street. The 10 Avenue station might not be provisioned for.

I believe they provisioned for that knowing the BMT would be building a line across 59 Street. The 10 Avenue station might not be provisioned for.

I sure hope that they do. I thought that I heard about the City or whoever getting money to make the shell for the station. It's a damn shame it isn't being constructed now.

Interesting. I forgot about the express stop at Lexington-59th street.

And I did not know that the 23rd street-Ely was added later. How much later? I have been riding the Queens Blvd. line since the early '50's, and recall that before that station became a transfer point to the G line, when it was served by both the E and F, and there was no Citibank building or the other fairly recent development, the station was barely used by anyone.

People on the rush-hour packed E and F's used to chuckle when the doors would open and close and nobody got on or off back then.

As for the Hillside-179th street station, that was an extension rather than a 'fill-in' of an existing line.

Archived