Yellow Subway Entrance Globes

lilbluefoxie

I haven't seen any in like two decades. I always thought they should be brought back.

When that was instituted, it was

green: fully open entrance with token booth,

yellow: token only entrance. May have also been for part time booth

red: no entrance (exit only, etc)

Then, the yellow fell out of use, and now red is used for both no exit and Metrocard only.

Is there any yellow Subway Entrance globes left, either in the newer style or the old (NYCT) style? or have they all been converted to red ones? I coulda sworn there was one at one of the entrances by Sutphin Blvd-Jamaica.

I'll check for you tomorrow on my way home from work

I think that might be herald square or 34th st 7 ave by penn station. Midtown for sure, there is at least one if not 2 left. It's right next to a tall assed building so i know it's in manhattan for sure. If i'm remembering correctly, one has the square post by the end of the railing at the top of the steps, and one is at the corner of the railing near the designation sign. Still has the old (NYCT) on it.

I gotta go to manhattan sometime soon on an errand so i'll check it out.

I believe one is green iron or steel and the other is more stainless steel modern looking. It's been about a year since i've been in that area, so i'm straining my memory.

- A

I think that might be herald square or 34th st 7 ave by penn station. Midtown for sure, there is at least one if not 2 left. It's right next to a tall assed building so i know it's in manhattan for sure. If i'm remembering correctly, one has the square post by the end of the railing at the top of the steps, and one is at the corner of the railing near the designation sign. Still has the old (NYCT) on it.

I gotta go to manhattan sometime soon on an errand so i'll check it out.

I believe one is green iron or steel and the other is more stainless steel modern looking. It's been about a year since i've been in that area, so i'm straining my memory.

- A

now that you said that I just remembered a square Yellow globe with the (NYCT) logo on it (It just says "M") by the 34 St-Herald Square entrance... IIRC It was on Bway/6 Av or 8 Av... I forgot.

Is everybody sure they are seeing yellow globes, or are they white globes with sodium lighting inside, which looks similar to yellow; basically a "peach" color, that is not that different from an incandescent filtered through translucent yellow or especially amber? Those are the closest things I ever see to yellow.

Is everybody sure they are seeing yellow globes, or are they white globes with sodium lighting inside, which looks similar to yellow; basically a "peach" color, that is not that different from an incandescent filtered through translucent yellow or especially amber? Those are the closest things I ever see to yellow.

it was one of the square ones with the M logo and the thing was yellow

Jamaica-Van Wyck also has one on the Kew Gardens Road entrance:

Those are green, and if you're talking about the M cube itself, those are white Mercury bulbs that have yellowed the glass a bit (that's from the UV, and it's really greenish from the bluish light).

If that was a yellow entrance, you would see the yellow on the lower cubes instead of the green.

Those are green, and if you're talking about the M cube itself, those are white Mercury bulbs that have yellowed the glass a bit (that's from the UV, and it's really greenish from the bluish light).

If that was a yellow entrance, you would see the yellow on the lower cubes instead of the green.

Uh, it would be helpful if you look at the picture first before responding. I do see a yellow M in the picture of Jamaica-Van Wyck.

• 1 year later...

My children (Gwyneth, 7, and Owen, 5) and I saw a yellow over white globe at the entrance to the 1 at Rector Street -- we had just been talking about the globe system, and my daughter saw it and said, "oh, look, there's a yellow lamp." Maybe it was a replacement for a broken green one? If I can figure out how to post an attachment here, I'll post a picture.

Is anyone aware of any solid yellow lamps? Pics?

Thanks,

Jeff Ellis

Baltimore, MD

My children (Gwyneth, 7, and Owen, 5) and I saw a yellow over white globe at the entrance to the 1 at Rector Street -- we had just been talking about the globe system, and my daughter saw it and said, "oh, look, there's a yellow lamp." Maybe it was a replacement for a broken green one? If I can figure out how to post an attachment here, I'll post a picture.

You need to upload it to a photo hosting/cloud site such as Dropbox or Photobucket, and put the link in the Picture box.

Archived