May 2011 Staten Island Bus Map

LRG

The May 2011 Staten Island Bus map is here:

Map

Map notes

The S74/S84 Limited have been cut back to Charleston whereas the S78 has been extended along the S74s old route south of Veterans Road West to the Bricktown Mall.

However...is it just me or is the color of the map extremely off?

In addition, I've received word that Seguine Avenue has reopened in both directions (it's been this way for several weeks now), yet the S55/S56 are still traveling along Bayview Avenue.

*looks at the S78*

*facepalm*

*smh*

or as vv would say...

[via garibaldi]ay ay ay[/via garibaldi]

What a mess....

....as far as S74's stopping dead at Eltingville (transit ctr) when 84's run... I don't know about that setup... I think S84's should terminate in Rossville (or for easier turnaround purposes, the correctional facilty).... Let all 74's take people to/from the mall.... Looking at it from the vantage point of the shopper, I gotta say, it's disheartening to know that you'll get limited (quicker) service towards the mall, but, no limited service for that ass goin back home...

*looks at the S78*

*facepalm*

*smh*

or as vv would say...

What a mess....

....as far as S74's stopping dead at Eltingville (transit ctr) when 84's run... I don't know about that setup... I think S84's should terminate in Rossville (or for easier turnaround purposes, the correctional facilty).... Let all 74's take people to/from the mall.... Looking at it from the vantage point of the shopper, I gotta say, it's disheartening to know that you'll get limited (quicker) service towards the mall, but, no limited service for that ass goin back home...

Lol!

As for the new setup overall I have to say I HATE it. I really don't see why the MTA couldn't have just looped the S74/84 Limited through the mall and have it continue to Tottenville. Hell for what it's worth a lot of signs along the S74 and S78's routes still say "Tottenville"! I don't know, maybe there's something I'm not seeing here, but something tells me this new pattern may not last long...it's not a strong instinct but I'm just going to sit back and see how this all works out.

Looks fine to me.

Check again...the express bus route colors look almost the same as the routing color of the S56.

*looks at the S78*

*facepalm*

*smh*

or as vv would say...

What a mess....

But wouldn't that go against the policy of having the limited run the full route?

And as far as limited service to Bricktowne goes, I have a feeling that a lot of the people using the service are going to be people in the Eltingville/Arden Heights/Rossville area, so they wouldn't really benefit from the limited-stop service.

For example, on the S44, most of the riders you see coming from the mall get off in the Richmond Avenue corridor. Most of the mall riders are off by the time the bus hits Jewett Avenue, so I would expect the same situation with the S74/S84, and S78.

Lol!

As for the new setup overall I have to say I HATE it. I really don't see why the MTA couldn't have just looped the S74/84 Limited through the mall and have it continue to Tottenville. Hell for what it's worth a lot of signs along the S74 and S78's routes still say "Tottenville"! I don't know, maybe there's something I'm not seeing here, but something tells me this new pattern may not last long...it's not a strong instinct but I'm just going to sit back and see how this all works out.

Check again...the express bus route colors look almost the same as the routing color of the S56.

The reason why they did it this way is to save money. They save $350,000 per year by doing it this way (not factoring in any extra revenue coming from mall riders), whereas just sending the S74/S84 would probably cost them money.

As far as the problems that might arise (the S78 potentially being more unreliable and Tottenville riders losing access to points along Arthur Kill Road), we'll just have to see how it turns out.

the map looks fine, but damn, now the S78 is going to be even later than it used to be because that bus is never on time.

The good thing about the S78 is that the stretch of Hylan Blvd south of Richmond Avenue is wide open road, so there is the chance that it can make up some lost time along that stretch.

Since a lot of the traffic is in the New Dorp area, I would think that the obvious solution would be to install bus lanes in that area. There are a whole bunch of express routes in that area, plus the S78 and S79, so it would help speed up the trip of a lot of passengers.

But wouldn't that go against the policy of having the limited run the full route?

And as far as limited service to Bricktowne goes, I have a feeling that a lot of the people using the service are going to be people in the Eltingville/Arden Heights/Rossville area, so they wouldn't really benefit from the limited-stop service.

For example, on the S44, most of the riders you see coming from the mall get off in the Richmond Avenue corridor. Most of the mall riders are off by the time the bus hits Jewett Avenue, so I would expect the same situation with the S74/S84, and S78.

The reason why they did it this way is to save money. They save $350,000 per year by doing it this way (not factoring in any extra revenue coming from mall riders), whereas just sending the S74/S84 would probably cost them money.

As far as the problems that might arise (the S78 potentially being more unreliable and Tottenville riders losing access to points along Arthur Kill Road), we'll just have to see how it turns out.

The good thing about the S78 is that the stretch of Hylan Blvd south of Richmond Avenue is wide open road, so there is the chance that it can make up some lost time along that stretch.

Since a lot of the traffic is in the New Dorp area, I would think that the obvious solution would be to install bus lanes in that area. There are a whole bunch of express routes in that area, plus the S78 and S79, so it would help speed up the trip of a lot of passengers.

I don't buy into that make up time nonsense at all. Usually when a local bus is late it only becomes later as it continues. I don't know why that is but that's usually the way it goes. As for the whole limited stop service debate, if the bus goes from St. George to the Bricktown Mall, then how can they provide service based on a small segment of riders??? That idea discourages others from other areas from using the service and more importantly from patronizing stores down there. It's a loss all around.

Lol!

Already, the feedback is that passengers don't like the new set up. They esp. don't like having to transfer from the (S74) to the (S78) to get to Tottenville. They do of course like having access to the Bricktown Mall via the bus since they don't have to walk anymore.

Already, the feedback is that passengers don't like the new set up. They esp. don't like having to transfer from the (S74) to the (S78) to get to Tottenville. They do of course like having access to the Bricktown Mall via the bus since they don't have to walk anymore.

I can see this pattern lasting for the next two picks, but after that the routings may be altered again.

As for service to Tottenville another option they have (during rush hours only) would be to take the S59 at the ETC. The buses at Bricktown don't even connect as I took an S78 from Seguine/Hylan to the mall and was about to take the S74. The bus was about to pull out but I caught up after it.

I can see this pattern lasting for the next two picks, but after that the routings may be altered again.

As for service to Tottenville another option they have (during rush hours only) would be to take the S59 at the ETC. The buses at Bricktown don't even connect as I took an S78 from Seguine/Hylan to the mall and was about to take the S74. The bus was about to pull out but I caught up after it.

The story of Staten Island when it comes to transportation. Nothing ever connects. I really wonder what the folks at the (MTA) are smoking sometimes. You would think it would be a no brainer that people would need to transfer from the (S74) to the (S78), but then again it took them years to realize that bus service was needed to a commercial shopping area like Bricktown Mall. :)

The buses at Bricktown don't even connect

figures...

I get the sense that the MTA made this change (outside of ridding itself of that layover problem regarding the turn off Amboy, onto the corner of main st... and of course, outside of the service to the mall itself), with the mindset that S74 & S78 riders are interchangable... they most certainly are not...

If the 56 didn't run like shit (and had weekend service, to boot), that could have been a viable option to send over to Bricktowne, instead of making a route (78) that was already underperforming in terms of timeliness, that much worse...

I wonder if said riders wouldn't have minded xferring to the S74 where it previously terminated, to get to the mall.... As much as I get on communities that complain about bus service, I have to say that Tottenville riders would be 100% justified in doing so.... like you, I don't see this pattern lasting long either...

I wouldn't be worried about something as meager as the policy of LTD's running the full route... I'm all for running services to places which the most amt. of riders would maximize the use of said services; or at least, as much as possible anyway....

Furthermore, if it (the 84) wouldn't be much of a benefit out there, why have them running PAST those points (of the ones you list, Rossville in particular, since that's the furthest out of the 3)... I don't get the sense that there would be (as) many mall goers emanating from points west of ETC along/around the route.... Way I see it, (You) thinking that a lot of riders on the 84 towards the mall would come from points at & east of ETC, would be a reason to have 74's run the full route when 84's are running.... There are only LTD stops west of ETC, as you know...

If there was a residential (and/or main commercial strip where pax would embark/disembark) area b/w Bricktowne & Rossville, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on...

If there was bi-directional LTD service on the 84, I wouldn't have even brought any of this up...

I still feel all 74's should go from from St. George to Bricktowne... especially now that the route's been truncated....

figures...

I get the sense that the MTA made this change (outside of ridding itself of that layover problem regarding the turn off Amboy, onto the corner of main st... and of course, outside of the service to the mall itself), with the mindset that S74 & S78 riders are interchangable... they most certainly are not...

If the 56 didn't run like shit (and had weekend service, to boot), that could have been a viable option to send over to Bricktowne, instead of making a route (78) that was already underperforming in terms of timeliness, that much worse...

I wonder if said riders wouldn't have minded xferring to the S74 where it previously terminated, to get to the mall.... As much as I get on communities that complain about bus service, I have to say that Tottenville riders would be 100% justified in doing so.... like you, I don't see this pattern lasting long either...

Checkmate did not agree with me in another post, but I felt that all (S74)'s should run to/from Bricktowne on all times when the (S84) does not run. While the (S84)would had been expanded to run ALL DAY weekdays to run the full route that the (S74)ran between Tottenville and St George's via Bricktowne. After 8pm-11pm (last bus for the S84)would run as a local every 30 minutes.

I agree Bro(B35)that if the (MTA) was creative the (S56)could have been extended to Tottenville and run 7 days a week between Richmond/Eligntville.

Plus it would give Tottenville and those along Arthur Kill *West* of Richmond Ave, a direct bus to the SI Mall.

To pay for the (S56) and (S84)increases I would can the weekday extension of the (S59) to Tottenville via Hylan.

In short, this set up is a master plan by the (MTA) IMO to down the road end all bus service along Arthur Kill between Bricktowne and Tottenville and thus force those riders to either the SIR or the (S78).

Reactions to my comments?

Something tells me the (S56) should've been extended to Bricktown. The (S78) will be even more delay-prone and (S74) riders are pissed off. I have a feeling the (S74) will return to Tottenville via Bricktowne. Hell could've had short trippeers there

Q43 did you read my comments below? I agree with your premise.

"Checkmate did not agree with me in another post, but I felt that all 's should run to/from Bricktowne on all times when the does not run. While the would had been expanded to run ALL DAY weekdays to run the full route that the ran between Tottenville and St George's via Bricktowne. After 8pm-11pm (last bus for the S84)would run as a local every 30 minutes.

I agree Brothat if the was creative the could have been extended to Tottenville and run 7 days a week between Richmond/Eligntville.

Plus it would give Tottenville and those along Arthur Kill *West* of Richmond Ave, a direct bus to the SI Mall.

To pay for the and increases I would can the weekday extension of the to Tottenville via Hylan.

In short, this set up is a master plan by the IMO to down the road end all bus service along Arthur Kill between Bricktowne and Tottenville and thus force those riders to either the SIR or the .

Something tells me the (S56) should've been extended to Bricktown. The (S78) will be even more delay-prone and (S74) riders are pissed off. I have a feeling the (S74) will return to Tottenville via Bricktowne. Hell could've had short trippeers there

I don't buy into that make up time nonsense at all. Usually when a local bus is late it only becomes later as it continues. I don't know why that is but that's usually the way it goes. As for the whole limited stop service debate, if the bus goes from St. George to the Bricktown Mall, then how can they provide service based on a small segment of riders??? That idea discourages others from other areas from using the service and more importantly from patronizing stores down there. It's a loss all around.

That logic might work on a route like the S46 , since there isn't any time to really pick up speed, but I still think there is a chance to make up lost time because of the wide nature of Hylan Blvd (and there aren't really that many riders getting on south of the Oakwood area).

And, like I said, their logic was that the setup would save money, and wasn't really based on serving the needs of the population.

The story of Staten Island when it comes to transportation. Nothing ever connects. I really wonder what the folks at the (MTA) are smoking sometimes. You would think it would be a no brainer that people would need to transfer from the (S74) to the (S78), but then again it took them years to realize that bus service was needed to a commercial shopping area like Bricktown Mall. :)

The problem is that the headways aren't the same, so you are almost guaranteed that some buses will miss each other (though having them just miss each other is ridiculous: Like I said, there should be ways of drivers to communicate with each other to hold buses for transfers)

figures...

A small benefit to Tottenville riders is that, whatever riders actually need the S78 (and didn't use the S74) get a small frequency boost (though more riders in that area probably take the S74, since it serves more popular destinations)

I wouldn't be worried about something as meager as the policy of LTD's running the full route... I'm all for running services to places which the most amt. of riders would maximize the use of said services; or at least, as much as possible anyway....

Furthermore, if it (the 84) wouldn't be much of a benefit out there, why have them running PAST those points (of the ones you list, Rossville in particular, since that's the furthest out of the 3)... I don't get the sense that there would be (as) many mall goers emanating from points west of ETC along/around the route.... Way I see it, (You) thinking that a lot of riders on the 84 towards the mall would come from points at & east of ETC, would be a reason to have 74's run the full route when 84's are running.... There are only LTD stops west of ETC, as you know...

If there was a residential (and/or main commercial strip where pax would embark/disembark) area b/w Bricktowne & Rossville, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on...

If there was bi-directional LTD service on the 84, I wouldn't have even brought any of this up...

I still feel all 74's should go from from St. George to Bricktowne... especially now that the route's been truncated....

Makes sense.

Checkmate did not agree with me in another post, but I felt that all (S74)'s should run to/from Bricktowne on all times when the (S84) does not run. While the (S84)would had been expanded to run ALL DAY weekdays to run the full route that the (S74)ran between Tottenville and St George's via Bricktowne. After 8pm-11pm (last bus for the S84)would run as a local every 30 minutes.

I agree Bro(B35)that if the (MTA) was creative the (S56)could have been extended to Tottenville and run 7 days a week between Richmond/Eligntville.

To pay for the (S56) and (S84)increases I would can the weekday extension of the (S59) to Tottenville via Hylan.

In short, this set up is a master plan by the (MTA) IMO to down the road end all bus service along Arthur Kill between Bricktowne and Tottenville and thus force those riders to either the SIR or the (S78).

I don't think there is demand for that much service to Bricktowne, but I guess we'll see in a few months what the ridership patterns are like.

My brother overheard a bus driver saying that the buses can get crowded (with schoolchildren) along Hylan Blvd, but that problem could probably be solved by running some extra trippers.

"Checkmate did not agree with me in another post, but I felt that all 's should run to/from Bricktowne on all times when the does not run. While the would had been expanded to run ALL DAY weekdays to run the full route that the ran between Tottenville and St George's via Bricktowne. After 8pm-11pm (last bus for the S84)would run as a local every 30 minutes.

I agree Brothat if the was creative the could have been extended to Tottenville and run 7 days a week between Richmond/Eligntville.

To pay for the and increases I would can the weekday extension of the to Tottenville via Hylan.

In short, this set up is a master plan by the IMO to down the road end all bus service along Arthur Kill between Bricktowne and Tottenville and thus force those riders to either the SIR or the .

I don't think the MTA would bother, since it is such a short section of Arthur Kill Road. As it is now, those riders have already been forced onto the S78.

That logic might work on a route like the S46 , since there isn't any time to really pick up speed, but I still think there is a chance to make up lost time because of the wide nature of Hylan Blvd (and there aren't really that many riders getting on south of the Oakwood area).

And, like I said, their logic was that the setup would save money, and wasn't really based on serving the needs of the population.

I'm sure they could've saved money in other ways and made the line work better. Seeing that it took them years to do this when there was a clear need and requests for the service, it shows how bad they are in planning in general.

figures...

Ha, I'm glad you brought up the S56....

A few weeks ago I was waiting for the S56 at Tottenville High School to run into my B/O friend who works the route. Unfortunately he clawed out sick and never make his 10:47 interval to the mall. I was thinking the 10:47 bus would still come out by sending for a replacement...no 10:47. Waited for the 11:17...no 11:17. I was gonna take the 11:15 S55 back to the mall, but unfortunately I had to do some business in the woods across the street from the school (LOL) and ended up missing the S55. At 11:30, an S56 finally came!!!

Yesterday I waited for the 8:00 S56 at the mall...it never showed. I ended up taking the S55 to Seguine/Hylan to the S78 to Bricktown.

Again yesterday, I waited for the 12:17 S56 to the mall...it was 5 minutes late...when it got to the mall the bus pulled right out without laying over...and the bus wasn't even scheduled to leave until 1:00; the bus left 12:50.

When it comes down to the S55/S56 (and to a degree, the S54) the're basically glorified school buses to the MTA, with the exception that they pick up regular people as well. But with those buses running the way they do (half-hour frequency) and dispatchers not sending out buses to fill in the abandoned runs, it seems the MTA doesn't want to expand their bus network.

I've said for the longest that the S56 to Bricktown would have been the perfect way to give the route some appeal and attract an audience since it would travel through several neighborhoods in the South Shore (Charleston, Richmond Valley, Pleasant Plains, and the current neighborhoods the S56 passes through).

Ha, I'm glad you brought up the S56....

A few weeks ago I was waiting for the S56 at Tottenville High School to run into my B/O friend who works the route. Unfortunately he clawed out sick and never make his 10:47 interval to the mall. I was thinking the 10:47 bus would still come out by sending for a replacement...no 10:47. Waited for the 11:17...no 11:17. I was gonna take the 11:15 S55 back to the mall, but unfortunately I had to do some business in the woods across the street from the school (LOL) and ended up missing the S55. At 11:30, an S56 finally came!!!

Yesterday I waited for the 8:00 S56 at the mall...it never showed. I ended up taking the S55 to Seguine/Hylan to the S78 to Bricktown.

Again yesterday, I waited for the 12:17 S56 to the mall...it was 5 minutes late...when it got to the mall the bus pulled right out without laying over...and the bus wasn't even scheduled to leave until 1:00; the bus left 12:50.

When it comes down to the S55/S56 (and to a degree, the S54) the're basically glorified school buses to the MTA, with the exception that they pick up regular people as well. But with those buses running the way they do (half-hour frequency) and dispatchers not sending out buses to fill in the abandoned runs, it seems the MTA doesn't want to expand their bus network.

I've said for the longest that the S56 to Bricktown would have been the perfect way to give the route some appeal and attract an audience since it would travel through several neighborhoods in the South Shore (Charleston, Richmond Valley, Pleasant Plains, and the current neighborhoods the S56 passes through).

They could probably get more ridership if they just had more reliable service on those lines to begin with. I see quite a few people waiting for the (S54) and they just give up and wind up walking because it is not worth waiting 30 minutes or more when the scheduled bus isn't coming when you can use a quicker alternative.

Wow! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the S56 should be extended.

They could probably get more ridership if they just had more reliable service on those lines to begin with. I see quite a few people waiting for the (S54) and they just give up and wind up walking because it is not worth waiting 30 minutes or more when the scheduled bus isn't coming when you can use a quicker alternative.

Yup...if I miss a bus I start walking along the route until a bus does come...chances are I beat the bus by walking anyway.

I remember I missed the S54 by the Todt Hill projects, and I wanted to get to New Dorp...I would have taken the S54 to Richmond Road...instead I walked along the S54 route and ended up running into an S57 and took that to New Dorp instead.

Checkmate did not agree with me in another post, but I felt that all (S74)'s should run to/from Bricktowne on all times when the (S84) does not run. While the (S84)would had been expanded to run ALL DAY weekdays to run the full route that the (S74) ran between Tottenville and St George's via Bricktowne. After 8pm-11pm (last bus for the S84)would run as a local every 30 minutes.

To pay for the (S56) and (S84) increases I would can the weekday extension of the (S59) to Tottenville via Hylan.

few things...

bold #1: The problem is, there are S74's that end at Eltingville (transit center) when S84's are running...

bold #2: an S56 extension would have squat to do w/ the S59... two, regarding the S84, why bother w/ that; Arthur Kill doesn't warrant the amt of service you're suggesting, to the point where S59's (that do), should get cut back from Tottenville... that part of it, I would have disagreed w/ you too.... It's bad enough the S78 route got compromised; the 59 shouldn't also be compromised on top of it...

bold #3: end all bus service b/w those 2 points???

Then how would the S78 get to Bricktowne...

If you think about it, it would turn the S56 into a better east-west route on the South Shore. You have the S74 for riders in the northern portion of the South Shore, the S78 for riders in the southern portion, and the S56 for riders in the middle.

Any S56 riders who want to get to Bricktowne now have to go all the way down to Hylan Blvd and transfer, whereas this would give them direct access to Bricktowne (and possibly Tottenville if the MTA decided to extend the S56 there)

If you think about it, it would turn the S56 into a better east-west route on the South Shore. You have the S74 for riders in the northern portion of the South Shore, the S78 for riders in the southern portion, and the S56 for riders in the middle.

Any S56 riders who want to get to Bricktowne now have to go all the way down to Hylan Blvd and transfer, whereas this would give them direct access to Bricktowne (and possibly Tottenville if the MTA decided to extend the S56 there)

Tottenville residents were also part of the reason that the (S74) and (S78) got rerouted. They did not like all of those buses idling on the small Tottenville streets. Too much pollution, so I don't see how they would support the (S56) being extended there.

Nah, don't even can (S59) service to Tottenville. I'm sure the (MTA) with their lying asses got some kind of surplus. It's like SI can never get a victory when it comes to bus service

There are only LTD stops west of ETC, as you know...

should read:

There are only LTD stops east of ETC, as you know...

anyway...

Wow! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the S56 should be extended.

Far from it... I'd say, you're in the majority... well, of those of us on here that know anything about SI service !

My question to you is...

Why do you feel that should happen? You do realize that it's about 1/2 of the S59's total runs that pan out to Tottenville... you don't suggest some of that service be dropped, you're suggesting ALL of it...

Nah, don't even can (S59) service to Tottenville. I'm sure the (MTA) with their lying asses got some kind of surplus. It's like SI can never get a victory when it comes to bus service

yes, and one form of it is in the B44 SBS !

But that's being talked about in another thread... lol...

I am surprised at the positive attention (or, ebonically speaking, the love) SI local service has gotten on this forum as of this calendar year so far.... keep it up...

Archived