Train without lights on

Abba

So tonight i saw a Downtown (4) train at Borough Hall and it seemed like all the lights (or almost all of them) were turned off.But the train was in service.Is this allowed to be done underground?

No its not unless told to Or if the lights are dead, then idk what happens. OOS? Ive been in dark rides lots of times, even tho its not allowed, i pretty much like it lol. Longest Ive had was on a (3) Express from 96th to 42nd Street.

No its not unless told to Or if the lights are dead, then idk what happens. OOS? Ive been in dark rides lots of times, even tho its not allowed, i pretty much like it lol. Longest Ive had was on a (3) Express from 96th to 42nd Street.

Why would an in service train be told to turn its lights off?

Why would an in service train be told to turn its lights off?

lolz......

Well who knows, if the 3rd rail were to go powered off and the RTO wants the lights off lol.

But Lights DOES go off on most trains on the EL when its bright outside.

To scare people and create an insecure environment for everyone :P

ya its time for a Haunted house in the subway xD

lolz......

Well who knows, if the 3rd rail were to go powered off and the RTO wants the lights off lol.

But Lights DOES go off on most trains on the EL when its bright outside.

On the El the lights can be turned off but never when the train is underground and IN service. And if 3rd rail power goes out, that's something totally different and the train will stop at the nearest station or EE.

On the El the lights can be turned off but never when the train is underground and IN service. And if 3rd rail power goes out, that's something totally different and the train will stop at the nearest station or EE.

Well ive been on trains where the lights were cut off underground temporally. Who has control of the lights anyways?

No there was definitely 3rd rail power.When the train arrived I thought it would go OOS.But nope it just kept going.

During the 1970's and before - it was regular feature of the subways for the lights to go out temporarily as the train rode down the tracks, and passed from one track gap section to another section. Often while passing over a switch section of track - the lights would go out - it helped to know when the train was switching from one track to another (smile).

Usually when the lights would go out, the temporary battery operated lights would come on, and a few seconds/minutes later the regular lights. At certain spots in the subway - it was known that the lights would go out - often where there were switches and long distances between the third rail. Often one could watch the cars go dark - one by one as the train passed over a switch.

It was one way that many of us learned about the subway. In the dark one can actually see more of the train tunnels, tracks and switches. Now-a-days, it is rare for a while train to be dark, or a particular car to be dark for long periods of time inside the train tunnels. The connections between the cars for sharing power from the third rail has improved over the decades.

Mike

i remember back then the 46's used to have 1/2 the lights on- the lights in the center row would be on but the backlit advertisements would be dark

that happened to me on an (A) train about a month ago.

I know once when riding the uptown (D) (it was inbetween 110 & 116 on CPW Exp), the lights went out for about 10 seconds.

The only train that still flickers its lights is the R62; When you ride it sometimes all the lights go out in the car except for a few battery lights above the doors.

I was told recently that we would be written up for bringing an out of service train into/through a station without lights on! Something about people not seeing the train as well, or something.

That's why you have to give short blasts on the horn as well, like when wrong-railing.

i remember back then the 46's used to have 1/2 the lights on- the lights in the center row would be on but the backlit advertisements would be dark

They actually still do i was on a R46 (R) and it did the exact same thing.

Archived