MTA Bus no cost service change ideas

GreatOne2k

Not really. Where does the express bus leave you in comparison to the subway? The (4) train was too packed so I wound up taking the (7) train over to the (D) train and even that wasn't a fun ride. I would've much preferred the express bus, especially since I have an unlimited card. It not the express bus then MetroNorth. The thing is I was invited to the game the day of with very little notice, so I didn't have time to plan the trip. :P

Well now you know... I'm sort of a perfectionist, so you'll notice that I'll fix typos and such if I catch them later on. I'll even write back to clients correcting typos, so yeah, describing things in detail is the way that I am. It's the libra in me. :cool:

urr why slow down the express bus use metro-north buddy!!!! no need for any express bus to yankee stadium period.

NAH I disagree with BXM4 after BXM4C discontinued it's rerouted over bronx river parkway and bruckner expressway then goes to yonkers via woodlawn and gunhill road. After exiting at gunhill road it goes back on its original routing towards woodlawn then via nerid ave to central park ave. The bus goes to yonkers via yonkers ave. Service on grand concourse is inefficient slow and duplicative of faster cheaper alternatives. Heck rerouting it over the bronx river will make it faster and reduce operating costs. and former 4C riders do not want a ride that is LONGER than their previous bus which bypassed grand concourse for a reason. The 4 alone may have less ppl than 4C so it would be better if select trips go through woodlawn to keep 4c ppl happy plus a monthly to yonkers is $178 thats less than express card. So I doubt the 4 will be attractive vs metro-north

The monthly doesn't work on the subway, though, so a person that doesn't work near Grand Central would have to pay an extra fare.

urr why slow down the express bus use metro-north buddy!!!! no need for any express bus to yankee stadium period.

He has an Unlimited Express Bus Plus MetroCard

:tup:

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks this it should NOT EVEN USE grand concourse at all grand concourse does not warrent any express bus service at all as the D and 4 exist and at rush D is faster with crosstowns heck the BXM4 would gain ridership by bypassing YS and grand concourse and going on bruckner!!!!! my proposal will still serve norwood but kill the grand concourse segment completely making ppl very happy.

While I do agree that the BXM4 should not serve any stops *south of Fordham Rd* being realstic however, the ADA/Senior communities will scream since they are the majority of BXM4 riders along Concourse. If and when reconstruction starts on the (:P(D) lines stops such as 170th, Tremont, Fordham and Kingsbridge should be ADA accessible.

If the BXM4 does continue to serve Concourse, the first or last stop in Bronx should be Tremont, Fordham then the current pick-up/drop offs along the route. Yankee Stadium should be canned.

Disabled riders can use the Metro North for access to the 153rd-Yankee Stadium stop as alternative to the subway. Though I think 161st St-YS is now accessible as well.

Riders south of Tremont can take the BX1 to BX19 via 145th St Bridge to access North-South Manhattan routes downtown.

In short, if the BXM4 made less stops along the Concourse ridership I am sure will rise.

The BxM4 extension, I would do right now, actually. Unlike other express routes, that is actually a good market. I wonder though if it should end at Yonkers Avenue or Cross County, depending on if Macerich (which owns the northern mall) would be interested in allowing a park-ride at that mall.

It would easily meet NYCT loading guidelines if advertised. The only problem that I see is that realistically, to meet demand that the Bee Line #20 is having trouble meeting at this time, there may need to be late night deadheads from Midtown back to Yonkers Depot. Westchester DOT should be pushing for this, since they woud be able to operate fewer short-turns on the 20.

To speed up the service, however, the MTA needs to persuade the DOT to allow express and Bx1 Limited buses to operate on the main roadway (except for around Fordham Road).

The BxM4 extension, I would do right now, actually. Unlike other express routes, that is actually a good market. I wonder though if it should end at Yonkers Avenue or Cross County, depending on if Macerich (which owns the northern mall) would be interested in allowing a park-ride at that mall.

It would easily meet NYCT loading guidelines if advertised. The only problem that I see is that realistically, to meet demand that the Bee Line #20 is having trouble meeting at this time, there may need to be late night deadheads from Midtown back to Yonkers Depot. Westchester DOT should be pushing for this, since they woud be able to operate fewer short-turns on the 20.

To speed up the service, however, the MTA needs to persuade the DOT to allow express and Bx1 Limited buses to operate on the main roadway (except for around Fordham Road).

The last BxM4 buses to midtown under my plan would run back to Yonkers in service, no long deadheading needed.

The BxM4 would not relieve the W20 much, many of those people use the 4 train and are not all going to/from Manhattan. Many live in The Bronx, so the BxM4 extension isn't going to do much. What WDOT can do is to try and reduce demand from White Plains to the Bronx, by extending some more W40/W41 buses to/from 241 St. This is much quicker than the W20/W21 to/from Woodlawn.

The monthly doesn't work on the subway, though, so a person that doesn't work near Grand Central would have to pay an extra fare.

I don't care how long it takes as long I'm not in a rush, I can take a nap or listen to some music on my laptop. I pay for the express bus and since I have an Unlimited Express Bus Plus MetroCard, I'd prefer to use it as much as possible and get my monies worth rather than dealing with the subway where I am not getting what I paid for.

That '1' thing about NYC i really dislike. Other than Staten island and Citifield and Pelham Bay Park, "Park and Ride' are basically does not exist.

However I agree the BXM4 should be extended asap to at least Yonkers Ave at Empire City/Raceway.

Remember, the BxM4C stopped at 138 St at one point, and that is below the Yankee Stadium area.

What could be done is a super express (Like the old BxM4B super express) Yonkers stops, then Woodlawn and 233rd St stops, than Major Deegan.

BxM4 - all times Yonkers and Woodlawn, then Manhattan (depending upon ridership)

BxM4A - Yonkers or Woodlawn then all stops

Remember, the BxM4C stopped at 138 St at one point, and that is below the Yankee Stadium area.

What could be done is a super express (Like the old BxM4B super express) Yonkers stops, then Woodlawn and 233rd St stops, than Major Deegan.

BxM4 - all times Yonkers and Woodlawn, then Manhattan (depending upon ridership)

Again why the need for "A" and "B" buses for the BXM4 Greatone? Have you riden on the BXM4 at all or recently in last year or so Great One?

Trust me the BXM4 does not need a 'super express' maybe other than 1-2 trips during rush hours in peak direction if down the road ridership increases.

The (MTA) cancelled late in 2010(correct me if wrong) a BXM4 'super express' between Manhattan and 233rdSt/Jerome Ave. Hell the BXM7 Coop City Branch does not have a 'super express.'

Just run the BXM4 in current form IMO with an extension to Yonkers Raceway/Empire City or Cross County and can stops *south* of Tremont Ave/Concourse.

On your idea to extend the W40/41 to 241st at least on all day Weekdays and even on Saturdays, I do agree 100%.

Yeah, we need all the express bus service we can get. :cool:

Who hasn't?? I've used the express bus in every borough. :cool:

Have you used the BXM4? If so you would know the biggest complaint on that line is using Grand Concourse instead of say the Major Degan(I87)or Bronx River Pwy. Or making stops (though pick-up/drop off)along almost entire length of the Concourse.

Have you used the BXM4? If so you would know the biggest complaint on that line is using Grand Concourse instead of say the Major Degan(I87)or Bronx River Pwy. Or making stops (though pick-up/drop off)along almost entire length of the Concourse.

Well, my comment was about more express bus service, not where it stops at and such. Every express bus line has its pluses and minuses. While I haven't used the BXM4, it is good that it provides service near Yankees Stadium. :cool:

P.S. I saw a BXM2 (your favourite line :P yesterday while I was on the X1 heading up 6th Avenue. Of course we had more people on my X1.

However... Your BxM4 idea continues and increases NYC subsidies for Yonkers riders.

Gotham heard of the BXM3? It already serves Downtown and South Side Yonkers. So why not have the BXM4 go a quick trip to Yonkers Raceway.

Plus quiet a few riders from Yonkers use the BXM4 already that live near McClean Ave. With that said, I do agree Yonkers residents should pay for costs for running NYC based buses BXM3 and BXM4.

Gotham heard of the BXM3? It already serves Downtown and South Side Yonkers. So why not have the BXM4 go a quick trip to Yonkers Raceway.

Plus quiet a few riders from Yonkers use the BXM4 already that live near McClean Ave. With that said, I do agree Yonkers residents should pay for costs for running NYC based buses BXM3 and BXM4.

However... Your BxM4 idea continues and increases NYC subsidies for Yonkers riders.

Even so, it still benefits Bronx residents as well and if it helps increase ridership on both lines overall, then it is a win win for everyone in terms of the express bus riders that is. :cool:

Again why the need for "A" and "B" buses for the BXM4 Greatone? Have you riden on the BXM4 at all or recently in last year or so Great One?

Trust me the BXM4 does not need a 'super express' maybe other than 1-2 trips during rush hours in peak direction if down the road ridership increases.

The (MTA) cancelled late in 2010(correct me if wrong) a BXM4 'super express' between Manhattan and 233rdSt/Jerome Ave. Hell the BXM7 Coop City Branch does not have a 'super express.'

Just run the BXM4 in current form IMO with an extension to Yonkers Raceway/Empire City or Cross County and can stops *south* of Tremont Ave/Concourse.

On your idea to extend the W40/41 to 241st at least on all day Weekdays and even on Saturdays, I do agree 100%.

It is assumed the people from Yonkers and Woodlawn would fill up the bus.

BxM7 is basically a super express after Co Op City.

The BxM4 super express could work if enough people from Yonkers and Woodlawn ride. Maybe rush hours the bus could run to Tuckahoe Road, then super express after Woodlawn.

What's wrong with "A" and "B". The BxM7 still has "A" the Bx4 now has "A".

Any case any Yonkers extension would likely eventually call for an increase in BxM4 service.

Well, my comment was about more express bus service, not where it stops at and such. Every express bus line has its pluses and minuses. While I haven't used the BXM4, it is good that it provides service near Yankees Stadium. :cool: What point of ppl DON'T want bus on grand concourse do you not get????? extend BX1 limited to manhattan and call it express. BXM4 should use brukner expressway all trips should bypass grand concorse period!!!!! a bus that uses grand concourse has no right to call itself express!!!!!! heck let express bus drop off at 125th let the ppl use BX1 limited!!!! BXM4 should just go express period otherwise if its gonna make all those stops its only a matter of time before ppl get smart and use BXM11 super express and transfer to BX31. then how useful will BXM4 be now useless. No express bus should stop in southern bronx period otherwise its not express just a ripoff local bus with a premium fare.

P.S. I saw a BXM2 (your favourite line :P yesterday while I was on the X1 heading up 6th Avenue. Of course we had more people on my X1.

My plan will appease those folk as the bus needs to be on bronx river period!!!!

:tdown:

its called the 4 train or D train or pay metro-north DO NOT SLOW DOWN A BUS THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE EXPRESS

While I do agree that the BXM4 should not serve any stops *south of Fordham Rd* being realstic however, the ADA/Senior communities will scream since they are the majority of BXM4 riders along Concourse. If and when reconstruction starts on the (B)(D) lines stops such as 170th, Tremont, Fordham and Kingsbridge should be ADA accessible.

If the BXM4 does continue to serve Concourse, the first or last stop in Bronx should be Tremont, Fordham then the current pick-up/drop offs along the route. Yankee Stadium should be canned.

Disabled riders can use the Metro North for access to the 153rd-Yankee Stadium stop as alternative to the subway. Though I think 161st St-YS is now accessible as well.

Riders south of Tremont can take the BX1 to BX19 via 145th St Bridge to access North-South Manhattan routes downtown.

In short, if the BXM4 made less stops along the Concourse ridership I am sure will rise.

ERR the disabled folk can use BX1 limited the BX1 limited can be extended to manhattan to appease the disabled folk. Then BXM4 will LOSE ALL STOPS ON GRAND CONCOURSE period no questions asked!!!!!!! If anything the BX1 limited will provide a transfer to other express buses that will have one pickup for transfer ppl. Heck I think BXM4 service on grand concourse should run at rush hr only with 4 trips to and from then the rest express via bronx river parkway

Again an important question Greatone2k? Have you ever used the BXM4? It does matter because making suggestions IMO without ever riding it as like making suggestions on who should be the next superman/clark kent should be in a movie without reading either the comic book or seen the movies or TV shows?:cool::eek:

It's more than reading just maps/schedules to make this suggestions.:eek:

It is assumed the people from Yonkers and Woodlawn would fill up the bus.

BxM7 is basically a super express after Co Op City.

The BxM4 super express could work if enough people from Yonkers and Woodlawn ride. Maybe rush hours the bus could run to Tuckahoe Road, then super express after Woodlawn.

What's wrong with "A" and "B". The BxM7 still has "A" the Bx4 now has "A".

Any case any Yonkers extension would likely eventually call for an increase in BxM4 service.

The BX1 'limited' does not need to go to Manhattan. It's already a very busy route filled with bus bunching problems weekdays when schools are open.

Again as a compromise I think the BXM4 could stay on Concourse but the first/last stops should be around Fordham RD. The Degan can be a nightmare.

Plus there are riders along Upper Grand Concourse who would unfairly lose service for living in area between Moshulu Pwy and Fordham.

ERR the disabled folk can use BX1 limited the BX1 limited can be extended to manhattan to appease the disabled folk. Then BXM4 will LOSE ALL STOPS ON GRAND CONCOURSE period no questions asked!!!!!!! If anything the BX1 limited will provide a transfer to other express buses that will have one pickup for transfer ppl. Heck I think BXM4 service on grand concourse should run at rush hr only with 4 trips to and from then the rest express via bronx river parkway

The BX1 'limited' does not need to go to Manhattan. It's already a very busy route filled with bus bunching problems weekdays when schools are open.

Again as a compromise I think the BXM4 could stay on Concourse but the first/last stops should be around Fordham RD. The Degan can be a nightmare.

Plus there are riders along Upper Grand Concourse who would unfairly lose service for living in area between Moshulu Pwy and Fordham.

MY plan DOES NOT put the bus on the deegan it puts BXM4 on the bruckner expressway to bronx river parkway then gun hill all trips period a separate extention of the M35 to grand concourse yankee stadium via madison ave bridge to make links with BX1 limited again let those grand concourse riders use BX1 limited or bring back BX2 limited. No express bus should even touch grand concourse if it does it should not be called express period.

Archived