Donald Trump Not running for President

Shortline Bus

Donald Trump will not run for President in 2012 after toying with possible Republican candidacy

BY Helen Kennedy

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, May 17th 2011

"Donald Trump won't be throwing his hair into the ring.

The mogul and reality TV star announced Monday he won't be running for President after all, pulling the rug out from under GOP fans in Iowa but allowing pundits everywhere to crow "I told you so."

Trump, who has danced around running twice before, had insisted that he was really serious this time - and even started coming in tops among Republicans in some early polling.

"I will not be running for president - as much as I'd like to," Trump said at a meeting of TV execs in New York.

"Business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector."

His trademark bluster was inctact.

"I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election," Trump said.

Amid a weak GOP field, Trump galvanized primary voters by repeatedly hammering President Obama for a copy of his long-form birth certificate, playing into conspiracy theories about the President's legitimacy.

Critics had widely agreed that Trump's presidential patter was actually a head fake designed to drum up ratings for his TV show.

To make a serious bid, Trump would have had to quit his TV show and release his tax returns, finally revealing the true extent of his wealth.

Trump officially ended his flirtation with the presidency at a gathering of NBS execs in New York, where it was announced that "Celebrity Apprentice" was renewed for another season.

Trump had promised to make an announcement about his candidacy on the season finale of the show next month, vowing people would be "very surprised."

In bowing out, Trump promised his fans: "I will continue to voice my opinions loudly and help to shape our politician's thoughts.

"My ability to bring important economic and foreign policy issues to the forefront of the national dialogue is perhaps my greatest asset and one of the most valuable services I can provide to this country."

Trump's pseudo-campaign reached its peak just before the weekend of May 1, when he took credit for forcing Obama to release his birth certificate.

It then collapsed completely the next evening, Obama and Saturday Night Live's Seth Meyers roasted him unmercifully at the White House Correspondents Dinner, producing unfortunate video of Trump sitting stone-faced as the Washington elite laughed at him.

The day after that, Obama announced he had sent Navy SEALs to kill Osama bin Laden, making the questioning of the President's birth certificate seem supremely petty."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/05/16/2011-05-16_donald_trump_will_not_run_for_president_in_2012_after_toying_with_possible_repub.html

Archived