The dilapidated 240th Street Yard will be torn down

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=83295

They feel that the yard is antiquated and structurally unsound and should be torn down and replaced with a brand new yard. They will likely moved over to 207.

Intresting article. So any word if this become a reality when a new replacement 'barn' at 240th Street be started and finished?:confused:

Demolish yes,but rebuild no.the (MTA) is considering turning 240th St yard into a lay-up yard and turning 207th St into an IRT yard.shifting IND ops from 207 to Pitkin,207 St shop can't handle 8 75' cars.

Wow; that's the original IRT shop. Historic looking building. But it was antiquated. When I qualified over there, I was warned about people in the shop removing the trip and trying to have the train almost touch the bumping block, because they would be the only way to close the gates in the winter. That's how tight it is. Just four tracks inside as well (and mockups with parts of old R-15's along the side).

And then, the completely el structure yard. Even dropped my handle through, once, and had to go to the parking lot to get it. If it had been track 21, then it would have been on the other side of the fence on the running track on the school property.

Using 207th as the main (1) yard would seem to be difficult, because it is further away from the terminal (thought it might be easier in that the lead heads toward the terminal), plus already serves the IND. I guess they would have to use Pitkin more.

The (1) train currently has 3 yards, 240 Street yard, 207 Street yard & that yard between 137 St-City College & 145 Street.

I think its time to get these R32's scrapped so they can make room for the R62A's in 207 Street yard!

I noticed recently that alot of the (1) trains have been going into 207 Street yard. Last time I was at 207 Street on the (1), I saw a (1) train exit the yard and go onto the IRT Broadway line, then used the express track after the station.

That was a pretty epic shot ;).

The (1) train currently has 3 yards, 240 Street yard, 207 Street yard & that yard between 137 St-City College & 145 Street.

I think its time to get these R32's scrapped so they can make room for the R62A's in 207 Street yard!

I noticed recently that alot of the (1) trains have been going into 207 Street yard. Last time I was at 207 Street on the (1), I saw a (1) train exit the yard and go onto the IRT Broadway line, then used the express track after the station.

That was a pretty epic shot ;).

That is incorrect. The (1) has ONE yard which is 240th st. 207th st and 145th st are layups and storage only.

They still use 145th Street?

Absolutely, 137th yard (as its officially called) takes layups in the evening and sends putins out for the morning. No midday layups unless some GO runs, 240th has enough room since service isnt decreased THAT much during the midday.

This whole idea of moving the (1) to 207th St has been in the works for years. Now that the barn at 240th St is condemned, they can justify the expense of doing the switch. I think the biggest mistake the city made was getting rid of the main IRT shop at Lenox. Had they kept that, CIY and 207th wouldn't have to take care of every car in the system.

It is the maintenance car barn at 240th street that is planned to be removed, not the entire train storage yard. Many Number 1 trains will continue to be stored there over-night, etc. while the 207th Street yard will be used for repairs, car washing, inspections, etc.

Mike

Archived