The M3 stop that vanished

Via Garibaldi 8

So, this has really been annoying me, so I figured I would try to get an answer to it. There is an M3 stop at Union Sq. East and East 15th st going north that was there for years and suddenly (perhaps after the June 2010 cuts) it was removed. Mind you the M2 and M1 stop there but the M3 doesn't?? The other confusing thing is that many B/Os stop there but some of them will just blow by and will point to the next stop.

I see no reason why that stop was removed when the M1 and M3 basically stop together for all other stops below 34th st. That stop should be restored, and I plan on writing to have it restored officially, but I am just wondering if anyone knows if the removal of the stop was a mistake by the DOT or what?? :mad:

To the M3 driver that blew by the stop, he must've felt as cheap as hell when I boarded his bus and 42nd and Madison and rode one stop to 45th & Madison. Next time just stop and stop being so difficult. He knows that stop has been a stop for years.

Idk about 15th Street, But i know about the one at 14th Street and University Place which there was a shelter and was taken down late 2010.

I dont see much of the point of the M3 bus even running split off the M2, you can just walk to it. I dont see how its far.

Idk about 15th Street, But i know about the one at 14th Street and University Place which there was a shelter and was taken down late 2010.

I dont see much of the point of the M3 bus even running split off the M2, you can just walk to it. I dont see how its far.

That's old news though. The M3 now runs with the M1 from 8th street along with the M2, so it is no longer split, which is why it makes no sense that the M3 stop at what is essentially the Union Square stop (a major stop) would be removed.

So, this has really been annoying me, so I figured I would try to get an answer to it. There is an M3 stop at Union Sq. East and East 15th st going north that was there for years and suddenly (perhaps after the June 2010 cuts) it was removed. Mind you the M2 and M1 stop there but the M3 doesn't?? The other confusing thing is that many B/Os stop there but some of them will just blow by and will point to the next stop.

Maybe DOT forgot to include the M3 placard. Or maybe it's a secret, sinister plot to kill the M3. B)

DOT also misreplace M20 bus stop as well after June service cut.

When I went down to South Ferry, M20 bus stop was suppose to be at State St/Whitehall St with M5 and BPC Shuttle Bus Stop.

When I walked on Broad St, M20 Lincoln Center was at layover!

Because of DOT Missed Up, when I wanted to take M20, B/O usher me to following stop, State St/Bridge St.

Maybe DOT forgot to include the M3 placard. Or maybe it's a secret, sinister plot to kill the M3. B)

I would think it's not the later and simply the DOT forgetting it. In any event it's quite annoying, so I'm going to make a fuss about it so that it can be reinstalled where it belongs. The (MTA) isn't out to get the M3, but rather the M1. They already cut weekend service as it is and re-routed it from Park to Madison & 5th Aves.

Nobody can really figure out where to stop down anywhere below 23rd. The 8th street and 5th stop, for example, is labeled as a local only stop -- it says night service M2 only. It's actually a Limited stop, and I've never been on an M2 that didn't stop there. The University and 8th stop is a local stop, but then I also see the M2s and M5s that stop there, which is crazy since it's only a block from the 5th ave. stop. Then you've got the M8, which can't decide which side of the street to stop on -- it's all a bit of a mess.

Well I'm getting pissed because it's hot out and you're sitting there waiting for a bus and an M3 comes and then blows by the stop and then the B/Os signal to the next stop as if someone is going to go running 2-3 blocks in 90 degree heat with bags nonetheless. Today the M3 stopped and I asked the B/O if it was an official stop and he shrugged and said there is no bus stop located there, so I responded by saying that I would write in about it (which I did tonight), as the stop has been there "officially" for years before it was "suddenly" removed. ;)

I can't imagine why that wouldn't be a stop considering that it is basically the Union Square stop for those lines and with all of the elderly folks that use those lines at that stop it's ridiculous not to have the M3 stop there, so I'll wait to see what the (MTA) says. If they claim it's an DOT issue or f*ck up then I'll take it up with them. I have wrote to them before about the crazy amount of potholes/craters on Staten Island and they do get back to you relatively quickly.

I think the true M3 Union Square stop is on the South Side of the street, no? Ever since they change the University Route it's been screwed up, my guess is that when they switched to Astor Place and up they moved the stop to the south side instead of 15th street. That's all I can think of. Side note, it is awful out though, both of the D60HFs I rode today had no A/C and I was ready to kill myself going through Chinatown and then taking the M14 where it was hotter inside than out.

That's a possibility but if you look at all of the stops after that one notice that the M1 and M3 make the exact same stops together until they reach 34th street and then the M1 and M2 stop together at 35th & Madison & the M3, M4 and 32 stop together closer to 34th & Madison, so that's why the whole thing is odd.

The M14s are horrible. Totally rank smelling and the AC is pathetic to say the least. Those buses need to be retired or rehabbed because they are filthy. Luckily for me I only ride them one or two stops since I don't feel like walking and having to meander in the heat to get around people. I can't get for the life of me why they would have that blue cushiony looking stuff installed on the inside of the buses and they do nothing but collect dust and hold germs and dirt. They know they're not vacuuming those things, so put something in there that can be wiped down or that holds less dust.

The 5th Ave lines are usually good with AC probably because they know folks along the line would throw a fit, esp. my boss. LOL She was so appauled by one of the buses she took down to the office from her apartment up in the 70s a while back. You should've seen the look on her face when she was talking about it. LMAO

I don't know, it's all bizarre. I've never understood much about the planning division of MTA, and I doubt they even understand it themselves...

I like the M14 just cause I spent a long time on it when I used to live near the far East Side and grew up going to school over by 1st Avenue (RTS M14 = great). It's not the cleanliness so much for me, but the a/c. I couldn't care less about the seat as long as there's a/c (though I do like the plain plastic seats for the fact they don't need that extra cleaning), but I'm starting to think I'll just take the L crosstown instead as at least that's always cool. Then again I'd have to ride with hipsters... :eek:

MHV maintenance has always been decent about that, and you're right, people would freak out. You also want to impress the tourists, and a hot bus doesn't do that. Last time I rode a bus without a/c on 5th was an RTS M2 I got on in Harlem and had to ride all the way to 14th street. Not a nice time.

lol@hipsters... And yeah they've also been changing out the seats too. A lot cleaner of late thankfully.

Well I'm getting pissed because it's hot out and you're sitting there waiting for a bus and an M3 comes and then blows by the stop and then the B/Os signal to the next stop as if someone is going to go running 2-3 blocks in 90 degree heat with bags nonetheless. Today the M3 stopped and I asked the B/O if it was an official stop and he shrugged and said there is no bus stop located there, so I responded by saying that I would write in about it (which I did tonight), as the stop has been there "officially" for years before it was "suddenly" removed. :P

I can't imagine why that wouldn't be a stop considering that it is basically the Union Square stop for those lines and with all of the elderly folks that use those lines at that stop it's ridiculous not to have the M3 stop there, so I'll wait to see what the (MTA) says. If they claim it's an DOT issue or f*ck up then I'll take it up with them. I have wrote to them before about the crazy amount of potholes/craters on Staten Island and they do get back to you relatively quickly.

THE DOT could care less about ur lazy ass buddy WALK!!!!!!!!!! The buses have a schedule to keep and don't need to be bogged down with stops at every 2 blocks go to the gym and call it done.

I think the true M3 Union Square stop is on the South Side of the street, no? Ever since they change the University Route it's been screwed up, my guess is that when they switched to Astor Place and up they moved the stop to the south side instead of 15th street. That's all I can think of. Side note, it is awful out though, both of the D60HFs I rode today had no A/C and I was ready to kill myself going through Chinatown and then taking the M14 where it was hotter inside than out.

one of many reasons NOT to use buses in manhattan unless YOU HAVE NO OTHER WAY!!!!!! If you can walk it ur better off walking I really don't care about the lazy defence it won't work

THE DOT could care less about ur lazy ass buddy WALK!!!!!!!!!! The buses have a schedule to keep and don't need to be bogged down with stops at every 2 blocks go to the gym and call it done.

You have to consider that this is Manhattan: Nobody's riding a bus very far, so a low speed doesn't mean much.

If a stop is near a supermarket, you have to consider that it can be hard to walk a few blocks to the bus stop (coming from experience).

I would think it's not the later and simply the DOT forgetting it. In any event it's quite annoying, so I'm going to make a fuss about it so that it can be reinstalled where it belongs. The (MTA) isn't out to get the M3, but rather the M1. They already cut weekend service as it is and re-routed it from Park to Madison & 5th Aves.

I really doubt anyone will bother to throw a stink about a route that mimicks other lines. I think the expresses can be like a super LTD on 5th and madison but if they did that they will reduce the other rtes there for sure.

Are you hard of reading or what??? The stop has been there for years!!! I am not asking for a new stop to be put there, but for it to be officially reinstated!! Some drivers stop there and some don't and that is the point. It is clearly the DOT's fault for removing the stop and forgetting to replace it. With that said, you can take your comments and you know what you can do with them because I personally don't care what you think about the situation. For someone who is always talking about "rts", you certainly don't know much about them.

You have to consider that this is Manhattan: Nobody's riding a bus very far, so a low speed doesn't mean much.

If a stop is near a supermarket, you have to consider that it can be hard to walk a few blocks to the bus stop (coming from experience).

It's not only that, although that is certainly one reason, not to mention all of the elderly folks that get on at that stop. The real issue here is it was an official stop there before and everyone knows it. People wait at the stop for the M3 and some B/O's stop there and some don't, so to get rid of any confusion, the stop needs to be re-instated. One way or another that stop is going to be re-instated and if the DOT doesn't address the issue, then I'll write to NY1 for you and you'll see how fast that stop will be re-instated.

Are you hard of reading or what??? The stop has been there for years!!! I am not asking for a new stop to be put there, but for it to be officially reinstated!! Some drivers stop there and some don't and that is the point. It is clearly the DOT's fault for removing the stop and forgetting to replace it. With that said, you can take your comments and you know what you can do with them because I personally don't care what you think about the situation. For someone who is always talking about "rts", you certainly don't know much about them.

NOT that serious get over it. You do realize I don't talk about NYC manhattan routes right. Nor much about nyc ones in particular except the ones I know I favor high speed routes I dispise low speed

again WALK OR SUBWAY = DONE

Says who, you??? I'm done dealing with you. You clearly have no clue what you are talking about and I'm not going to waste my time replying to you after the next post below.

I really doubt anyone will bother to throw a stink about a route that mimicks other lines. I think the expresses can be like a super LTD on 5th and madison but if they did that they will reduce the other rtes there for sure.

Completely wrong. There are already limited stop buses on both 5th and Madison Avenues and the local buses certainly see heavy usage even with the limiteds.

NOT that serious get over it. You do realize I don't talk about NYC manhattan routes right. Nor much about nyc ones in particular except the ones I know I favor high speed routes I dispise low speed

Uh, yeah to me it is serious since I'm the one who uses the line, so no, I don't need to get over anything. If you don't know about them you should keep your mouth shut and stop talking about things that you have no clue about. That's like me talking about Long Island routes. I don't know much about them so I don't say much about them.

Uh, yeah to me it is serious since I'm the one who uses the line, so no, I don't need to get over anything. If you don't know about them you should keep your mouth shut and stop talking about things that you have no clue about. That's like me talking about Long Island routes. I don't know much about them so I don't say much about them.

err the LIB comment is valid I don't post much about specific rttes unless I know them completely

Archived