Testing for Metro North Conductor

ac1987

hi i received an invite for the conductor position and had a few Q's... first off what is the test like? ... and chance of moving from Metro North to LIRR being that i live in eastern long island? also what are the benefits like compare to other MTA agencies?

hi i received an invite for the conductor position and had a few Q's... first off what is the test like? ... and chance of moving from Metro North to LIRR being that i live in eastern long island? also what are the benefits like compare to other MTA agencies?

Congrats on getting the invite, I received mine today also.

From what I understand the test is divided into 4 parts or so. There will be a section on mechanical reasoning, reading comprehension, math and the often imitated, never duplicated Hogan Personality Test. The last is you have to answer true or false to about 200 different statements. The catch is, it's about 20 different statements in all worded about 10 different ways.

There is no lateral transfer from MNR to LIRR. Even though they are both "MTA", that is where the similarity ends. They are two totally different operations with totally different unions.

Benefits are good. You will get medical benefits the first day of the following month of hire. In other words should you start on Jan 1st, your benefits will start on Feb. 1st. Should you start on Jan. 31st, your benefits will still start Feb. 1st. Your vision and dental insurance starts one year later.

There medical is New York Health Insurance Plan (NYSHIP). You actually have a choice of the "EMPIRE Plan" and several different HMO's. A few I can think of are Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield, MVP and AETNA. Each plan has different employee contributions and different Co-Pays. Presently the EMPIRE Plan has no employee contribution but that is subject to change with the next contract.

Other benefits include vacation, sick days, holidays (keep in mind the trains don't stop running on holidays) and several different options of pension and retirement plans.

I can't compare these benefits to NYC Transit or LIRR as I don't know what they have.

Read the FAQ that is attached to the email. If you have any doubt about fulfilling the duties I recommend going no further. The extra board is not the easiest of assignments at you are on call as stated. You will basically have no life if you are on the extra board. Also starting out if you are fortunate enough to have a steady assignment there is no guarantee that you will have those hours, or days off, next week. You will be bumped often. Be prepared to miss birthdays, anniversaries, and Thanksgiving dinner (as well as Christmas, New Years, etc.) It is not an easy lifestyle to adjust to. My marriage has been tested numerous times in my last three years with MNR. In the end it is what it is. I'm not trying to scare you, just making you aware of the lifestyle that a railroader will have.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. Good luck.

Hey I wonder when I'll get mines as well. Hopefully I hear something soon.

I'm just speculating that if you didn't hear by now, you won't. There are 4 scheduled test sessions, all next week. The dead line to reply for testing is Monday.

Maybe check your junk email box to see if there's something there?

I'm just speculating that if you didn't hear by now, you won't. There are 4 scheduled test sessions, all next week. The dead line to reply for testing is Monday.

Oh I had no idea it was through email. Thought it was through snail mail.

Oh I had no idea it was through email. Thought it was through snail mail.

Oh well didn't hear anything in my email. I guess I won't be taking the exam. But why wouldn't they send everyone an invite that applied and meet the minimum requirements? Especially when im already part of the company and have five years as a S/A which is more than the minimum requirement for customer service Makes no sense. This is exactly why I prefer the civil service process much more fairer hiring pratices .

Because you don't know anyone Will. Probably why you did not get called. Don't feel bad though. My father was a conductor for 30 years and he too did not get an invite.

Man why do you force me to call you out on this?

A while back you admitted to NOT having a father for a conductor, that infact he worked for a well known firm.

A while back you admitted to NOT having a father for a conductor, that infact he worked for a well known firm.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that caught that. This is the exact reason why I don't take anything he writes at face value.

OK, still nada in my inbox or spam. Are you sure that the classes next week are all of them attached to this current round of MNRR hiring? I mean that they won't get to more resumes next week or something? I don't get their hiring policies either, I have 14 years of retail over 12 years in one job alone and no email, same with my ex. However, my friend applied and got the email, his father is a bus driver but my friend cannot hold down a job for the life of him.

OK, still nada in my inbox or spam. Are you sure that the classes next week are all of them attached to this current round of MNRR hiring? I mean that they won't get to more resumes next week or something? I don't get their hiring policies either, I have 14 years of retail over 12 years in one job alone and no email, same with my ex. However, my friend applied and got the email, his father is a bus driver but my friend cannot hold down a job for the life of him.

All honesty I think since they change the hiring procedure and sent everything to the MTA agency ,they probably use a first come first serve and a lottery system. This was what I was afraid of when MNRR and LIRR fell into that system. I don't think they have no more individual recruiters for each Railroad like they use to who actually read resumes and qualifications.After the test they probably weed out people from their scores and background checks then interviews.And after the physical ,whatever is left gets into that class.

All honesty I think since they change the hiring procedure and sent everything to the MTA agency ,they probably use a first come first serve and a lottery system. This was what I was afraid of when MNRR and LIRR fell into that system. I don't think they have no more individual recruiters for each Railroad like they use to who actually read resumes and qualifications.After the test they probably weed out people from their scores and background checks then interviews.And after the physical ,whatever is left gets into that class.

I don't know 100% what's with the new system but I do know this, Metro North does have their own recruiters. However, the get little to no information on the individuals they interview beforehand. I recently had an interview for another position and the BSC handled everything including the scheduling of my interview with the Metro North recruiter and interview participates (department supervisers, etc.). I had to provide a resume for those involved.

NYTech2000, I'm not sure of any other rounds or testing. All I know is there are four test sessions scheduled for next week. Beyond that your guess is as good as mine.

I don't know 100% what's with the new system but I do know this, Metro North does have their own recruiters. However, the get little to no information on the individuals they interview beforehand. I recently had an interview for another position and the BSC handled everything including the scheduling of my interview with the Metro North recruiter and interview participates (department supervisers, etc.). I had to provide a resume for those involved.

NYTech2000, I'm not sure of any other rounds or testing. All I know is there are four test sessions scheduled for next week. Beyond that your guess is as good as mine.

O.k . I stand corrected.:tup:

How do they choose who gets invited to the exam? Is it random? I can't see them reading the thousands of resumes they likely got for the condcutor position and deciding who should and should not take the test. If you ask me, the process is corrupt. Too bad they just don't let everyone who meets the minimum qualificatiosn take the exam. That would be more fair.

How do they choose who gets invited to the exam?

Once again, that is a question that only the MTA BSC (Business Service Center) can answer. That are a completely separate operation from MNR or LIRR but provides a certain level of human resource services for both MNR and LIRR.

If you ask me, the process is corrupt.

No one did.

Once again, that is a question that only the MTA BSC (Business Service Center) can answer. That are a completely separate operation from MNR or LIRR but provides a certain level of human resource services for both MNR and LIRR.

No one did.

LMAO:)

How do they choose who gets invited to the exam? Is it random? I can't see them reading the thousands of resumes they likely got for the condcutor position and deciding who should and should not take the test. If you ask me, the process is corrupt. Too bad they just don't let everyone who meets the minimum qualificatiosn take the exam. That would be more fair.

Yeah it would be more fair. But MNRR does not hire through the civil service process, so they can basically hire whatever way they like. Well good luck to all of those that got the invite for testing.

• 4 weeks later...
Because you don't know anyone Will. Probably why you did not get called. Don't feel bad though. My father was a conductor for 30 years and he too did not get an invite.

Lmao

Archived