Which attack was worse, Pearl Harbor or September 11?

R68 Subway Car

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09/08/quinnipiac-poll-on-911-anniversary-many-believe-nyc-will-be-attacked-again/

I was reading this article and the writer posted a thought provoking question at the end of the article. So I ask the NYCTF community this question, which attack was worse? Pearl Harbor or 9/11? Please debate this respectfully.

Guest lance25

I don't think one can really compare which one was worst as both attacks affected people differently. Sure, you can compare both incidents statistically, 2400 dead in Pearl Harbor compared to nearly 3000 on Sept. 11th, but none of that really matters when you add the human element.

It also depends on how close people were to either tragedy. Someone who lost their father in the Pearl Harbor attacks might feel that that was the worse of the two, while someone else who lost their loved ones at the World Trade Ctr would obviously think this was the worst. It's all subjective and mostly based on personal experiences. Things like that can't be compared adequately and I don't think we should try to.

I don't think one can really compare which one was worst as both attacks affected people differently. Sure, you can compare both incidents statistically, 2400 dead in Pearl Harbor compared to nearly 3000 on Sept. 11th, but none of that really matters when you add the human element.

It also depends on how close people were to either tragedy. Someone who lost their father in the Pearl Harbor attacks might feel that that was the worse of the two, while someone else who lost their loved ones at the World Trade Ctr would obviously think this was the worst. It's all subjective and mostly based on personal experiences. Things like that can't be compared adequately and I don't think we should try to.

Could not say any better myself. Plus another issue why 9/11 & Pearl Harbor are 'apples and oranges' is that they happened so many years apart. So basically unless you are 75 years old & older you won't be to fairly say which one is worse. Both events changed the USA forever.

America at that time was likely looking for any reason to enter the war because both Japan and Germany were dominating their neighbors and eventually they could've spread to America being the final piece left standing. I do believe that isolationism would've been preferred, but it would've been a matter of time till either Germany or Japan spread over the oceans to attack the US. So WW2 couldn't have been avoided.

9/11 otoh, yes there is Al Qaueda and the Taliban, but they are loosely tied 'organizations' with no main government to call home or infrastructure to attack. This is an enemy that is 'invisible', as in you can keep attacking the soldiers, but you still have to kill the leaders. And even still the followers are so warped they will still rally behind their cause.

Iraq was a mistake, Afghanistan should've been over once OBL was dead. Lybia is a mistake because we still don't know who the rebels are and those weapons ending up in the wrong hands....

Put it to you like this.Pearl harbor was an attack on our military whereas 9/11 was civilian.I would say Pearl Harbor only because that pushed into FRIGGIN WORLD WAR 2!!!

Although a true comparison is very hard emotionally I'd have to say Pearl Harbor was the worst in US history. Although a few American lives were lost prior to that date, mainly on convoy duty in the Atlantic Ocean, after that attack think how many casualties America suffered worldwide until VJ day in 1945. 9/11 and the "war on terror" will never (hopefully) cost us as much.

Apples and oranges aside....

Fact: 9/11 was the worst attack on US soil in history.

My opinion: You can't objectively compare the two, nor should we. It's just not right to do so. They were both tragic events that both shaped our way of life. Pearl Harbor was horrible, and our country suffered a great loss.

9/11 is much more sinister than that, and shows us that evil has no bounds. You can never compare anything to that day.

genocide or mass homicide

slavery or the holocaust

pearl harbor or 9/11

You can't get more insensitive than to sit there & wanna compare anything of that nature....

9/11 was worse.... nah anhh, pearl harbor was much worse...

Are you kiddin me.....

None of that is thought-provoking at all....

Archived