Transit Industry News & Current Events

East New York

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed. I'm very Happy for Nova, I never use to like them, but for some reason they are getting on my good side, I just can't explain it.

Too bad for MTS, but I don't think they are going to make it, IMHO. Its not like they gave Nova a run for their money, especially if CTA unanimously approved the purchase.

Nova got rid of Orion, and is now turning there focus on NFI, this is a dangerous bus company. Lmfao!

Indeed. I'm very Happy for Nova, I never use to like them, but for some reason they are getting on my good side, I just can't explain it.

Too bad for MTS, but I don't think they are going to make it, IMHO. Its not like they gave Nova a run for their money, especially if CTA unanimously approved the purchase.

Nova got rid of Orion, and is now turning there focus on NFI, this is a dangerous bus company. Lmfao!

New Flyer is the largest bus builder in America, and they're here to stay. As for the small guys like NABI, Designline, even MTS that's who Nova and NFI are going after, though NABI has some steady customers.

New Flyer is the largest bus builder in America, and they're here to stay. As for the small guys like NABI, Designline, even MTS that's who Nova and NFI are going after, though NABI has some steady customers.

NABI is safe for the next few years with orders firmly placed. MTS and Designline are the ones to look out for to see if they can make it in the marketplace.

DesignLine is the silent killer right now, they are following Nova's formula with being quiet in the beginning. They have a couple of orders under their belts and are in the process of securing several more. Every operator that has demo'd the ECOCoach loves it and it looks like Golden Gate Transit may be the next property to bite on it. The MTA has also shown interest in it as well. Do not sleep on DesignLine right now...

DesignLine is the silent killer right now, they are following Nova's formula with being quiet in the beginning. They have a couple of orders under their belts and are in the process of securing several more. Every operator that has demo'd the ECOCoach loves it and it looks like Golden Gate Transit may be the next property to bite on it. The MTA has also shown interest in it as well. Do not sleep on DesignLine right now...

I think if they can offer the Ecosaver in a traditional diesel form MAYBE they'd have a good chance. They plan on doing that?

I'm talking about the 40-foot transit Ecosaver. If they can make that bus without the shit hybrid system, then it could work for them.

Again all DesignLine products are available in traditional CNG and Diesel...always has been.

Jean-Pierre Baracat appointed new President of Nova Bus

Nova Bus is pleased to announce the appointment of Jean-Pierre Baracat as President of Nova Bus, effective immediately. He will report to Stefan Tilk, Senior Vice President, Volvo Bus and President, Americas.

He succeeds Gilles Dion, who will now take on a consulting role as Vice President and Executive Advisor, Partnership and Strategy for Volvo Bus Americas.

Mr. Baracat joined Nova Bus in 1994, taking on increasingly challenging management roles, the latest as Vice President, Business Development since 2004. Mr. Baracat holds a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and is a member of the Quebec Order of Engineers (OIQ).

"I am honored to be entrusted with this responsibility, and I thank Volvo Bus for their confidence," said Mr. Baracat. "After all these years, I am still passionate about my work. Public transit is a complex and fascinating field with a promising future, and I look forward to building on the company’s success and helping our team deliver value and service to our business partners and the industry," he added.

Gilles Dion, Vice President and Executive Advisor, Partnership and Strategy for Volvo Bus Americas

After nine years as head of Nova Bus and the recent award of major strategic U.S. and Canadian contracts, Mr. Dion will now take on the consulting role of Vice President and Executive Advisor, Partnership and Strategy for Volvo Bus Americas.

In making the announcement, Mr. Tilk said: "I would like to thank Gilles for his passion and dedication to Nova Bus and Volvo Bus. I am very pleased that we can continue to rely on his experience in a new role."

Mr. Tilk continued: "From the Volvo Group’s point of view, we foresee this new orientation as a strong commitment towards our strategic objectives that will bring new perspectives for the great opportunities ahead of Nova Bus for 2013 and beyond. Mr. Baracat is a seasoned executive, and I am confident that he will successfully lead the company in the next phases of its growth and development."

http://www.novabus.com/media/latest-news/jean-pierre-baracat-named-new-president-of-nova-bus.html

• 4 weeks later...

Nova Bus receives major order for hybrid buses from Quebec.

Volvo Buses’ North American subsidiary, Nova Bus, has received an order

for 475 hybrid buses from Quebec in Canada. This is the single largest

order for hybrid vehicles that the Volvo Group has ever signed to date.

The buses are scheduled for delivery beginning of 2014. The order also

encompasses an option for approximately 1200 vehicles.

Long-term cooperation

The customer, ATUQ, is a consortium consisting of the province’s nine transit authorities.

“This order underlines the strong relationship ATUQ and Nova Bus have

developed over the years,” said Jean-Pierre Baracat, President of Nova

Bus. “ATUQ has renewed its confidence in our company and vehicles once

again, and we are glad to continue to work together to further enhance

transit services in our communities.”

ATUQ is a longtime key customer of Nova Bus’, with their partnership stretching back to the seventies.

Environmentally optimised technology

Compared with conventional diesel-powered buses, the Nova LFS HEV offers

approximately 30% lower fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

In parallel with the continued enhancement of hybrid technology, Nova

Bus is working on the development of other environmentally optimised

solutions such as plug-in hybrids and all-electric buses.

“One important part of Nova Bus’ vision is to be a leader in green

efficiency and electro-mobility. We believe that lower-emissions buses

help meet urban challenges such as congestion and improve quality of

life,” says Stefan Tilk, President Business region Americas, Volvo

Buses.

NovaBus.com

• 1 month later...

A LFS CNG prototype was recently seen testing in Montreal. As far as I know the first demos are expected in May with Calgary Transit. Not sure if they would be built in Montreal or Plattsburgh?

They were adding a filling station at their Plattsburgh, NY plant, so maybe there.

A LFS CNG prototype was recently seen testing in Montreal. As far as I know the first demos are expected in May with Calgary Transit. Not sure if they would be built in Montreal or Plattsburgh?

The buses for Calgary will be built in Montreal. 

They were adding a filling station at their Plattsburgh, NY plant, so maybe there.

They are adding a filling station but for future builds after the Calgary, date unknown.

Interesting,could NICE order new CNG's from Nova

That is the hope, as well as other authorities.

Interesting,could NICE order new CNG's from Nova

Nova is probably going to bid for the next order of CNG buses needed by NICE, but so is New Flyer. Two great bus manufacturers, so its gonna be hard to tell who has the lead. I am hoping for New Flyer however, because I like their design a bit better than Nova and I'm also hoping for NICE to invest in a CNG artic order for routes that need them.

Nova is probably going to bid for the next order of CNG buses needed by NICE, but so is New Flyer. Two great bus manufacturers, so its gonna be hard to tell who has the lead. I am hoping for New Flyer however, because I like their design a bit better than Nova and I'm also hoping for NICE to invest in a CNG artic order for routes that need them.

I would expect all the players in the USA heavy bus market to bid, New Flyer, Nova, NABI and Gillig.

Nova is probably going to bid for the next order of CNG buses needed by NICE, but so is New Flyer. Two great bus manufacturers, so its gonna be hard to tell who has the lead. I am hoping for New Flyer however, because I like their design a bit better than Nova and I'm also hoping for NICE to invest in a CNG artic order for routes that need them.

A CNG Artic would either be an XN60 or NABI BRT.

I would expect all the players in the USA heavy bus market to bid, New Flyer, Nova, NABI and Gillig.

Yeah, no more NBQP restrictions so this is anyone's game. I just hope we don't end up with crap because of that.

• 1 month later...

Archived