2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

VG8 being fair in NBA the Lakers and Clippers 'share' the Staples Center with the NHL Kings. And closer to home to the Jets and Giants at the new Giants aka Metlife stadium? Also several NBA/NHL teams including the Knicks and Rangers. Why you would oppose it?

Simple... The arena is too small for hockey and it would have to be packed every night in order for the Islanders to maximize profit. The smaller the arena the lower the profits which could put the team right back in the same position in a new arena nonetheless... Not only that but with so many events already packed in as it is they would be hard pressed to get any real media attention & could be playing a lot for long stretches on the road, making it difficult to be competitive.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the stigma of the Islanders now, I don't see them ever being competitive. So even at 14,000 seats it should be more than enough till there's a larger base for the team. I don't think it is a good idea to give them a new arena in Nassau if the team still sucks. Brooklyn is a last ditch effort. The team either gets better and becomes deserving of a new arena of their own or they stick it out in Brooklyn as the team doesn't deserve a new arena. But no way does that team deserve tax payer dollars to fund a new stadium. How can Nassau justify that when they 'flipped off' the MTA leaving them NICE?

It's the stigma of the Islanders now, I don't see them ever being competitive. So even at 14,000 seats it should be more than enough till there's a larger base for the team. I don't think it is a good idea to give them a new arena in Nassau if the team still sucks. Brooklyn is a last ditch effort. The team either gets better and becomes deserving of a new arena of their own or they stick it out in Brooklyn as the team doesn't deserve a new arena. But no way does that team deserve tax payer dollars to fund a new stadium. How can Nassau justify that when they 'flipped off' the MTA leaving them NICE?

The team doesn't deserve a new arena?? That's a bit much... It's not about deserving... It's about NEEDING one if they plan on surviving in New York. The Islanders do provide plenty of jobs and provide income to small businesses in Nassau so if they left their impact would be felt. Maybe it shouldn't be with public tax dollars, but they've been playing that dump for years now. It's one of the oldest arenas in the NHL.

It is almost impossible for a team to actually compete financially with such a small arena. They depend on ticket sales and revenue generated from the suites and such and the smaller the arena is the fewer suites you have and the less money you can generate from ticket sales, so unless the owner is willing to keep throwing away his money, it would difficult to build a competitive team without constantly losing players to free agency.

But if there are the 'diehard' fans, then what would be the problem with Barclays? Are there 14,000 people a night at Nassau's arena? If anything until the team improves, then I don't see there being much over that number. Either way they have to get out of that old place. I don't see them raising the money for a team that has never been in the playoffs for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders leaves for some part of Canada and another team somewhere from the south was transplanted here.

But if there are the 'diehard' fans, then what would be the problem with Barclays? Are there 14,000 people a night at Nassau's arena? If anything until the team improves, then I don't see there being much over that number. Either way they have to get out of that old place. I don't see them raising the money for a team that has never been in the playoffs for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders leaves for some part of Canada and another team somewhere from the south was transplanted here.

True, but the thing is fans are not going to come out to watch a losing team no matter where they move to. The issue is finding a way to improve the team and in order to that, they need an arena that will suit their needs financially. The Barclay's arena could be a short term deal, but I don't see it working for the long term.

Hamilton, Ontario(1/2 way between Toronto and Buffalo)and Quebec City are the only major cities left in Canada that could support a NHL team.

In U.S. the Isles might do well(no not in the sunbelt again)in cities like Milwaukee, Portland, Org and my choice Seattle since they no longer have a NBA team.

Average Islanders attendance has been 12,670 so far this season, at 78% capacity. The only team less than that is Phoenix. You really think they're worried about a 14,500 seat arena vs. a 17,000 seat arena? They couldn't even fill Barclays right now.

Average Islanders attendance has been 12,670 so far this season, at 78% capacity. The only team less than that is Phoenix. You really think they're worried about a 14,500 seat arena vs. a 17,000 seat arena? They couldn't even fill Barclays right now.

That why IMO my guess is that if the Islanders stay in the NY area, Barclays is the only realstic location for them right now. Even taking into account the fact, it only holds almost 15,000 for hockey. The NY area is only big enough for '2' NHL teams. While it would be a shame if they had to leave and all the Stanley Cups won in the 1980's, unless LI bulids a 100% private with no taxpayer monies for them, the Isles will either be in Brooklyn by 2015 or out of the NY area with Wong selling them to a new ownership group say in Quebec City or Seattle. We shall see.:eek:

Yeah well 78% capacity for a team that is playing like crap isn't bad at all. If they were winning they would have a higher turnout.

Yeah well 78% capacity for a team that is playing like crap isn't bad at all. If they were winning they would have a higher turnout.

Yeah, well, the Toronto Maple Leafs completely debunk that argument. They have sucked for decades and yet they sell out. Every single night.

For them they have little else to root for other than the 4th place Blue Jays, or the Buffalo Bills. The Raptors, dunno how they are, but probably not as popular. Being Canada, hockey will always be big there.

Don't forget the Canada Football League Toronto Argos as well. The CFL has basically become a defacto triple-a minor league for the NFL. Despite this truth CFL officals and Tokemon will state it's their owne league but that for another discussion :eek: Many undrafted players play in CFL before going to the NFL. That only reason IMO Toronto does not have a NFL team.

With the Blue Jays, once they return to the playoffs the attendence at Rogers Center Skydome will pick up. Don't they will sell out every game during their world series years in 1992-'93, but the Jays can be a strong #2 team in Toronto when they are competing. Just too bad for Jays fans, they are in arguably one of the toughest divisions/conferences in all of sports the American League East.

Back to NHL. The US as a whole has too many teams especially in the southwest. If things continue to get worse, Phoenix should be the next club to leave either for say Hamilton, Quebec City, Seattle or even milwaukee.

I am surprised being in the upper midwest milwaukee never got an expansion or moved team even being close to both Chicago and Minneapolis.

Also Dallas is not doing great right now with a messy ownership situation and lower attendence. With that said since census trends state n next few decades Dallas area will become the 3rd or 4th region in North America. Not to mention quiet a high # of transplants from all over the US and even beyond internationally. So the NHL does needs a club in Texas.

We shall see what will happen with the Islanders.:eek:

Yeah, well, the Toronto Maple Leafs completely debunk that argument. They have sucked for decades and yet they sell out. Every single night.

Oh please... You're comparing a Canadian team to an American team... You know hockey is like a religion in Canada... Look at all of the Canadian teams for that matter and all of them get good attendance. Winnipeg isn't even in the playoffs and that place is sold out for the entire year. Furthermore, New York fans are more demanding. They're not going to throw their money away on a losing team. Maple Leaf and Canadian fans know that their teams are historical ones, even if they're losing and even if they don't make the playoffs, the expectations are that they'll be in the playoffs. I mean in the Canadian markets, the hockey clubs ARE the center of attention regardless of how the team is playing. Not the case in many American markets.

With the NHL regular season close to 2/3 over, so far the Detroit Red Wings and NY Rangers leading their conferences look like favorites to go deep in playoffs. Or in a 'dream matchup' for NBC their 'free tv' home in the US, both Motown and the Big Apple meeting up in the Cup Finals.

So any reason why the blueshirts have not gotten more attention even here in NYC? You figure after the Giants super bowl run was over, they would start to gain attention. Then for those of you who also follow the NBA, the Knicks newest star former unknown Jeremy Lin becoming an overnight senation.

My question to NHL hardcore fans like VG8 and Tokkemon when will the Rangers start to get more attention even in NYC?

With the NHL regular season close to 2/3 over, so far the Detroit Red Wings and NY Rangers leading their conferences look like favorites to go deep in playoffs. Or in a 'dream matchup' for NBC their 'free tv' home in the US, both Motown and the Big Apple meeting up in the Cup Finals.

So any reason why the blueshirts have not gotten more attention even here in NYC? You figure after the Giants super bowl run was over, they would start to gain attention. Then for those of you who also follow the NBA, the Knicks newest star former unknown Jeremy Lin becoming an overnight senation.

My question to NHL hardcore fans like VG8 and Tokkemon when will the Rangers start to get more attention even in NYC?

It's simple... The Rangers have die hard fans, but they're up against tough competition. The Knicks, Giants and Yankees are always the talk of the town and even if the Knicks are playing half @ssed, they'll still get more attention than the Rangers simply because basketball, football and baseball is seen as more "hip" and "in" with the old and young folks in this town.

It's simple... The Rangers have die hard fans, but they're up against tough competition. The Knicks, Giants and Yankees are always the talk of the town and even if the Knicks are playing half @ssed, they'll still get more attention than the Rangers simply because basketball, football and baseball is seen as more "hip" and "in" with the old and young folks in this town.

True. Still even the Yankees who have not even yet to start training camp got more publicity the last few days of their rumored trade of headcase AJ Bernett than the blue shirts. I know the Rangers at this point rank at best #4 or #5 (after of course the Yanks, Giants, Knicks and maybe the Jets)in popularity among NYC teams.

Only time in my lifetime the Rangers ever were the 'hip' or 'in' team in the metro area was during the 1994 Stanley Cup Title season. The drama was added was that they had not won the NHL championship since 1940. Plus Mark Messier the strong #2 star to Gretzy of the great Oiler teams of the 1980's was also on that Rangers team.

While championships can make stars out of almost anyone, the 2012 Rangers don't have a mega star like Messier or great supporting cast like Goalie Mike Richter(who should be in the NHL Hall of Fame), Adam Graves and others that can attarct attention. The closest is maybe Linquist.

True. Still even the Yankees who have not even yet to start training camp got more publicity the last few days of their rumored trade of headcase AJ Bernett than the blue shirts. I know the Rangers at this point rank at best #4 or #5 (after of course the Yanks, Giants, Knicks and maybe the Jets)in popularity among NYC teams.

Only time in my lifetime the Rangers ever were the 'hip' or 'in' team in the metro area was during the 1994 Stanley Cup Title season. The drama was added was that they had not won the NHL championship since 1940. Plus Mark Messier the strong #2 star to Gretzy of the great Oiler teams of the 1980's was also on that Rangers team.

While championships can make stars out of almost anyone, the 2012 Rangers don't have a mega star like Messier or great supporting cast like Goalie Mike Richter(who should be in the NHL Hall of Fame), Adam Graves and others that can attarct attention. The closest is maybe Linquist.

Actually they have Richards and Gaborik, but neither are outspoken like Messier was or even Graves. Quite frankly the Rangers still need more scoring up front. They don't give up much, but they don't score much either and that's with Richards and Gaborik producing. The Ducks actually have a small chance to try to get into the 8th slot so I doubt Perry or Ryan will be available. I think a guy like Carter could be a good fit at center if he can stay healthy. He's got that grit that they need but is also pretty skilled.

If the Rangers win the President's Trophy (they won't), I'll throw up.

You gotta admit though, they've been playing some pretty good hockey. They'd be stupid to trade for Nash though. I just don't think he's the right fit. They'd be smart to wait until next year and make a move for Parise. He fits well with their style of play.

This NHL update is presented by Subway."EAT FRESH."

Well last night 2-17-12 NHL History was made. The Red Wings set the all time NHL regular season mark for most non-tie wins at home. A game winning goal by Pavel Datsyuk scored the game winning with about 5 1/2 seconds left in regulation helped Motown beat Nashville 2-1.

It was the Wings 22 straight home victory. With this amazing streak they have slipped past the Rangers for #1 overall seed and leaders for the President Cup as regular season champions.

Why is the Wings success not gotten more attention on ESPN? Even with a possiblity of a Gary Bettman and NBC/Comcast dream of a Red Wing-Rangers or even Red Wing-Bruins Stanley Cup Final?

Archived