2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

lol... ESPN and the NHL... The ESPN could care less about the NHL... It's the NBA, the NFL and the MLB that ESPN cares about. Even college sports gets more attention than the NHL. They've decided to look to boost their ratings as much as possible and the NHL doesn't fit the crowd they're looking to attract. I don't even watch ESPN anymore...

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol... ESPN and the NHL... The ESPN could care less about the NHL... It's the NBA, the NFL and the MLB that ESPN cares about. Even college sports gets more attention than the NHL. They've decided to look to boost their ratings as much as possible and the NHL doesn't fit the crowd they're looking to attract. I don't even watch ESPN anymore...

VG8 you mainly only a diehard NHL fan so you don't have to watch espn. However caual NHL fans such as (B35)and myself who are also fans of other leagues i.e NBA, MLB, and NFL do watch ESPN to watch the other sports since they have a semi monopoly as the national sports channel for most other sports leagues and tennis/golf as well.

I only now watch ESPN for NBA playoff games, MLB and NFL games.

Being fair the best shows on ESPN are in no order, their "Mike and Mike" their morning sportstalk show, their excellent "30 for 30" Documentaries and Outside the Lines sportsnews magazine show. It's "Sportscenter' especially at night that now sucks.

On NBC sports net the former Versus, their coverage of NHL has greatly inproved since they became the cable tv home for the league after the 2004-'05 lockout from espn.

VG8 you mainly only a diehard NHL fan so you don't have to watch espn. However caual NHL fans such as (B35)and myself who are also fans of other leagues i.e NBA, MLB, and NFL do watch ESPN to watch the other sports since they have a semi monopoly as the national sports channel for most other sports leagues and tennis/golf as well.

I only now watch ESPN for NBA playoff games, MLB and NFL games.

Being fair the best shows on ESPN are in no order, their "Mike and Mike" their morning sportstalk show, their excellent "30 for 30" Documentaries and Outside the Lines sportsnews magazine show. It's "Sportscenter' especially at night that now sucks.

On NBC sports net the former Versus, their coverage of NHL has greatly inproved since they became the cable tv home for the league after the 2004-'05 lockout from espn.

Well that's another thing... NBC is looking to grow... ESPN is already "in" so to speak so they're not interested in helping sports like the NHL to grow.

I am sure our NHL superfans VG8 and Tokkemon will enjoy this recent edition(2/18/12)of Don Cherry's "Coaches Corner" segment on Hockey Nights in Canada discussing "enforcers."

Please pay close attention to around the 4:00 minute of this video link. Cherry on the 'enforcers' comment then sneaks in a prediction in which he states *barring injuries* the Rangers & Bruins(NHL East Finals) and Cancuks & Red Wings (NHL West Finals) will make met in the Stanley Cup semifinals. He then explains that all '4' teams are the best in the NHL not only because they 'tough' but all '4' have good goalies and could score.

Please reply after watching this?

Actually, he didn't really talk about the goaltending on the teams, even though all 4 teams have solid goaltending currently. He mentioned really that the Canucks, the Rangers and the Bruins had tough teams. While the Red Wings aren't fighters, they can fight when they need to. The Wings are unique because they can play a physical game when they need to but they prefer to beat you on the scoresheet. I mean they've got Bertuzzi who can be nasty and Holstrom can be a b*tch to play against as well. He does have a point though. Teams that aren't nasty enough and big enough tend to get pushed around, especially in the playoffs when games become more physical. It was very evident with the Avalanche played the Sharks a few years ago. They got pushed around badly because they had a very small team, especially on "D" and now you look at them and they've got some giants back on the blue line and O'Byrne can be a real physical force, along with McLeod and a few others on the blue line.

Well after having one of their best starts in their 80-plus year history the Rangers have lost their 3rd game in a row. They drop last night (2/24/12)game to the Isles. Link is below. So question remains does the blueshirts and team President/General Manager Glen Sather pull trigger to get Rick Nash the Blue Jackets best offensive player?

Also the gap between them and current east division #2 seed the Bruins getting closer. Should the Rangers go out and try to remain on goal to get home-ice aka game #7 until the Stanley Cup semi-finals? After the blueshirts leading for a while, it looks the Red Wings are starting to run away from the pack and will likely win the President Cup as NHL 2012's regular season champions. reactions?

NY Rangers overcome two separate two-goal deficits, but NY Islanders net two shootout goals to down Blueshirts - NY Daily News

This 2012 NHL trade deadline update is presented by Geico. Well there was 1 last 'huge' last minute trade in the NHL that could greatly improve the Cancuks chances to win the Stanley Cup. Vanc. had traded one of the league's highly regarded players Cody Hodgson to Buffalo for semi 'tough guy' Zack Kassian.

Read more: Earthquake deal: Canucks trade Cody Hodgson for Sabres' Zack Kassian - NHL - Sporting News

Ugh... Not a big deal quite frankly... The real mess is in Columbus where the GM had a press conference yesterday stating that it was Rick Nash that came to management requesting a trade. I was surprised that A) he asked for the trade and :P that the GM had a press conference and stated such information. I don't see how they don't trade him in the offseason. The guy doesn't want to be there and the GM has let the fans and everyone else in the league know that. A real bomb if you ask me. Some analysts say that the situation can only be toxic with the GM throwing Nash under the bus and I agree.

Columbus is in such shambles anyway.

I initially didn't like the Hodgeson trade but it make sense in the long run. Hodgeson is very good and very skillful, but we got enough of that. We need more grit, which is what we got. :)

Not only that they (among the '4' major sports leagues here in north america)now ranked by both ESPN and Sports Illustarted among the worst run pro clubs in NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL.

It's a wonder they still drawing descent numbers since they been in the league about 10-11 years now and made the playoffs at most 1-2x. I guess it helps being the only pro team in Columbus, Ohio the home also to Ohio State University one of the largest colleges in the US.

Here a segment from Hockey Night in Canada's Coaches Corner segment. Commentator/Analyst Don Cherry stating some controversial comments about why he thinks the Toronto Maple Leafs have failed to make the playoffs over last couple of years. Their US-Born Team General Manager having no Ontario-born players (Canada's most populated provience)on the team. Watch the clip. Await VG8 and Tokemon's reply.

Here a segment from Hockey Night in Canada's Coaches Corner segment. Commentator/Analyst Don Cherry stating some controversial comments about why he thinks the Toronto Maple Leafs have failed to make the playoffs over last couple of years. Their US-Born Team General Manager having no Ontario-born players (Canada's most populated provience)on the team. Watch the clip. Await VG8 and Tokemon's reply.

Meanwhile the Rangers continue their march towards the 2012 Regular season Eastern Division championship beating the Bruins today. So it looks great for Blueshirts.:(

• 2 weeks later...

This NHL update is presented by Wendy's.;) Well with just less than a month to start of the playoffs, Rangers have hit their first slump of the season. Tonight at MSG, in a return of all-world player Sidney Crosby they lose to the Peguins 5-2. As a Ranger fan, if the standings hold up, I am now more worried about playing the Pens with a 'healthy' Crosby in the 2nd round(NHL East semis)than playing the Bruins say in the NHL East Finals. Reactions?

Crosby will be in and out. One more hit and he'll be right back on the Injury List.

In Vancouver, many people are distraught at the amounts of outright losses lately. We just lost to Phoenix and Montreal. Columbus is next. If Columbus beats us, someone's gotta push the panic button.

The main reason is the Sedin line is not producing, like, at all.

Crosby will be in and out. One more hit and he'll be right back on the Injury List.

In Vancouver, many people are distraught at the amounts of outright losses lately. We just lost to Phoenix and Montreal. Columbus is next. If Columbus beats us, someone's gotta push the panic button.

The main reason is the Sedin line is not producing, like, at all.

Sorry to be blunt but gotta be honest. (1) more bad 'hit' and Crosby's carrer could be in serious jeopardy.:eek:

Crosby realizes that he has to change the way he plays. I saw the highlights on SportsNet during the Calgary vs. Phoenix game and he's not putting himself in vulnerable positions. He's getting rid of the puck quicker. The guy sees the game well enough that if he plays the way he played last night he'll be okay, but he's got to be smart or otherwise one more hit can put him out.

This Hockey Night update is presented by Tim Horton. The offical donuts of Canada and Donut fans everywhere lol.

Well with just 3 weeks left in the regular season, the playoff race in pro hockey is getting very intresting. The Rangers tonight on St. Patty's Night 2012 lost to the Avalanche 3-1. While the red-hot Pens beat the Devils earlier in the day to close the Rangers lead in the Eastern Conference.

Meanwhile the '2' biggest surprises in the league this season, the Ottawa Senators and St Louis Blues have surged to top of their divisions. The Sens in a tight race with the Bruins for the #2 seed in the East via winning the NE Conference. While the Blues in a huge shocker is on top of the Western Conference(also their Central Division)over Stanley Cup Favorites the Blackhawks, Canucks and Red Wings.

As a casual NHL fan, maybe because of the Rangers success so far, I am been following the regular season reguarly for maybe one of the few times in my life. Good season in NHL so far. Reactions?:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

While the Rangers are now 'this close' to winning the NHL East regular season title for first time since their Stanley Cup year in 1994, another NHL club one of the most historic and famous on the planet will likely finish in last place. As result the Montreal Canadiens have canned their GM and Head Coach Today 3/29/12. Also rumors are flying that the Habs are looking at their 1980's/early '90's era NHL Hall of Fame Goalie Patrick Roy to take over as GM.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...e-gauthier.html

While the Rangers are now 'this close' to winning the NHL East regular season title for first time since their Stanley Cup year in 1994, another NHL club one of the most historic and famous on the planet will likely finish in last place. As result the Montreal Canadiens have canned their GM and Head Coach Today 3/29/12. Also rumors are flying that the Habs are looking at their 1980's/early '90's NHL Hall of Fame Goalie Patrick Roy to take over as GM.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...e-gauthier.html

I am very glad Gauthier is gone, finally something might happen and the era of secracey might end. Just a correction to your post, they only fired Gauthier and his advisor/lapdog Gainey, Cunneyworth is still the head coach for the time being.

Congrats to the NY Rangers. By tonight beating the Flyers(4/3/12) they have offically won the 2012 NHL East Regular Season Title and #1 seed thru at least the Cup Semifinals(NHL East Finals). The Blue shirts also still have an outside chance to clinch the president cup as well.

http://www.nhl.com/i...m?id=2011021192

They still have work to do---and the season finale could determine their first-round opponent, when the Rangers play the Caps. (Washington is 8th, a first tiebreaker ahead of Buffalo.)

^^ If it gets down to that point....

for all I care, they can tank that game to play washington in the 1st round.....

Even though I'm a rangers fan, a philly/pittsburgh 1st round matchup I just might watch all the games of... especially if they'll have the same level of intensity like that of this past sunday's game.....

^^ If it gets down to that point....

for all I care, they can tank that game to play washington in the 1st round.....

Even though I'm a rangers fan, a philly/pittsburgh 1st round matchup I just might watch all the games of... especially if they'll have the same level of intensity like that of this past sunday's game.....

Bro I am sure NBC and NBC sports Net(aka fomerly Versus)along w/ Hockey Night in Canada might make this possible Pens/Flyers 1st round match-up their 'showcase' series since it involved their current biggest star Sidney Crosby. :D

Archived