2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

Oh, so Now the NHL wants to hand out suspensions...... Some consistency huh....

Anyway, yeah I saw most of that kings game... like 2 minutes after I changed the channel, the kings scored..... kings had all those PP chances & couldn't score.... Vancouver taking stupid penalties..... Seemed like no one wanted to win the game.... It had the feel like it was goin be a double OT game ending 1-0 (that's why I ended up turning it).....

The Phiily/Pittsburgh game yesterday brung a smile to my face; another 8 goal performance.... Funny thing is, I can't stand the Flyers.... But these sore losing ass Penguins I despise even more now... Good job by the Flyers in exposing this team; I've watched every game so far this series & in every single one of them, the Pens defense (not just the defensemen) have been absolutely lackluster.... I hope the Flyers close it out w/ a 10-0 win at home & knock all the teeth out Sidney Crosby's mouth in the process to top it off......

The Devils series I aint watching, and I didn't see any of the Red Wings/Nashville game yesterday....

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I will continue to "argue" that point.....

Whatever Zetterberg did, did not constitute the deliberate mashing of his head onto the glass.... and that is what I think.

Really? Well it was a cheap head shot if I recall correctly. That's why Weber went for his head to get even. If someone hits you in the head, I'm sure you'd want to get back at them too. He actually restrained himself a bit because that mashing could've been far worse.

Really? Well it was a cheap head shot if I recall correctly. That's why Weber went for his head to get even. If someone hits you in the head, I'm sure you'd want to get back at them too. He actually restrained himself a bit because that mashing could've been far worse.

Of course I would retaliate.... I'm not saying Weber should have done nothing, come on now......

Anyway, I haven't heard any news (or any other) medium yet bring up what Zetterburg did to Weber....

If it was anywhere near the level of barbarism of Weber's retaliation, for starters, the NHL network & ESPN would still be bringing it up....

He (Weber) should be thanking his lucky stars he's not missing playoff time....

Of course I would retaliate.... I'm not saying Weber should have done nothing, come on now......

Anyway, I haven't heard any news (or any other) medium yet bring up what Zetterburg did to Weber....

If it was anywhere near the level of barbarism of Weber's retaliation, for starters, the NHL network & ESPN would still be bringing it up....

He (Weber) should be thanking his lucky stars he's not missing playoff time....

Well yeah, but you see most networks don't show what Zetterberg did... They only show what Weber did. I've only seen the entire clip shown maybe once if that on the NHL Network, so from that perspective Weber looks like the aggressor and Zetterberg looks like the innocent victim. lol Naturally Weber overreacted, but he had to, otherwise other teams may try similar cheap shots, so yeah he went overboard but that's part of the game. I originally thought he would be suspended one game at the most since Zetterberg instigated it, but yeah he was lucky he wasn't suspended.

I like Zetterberg, but he can be a little sneaky at times. I wouldn't say he's in the Crosby territory but he's a sneaky one.

Here are Don Cherry's comments on the issue...

http://www.mlive.com...enrik_zett.html

Look at the clip around the 05:30 mark to see the cheap shot by Zetterberg.

Well yeah, but you see most networks don't show what Zetterberg did... They only show what Weber did. I've only seen the entire clip shown maybe once if that on the NHL Network, so from that perspective Weber looks like the aggressor and Zetterberg looks like the innocent victim. lol Naturally Weber overreacted, but he had to, otherwise other teams may try similar cheap shots, so yeah he went overboard but that's part of the game. I originally thought he would be suspended one game at the most since Zetterberg instigated it, but yeah he was lucky he wasn't suspended.

I like Zetterberg, but he can be a little sneaky at times. I wouldn't say he's in the Crosby territory but he's a sneaky one.

Here are Don Cherry's comments on the issue...

http://www.mlive.com...enrik_zett.html

Look at the clip around the 05:30 mark to see the cheap shot by Zetterberg.

Thanks for the clip.... Ok, so now I see it was a cheap shot to the back of his Weber's hamstring... that's a 2 minute minor at best; I can't come to grips to saying that should even be a double minor..... but No way is that deserving of a suspension to Zetterberg...

Even if a man that's of Weber's size having the potential to do far more damage if he really wanted to, doesn't excuse his overreaction (not saying you're saying that, but I'm still making the point)...... Weber's overreaction to that should have landed him a one game suspension.... Nothing more.... Those that are talking about suspending him for the series is just as much an overreaction as what Weber did in the first place......

Thanks for the clip.... Ok, so now I see it was a cheap shot to the back of his Weber's hamstring... that's a 2 minute minor at best; I can't come to grips to saying that should even be a double minor..... but No way is that deserving of a suspension to Zetterberg...

Even if a man that's of Weber's size having the potential to do far more damage if he really wanted to, doesn't excuse his overreaction (not saying you're saying that, but I'm still making the point)...... Weber's overreaction to that should have landed him a one game suspension.... Nothing more.... Those that are talking about suspending him for the series is just as much an overreaction as what Weber did in the first place......

You have to understand why Weber overreacted though... He was out earlier this year from a concussion, so naturally he's going to be sensitive to any sort of head shots.

So guys with all of the physically fights and near brawls in this years playoff a question guys? Is old school fighting from the 1970's/'80's making a comeback? And oh yes this is the most memorable brawl ever, a 1981 NY Rangers/LA Kings(before east/west realignment)lol.

Doubt it. The NHL has cracked down very hard on third-man inteference over the past few years. They want to keep the fighting, but they want it to be clean and without the end-of-game violence that once plagued the NHL.

The fighting between the Penguins and Flyers and Senators and Rangers are nothing more than blips. Both series have been fierce and competitive. If it were in the regular season, chances are emotions won't be so high now and patience won't be as thin.

-

As for Pittsburgh's Arron Asham and James Neal, both are likely to be in big trouble with Brendan Shanahan. Asham's cross-check to Sheen's throat could've ended his career; and Neal's elbow to Claude Giroux's head could've shelved him for more games because of concussions. Giroux already missed some time for this reason.

Doubt it. The NHL has cracked down very hard on third-man inteference over the past few years. They want to keep the fighting, but they want it to be clean and without the end-of-game violence that once plagued the NHL.

The fighting between the Penguins and Flyers and Senators and Rangers are nothing more than blips. Both series have been fierce and competitive. If it were in the regular season, chances are emotions won't be so high now and patience won't be as thin.

-

As for Pittsburgh's Arron Asham and James Neal, both are likely to be in big trouble with Brendan Shanahan. Asham's cross-check to Sheen's throat could've ended his career; and Neal's elbow to Claude Giroux's head could've shelved him for more games because of concussions. Giroux already missed some time for this reason.

Well I am sure Gary Bettman and his NHL Owners are very happy. After the 1st week of the '12 NHL playoffs, the games have been the highest rated overall in a decade. Plus the Pen/Flyers game #3 near brawls, was the most NHL game in US(not counting the Cup Finals or Winter Classic)in 12 years.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/16/nhl-stanley-cup-playoff-overnight-ratings-up-50-on-nbc/129345/

Meanwhile listening to Francesa on WFAN and much of the show was about Ranger fans b_tching and moaning on the 3-game suspension of Hagelin and how Weber was not given a suspension at all.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ny-rangers-perplexed-brendan-shanahan-three-game-suspension-carl-hagelin-article-1.1062518

Soon as I came in, I went straight to sleep.... just saw the end of the bruins game.... lol @ the capitals losing due to an own goal, late....

So the rangers won, good to hear...

Meanwhile listening to Francesa on WFAN and much of the show was about Ranger fans b_tching and moaning on the 3-game suspension of Hagelin and how Weber was not given a suspension at all.

I'm telling you now.... the more multiple game suspensions that'll be handed out in these playoffs, the more you're gonna hear about his non-suspension.....

As for Hagelin himself, what he did was very much deserving a suspension......

wait a second....

Hockey talk on fat boy's show.... hell must have froze over....

Soon as I came in, I went straight to sleep.... just saw the end of the bruins game.... lol @ the capitals losing due to an own goal, late....

So the rangers won, good to hear...

I'm telling you now.... the more multiple game suspensions that'll be handed out in these playoffs, the more you're gonna hear about his non-suspension.....

As for Hagelin himself, what he did was very much deserving a suspension......

wait a second....

Hockey talk on fat boy's show.... hell must have froze over....

(B35)from 3pm onwards going home listening on the car and watching later on YES most of the callers on Francesa wanted to talk hockey. It probably not since around '07-'08 when the Rangers lost to Buffalo in NHL East Semis, during the "Mike and Mad Dog" days has he devoted most of his show to the NHL.

Even ESPN tonight(4/16/12) on their evening (pre sportscenter)with "PTI" and "Around the Horn" spent much of their shows w/ Sidney Crosby and the NHL Playoffs as a whole. Seriously it might have been the 1st time those shows, gave the NHL this much attention since ESPN lost the TV contract to NBC.

With tv ratings up 50-75% over the 1st round of the '11 Stanley Cup, people are buzzing about it.

(B35)from 3pm onwards going home listening on the car and watching later on YES most of the callers on Francesa wanted to talk hockey. It probably not since around '07-'08 when the Rangers lost to Buffalo in NHL East Semis, during the "Mike and Mad Dog" days has he devoted most of his show to the NHL.

Even ESPN tonight(4/16/12) on their evening (pre sportscenter)with "PTI" and "Around the Horn" spent much of their shows w/ Sidney Crosby and the NHL Playoffs as a whole. Seriously it might have been the 1st time those shows, gave the NHL this much attention since ESPN lost the TV contract to NBC.

With tv ratings up 50-75% over the 1st round of the '11 Stanley Cup, people are buzzing about it.

Well there is nothing else to really watch now anyway... Baseball... BORING... Between all of the dudes on steroids and the scandals and the old dudes on the field in their 40s I don't know what's worse. Baseball needs some new fresh young stars. NBA... BORING... I miss the old days... That's when guys played with more respect and left their game on the court, but that's another issue...

We could always be tortured with college football and basketball I suppose... <_<

Well there is nothing else to really watch now anyway... Baseball... BORING... Between all of the dudes on steroids and the scandals and the old dudes on the field in their 40s I don't know what's worse. Baseball needs some new fresh young stars. NBA... BORING... I miss the old days... That's when guys played with more respect and left their game on the court, but that's another issue...

We could always be tortured with college football and basketball I suppose... <_<

VG8 being VG8. While i agree steriods was a huge problem in MLB a decade ago,(ditto for the NFL but for some reason the media igorned that fact)10 years ago, the problem has decreased. VG8 i like hockey but i could point out many of the problems it has itself i.e goons with fighting, lack of minorities in hockey, tickets that are among the most expensive in pro sports, etc. It's these comments why some of the boards don't like you and think of you as an 'elist.' Plus steriods was a huge problem in almost every sport from track and field, to gymnatics, etc. NHL has been lucky it was not that widespread.

Lets not turn this into hockey is better than any sport crap. I grew up in 1980's (when all of the sports was on either Ch. 9 and 11 in NYC area i.e Yankee/Met/Knick/Rangers/Islanders games)and enjoyed almost all of them). If you dislike MLB that your choice VG8, but dont insult those who like other sports.

And MLB is getting some new stars i.e Jeff Kemp with Dodgers, etc. So lets not go there.

VG8 being VG8. While i agree steriods was a huge problem in MLB(ditto for the NFL but for some reason the media igorned that fact)the problem has decreased. VG8 i like hockey but i could point out many of the problems it has itself i.e goons with fighting, lack of minorities in hockey, tickets that are among the most expensive in pro sports, etc. It's these comments why some of the boards don't like you and think of you as an 'elist.'

Lets not turn this into hockey is better than any sport crap. I grew up in 1980's when all of the sports was on either Ch. 9 and 11 in NYC area and enjoyed almost all of them). If you dislike MLB that your choice but dont insult those who like other sports.

And MLB is getting some new stars i.e Jeff Kemp with Dodgers, etc. So lets not go there.

I didn't say that. I said some sports have become boring, which is the truth and certainly the strikes and scandals haven't helped certain sports. The end result is that other sports have benefited from these events. As usual you're reading way more into things. If you didn't want me to bring it up then you shouldn't have brought up the ratings topic. Simple as that. I think I'm entitled to my reasons as to why I think the ratings have increased. If not then I won't bother posting in this thread any further, that's all, so let's not go there about this elitist nonsense.

As for your comments about a lack of accessibility, that is a bunch of crappola. The game is more accessible than ever now. If folks want to watch it they'll find a way to do so, which they are clearly doing.

I didn't say that. I said some sports have become boring, which is the truth and certainly the strikes and scandals haven't helped certain sports. The end result is that other sports have benefited from these events. As usual you're reading way more into things. If you didn't want me to bring it up then you shouldn't have brought up the ratings topic. Simple as that. I think I'm entitled to my reasons as to why I think the ratings have increased. If not then I won't bother posting in this thread any further, that's all, so let's not go there about this elitist nonsense.

VG8 i brought the ratings to defend how great the Stanley Cup Playoffs are.(maybe the best post season in all of sports IMO.) The NHL has many crtitcs as ESPN and other US based analysts/sports talk show hosts always disses them since they lost the tv contract to NBC. All i am saying you make great point about the NHL but i think the comments about baseball(every sport league has it problems/corruption)was little out of line. It's cool VG8 if you only like the NHL and dislike other sports but the way you commented on it was out of line this is a hockey thread.

At this point, I agree i will only comment on the game/on the ice action and hope if you want to continue comment on the threads you do the same.

VG8 i brought the ratings to defend how great the Stanley Cup Playoffs are.(maybe the best post season in all of sports IMO.) The NHL has many crtitcs as ESPN and other US based analysts/sports talk show hosts always disses them since they lost the tv contract to NBC. All i am saying you make great point about the NHL but i think the comments about baseball(every sport league has it problems/corruption)was little out of line. It's cool VG8 if you only like the NHL and dislike other sports but the way you commented on it was out of line this is a hockey thread.

At this point, I agree i will only comment on the game/on the ice action and hope if you want to continue comment on the threads you do the same.

There is nothing out of line about my comments about the MLB. I've watched the sport since I was a kid and I provided stats to prove my points in my response to your e-mail, so it's the truth. You may not like the truth but that's what it is. You talk about the NHL not being accessible, but the NHL is more accessible now than it has ever been, hence the higher ratings. You've got folks in Europe watching games here in States at all hours of the night. Outside of a few areas, I don't think you can say the same about the MLB. The perfect example is the plummeting enrollment of youngsters into little leagues, which has decreased by THOUSANDS over the years. Now, back to the topic at hand... The NHL is in great shape right now and hopefully the players and the owners can work out any disputes that I've been hearing about lately and avoid a possible strike in the near future.

One huge suspension. Andrew Shaw's suspended for thee games for his headshot on Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith.

As I watched this live on TV, I'm not surprised by the the length of the suspension at all. It was a cheap, dirty hit that had no purpose on the ice.

Penguins's Aaron Asham's likely the next person to be suspended for three games at least. His cross-check was disgusting and had no business in hockey.

There is nothing out of line about my comments about the MLB. I've watched the sport since I was a kid and I provided stats to prove my points in my response to your e-mail, so it's the truth. You may not like the truth but that's what it is. You talk about the NHL not being accessible, but the NHL is more accessible now than it has ever been, hence the higher ratings. You've got folks in Europe watching games here in States at all hours of the night. Outside of a few areas, I don't think you can say the same about the MLB. The perfect example is the plummeting enrollment of youngsters into little leagues, which has decreased by THOUSANDS over the years. Now, back to the topic at hand... The NHL is in great shape right now and hopefully the players and the owners can work out any disputes that I've been hearing about lately and avoid a possible strike in the near future.

Lets see! A soldout 2-games in Tokyo, Japan between two so-so clubs to start the 2012 MLB in the A's and Mariners. Record number of youngesters worldwide(in Latin America, Asia and now Europe playing minors(outside of the US). And after soccer, basketball and rugby the 4th most played sport in the world. And it took the NHL 3 years to get TV ratings back to levels before the cancelled 2004-'05 season.

Again why the hate for any other sport not hockey VG8? I like hockey too but to you admit, it never be the top sport in the US. Plus when i was growing up, i would play street hockey (garbage cans with a ball on roller skates lol)in addition to american football, basketball and baseball/softball.

Man i am glad i am not growing in VG8 age. If he does not want to comment on the NHL again that fine but i had to lay facts to him as well. Now back to the NHL chat.

Back to the on the ice from last night(4/17). In another OT thriller(I had to go to bed so i missed it)Phoenix beat the Hawks to take 2 games to one lead. While the Caps beat the Bruins and get back in that series 2 games to one. And finally Nashville wins to take commanding 3 games to one lead over the Wings.

For tonight Rangers plays the Sens, the Pens/Flyers continue their pa. 'civil war' and the heavily favorites at start of the playoffs to win it all the Canucks to climb back from mega 0-3 games hole in LA.

I am sure if Cancuks lose tonight lol, Tokemon will be crying like a 5 year old lol.

This Stanley Cup update presented by Subway. East Fresh. Rangers just lost in OT to sens. Their 1st round series tied at 2 games apeice. I am not surprised Ottawa would cause problems for the Blueshirts and their worst matchup. If Rangers were playing the Caps or even Buffalo, they would have won the series by now IMO.

While in Philly, the Pens blow out the Flyers to get on the series win column. However Flyers still lead 3 games to one.

And underway(as of this writing)the Kings looking to pull a shocking upset of the 2012 NHL regular season winners, the Cancucks.

lol @ how the penguins actually scored 10....

lol @ as soon as I turn the channel back to the rangers game (after having seen derek jeter hit that HR in the 9th), I see the Senators celebrating.... smh.....

Anyway, there will be no sweeps in the 1st round... Pens & Canucks stay alive.... 3-1 win over the kings....

Archived