2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

well it's too late for me to post my predictions.... but all I'm gonna say right now is....

- lmao @ the prissy penguins... htf you blow a 3 goal lead & lose in the 1st game.... and lose 8-5 in the 2nd against the flyers?

- As for vancouver, not that I care much about them, but now they're down 2-0 in the series......

- Devils/Panthers is probably the most boring series in this year's playoffs..... not goin watch a game of that series....

- Why Shea Weber hasn't been suspended is beyond me... the idea of continually slamming someone's head in the glass & getting away w/ only a $2500 fine.... smh.... Anyway, well at least Zetterburg is straight, and the Wings tied that series up.....

Man if the Rangers/Cancuks make the Cup Finals, this would be the most fun ever on the NYCTF boards lol.

Not so much for the city of Vancouver though.... the last thing that city can ill afford is another riot.....

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so much for the city of Vancouver though.... the last thing that city can ill afford is another riot.....

Bro(B35)riot what riot lol? The Cancuks and Luongo if they don't wake up asap vs. LA, they will be out of the playoffs. Also to start that comeback IMO the Van. coach 'bench' Luongo in favor of unknown Cory Schinder*which IMO he should). Luongo is very similar to Ron Hextall a brilliant HOF-Type goalie at times(winning 2012 Olympics for Canada) that also has these amazing meltdowns. Of the '2' suprises Pens and Cancuks down, I know Tokemon will hate me for saying this. I am more confident in Pittsburgh coming back.

Regarding the Pens the NHL and NBC is very lucky, that this year the Rangers are a serious threat and could make the finals making for great ratings. Still early but we shall see.

Shortline, just to correct your assumptions:

Schneider is no unknown, he's absolutely lights out on the ice. To have a backup that reliable is amazing. Last I checked he was fourth in the entire league in save percentage. So he's certainly a worthy contender. Second, the losses were not Luongo's doing, they were the special teams battles falling apart.

Schneider is no unknown, he's absolutely lights out on the ice. To have a backup that reliable is amazing. Last I checked he was fourth in the entire league in save percentage. So he's certainly a worthy contender. Second, the losses were not Luongo's doing, they were the special teams battles falling apart.

As a casual NHL fan Tokemon like myself, Scneider is not that known to many people compared to Luongo . Second in the 2nd game, Luongo gave up 4 goals. So my friend Tokemon fair or not, the Goalie like a NFL Quaterback gets more or less of the credit. Luongo had played excellent in game # (1). I was more talking about the 2nd game. Hope it clears it up.

- Devils/Panthers is probably the most boring series in this year's playoffs..... not goin watch a game of that series....

- Why Shea Weber hasn't been suspended is beyond me... the idea of continually slamming someone's head in the glass & getting away w/ only a $2500 fine.... smh.... Anyway, well at least Zetterburg is straight, and the Wings tied that series up.....

Yeah, Devils vs Panthers... I don't even bother with... Have watched some of every series except for that one and the Bruins vs Caps...

As for why Shea Weber wasn't suspended, suspensions are granted based on a number of factors by Brendan Shanahan...

-History of the player involved... Shea Weber to my knowledge doesn't have a history of trying to give guys shots to the head or purposely injure guys.

-Zetterberg instigated the incident by taking a rather cheap shot at Weber, hence Weber's reaction. I thought he may be suspended for one game as well because I thought he started it, but that wasn't the case.

-Zetterberg didn't apper to be injured during the play, hence another reason he wasn't suspended. He did however receive a fine of $2,500 (the maximum given in these circumstances) for his conduct, so in sum he was indeed warned about the play, even though Zetterberg instigated it.

The incident was settled on the ice anyway the following game, so that should be all straight now. I don't see any bad blood continuing from that.

Exactly... In fact Schneider could easily be another team's #1 goaltender. I'm sure Columbus would love to have him over the overpaid Mason... :lol:

As a casual NHL fan Tokemon like myself, Scneider is not that known to many people compared to Luongo . Second in the 2nd game, Luongo gave up 4 goals. So my friend Tokemon fair or not, the Goalie like a NFL Quaterback gets more or less of the credit. Luongo had played excellent in game # (1). I was more talking about the 2nd game. Hope it clears it up.

Even as a casual fan, Schneider is well known... In fact this year he and Luongo have had stretches where they switch off of each other and play several games at a time, so their set up is similar to the one Minnesota has years back with Bäckström and Fernández. Sooner or later they'll either have to get rid of Luongo or Schneider. He's going to command a high salary eventually and there are plenty of teams eager to have a goalie in net like him so the time for the Canucks to win is now. With the salary cap restrictions, unless they can get guys to sign for less that team will have to broken up to a degree, similar to what happened with the Blackhawks after they won the cup. I suspect if they don't win soon, they'll be forced to make changes anyway.

Oh man. The Sens beat the Rangers last night in OT 3-2. (4/14/12) Ottawa has now tied their 1st round series at 1 game apiece. Game #3 and #4 are played in Canada's Captial City. I did not see the game so guys did the Rangers 'blew' this game?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ny-rangers-lose-overtime-ottawa-senators-3-2-chris-neil-stunning-goal-henrik-lundqvist-loses-stick-final-play-article-1.1061809

I didn't see any of the games yesterday, as I wasn't home for most the day.....

As far as the Brendan Shanahan's decision & Weber's BS.....

As for why Shea Weber wasn't suspended, suspensions are granted based on a number of factors by Brendan Shanahan...

.....The incident was settled on the ice anyway the following game, so that should be all straight now. I don't see any bad blood continuing from that.

Shanahan reminds me of Curt Schilling (although not as bad with what I'm about to mention) - one of these guys that puts themselves on a high horse now that they're not active (players) anymore..... Yeah he (Shanahan) was a goal scorer, but he was one of those guys that'd be up there in PIM as well, so he should know what's up....

As for Weber, I can't stand the guy just as much I can't stand Chara..... Both get way more than their fare share of props if you ask me..... Bertuzzi didn't do enough in that game 2 to Weber if you ask me, regardless if Zetterberg basically walked away unscathed from what resembled roid rage that day on the ice......

Well busy day for the NHL playoffs. 4 games today highlighted by the 'showcase' series, the Pred-Wings in Motown and Philly vs. Crobsy's Pens. Then the nightcap the Devils in South. Fla. vs. the Panthers(IMO quick rant the Panthers should really be called "South Florida Panthers" in a suburu of Miami and avoid confusion w/ Tampa)and the biggest shocker so far of the playoffs the LA Kings having chance to take 3-0 series lead on the Cancuks.

The panthers really shouldn't exist... but that's another topic.....

Hate to say but I agree that Miami/South Fla. should not have a full time NHL team. Tampa is the only place in Fla. that should have a NHL team. It also helps that the Lighting won the Stanley Cup in 2004.

Only reason the Panthers (unlike the Isles in Metro NYC for instance who are struggling)are still near South Beach is for '2' reasons. One for television purposes, as having a pro club in Miami is now a must for any of the '4' North American major sports leagues. There a reason Bud Selig and the MLB owners went out of their way to make sure the Marlins got their new ballpark. That for the MLB rant though.

Second the Panthers own the buliding (not sharing it w/ the Miami Heat like they did until 2000)they play in. Not to mention unlike Charles Wang the Cats also have a steady deep pocketed ownership group.

Back to on the ice action. Preds lead in Detroit in game #3 at time i wrote this.

Anyone watching the Pens/Flyers game? Talk about old school hockey i.e 1970's Broad Street Bullies days. Pens are having a meltdown. At end of 1st in #3 in a high scoring game it's 4-2 Philly.

While earlier in day, Nashville beats Motown 3-2 and leads the Wings 2 games to one.

I didn't see any of the games yesterday, as I wasn't home for most the day.....

As far as the Brendan Shanahan's decision & Weber's BS.....

Shanahan reminds me of Curt Schilling (although not as bad with what I'm about to mention) - one of these guys that puts themselves on a high horse now that they're not active (players) anymore..... Yeah he (Shanahan) was a goal scorer, but he was one of those guys that'd be up there in PIM as well, so he should know what's up....

As for Weber, I can't stand the guy just as much I can't stand Chara..... Both get way more than their fare share of props if you ask me..... Bertuzzi didn't do enough in that game 2 to Weber if you ask me, regardless if Zetterberg basically walked away unscathed from what resembled roid rage that day on the ice......

lol.. Well both of them are BIG and they have a great presence on the ice, not to mention big shots and a big presence in the offensive zone, so they are both big pieces to their respective teams. As I said before, the retaliation from Weber was from the cheap shot in the corner that Zetterberg gave Weber, which started the whole thing.

As for Shanahan, yes, he was a tough guy to play against, but the game is in a different era these days. The NHL wants the game to be more open, with more scoring, but yet still good defense and they want fights, but they want to get rid of the dirty stuff because too many guys are getting injured, especially with concussions. The overall consensus is that the GMs are happy with Shanahan overall and his response to incidents. Keep in mind that Shanahan makes the calls but if the GMs make a stink about the penalties that he's giving then he would have to change his stance a bit. Part of the harsh fines and penalties are from the GMs' input. They have a lot of money invested in their stars and they don't want them injured.

The panthers really shouldn't exist... but that's another topic.....

lol.... Well as long as the NHL can keep hockey in the Southern part of the US they're going to try to because they want to grow the game in other markets, hence the reason for the expansion South in the first place. I see the Panthers getting better as long as their owners have deep pockets. The Predators, Coyotes and Stars were all on shaky ground for a while in terms of ownership or relocating. The Stars have a new owner who seems to have deep pockets, and the Predators are winning, but still a small market team so they need to remain competitive to remain in Nashville. The Coyotes are still being helped by the NHL since the club has lost a ton of money since moving to their current arena, so hockey in the South is not all that stable.

Anyone watching the Pens/Flyers game? Talk about old school hockey i.e 1970's Broad Street Bullies days. Pens are having a meltdown. At end of 1st in #3 in a high scoring game it's 4-2 Philly.

While earlier in day, Nashville beats Motown 3-2 and leads the Wings 2 games to one.

The Penguins's meltdown has only increased. There has been a ton of fighting and ejections as a result of the last three-plus minutes. Penguins's Adams got ejected for Fighting and Instigating.

Speaking of which, the Flyers win, 8-4.

lol.... Well as long as the NHL can keep hockey in the Southern part of the US they're going to try to because they want to grow the game in other markets, hence the reason for the expansion South in the first place. I see the Panthers getting better as long as their owners have deep pockets. The Predators, Coyotes and Stars were all on shaky ground for a while in terms of ownership or relocating. The Stars have a new owner who seems to have deep pockets, and the Predators are winning, but still a small market team so they need to remain competitive to remain in Nashville. The Coyotes are still being helped by the NHL since the club has lost a ton of money since moving to their current arena, so hockey in the South is not all that stable.

Two of the three teams you mentioned will likely go nowhere, and that's Dallas and Nashville.

The Stars have had an excellent history since moving from Minnesota, including a Stanley Cup in 1999. In addition to its high payroll and sturdy fanbase, it's going nowhere. Of all the southern NHL teams, it's the strongest one.

As for the Predators, they just got a new owner who promises to keep the team in Nashville. So far, the fanbase is small, but it's steadily growing, particularly with the team winning and the rest of the NHL keeping an eye on them.

Phoenix is the only one who's in serious jeopardy of relocating. They almost jumped ship last season, and the NHL is having a very difficult time finding a steady buyer. It's only a matter of time before they move to another city, maybe Quebec, for they're preparing to build an NHL-quality arena. In fact, I'd be shocked if they don't move after this season or the one after.

The Penguins's meltdown has only increased. There has been a ton of fighting and ejections as a result of the last three-plus minutes. Penguins's Adams got ejected for Fighting and Instigating.

Speaking of which, the Flyers win, 8-4.

Two of the three teams you mentioned will likely go nowhere, and that's Dallas and Nashville.

The Stars have had an excellent history since moving from Minnesota, including a Stanley Cup in 1999. In addition to its high payroll and sturdy fanbase, it's going nowhere. Of all the southern NHL teams, it's the strongest one.

As for the Predators, they just got a new owner who promises to keep the team in Nashville. So far, the fanbase is small, but it's steadily growing, particularly with the team winning and the rest of the NHL keeping an eye on them.

Phoenix is the only one who's in serious jeopardy of relocating. They almost jumped ship last season, and the NHL is having a very difficult time finding a steady buyer. It's only a matter of time before they move to another city, maybe Quebec, for they're preparing to build an NHL-quality arena. In fact, I'd be shocked if they don't move after this season or the one after.

Dallas is only staying because they recently got a new owner. They were on the verge of possibly relocating not that long ago and their payroll is certainly not that high. The purse strings will probably open at some point, but Joe Nieuwendyk hasn't had the luxury of having an open check. If he did they would've resigned Brad Richards.

Dallas is only staying because they recently got a new owner. They were on the verge of possibly relocating not that long ago and their payroll is certainly not that high. The purse strings will probably open at some point, but Joe Nieuwendyk hasn't had the luxury of having an open check. If he did they would've resigned Brad Richards.

Just like Miami/South Fla. Dallas and entire state of Texas is a must have major market in the US and thus why there will be always be a hockey team there. I don't think they were close to moving but their previous owner Tom Hicks(also owned the Baseball texas rangers)bankrupt both teams.

Unlike South Fla.(the few NHL fans are mainly old time Rangers, Bruins, Wings, Blackhawks and Flyers fans)Dallas has much more younger transplants from the east coast and midwest who are more 'open' to switching and becoming Stars fans. If the NHL had put a team in say 1975 instead of 1992(relocated from Minnesota), it would have failed. Winning the Stanley Cup in 1999 and making several trips to the NHL West Finals at the turn of the century is reason Dallas is a stable club and will be fine as long as their new owner has deep pockets.

As far as Nashville, it maybe the smallest city/market in the US to have a NHL club. However with The Trashers gone from Atlanta, the Preds could become the main NHL club from entire Southeast region of the country drawing from Ky., Alabama, and even Georgia. Granted Nashville is middle of " NFL/College Football and NASCAR nation" but as the only hockey team in Tenn. they should be ok provided they get a winning product on the field.

Back to on the ice action. Assuming the Penguins dont come back, it will be similar to 2004 Lakers (with Kobe Bryant)in Pittsburgh with the team 'rebuliding" a new supporting cast/goalie for Sidney Crosby.

Just like Miami/South Fla. Dallas and entire state of Texas is a must have major market in the US and thus why there will be always be a hockey team there. I don't think they were close to moving but their previous owner Tom Hicks(also owned the Baseball texas rangers)bankrupt both teams.

Unlike South Fla.(the few NHL fans are mainly old time Rangers, Bruins, Wings, Blackhawks and Flyers fans)Dallas has much more younger transplants from the east coast and midwest who are more 'open' to switching and becoming Stars fans. If the NHL had put a team in say 1975 instead of 1992(relocated from Minnesota), it would have failed. Winning the Stanley Cup in 1999 and making several trips to the NHL West Finals at the turn of the century is reason Dallas is a stable club and will be fine as long as their new owner has deep pockets.

As far as Nashville, it maybe the smallest city/market in the US to have a NHL club. However with The Trashers gone from Atlanta, the Preds could become the main NHL club from entire Southeast region of the country drawing from Ky., Alabama, and even Georgia. Granted Nashville is middle of " NFL/College Football and NASCAR nation" but as the only hockey team in Tenn. they should be ok provided they get a winning product on the field.

Back to on the ice action. Assuming the Penguins dont come back, it will be similar to 2004 Lakers (with Kobe Bryant)in Pittsburgh with the team 'rebuliding" a new supporting cast/goalie for Sidney Crosby.

Why would the Penguins be "rebuilding"??? :huh: They've got 4 solid lines to throw on the ice at any time.

Maybe the 'r' word(rebulid)is maybe a drastic word for the Pens? However to posssibly lose in the 1st round (with the healthiest Crosby) has been since they won the Stanley Cup in '09, at very the least a retool is needed. On paper Pittsburgh is the among top 2-3 teams in the league so some accountability IMO is warranted.

Maybe the 'r' word(rebulid)is maybe a drastic word for the Pens? However to posssibly lose in the 1st round (with the healthiest Crosby) has been since they won the Stanley Cup in '09, at very the least a retool is needed. On paper Pittsburgh is the among top 2-3 teams in the league so some accountability IMO is warranted.

I don't think they need a re-tool either. They have been to the Stanley Cup twice in the last few years, so they know what they're doing. They're just not playing to their potential. If anything a change at the head coach position would occur and I don't see that happening either. The boys in the front office (i.e. Lemieux) would be looking for improvements next year though.

Archived