Poverty on the rise in NYC; Staten Island only borough w/median income growth

Via Garibaldi 8

hey bens deli....i've been down the food stamp route ,i've been down the welfare route and i've never forgot where i came from .

I have a heart for those who are poor and i'm not happy at all that this thread is up so let me explain something to you and i want your full attention on this....your an a**holee who needs to get whipped punched smacked up to realize that you need to stay in your lane and buddy this is way on the off ramp so shut the hell up about things that need no addressing and this is one of them .

Ps...this is coming from a person that has more in life and who makes more then you so go find a chick and go to the park or something cuz your pissing the wrong people off .....and you will be put in your place ,...you got my word

THIS is the motherf__king truth!!! Preach KR! Preach!!!

1) Well yeah no question about that...

2) Oh whatever... ;) I didn't publish the article... You need to relax. We're in a recession and it is interesting to see how the recession is affecting some for the better and some for the worse. I don't see anything offensive about talking about poverty.

1) By the way, did you see the second part of the post? As you know, I'm notorious for adding onto my posts. :(

2) Well I don't think it really affected any communities overall for the better. I mean, you might have people who were able to time the market right and whatnot, but overall, the median income went down.

In any case, it's just food for discussion. It's not like the article was something about all poor people mooching off of everybody else or anything else offensive to poor people.

And I don't see a need for it to be labeled as spam or anything. If it's spam, the mods will close it. Need I remind everybody that this is the "Off Topic Lounge"?

I found the thread I was talking about:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/1294758-nycha-houses.html

The most interesting part of the discussion is on page 2.

lmfao at upper port richmond....

there may be bodies in the kill van kill, but they aint living ones.... LOL

I don't see how you can tolerate that forum....

I'd end up like Tony Romo (cracked ribs) if I posted &/or frequented there, from laughing so damn hard....

...and the "is ________ safe" type of threads run rampant over there...

if you disagree w/ anything a mod says or does, may the gods have mercy on you.... can't stand forums like that....

lmfao at upper port richmond....

there may be bodies in the kill van kill, but they aint living ones.... LOL

I don't see how you can tolerate that forum....

I'd end up like Tony Romo (cracked ribs) if I posted &/or frequented there, from laughing so damn hard....

...and the "is ________ safe" type of threads run rampant over there...

if you disagree w/ anything a mod says or does, may the gods have mercy on you.... can't stand forums like that....

By "Upper Port Richmond", they mean southern Port Richmond. Via Garibaldi thinks the same way (he lives "above" Forest Avenue when he lives south of it). I guess it's "Upper" because it's better than the other side of Forest Avenue. It doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever.

Some of the posts there are just plain stupid, but a lot of them do make sense (to me at least). But on the LI forum, there are a ton of people who are blatently racist and/or elitist, and for some of the posts they make, I catch whiplash from SMH so much.

The thing about those "Is it safe" threads is that you see the same areas over and over again (at least in the NYC forum). Washington Heights, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, etc. It's like, just go over to that area and if you don't feel safe, don't move there.

As far as the mods go, it varies based on the specific mod. Many are reasonable, but I'm sure there are a few who are real jerks.

By "Upper Port Richmond", they mean southern Port Richmond. Via Garibaldi thinks the same way (he lives "above" Forest Avenue when he lives south of it). I guess it's "Upper" because it's better than the other side of Forest Avenue. It doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever.

That's because that's how us folks in West Brighton refer to it. I'm actually on the border right near Forest Avenue near Elizabeth. The first two blocks below Forest Avenue are fine (i.e. Myrtle Avenue and Delafield Avenue), but anything after that, forget it. Leave it for the dogs. :eek:

The thing about those "Is it safe" threads is that you see the same areas over and over again (at least in the NYC forum). Washington Heights, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, etc. It's like, just go over to that area and if you don't feel safe, don't move there.

LOL... Why would they go there to begin with if they're not sure if they'll feel safe? Those areas are well know for drugs, gang violence and shootings, so I don't blame them.

LOL... Why would they go there to begin with if they're not sure if they'll feel safe? Those areas are well know for drugs, gang violence and shootings, so I don't blame them.

If they don't feel safe then they should move to an lost island then lol.

Anyway seriously this is New york city anything can happen even in the safeties of neighborhoods.

1) That's because that's how us folks in West Brighton refer to it. I'm actually on the border right near Forest Avenue near Elizabeth. The first two blocks below Forest Avenue are fine (i.e. Myrtle Avenue and Delafield Avenue), but anything after that, forget it. Leave it for the dogs. :eek:

2) LOL... Why would they go there to begin with if they're not sure if they'll feel safe? Those areas are well know for drugs, gang violence and shootings, so I don't blame them.

1) I know that. That's why "Upper Port Richmond" is the southern section by Forest Avenue.

And while you do see a difference north and south of Delafield Avenue, I'd say it's still reasonably fine up until at least Cary Avenue. I've walked down Broadway coming from the S44 and never had any problems.

2) That's my point. If you go to the area and you don't feel safe, chances are it's not safe (at least by your standards). It all depends on the person.

For instance, if you were a person new to NYC and asked me about Mariners' Harbor, I'd say it's fine east of Harbor Road and south of the train tracks (and I'd name a few blocks that are the exception). And then you'd go thinking "Oh, he said it's fine", and you'd be uncomfortable.

But my point was that it's not too hard to do a search on earlier threads regarding safety. If you're moving to Washington Heights, look up threads on Washington Heights and a bunch will come up, so why bother making a new one?

if you cant stand the heat of the city, come out to the suburbs where its quieter and safer.

That's not necessarily true. I mean, with gentrification going on, a lot of the riff-raff that used to live in the inner-city is spreading out to the suburbs, though for the most part, a "bad" neighborhood in the suburbs is nowhere near as bad as a bad neighborhood in the inner-city.

with all the talk about how staten island is like valhalla itself, im saying theres greener pastures to the east of the city :)

It is Valhalla itself. :)

In terms of wealth, though, LI has more areas that are considered wealthy out here in SI. Here, we only have a few areas with mansions (Todt Hill, Lighthouse Hill, Emerson Hill, and a few other areas here and there), whereas there are probably more areas like that in LI.

1) I know that. That's why "Upper Port Richmond" is the southern section by Forest Avenue.

And while you do see a difference north and south of Delafield Avenue, I'd say it's still reasonably fine up until at least Cary Avenue. I've walked down Broadway coming from the S44 and never had any problems.

Yeah I did that once years ago too when I was using the S48. The S48 was MIA and they announced it at the terminal, so I scrambled around and asked the S44 driver where he went and he got me "near" Forest Avenue, but still well north of it, so I had folks looking at me like what in the hell was I doing riding that bus. I had never been that far north of Forest Avenue so I knew some parts along the S44 lines must've been a real sh*t hole. I got off at Broadway and hauled ass up to Forest Avenue. All I can say is never again. :eek:

2) But my point was that it's not too hard to do a search on earlier threads regarding safety. If you're moving to Washington Heights, look up threads on Washington Heights and a bunch will come up, so why bother making a new one?

Yeah, but the thing is that neighborhoods don't stay the same forever and some areas are actually being gentrified.

P.S. I see you have a lot of points... :)

I have a feeling that this will be a rough winter for many. Just you wait.

You're right about that. Imagine if last year's weather repeated. Been a lot of precipitation this year. If it continues through the coldest months they'll be finding a lot of bodies.

That's not necessarily true. I mean, with gentrification going on, a lot of the riff-raff that used to live in the inner-city is spreading out to the suburbs, though for the most part, a "bad" neighborhood in the suburbs is nowhere near as bad as a bad neighborhood in the inner-city.

I remember years ago someone on subchat posting a cartoon about the city-suburb 'rings'. As in the poor would gradually be pushed out to the outer rings with the rich/affluent crowds from the outer most edges moving right into the heart of the city. That perfectly sums up what's going on. It doesn't surprise me the crimes are starting to go up in parts of Queens and Nassau with the western parts of Brooklyn being gentrified.

Then of course 'rich' folks are easy targets by the thugs waiting around for easy prey.

Yeah I did that once years ago too when I was using the S48. The S48 was MIA and they announced it at the terminal, so I scrambled around and asked the S44 driver where he went and he got me "near" Forest Avenue, but still well north of it, so I had folks looking at me like what in the hell was I doing riding that bus. I had never been that far north of Forest Avenue so I knew some parts along the S44 lines must've been a real sh*t hole. I got off at Broadway and hauled ass up to Forest Avenue. All I can say is never again. :eek:

Yeah, but the thing is that neighborhoods don't stay the same forever and some areas are actually being gentrified.

P.S. I see you have a lot of points... :(

Yeah, you told us that story before, and I like I said, I only ever had one problem there: I wanted to save a few blocks of walking and waited for the S53, and there was a guy begging for food from passerby (both on foot and in their cars). I mean, he didn't bother me after I said I didn't have any money (I wish I had brought a piece of fruit, since I felt bad for the guy), but whatever.

And my point is that there are a million threads about those neighborhoods. They could just say "The Washington Heights thread" and "The Bushwick thread" instead of having a bunch of threads. I know they're being gentrified (and have the stats to prove it. ;) ), but it's not going to kill somebody to look around the forums.

As for the last comment, that's the advantage of going to school in Port Richmond. Not only is it the closest (public) high school to home, but it's easier to do a bit of exploring on my way home.

But yeah, back on topic, it's funny how people are barely making median income in this city anymore

That's always been the case. Every city has a wide range of incomes.

I remember years ago someone on subchat posting a cartoon about the city-suburb 'rings'. As in the poor would gradually be pushed out to the outer rings with the rich/affluent crowds from the outer most edges moving right into the heart of the city. That perfectly sums up what's going on. It doesn't surprise me the crimes are starting to go up in parts of Queens and Nassau with the western parts of Brooklyn being gentrified.

Then of course 'rich' folks are easy targets by the thugs waiting around for easy prey.

Can you find the cartoon? I think it would be interesting to see.

And since there are still rough areas bordering gentrified areas (or within the gentrified areas), I'm sure some of those yuppies are still getting robbed.

Archived