Holiday train ideas

R36 Preservation

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with anyone about the "mission" of this site but these sorts of threads are counter productive in my opinion. I don't care who agrees with me or not, but it's the same tired, already debated and debunked ideas getting brought up time and again, and I'm just stating a fact - a lot of people here don't like that.

Do as you wish...far from being a "crybaby" as you call it, I am merely publicly expressing an opinion a lot of people here hold privately.

I learned how to take piss way before you ever did so I'm not worried about that. What I do worry about is this "transit elitist" attitude towards users who don't know. Sure some threads annoy the hell out of me too, but I can't just go around closing peoples threads because the "transit elitist" are annoyed. It doesn't work like that and it never will. I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that.

I'll tell you something else, these transit elitist aren't starting any interesting topics either. They just wait in the bushes for a so-called silly thread to pop up so they can then jump in and take a giant shit on it. And there's a lot of that going on here. I'm going to put a stop to that.

I learned how to take piss way before you ever did so I'm not worried about that. What I do worry about is this "transit elitist" attitude towards users who don't know. Sure some threads annoy the hell out of me too, but I can't just go around closing peoples threads because the "transit elitist" are annoyed. It doesn't work like that and it never will. I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that.

I'll tell you something else, these transit elitist aren't starting any interesting topics either. They just wait in the bushes for a so-called silly thread to pop up so they can then jump in and take a giant shit on it. And there's a lot of that going on here. I'm going to put a stop to that.

One of purposes of a forum like this is to gain knowledge. As you said not everyone here is in the system or is a pro. I think the forum is good overall and I have certainly learned quite a bit since I joined as just your everyday passenger.

One of purposes of a forum like this is to gain knowledge. As you said not everyone here is in the system or is a pro. I think the forum is good overall and I have certainly learned quite a bit since I joined as just your everyday passenger.

Right!

Not all of us know everything about the system and why they do things the way they are done in many cases.

Right!

Not all of us know everything about the system and why they do things the way they are done in many cases.

I understand that not everyones knows everything about the system and how things are done, but even after the reasons have been given, wh do people still suggest things that just don't work? Ask all the questions you want, but when a real answer is given,accept it.

First of all, no one here is an "elitist" so the name calling is off base. I've spoken out repeatedly on the topic that I think younger people on here should be given a "free pass" to make stupid posts with no consequences for a while as long as they make an effort to learn. I don't jump down people's throats when they post dumb things...rather I sit down and give them logical, often lengthy, non condescending reasons why their ideas don't work. As a matter of fact I only get confrontational on here AT ALL when people refuse to quit after not only myself but numerous other people show why their ideas are wrong and they continue to post them all over this site in multiple threads, including repeating the same ideas in CLOSED threads in new ones when the old threads were probably closed for a reason.

How many dupilcate threads of the type I mentioned in my last post have gone on here? Hell you've even closed some of the threads yourself I'd imagine (or one of the other administrators has) so why when the exact same discussion gets brought up and the same argument comes up is it suddenly forum-worthy again?

On the contrary, there are plenty of good threads here with interesting topics and civil discussions but they are buried quickly. Thread comparing NTT announcements, thread about the R142A that was spotted on the 7, thread about the Weekender, thread about the water main break, "topographical vs geographical"...just browsing the first page now I see plenty of good ones.

But there's also plenty of speculative "future" threads. There's an R62A when the R188's arrive thread. I remember a couple years back when there was one thread for the R179/R188 and other ones were automatically closed. Sure enough the R142A/R188 discussion is stickied at top.

In my opinion, there is too much repeat clutter and it drowns out the good threads. That's all, take it or leave it...

I mod another forum (unrelated to transit), and we had this same exact argument in there years ago. It really got ugly, between the veterans who knew just about everything about a topic and an influx of people who posted stuff and wouldn't just sit down like a "student" and listen/learn like the forum was a big virtual classroom? And they wanted me to close all their stuff too. Only thing I ended up doing was combining similar stuff (didn't close anything except outright hurtful flame wars that clearly went above and beyond), but its a network of free speech on here - although how stupid and boring the speech may be. :)

Not everyone knows someone in supervision or management (or in RCC) to tell them credible rumors about the future and the present or the way things work underground, then at times go parade around here like they themselves were the source of the info or knew the knowledge beforehand.

Not everyone knows someone in supervision or management (or in RCC) to tell them credible rumors about the future and the present or the way things work underground, then at times go parade around here like they themselves were the source of the info or knew the knowledge beforehand.

Maybe it would just be better to say nothing at all and let the misinformation flow freely.... You try and do something nice and people sh*t all over you.

Maybe it would just be better to say nothing at all and let the misinformation flow freely.... You try and do something nice and people sh*t all over you.

Pretty much just ignoring them is best thing to do,you'll do yourself favor by not dealing with some of these posters who don't know what they're talking or

are just creating useless threads or pointless comments.

I mod another forum (unrelated to transit), and we had this same exact argument in there years ago. It really got ugly, between the veterans who knew just about everything about a topic and an influx of people who posted stuff and wouldn't just sit down like a "student" and listen/learn like the forum was a big virtual classroom? And they wanted me to close all their stuff too. Only thing I ended up doing was combining similar stuff (didn't close anything except outright hurtful flame wars that clearly went above and beyond), but its a network of free speech on here - although how stupid and boring the speech may be. :)

Actually there are a lot of things I don't know. But when I don't know things, I don't post about them...I read the thread topics and try to learn. I don't sit there and guess and try to pass off my beliefs as facts.

There's a difference between new people genuinely wanting to learn things, and people who haven't got a clue posting the same tired ideas in multiple threads over and over and over.

You're right it's a network of free speech. No one wants threads to be closed just because a certain person is in it...but when a person refuses to accept an explanation and argues about it pressing on with their fantasy agenda, that is counterproductive to intelligent discussion of a thread.

Believe me I'd love to explain the entire start to finish process of scheduling a nostalgia train, or a holiday train, explain some of the roles of people involved, what must be considered, and how things actually get done...because maybe some of the people here who actually do read and learn things would understand it better, and understand why the ridiculous ideas proposed in this thread are so...ridiculous. But that is also inside confidential MTA information, and it cannot be leaked to the public...so I, and INDman, and anyone else who understands what's going on settle for explaining things as best we can within those constraints. With certain myopic people, it's not easy.

And if you want to talk about creating a place full of information, a bunch of never-or-occasionally-moderated people who refuse to take no for an answer for fantasy suggestions doesn't help anyone on this site learn anything in my opinion. How many times has the redbirds on a trip issue been brought up? It's the exact same response every time and some people (the SAME people) refuse to take no for an answer and keep bringing the issue up over and over and over and over. I think there's a fine line between free speech and totalitarian moderator rule, and that's what I'm suggesting this site needs more of. Tenaciously beating on the wall with the same agenda in multiple threads is counterproductive.

No one's saying this is a "classroom" - as a matter of fact, if you want to talk opinion threads, the "best local" and "best express" threads actually went over fairly well. But when a thread devolves into a person with a dumb idea putting their fingers in their ears and basically going "LALALALALALA I WON'T LISTEN...(posts entire idea again as an 'explanation')" repeatedly, something ought to be done.

As far as OOS cars go, we took R44s that were on the scrap heap at Pitkin down the road (in training) when the rumors (which were credible if they modified our training to fit them in) hit the fan that they might appear on the (C). They operated just fine from an operational perspective. I would like if they ever really took some 44 or 46 rehab the entire consist so it looked original when they first came out and had it down there, I mean even though they had rollsigns before the luminators it was TA's first attempt at technology.

And oh BTW, not everyone has that "research first" mentality that trends toward looking up any question they have online (not just here but elsewhere, and not just transit related, but with anything). Many just go right out and post on whatever forum venue that they're on

Archived