Future Articulated & MCI Buses

SirJokaPlaya

Now, we know what's going on with NJT and the need for Artics in South Jersey as 553 have documented. With that comes a question. Eventually, the Artics at Hilton, Big Tree, and Fairview will have to be replaced. And there is no way in hell that NJT can ignore that fact and decide on getting more 40 and 45 foot buses when artics can take up to 99 people out without any issues.

For that mentality, besides the 154, 156 (regular and R), 158, 159 (regular and R), the 13, 70, and the 400 lines in South Jersey, what other lines should use an articulated bus (I also include the 128 since they SHOULD use that bad boy during the rush hour).

Also, since NeoPlan is Neo-Dead, what company should take over as the new providers of articulated buses?

Plead your case and show examples of the bus that you're referring to.

NovaBus LFX?

NovaBus LFS Artic?

NABI BRT?

New Flyer Xcelsior?

Plus, and this is for the MTA brothers on here: What should be the future bus order for NJT if DesignLine bombs (like everyone here expects it to do)? Do anyone think NJT will try again with MCI? Maybe go back to Eagle? Or dare I say, pony up the money and get Prevosts?

Now, we know what's going on with NJT and the need for Artics in South Jersey as 553 have documented. With that comes a question. Eventually, the Artics at Hilton, Big Tree, and Fairview will have to be replaced. And there is no way in hell that NJT can ignore that fact and decide on getting more 40 and 45 foot buses when artics can take up to 99 people out without any issues.

For that mentality, besides the 154, 156 (regular and R), 158, 159 (regular and R), the 13, 70, and the 400 lines in South Jersey, what other lines should use an articulated bus (I also include the 128 since they SHOULD use that bad boy during the rush hour).

Also, since NeoPlan is Neo-Dead, what company should take over as the new providers of articulated buses?

Plead your case and show examples of the bus that you're referring to.

NovaBus LFX?

NovaBus LFS Artic?

NABI BRT?

New Flyer Xcelsior?

Plus, and this is for the MTA brothers on here: What should be the future bus order for NJT if DesignLine bombs (like everyone here expects it to do)? Do anyone think NJT will try again with MCI? Maybe go back to Eagle? Or dare I say, pony up the money and get Prevosts?

First off, I would increase the number of routes that would qualify for articulated buses regardless of division [remember NJT treats the Southern Division like a child with leprosy] with the divisional barriers down, I would determine that NJT would need about 175 articulated buses [broken down like this: 100 Suburbans, andd 75 Transits] and they would be distributed to the garages in this manner:

Hilton - 40 Transits - for the 25 [a new route that qualifies], 39, and 70.

Big Tree - 35 Transits - to make ALL 13 runs articulated [keep 40 footers off this line] and distribute leftovers to runs and lines that need an artic or two.

Fairview - 60 Suburbans - more than enough to cover the 154/156/158/159 runs.

Washington Twp. - 20 suburbans - this allotment would be strictly used for the 400, with any leftovers for the 403.

Egg Harbor Twp - 20 suburbans - for the 553 [first dibs] and leftovers to be used on the 552.

Now who would manufacture the buses, I would suggest that NJT try out various models of articulated buses such as the NABI 60 BRT, Flyer XD60, or Nova LFX62. I would stick with all diesel models, leaving the CNG and Hybrids out of the mix. Hopefully, NJT could deal with the Port Authority's sill restrictions to keep costs low so they could get a standard model, not custom models like they did with the Neoplans.

If it was my choice, I would buy the NFI XD60 model, it seems to fit NJT perfectly.

The 128 during rush hour is frequent enough in my book to stay with MCIs, since the bus starts empyting out pretty quick.

I wouldnt mind seeing NJT order some Xcelsiors as they would do very well on the 400&403. These nabis cannot handel the crowds and its a plain in the ass and just outright sad that njt cant see that. As I stated 3 buses back to back being packed like a sardine can should just scream artics to njt.

The 501&502 as well as the 505/507/508/509 & the 552(Middle Township-Wildwood runs) could use some xcelsiors. Those short run 552s needs its own fleet of buses

As for these designlines if this bus bombs out im sure njt will go back to mci. A prevost cng would not be in the price range of njt lol. NJT is obviously going to stay with the cng program as I seen that new cng commerical they have on tv using the cngs. MCI puts out buses very quick so im sure the 1st hint designline cant get the 1st bus out intime MCI will quickly come into play. If I was njt I would simply convert those current cngs to diesal and send those buses to other garages.

If those neos are replaced instead of being rehabbed they should go to the Nova LFS. Lets face it the D4000s and older D4500s was suppose to go through a rehab and all i seen was new comfy seats, tires.

Lol lets get one thing straight here artics would be a disaster on the 553. Thats like putting nabis on the 137 parkway express.

True about the 154. 137 on a NABI? That would be a giggle! lol

Personally, I never knew why Fairview had to get suburbans for the 150's when transits can hold more people, which is what the line needs, especially during the rush.

I think South Jersey could benefit with more 45's than 40's. 553, help me with this since you're more South Jersey than I am as I was North. I think some of the MCI routes in the South could use more 45's, especially the 551. Personally, I never understood why the 129 had to use a 45 when there wasn't the amount of people needing it. Morning time, sure, since there was a load of people going to Secaucus to work, and the Harmon Cove people (Snot nose motherf**kers) during the rush, but after that, for a 8 hour piece, that should only use a 40'. 166 should always have a 45' as well as the 165. 167, I'm not 100% sure since the times I been on it and driven it, it wasn't that busy. Full, but not busy.

Personally, if there is to be a new order, I'd like to see 45's at Oradell, providing they get a garage that doesn't turn to the temporary home for Spongebob Squarepants and friends when another big one comes. I'd like to see more 40's but newer ones since the ones that NJT has is starting to show it's age. And, and this is the craziest thing I'd ever said here, but if NJT decides on getting new Artics, have it on the 128 and 166 besides the other routes that need it or not. I don't care what anyone says. Those two lines are sardine cans. They could really use an artic. Even the 167 AT TIMES could use one

. Personally, I never understood why the 129 had to use a 45 when there wasn't the amount of people needing it. Morning time, sure, since there was a load of people going to Secaucus to work, and the Harmon Cove people (Snot nose motherf**kers) during the rush, but after that, for a 8 hour piece, that should only use a 40'.

From talking to the guys on the 129 those people complain if it's anything other than a 7100 series. Lately even the bathroom equipped 7100s have been out there. Hell I would'nt even give them a D4000 for the 329....either a NABI or a Nova, I've never seen more than a handful of people on that line.

Personally, if there is to be a new order, I'd like to see 45's at Oradell, providing they get a garage that doesn't turn to the temporary home for Spongebob Squarepants and friends when another big one comes. I'd like to see more 40's but newer ones since the ones that NJT has is starting to show it's age.

(NJT)'s next priority has got to be to do something about Oradell. Honestly I would love to work there, but I don't want to come back from a run to find my car flooded out!:eek: On Friday I was on the 129 heading home when I heard the dispatcher calling all the Oradell guys to park their buses at Paramus Park Mall again. We didn't even have that much rain Friday, but they started flooding out again.

And I agree....I love the 40's but some of the older 76/7700s are really tired...it's time for them to go. I would love to see new D4000s...I do think they have their place in the system alongside the 4500s. With that they need to start ordering new 45s too.....some of those 7400s the Meadowlands have are shot to hell.

From talking to the guys on the 129 those people complain if it's anything other than a 7100 series. Lately even the bathroom equipped 7100s have been out there. Hell I would'nt even give them a D4000 for the 329....either a NABI or a Nova, I've never seen more than a handful of people on that line.

(NJT)'s next priority has got to be to do something about Oradell. Honestly I would love to work there, but I don't want to come back from a run to find my car flooded out!:eek: On Friday I was on the 129 heading home when I heard the dispatcher calling all the Oradell guys to park their buses at Paramus Park Mall again. We didn't even have that much rain Friday, but they started flooding out again.

And I agree....I love the 40's but some of the older 76/7700s are really tired...it's time for them to go. I would love to see new D4000s...I do think they have their place in the system alongside the 4500s. With that they need to start ordering new 45s too.....some of those 7400s the Meadowlands have are shot to hell.

Please do not remind me of the 329. That is more dull than watching paint dry. If it wasn't for the fact that it paid 4.5 hours, I'd wouldn't do it. Damn that was some dull shit. And as for 7400's, UGH. 7423 scared the shit out of me. 129 to NY, left side air went out while on 495 heading into Union City. With a full load. I parked it at Toys R Us Parking Lot on 30th and Kennedy and waited for a new bus.

Forget seeing NABI or Nova on 329. I remember doing a 353 and they had ALL the MCI's out, so I had to do a 329 (Before it was called the 329 - it was just called THE SHUTTLE) on a Metro B. The amount of bitching I heard.....Oy. Following that, they had spare 353's with Flex, just so the 329 can have a 40. You wanna talk pathetic? Ha. If you want horror stories, hit ya boy SirJokaPlaya up. lol

We do need more 45s then anything. Howell needs to give some of them up. But next mci order njt needs to get only 45s and forget the 40.

Howell giving up their buses? Yeah rite. That's like asking your only kid to pull out all their teeth, just so you can get the money and have enough to make change with when you fall short.

I wouldnt want to drive 7434 either. I would be trippen if I was driving that bus on a dh at night. I think they should just change the number of that bus to 7400.

Everybody would still know what bus it was. Even if they did like the (MTA) did with 9666 and transfer the bus to another depot, there would still be problems with people not wanting to drive it.

In any case I heard that some of the Howell guys are bitching about the ex-MTA 7100s, even after they turned them up to 70mph they STILL don't want to take the buses because the A/C only goes down to 72! I say give them some crappy 7400s in exchange....I bet some other garages would be happy with those buses.

Those Howell guys are pricks. Thats all I can say. Reminds me when I was there over New Years did a 67 & 139 with 9024/26 and this cat got into a heated argument with me because those two buses were his favorites. I laughed at him. I did notice howell guys bitch alot. I heard alot of i dont like this bus and so on. Me I really dont care which bus I get(sike gimme 7182 or 7187) lol but I dont complain unless I get a shot down nova or D4000.

The Howell drivers are just like the people along those routes.

Please do not remind me of the 329. That is more dull than watching paint dry. If it wasn't for the fact that it paid 4.5 hours, I'd wouldn't do it. Damn that was some dull shit. And as for 7400's, UGH. 7423 scared the shit out of me. 129 to NY, left side air went out while on 495 heading into Union City. With a full load. I parked it at Toys R Us Parking Lot on 30th and Kennedy and waited for a new bus.

Forget seeing NABI or Nova on 329. I remember doing a 353 and they had ALL the MCI's out, so I had to do a 329 (Before it was called the 329 - it was just called THE SHUTTLE) on a Metro B. The amount of bitching I heard.....Oy. Following that, they had spare 353's with Flex, just so the 329 can have a 40. You wanna talk pathetic? Ha. If you want horror stories, hit ya boy SirJokaPlaya up. lol

WOW MCI on shuttle rtes and I thought MCI on 884 was shocking?? I am so not familiar with bus models. I think NABIs should only be used on low ridership lines in NW NJ and mercer lines but even 606 gets crushloaded sometimes.

Those Howell guys are pricks. Thats all I can say. Reminds me when I was there over New Years did a 67 & 139 with 9024/26 and this cat got into a heated argument with me because those two buses were his favorites. I laughed at him. I did notice howell guys bitch alot. I heard alot of i dont like this bus and so on. Me I really dont care which bus I get(sike gimme 7182 or 7187) lol but I dont complain unless I get a shot down nova or D4000.

The Howell drivers are just like the people along those routes

I can't even imagine how much the Howell drivers will complain when the DesignLines come in. They complain about the buses they have, with the DLs it'll be much worse for them. If they get some of Meadowlands' 7100 CLs they might complain about those too.

I wonder what would be ridership be on an NJ to westchester rte ending at cross county??? via empire.

edlover3.jpg

The Howell drivers are just like the people along those routes.

the last 139 I took to Lakewood.... along the ride, dude jumped the curb to pick up passengers FOUR different times.... I honestly thought the guy was drunk.... couldn't have been more relieved to have gotten off a bus (in one piece)....

Archived