What is your favorite pokemon?

DanTheTransitMan

Does anyone here like any of the 5th generation pokemon? Honestly all of those 5th gen. pokes creep me out.

Gen 5 took some getting used to but those dream world abilities...Venusaur is amazing again! A lot of the gen 5 Pokemon are weird looking and stat wise a lot of them require some rather quirky strategies to make them useful.

PS: 5 generations through and Gengar is still top ghost. :cool:

Gengar was that dude.... err, pokemon... lol

I didn't get my link cable until I got Pokemon Gold so I had to hold off on getting Alakazam and Gengar. I also had Pokemon stadium and I so agree with you bro about the horn-drill and fissure. Guillotine was another one hit KO move that would miss often. Another gripe I had with it was that when ever ice beam was used against me in Pokemon stadium at least 7/10 times I would get frozen but when ever I used it it was about 3/10 times.

that's the other one I was tryna think of.... guillotine....

......and you're right about the moves that causes one to freeze, burn, poison, paralyze, etc.... the chances of it happening to you were higher, the chances of it happening to the computer were lower.....

**pic of Hitmonchan**

hitmonchan, lee, and top.... never really cared for any of them (incl. tyrogue), to be honest.... hitmonchan had to be the worst of the three IMO... you needed a strategy just to keep 'chan from gettin KO'd so easily.... you had to TM him to death to make him usable, b/c his learned punches is weak....

outside of hitmonchan (and that last one, only b/c I don't know what that is), I like that lineup.

And how much money did you guys waste on buying those cards and the TV show?

I spent a lot on those cards....but I ended up spending enough to get back all that I spent + more $$! This was back when the series all the way up to the Team Rocket booster packs had value...

......and you're right about the moves that causes one to freeze, burn, poison, paralyze, etc.... the chances of it happening to you were higher, the chances of it happening to the computer were lower.....

hitmonchan, lee, and top.... never really cared for any of them (incl. tyrogue), to be honest.... hitmonchan had to be the worst of the three IMO... you needed a strategy just to keep 'chan from gettin KO'd so easily.... you had to TM him to death to make him usable, b/c his learned punches is weak....

outside of hitmonchan (and that last one, only b/c I don't know what that is), I like that lineup.

Well, not entirely. Before I did use him in the Elite Four battles, I did buff him up with the Carbos and all that shit. The way I used to do the Elite Four in R/B/Y was like this. Ice & Thunderpunch became a hit for me mainly because my Hitmonchan would have these attacks

Double Team

Meditate

Ice Punch

Thunderpunch

OR

Ice Punch & Fire Punch

or any one of the punch combinations.

Lorelei : The Ice Pokemon Trainer - I'd use Hitmonlee mainly because all of those pokemon were almost 1 Hit-KO'd from High Jump Kick

Bruno : The Fighting / Rock Type Trainer - A combination of Gengar & Gyarados (to eliminate the Onix)

Agatha - The Ghost/Psychic/Poison Trainer : A combination of Gengar & Mr. Mime (when you have a pokemon that can Double Team, Psychic & Substitute like that, its amazing)

Lance : The Dragon Master - Hitmonchan and Gyarados. With the speed boost given by Carbos and being level 63 at the time I first started, it was able to get one-hit K.Os from Ice Punch and Thunderpunch up until Aerodactyl (because that shit was fast as hell). Switched to my Gyarados that was TM'd Ice Beam and finished the day.

Gary : The Rival - All of them lol.

Between the two, Hitmonlee was the power user and has more HP, Hitmonchan has less HP & atk but more Speed, if you fed it with all those steroids from the Celadon City store, your first hit ratio + critical hit ratio would rise substantially.

Hitmonchan has amazing type coverage because of the elemental punches. His base stats just don't make the cut this day and age to be used in the OU and Uber tiers (OU = Overused). Hitmontop is good because technician which basically takes the base power of any move 60 and lower and modifies it by x1.5. But I can't say I used any of the Hitmon fam outside gen 2 and that was because someone gave me a Tyrogue.

Infernape wastes all 3 anyway so he's my guy. I usually take advantage of Infernape's high base attack and make him a swords dance sweeper. But he isn't bad for a special/physical mix set. I'll be tossing him in my sunny day team along with Venusaur (Because double speed in the sun is obnoxious). Key thing for me is going to be leading off with Ninetales (Drought: casts Sunny Day upon sending out) and let me sunny day team take over from there.

Hitmonchan has amazing type coverage because of the elemental punches. His base stats just don't make the cut this day and age to be used in the OU and Uber tiers (OU = Overused). Hitmontop is good because technician which basically takes the base power of any move 60 and lower and modifies it by x1.5. But I can't say I used any of the Hitmon fam outside gen 2 and that was because someone gave me a Tyrogue.

From the 1-251 days, Hitmonchan was rather good, everything after that, he's essentially useless now.

I couldnt deal with Hitmontop as much as I'd try to. And I didnt want to bother going over to Machamp. Primape was one of my favorites to use.

If I had to choose another fighter to use because the Chan/Lee group. It would be Medicham. Both Psychic AND Fighting? I had lots of fun with Medicham, quite the awesome pokemon B)

Charmander Charizard Pikachu Nidoking Poliwrath Artocuno Zapdos Moltres Mewtwo Mew Typhlosion Raikou Entei Suicune LUgia Ho-Oh Celebi Regirock Regice Registeel Groudon Raqueza Jirachi Deoxys Luxray Rotom Dialga Palkia Giratina Darkrai Shaymin Arceus Froslass. All of them + More

Of course there had to be someone who whored the Legendary Pokemon....

My all-time favorite is Charizard. I always choose a Charmander when I begin my journey. Something about having a dragon (technically a Fire Pokemon) fascinated me. My other favorite Pokemon include Tyranitar, Nidoking, Dragonite, Typhlosion, and a bunch of others.

From the 1-251 days, Hitmonchan was rather good, everything after that, he's essentially useless now.

I couldnt deal with Hitmontop as much as I'd try to. And I didnt want to bother going over to Machamp. Primape was one of my favorites to use.

If I had to choose another fighter to use because the Chan/Lee group. It would be Medicham. Both Psychic AND Fighting? I had lots of fun with Medicham, quite the awesome pokemon B)

Machamp is boss...snag one with No Guard and a nature detrimental to speed and stick him in a trick room. watch him maul. I always tried to get a Primeape with with Anger Point. Since I always put a focus sash on him, if the opponent managed to catch him with a critical hit his next move was coming at them with his attack maxed out.

There's a creature in gen 5 that's Fighting & Dark. But I haven't looked into it yet as he's kinda weird looking.

B) there always is....

Charmander Charizard Pikachu Nidoking Poliwrath Artocuno Zapdos Moltres Mewtwo Mew Typhlosion Raikou Entei Suicune LUgia Ho-Oh Celebi Regirock Regice Registeel Groudon Raqueza Jirachi Deoxys Luxray Rotom Dialga Palkia Giratina Darkrai Shaymin Arceus Froslass. All of them + More

Your Dialga vs my Wobbuffett. Let's go >.>

Machamp is boss...snag one with No Guard and a nature detrimental to speed and stick him in a trick room. watch him maul. I always tried to get a Primeape with with Anger Point. Since I always put a focus sash on him, if the opponent managed to catch him with a critical hit his next move was coming at them with his attack maxed out.

There's a creature in gen 5 that's Fighting & Dark. But I haven't looked into it yet as he's kinda weird looking.

Machamp is a beast, no doubt....but I didnt use him for the fact that at that time, he was EXTREMELY overrated....

The last mixed-fighting type pokemon I used was Lucario...that thing was also epic...

And how much money did you guys waste on buying those cards and the TV show?

- the cards, about 50-100 bucks total, over time... but once yugioh cards came out, I stopped collecting pkmn cards.... never actually played the tcg (card game); always found it boring.... ended up givin my entire coll. to my siblings.....

- the tv show, I don't get a bill every month from con ed breakin down how much I gotta pay for every pokemon episode I watch... can't answer that one for ya....

....but was that remark really an attempt tryna clown folk on the sly tip for investing in a hobby/an interest of theirs?

I hope not, especially when in a later post, you come out & state....

Just like my baseball cards that are all worth like a million dollars today, except my mom cleaned out the attic and threw them all away, lol.

...someone seemingly with an understanding of what it is to want to spend money on cards...

sucks that you had your stuff thrown out.... but the way I see it, you didn't value them all that much if you had them stored up in an attic.... I can't see myself neglecting a little over 10 years of me having spent money collecting multiple card sets/year of basketball & football cards (few hockey sets as well).... stopped collecting around '98 due to college, and prices/pack/set (prices per pack, per set) increased rather significantly around that time.... I chose a good time to stop collecting sports cards.... don't know how the hobby is doin on the sports card end of it, in 2011....

I would gather that the sports memorabilia end of the hobby aint doin too great either, but it's whatever....

---------------------------------

Anyway...

Well, not entirely. Before I did use him in the Elite Four battles, I did buff him up with the Carbos and all that shit.

lol... carbos, iron, protein, and I think zinc was the other one.... man, them things was expensive as hell; god help you if you didn't do the "glitch" to multiply those things in pkmn red/blue....

only thing I bothered multiplying was rare candies, master balls, & nuggets...

Machamp is boss..

This....

I always choose a Charmander when I begin my journey.

All I know is, I would never pick bulbasaur; not too fond of grass types.... so it was either squirtle or charmander for me.

I made it a habit to never battle w/ any of them... the fun was just capturing them.

Gen 5 took some getting used to but those dream world abilities...Venusaur is amazing again! A lot of the gen 5 Pokemon are weird looking and stat wise a lot of them require some rather quirky strategies to make them useful.

PS: 5 generations through and Gengar is still top ghost. :cool:

Yeah Gengar is the best ghost! Hypnosis + dream eater + nightmare = win

Yeah it got annoying especially when you're trying to do the gym leader castle.

Your Dialga vs my Wobbuffett. Let's go >.>

You mean Scraggy and Scrafty. Yeah they do look weird but if you want to train one I recommend training one with the Moxie ability. Moxie increases Scraggy's/Scrafty's attack each time it defeats a Pokemon in a battle.

Wobbuffett is actually a good Pokemon. If Dialga knows nothing but special attacks you can just spam mirror coat. If Dialga knows nothing but physical attacks just spam counter lol.

Yeah Gengar is the best ghost! Hypnosis + dream eater + nightmare = win

You mean Scraggy and Scrafty. Yeah they do look weird but if you want to train one I recommend training one with the Moxie ability. Moxie increases Scraggy's/Scrafty's attack each time it defeats a Pokemon in a battle.

Wobbuffett is actually a good Pokemon. If Dialga knows nothing but special attacks you can just spam mirror coat. If Dialga knows nothing but physical attacks just spam counter lol.

:\ i would never run that set on a Gengar...Hypnosis' accuracy is too shaky for me...if it misses (and it normally does) I'm basically left with two moves I can't use.

Yeah Scrafty was what I was looking for. Moxie is ok...but requires that you win to get that boost...it gets Intimidate from Dream World which is more my thing...sometimes that -1 ATK level can mean the difference between being swept or getting your setup.

The thing of it is the match up between Wob & Dialga is like 99.9% predictability. I'm only gonna get one shot at Dialga. If I use Mirror Coat and he used a physical move i just wasted my chance of winning. I just think i'd be able to predict which move type my Wobbuffet would be taking

:\ i would never run that set on a Gengar...Hypnosis' accuracy is too shaky for me...if it misses (and it normally does) I'm basically left with two moves I can't use.

Yeah Scrafty was what I was looking for. Moxie is ok...but requires that you win to get that boost...it gets Intimidate from Dream World which is more my thing...sometimes that -1 ATK level can mean the difference between being swept or getting your setup.

The thing of it is the match up between Wob & Dialga is like 99.9% predictability. I'm only gonna get one shot at Dialga. If I use Mirror Coat and he used a physical move i just wasted my chance of winning. I just think i'd be able to predict which move type my Wobbuffet would be taking

I said the same thing when a friend of mine told me about the move set. I tried it and it actually works for me B) Although the move set works much better with Darkrai for a few reasons:

1. Darkrai learns Dark void which is a much better version of hypnosis.

2. Darkrai's ability is bad dreams which lowers the opponent's heath plus if you use nightmare it also takes health along with bad dreams.

3. Combine the methods above with dream eater then watch the results :cool:

With Wobbuffet you can try using destiny bond before Wobbuffet faints.

I too love the intimidate ability especially with Gyarados.

Better moves for Gengar are Focus Blast and Shadow Ball. The first time I encountered Focus Blast on a Gengar I was stupefied. Shadow Ball is just the resident ghost move for special sweepers like Gengar and for obvious reason.

I can't say I've encountered a Darkrai ever but he seems like one that'd make good use of Dark Pulse. Wobbuffet isn't going to get the first turn in on anything ever unless you stick it in a trick room. Most people stick a focus sash on it so when it gets hit it has 1HP left which is why I even went with the predict move strategy. I think you can scarf it if you're going for DB for a speed up though. But I owned a Latios with the first strategy.

How about the bug pokemon that's out there now. I think they're rather underused in my opinion, unless I'm missing something here?

Heracross says hi if you're talking about bug pokemon in general. In gen 5 Leavanny is a beast. It gets Chlorophyll so double speed in the sun and its already fast as hell. It's got a high physical attack with access to Swords Dance and Leaf Blade (the most powerful physical grass move in the game). But it's part grass though so expect it to drop if a fire type switches in. There's also Voltik...though that one is only used because its electric/bug so neutral dmg against Earthquake but try getting it to survive. Compoundeyes = Thunder is 100% accuracy or close to it. Not sure I can say anything more for the type group than that. Grass got upgraded big with Prankster. Status moves hit first with grass types that have it. And what Grass type do we know of that can't at least inflict one status changing move? (i'm talking PRZ/SLP/PSN)

lol... carbos, iron, protein, and I think zinc was the other one.... man, them things was expensive as hell; god help you if you didn't do the "glitch" to multiply those things in pkmn red/blue....

only thing I bothered multiplying was rare candies, master balls, & nuggets...

I duped the Master Balls & Nuggets, never did with the rare candies only because you get less bonuses for the stats. Essentially, you'd be level 100 and have less stats than you'd wanted.

How about the bug pokemon that's out there now. I think they're rather underused in my opinion, unless I'm missing something here?

I'll stick with the originals. Venomoth was one of my favorites to use at the time.

When it came down to Poison types, Arbok was my sh*t!!

Better moves for Gengar are Focus Blast and Shadow Ball. The first time I encountered Focus Blast on a Gengar I was stupefied. Shadow Ball is just the resident ghost move for special sweepers like Gengar and for obvious reason.

Shadow Ball I could do with...Focus Blast....not so much. As good as that attack was. I wouldnt use it.

Back when the Chinatown Fair was open, they used to hold tournaments for G/S/C players. The fact that someone won with a Gengar with these four attacks doesnt surprise me

Double Team

Hypnosis

Dream Eater

Nightmare

I remember a tournament where this one guy had two Gengars in his party, one like this and another thats just pure damage with moves like Toxic and Confuse Ray. I wouldnt say Hypnosis is lacking accuracy, it mostly depends on the stats of the other Pokemon.

I can't say I've encountered a Darkrai ever but he seems like one that'd make good use of Dark Pulse. Wobbuffet isn't going to get the first turn in on anything ever unless you stick it in a trick room. Most people stick a focus sash on it so when it gets hit it has 1HP left which is why I even went with the predict move strategy. I think you can scarf it if you're going for DB for a speed up though. But I owned a Latios with the first strategy.

Yeah Darkrai is good with Dark pulse but it learns it at level 93 -__- I think there is a TM for Dark pulse but I can't remember if there is. Never thought about doing your first strategy. I will try it with my Wobbuffet.

I duped the Master Balls & Nuggets, never did with the rare candies only because you get less bonuses for the stats. Essentially, you'd be level 100 and have less stats than you'd wanted.

I'll stick with the originals. Venomoth was one of my favorites to use at the time.

You can say that again! Arbok is a beast poison type. Another good poison type in my opinion is Drapion.

Shadow Ball I could do with...Focus Blast....not so much. As good as that attack was. I wouldnt use it.

Back when the Chinatown Fair was open, they used to hold tournaments for G/S/C players. The fact that someone won with a Gengar with these four attacks doesnt surprise me

Double Team

Hypnosis

Dream Eater

Nightmare

I remember a tournament where this one guy had two Gengars in his party, one like this and another thats just pure damage with moves like Toxic and Confuse Ray. I wouldnt say Hypnosis is lacking accuracy, it mostly depends on the stats of the other Pokemon.

Focus Blast is there for the normal types that tend to switch in on it when Gengar comes out. I've mauled Togekiss with that move. I choose my moves based on the type coverage I want to be able to handle because it is the worst when your opponent switches in something that walls your sweeper. To top that off the switch in is ready for whatever you switch out Gengar with. And hypnosis has a 60% accuracy. I'm not a fan of moves that have less than 95% and even with those moves I've had instances where it missed 2-3 times in a row. In a game tournament you can't afford to miss once.

Ahh Venomoth. I decided to play through a game of Soul Silver with one. I was very pleased with it. I think for poison types, Weezing was my favorite. It had the natural ability to be a wall allowing my toxic team to play decently. If it got low I'd switch to Umbreon cast Wish and then switch back to Weezing when the healing effect kicked in. I just wish dream world gave it something. But I guess you can't go wrong with levitate. Immunity to Earthquake is good. That move is the bane of my existence.

@NYCTrainfan01 TM 79 is your dark pulse. I tend not to use legendaries. I like my wins to come from non-legend pokemon.

Oh I knew that.... but when you're tryna trade w/ someone for pkmn, all most ppl. care about is the pkmn itself & what lvl it's at..... completing the 'dex (pokedex) was also what kept me interested in playin....

I remember a tournament where this one guy had two Gengars in his party, one like this and another thats just pure damage with moves like Toxic and Confuse Ray.

mean look, destiny bond, confuse ray, and curse.... I had a gengar in crystal with that move set.... If I knew I had a 1 or more pkmn advantage against you, and that was your last pkmn, that's when I took that one out.....

I never used my "offensive" & my "defensive/suicidal" gengar in my main lineup though... 'twas either one or the other.....

Those GSC trny's, yeh, I went one year w/ my lil bro & 3 of my cousin's friends.... IIRC, the lineup went:

Spr_2c_065.gifSpr_2c_065.gifSpr_2c_196.gifSpr_2c_103.gifSpr_2c_149_s.gifSpr_2c_094.gif

...and I agree hypnosis isn't an inaccurate move... I'd never know if it had a 60% hit rate, b/c I would land it at least 80% of the time, regardless of what pkmn I faced....

Double Team

Hypnosis

Dream Eater

Nightmare

How could a guy have two Gengars in his party, that violates the Species Clause? What kind of tournament were you at? :confused:

I'm more surprised that someone would actually win a tournament using a Gengar with that moveset in a G/S/C. All I'd have to do is send out Umbreon/Murkrow and that Gengar is walled. Even if Gengar managed to put Umbreon to sleep, Dream Eater is useless because of Psychic immunity and Nightmare ceases to work as soon as it wakes up. I could then cast Wish and regain the HP I lost in a turn or two. Now if Gengar has Focus Blast in its set than an Umbreon is in trouble.

I didn't even go into the other two moves for my Gengar set. Substitute: You might think I'm crazy but Substitute is amazing. Put a dummy out. Say your opponent decides his lead isn't good enough to take on Gengar he switches his lead for something else. Guess what, you just scouted him. Gengar is likely to out speed so you can either whack the new opposition with your FB or your Shadow Ball. The other option is you can whack them with Pain Split. You just spent HP to create a dummy, you can definitely pain split them.

This kills their focus sash and so they won't have 1 HP left when you try to sweep. Also, assuming the dummy is still alive you can even switch out for something else of your choosing to fit the moment. I usually switch to Leafeon or something else that can cast wish fast, so I can switch the Gengar back in for healing. Your other fourth option is hidden power. Hidden Power's type varies and Gengar at base 130 Special Attack can seriously damage something if the HP type is advantageous against what its hitting. I strongly suggest HP Ice of HP Fire.

Ice gives you dragon coverage and Fire lets you hit Bronzong or any other steel type that would otherwise wall your Gengar (Bronzong /Skarmory are you big threats).

Archived