Subway - What If?

VWM

Which shows you all you need to know about the short attention span society we have today. 

This is where paying attention and staying on top of things rewards the rider who does that.

Anyway, getting back to scenarios:

A water main break at Herald Square has played major havoc on both the Broadway and 6th Avenue Lines.  It will take several days to fully repair and both subway stations are unusable during this time. 

Simultaneously, the switches north of Essex Street on the Nassau Line off the Willy B are stuck with all such trains having to go to the 6th Avenue line northbound while the switches south of Essex Street coming off the Willy B to Manhattan won't allow such trains to go to the center track,

In addition, in Queens, all trains coming south on Queens Boulevard on the express track MUST go via 63rd Street (trains on the local track can go via 53rd or 60th or via the Crosstown line).

16A%20SPN%20NYC%20Subway%20Map%20DEC%202

Did I miss anything?

Notes:

-G train terminates at Forest Hills and F runs local east of Forest Hills on Weekends to save money. Not shown because I've spent 2 hours on this already.

-Map assumes R train in Queens runs at a low enough TPH to fit the 15 TPH E train and the G line on QBL west of Jackson Heights

-There is a single track shuttle between 57/7Av and 42 TS on BMT Broadway. Not shown.

Edited by Sparen of Iria

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should start doing this for these scenerios, but I lack the time....

A water main break at Franklin Ave causes major chaos to the (2)(3)(4)(5) and (S) shuttle. Station can not be used. Reroute.

No (2), (3), or (4) east of Atlantic Avenue.

Some (2) and (3')s end at chambers or Rector Street.

special (3) shuttles run between Utica and New Lots.

(5) ends at Bowling Green.

(S) suspended.

Shuttle buses run between Atlantic and Utica, along withwith another shuttle bus route on the (S) on Franklin Avenue.

Not exactly, here what I would do:

Uptown (R) trains run to Broad Street (Some go to Chambers St or Jamaica via the (Z) )

(Z) is Replaced by Express (R) trains

Downtown (R) trains terminate at 34 Street - Herald Square

Shuttle Buses run and stop at stations that the (R) dosent.

(Q) trains don't skip 49 Street.

A water main break at Franklin Ave causes major chaos to the (2)(3)(4)(5) and (S) shuttle. Station can not be used. Reroute.

A water main break shouldn't affect the (S) since it's outside, but what do I know?

I should start doing this for these scenerios, but I lack the time....

What you need is a template with all the lines drawn in. When you need to make changes, simply change the colors, cut, or delete the lines you don't need. If you have labels, change those too. I swear, it's easier. That's how I've such rapid changes to my fantasy maps before.

Cortland Street on the (R) collapses onto it self, no other stations are affected by this.

Reroute!

This is a no-nonsense scenario, but followed by something otherwise ....

Not exactly, here what I would do:

Uptown (R) trains run to Broad Street (Some go to Chambers St or Jamaica via the (Z) )

(Z) is Replaced by Express (R) trains

Downtown (R) trains terminate at 34 Street - Herald Square

Shuttle Buses run and stop at stations that the (R) dosent.

(Q) trains don't skip 49 Street.

The (R) has never in history made it north of Chambers Street, by the way. By the time it hits Bowery, it basically loses its (R)-ness. Each route has a sort of defining characteristic, and a route that is altered to posses other characteristics changes its letter to reflect that. Your "Jamaica ®" would therefore, be renamed (J) since it runs along the Jamaica line and is basically an extension of the (J).

Similarly, when you answered a one of the scenarios, you had a (B) run between 145 Street and Norwood–205 Street. If it runs to Norwood–205 Street, it is no longer a (B), but a (D). A bird that quacks and waddles is a duck, even if you call it a chicken.

Did I miss anything?

Notes:

-G train terminates at Forest Hills and F runs local east of Forest Hills on Weekends to save money. Not shown because I've spent 2 hours on this already.

-Map assumes R train in Queens runs at a low enough TPH to fit the 15 TPH E train and the G line on QBL west of Jackson Heights

-There is a single track shuttle between 57/7Av and 42 TS on BMT Broadway. Not shown.

I'm not so sure about Canal Street as a northern terminal. Have a look at the track map. It's going to be a bitch to turn trains there. I rolled by the station last week and it looks like the express tracks between the Canal Street local tracks are also rusted or has fallen into disuse.

I'm not so sure about Canal Street as a northern terminal. Have a look at the track map. It's going to be a bitch to turn trains there. I rolled by the station last week and it looks like the express tracks between the Canal Street local tracks are also rusted or has fallen into disuse.

You have a point there. Chambers would probably work better as a northern terminal then.

Couple things here:

-Why send the (G) to Jamaica? You can just simply send it to Forest Hills.

-Northbound should not be affected, so you can keep service the way it is.

-(E) could run local west of Jackson Heights, doesn't have to start local at Forest Hills.

-Switches in the (G) would be a pain in the ass.

-(E) should run express.

Which shows you all you need to know about the short attention span society we have today. 

This is where paying attention and staying on top of things rewards the rider who does that.

Anyway, getting back to scenarios:

A water main break at Herald Square has played major havoc on both the Broadway and 6th Avenue Lines.  It will take several days to fully repair and both subway stations are unusable during this time. 

Simultaneously, the switches north of Essex Street on the Nassau Line off the Willy B are stuck with all such trains having to go to the 6th Avenue line northbound while the switches south of Essex Street coming off the Willy B to Manhattan won't allow such trains to go to the center track,

In addition, in Queens, all trains coming south on Queens Boulevard on the express track MUST go via 63rd Street (trains on the local track can go via 53rd or 60th or via the Crosstown line).

(B) suspended.

(D) two sections: 

Norwood to Coney Island via (F) and W4th St to Coney Island normal route. 4th Av Local.

(F) no service between Coney Island and 57th St. Select trains to 57th St.

(M) no service between FH and Hewes St.

(N) no service between Whitehall St and 42nd St. Skips 49th St.  4th Av Local.

(Q) no service between Astoria and Chambers St (J).

(R) late night shuttle.

(J) no service between Broad St and Marcy Av.

(E) via QB Local.

(G) extended to FH.

I think I covered everything...

EDIT: I forgot the (Z), which is obviously suspended with (J) making all local stops.

Next (Part of this is true and I got stranded in it):

There is a broken rail at Parsons Blvd (F) and workers are crowding the area. Also, there are switch problems at Forest Hills layup. In addition, Sutphin Blvd (J)(Z)(E) has collapsed, damaging structure in all of Archer Av line, and enough to cause problems up to 111th St (J).

Affected: (E)(F)(M)(R)(J)(Z).

Edited by MTA Dude

There is a broken rail at Parsons Blvd F and workers are crowding the area. Also, there are switch problems at Forest Hills layup. In addition, Sutphin Blvd E/J/Z has collapsed, damaging structure in all of Archer Av line, and enough to cause problems up to 111th St J.

Affected: E/F/J/M/R/Z

(E) and (F) run normal routes to 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue ONLY!!

(M) and (R) run normal routes and are extended to the Jamaica-Van Wyck (E) station
Some trains terminate at Union Turnpike on the express track when capacity does not allow all trains to terminate at Jamaica-Van-Wyck and such trains skip 75th Avenue. 

Late Night: ALL trains on Queens Boulevard terminate at Jamaica-Van Wyck (E) station if capacity allows.

Shuttle buses operate between 74th-Roosevelt and 179th Street, including buses that run express to Union Turnpike.

Shuttle buses operate between 74th-Roosevelt and Archer Avenue, including buses that run express to Jamaica-Van Wyck.

(J) operates to 111th Street ONLY with select trains terminating at Crescent Street OR Cypress Hills (no (Z) service).
Shuttle buses operate between Archer Avenue and 111th Street OR Cresent Street with express shuttle buses between Broadway Junction and Archer Avenue, also stopping at Sutphin Bouevard.

Edited by Wallyhorse

There is a broken rail at Parsons Blvd (F) and workers are crowding the area. Also, there are switch problems at Forest Hills layup. In addition, Sutphin Blvd (J)(Z)(E) has collapsed, damaging structure in all of Archer Av line, and enough to cause problems up to 111th St (J).

(E) Jamaica-Van Wyck to Manhattan via Queens Local

(F) via Hillside express (never specified which track)

(J) Broadway Junction to Broad St

(M) Metropolitan Av to Chambers St

(R) 57 St-7 Av to Brooklyn

(Z) suspended

Jamaica-Van Wyck cannot be used as it is part of the Archer Av Line. Neither can 111th St due to weakened structure.

Then in my case, Union Turnpike as a terminal as noted above for the (M)(R) (and ALL trains overnights) and for the (J), Crescent Street OR Cypress Hills with some trains terminating at Broadway Junction

Rest stays unchanged for me.

Mine adjusted to reflect that:

(E) and (F) run normal routes to 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue ONLY!!

(M) and (R) run normal routes and are extended to the Union Turnpike on the express tracks. Lines run local to 71st-Continental and such trains switch to the express track after that and skip 75th Avenue. 

Late Night: ALL trains on Queens Boulevard terminate at Union Turnpike

Shuttle buses operate between 74th-Roosevelt and 179th Street, including buses that run express to Union Turnpike.

Shuttle buses operate between 74th-Roosevelt and Archer Avenue, including buses that run express to Union Turnpike.

(J) operates to Crescent Street OR Cypress Hills ONLY (no (Z) service) with some trains terminating at Broadway Junction.

Shuttle buses operate between Archer Avenue and Broadway Junction with express shuttle buses between Broadway Junction and Archer Avenue, also stopping at Sutphin Bouevard and Jamaica-Van Wyck.

This is where doing the work that was done on the (L) would come back to bite the (MTA) as you could have otherwise had (J) trains run to Atlantic Avenue on the (L) and terminate there.

Edited by Wallyhorse

Here is what I would do:

(E) to Union Tpk via QB Local.

(F) to Roosevelt Av.

(M) to Roosevelt Av via QB Exp.

(R) to Union Tpk via QB Local.

(J) N/B terminate at Crescent/Cypress.

(Z) suspended.

Since no one has posted a scenario in the past few days...

A derailment has occurred north of Herald Square on the 6th Avenue line, involving a northbound (D) train. The crossover north of the station changed at the last second when the train's second part of the car was passing it.

Reroute, shuttle bus, or detour away!

A derailment has occurred north of Herald Square on the 6th Avenue line, involving a northbound (D) train. The crossover north of the station changed at the last second when the train's second part of the car was passing it.

Southbound service is unaffected, and I would suppose a derailment would case the N/B local to be disrupted.

Northbound (B) runs to 57th St-7th Av. (B)ravo's north of the derailment will run terminate at 145th and have a normal trip to Brighton and it will run between BB and 57th St.7th.

Northbound (D) trains will run between Coney Island and 205th St via Culver to Jay St, then via (A) line to 59th continuing to the Bronx.

Northbound (M) trains will run via shuttle, trains north of the derailment on the QBL will run between Continental and WTC via 8th Av Line.

Northbound (F) trains will run via (A) line after Jay St.

In a nutshell:

(B) 57th St-7th Av Broadway - Brighton Beach.

(D) Coney Island to Norwood via Culver Exp, via (A) line resuming normal service after 59th.

(M) Shuttle, Continental to WTC via 6th Av/63rd St to W4th then via (E) line.

(F) via (A) after Jay St, then via 53rd St.

Southbound service is unaffected, and I would suppose a derailment would case the N/B local to be disrupted.

Northbound (B) runs to 57th St-7th Av. (B)ravo's north of the derailment will run terminate at 145th and have a normal trip to Brighton and it will run between BB and 57th St.7th.

Northbound (D) trains will run between Coney Island and 205th St via Culver to Jay St, then via (A) line to 59th continuing to the Bronx.

Northbound (M) trains will run via shuttle, trains north of the derailment on the QBL will run between Continental and WTC via 8th Av Line.

Northbound (F) trains will run via (A) line after Jay St.

In a nutshell:

(B) 57th St-7th Av Broadway - Brighton Beach.

(D) Coney Island to Norwood via Culver Exp, via (A) line resuming normal service after 59th.

(M) Shuttle, Continental to WTC via 6th Av/63rd St to W4th then via (E) line.

(F) via (A) after Jay St, then via 53rd St.

Too many trains on 53 Street.  :mellow:

Did I miss anything?

]

Change that (M) to Brown man, it's no longer part of the 6th Ave, extend the (J) to Broad, (M) back to Bay Pkwy

The (G) should not go to Jamaica, hell no! Make the (G) run from 71st to Church Av, BKLYN bring back the (W) nd run that from Times Sq to Canal nd the (N) runs express when the (W) 's local in Manhattan. And how you make that? That maps dope. I tried on MS Paint but dat shits hard.

Nice, 500 pages of this thread.

Next: Due to a Derailment at Queensboro Plaza, its upper level (both tracks) is unuseable.

Where to do the (N) / (Q) / (7) go?

The (7) is suspended entirely West of 74th St-Broadway, but runs between 74th St and Flushing. Shuttle buses will replace service as well as LIRR cross accommodations.

The Astoria section is suspended, and shuttle buses will run between Astoria and 59th St-Lex.

The (N) however runs between Coney Island and 57th St, while the (Q) runs via Queens Blvd to Continental.

Figure this will be there a day two at least and I will assume no service is available between West 4th and 57th Street on 6th Avenue while they do repairs and get the train out:

(B) runs West 4th Street-Brighton Beach ONLY!!

(C) runs via 8th Avenue express between 145th Street and Canal Street

(D) is temporarily shifted to the Culver Line and runs as follows:

Via CPW and 8th Avenue Local from 145th Street-West 4th

Replacing the (F) from West 4th-Coney Island

Most (E) trains run via 63rd Street and the Broadway Line to Whitehall Street.

(Limited (E) trains run via normal route, however, trains skip Spring Street as that station is CLOSED with shuttle buses operating between Canal Street and West 4th to accommodate such)

(F) also runs via 63rd Street and via the Broadway Line, then after Canal Street over the Bridge and then via 4th Avenue and the West End line to Coney Island, temporarily replacing the (D) in Brooklyn.

Some (F) trains from 179th Street run to 57th Street-6th Avenue, where they terminate with a single-track shuttle operating between 57th Street and 47-50th Rockerfeller Center.

Some (F) trains from Coney Island operate via normal route to West 4th Street, where they terminate.

If necessary, (G) is extended past Court Square and also if necessary to accommodate the (G) operating on Queens Boulevard, the (G)(M) and (R) are all extended to 179th Street with select eastbound trains skipping 169th Street.  If that is necessary, ALL (F) trains in Queens operate express to 179th Street.

(M) runs via 8th Avenue local between 5th Avenue and West 4th.

Edited by Wallyhorse

Change that (M) to Brown man, it's no longer part of the 6th Ave, extend the (J) to Broad, (M) back to Bay Pkwy

The (G) should not go to Jamaica, hell no! Make the (G) run from 71st to Church Av, BKLYN bring back the (W) nd run that from Times Sq to Canal nd the (N) runs express when the (W) 's local in Manhattan. And how you make that? That maps dope. I tried on MS Paint but dat shits hard.

The Willy-B cannot be used by trains due to issues at Delancey Essex, so you're not getting any (J) or (M) trains out of Brooklyn. By convention, the MTA does not change colors for service changes, so the (M) remains orange. Running the W from Times Square is not possible because Herald Square is not usable. Did you even look at the scenario?

As for how I made it, it took about 4 months to get the base map done, so I'm not going to say any more than that.