Subway - What If?

VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years after Sandy, another hurricane storms NYC, this time being Category 3. The Stillwell Avenue (D)(F)(N)(Q) and nearby stations suffered extensive damage from the storm. The entire Sea Beach Line is flooded all the way to the top. Now what?

Edited by lara8710

What about the connections at 138 Street that connect the (2) and the (4)?

The connections are at 149th Street, not 138th Street. Even if it used those connections, it'll still have to stop at the lower level, then merge with the Jerome Avenue Line to 138th Street, and then go back up to 149th Street on the upper level.

Then:

Due to switch problems at Franklin Ave the following are affected:

(4) trains are forced to go via the (2)

(5) trains are forced to go via the (2)

(2)(5) trains can not continue on to Flatbush Ave because the switch is forcing them to go to New Lots Ave.

Reroute. It's rush hour.

A few years after Sandy, another hurricane storms NYC, this time being Category 3. The Stillwell Avenue (D)(F)(N)(Q) and nearby stations suffered extensive damage from the storm. The entire Sea Beach Line is flooded all the way to the top. Now what?

(N) via (R) to Bay Ridge

(Q) to Kings Highway (assuming Brighton Beach closed)

(B) Brighton Local to Kings Highway (assuming Brighton Beach closed)

(F) to Kings Highway (assuming Av X closed)

(D) to Bay Pkwy (or 62 St if Bay Pkwy closed)

Now, you said that the entire Sea Beach Line is flooded to the top, right? That means that you can assume 59 St is flooded as well, I assume. If this is the case, send the (R) to 9th Av and the (N) to either Bay Pkwy or 62 St via West End.

(B) Bedford Park/145th to Prospect Park

(D) 205th to Bay Parkway

(F) 179th to Kings Highway

(N) Astoria to 62nd St

(Q) Astoria/57th St to Kings Highway

Then:

Due to switch problems at Franklin Ave the following are affected:

(4) trains are forced to go via the (2)

(5) trains are forced to go via the (2)

(2)(5) trains can not continue on to Flatbush Ave because the switch is forcing them to go to New Lots Ave.

Reroute. It's rush hour.

(2) trains go to/from New Lots

(4) trains go via Eastern Pkwy local and switch back at Atlantic

(5) Dyre Av to Bowling Green

Simple

EZ-PZ!

(B) terminated at Atlantic Av-Barclays Center.

(D) terminate at 62nd St, s/b via 4th Av local.

(F) terminate at Kings Highway.

(N) via (W).

(R) rerouted over (D) to 9th Av.

(Q) terminate at Kings Highway.

Due to a lapse in safety protocol, construction equipment fell from high up from atop a building damaging the 7 Avenue line's tunnel at Columbus Circle. The resulting debris underground has also made it into the Central Park West tunnel. Service is not expected to be restored for at least a few months for the 7 Avenue line. Central Park West trains are expected to bypass the station during repairs after taking some time to examine the station and tunnel structures.

Stations affected: 59 Street–Columbus Circle

Lines affected: (1)(2)(3)(A)(B)(C)(D)

Edited by CenSin

EZ-PZ!

(B) terminated at Atlantic Av-Barclays Center.

(D) terminate at 62nd St, s/b via 4th Av local.

(F) terminate at Kings Highway.

(N) via (W).

(R) rerouted over (D) to 9th Av.

(Q) terminate at Kings Highway.

Terminating the (B) at Atlantic is a pretty bad idea. You might as well send it to Prospect Park or Kings Highway (if the latter can handle all the trains.)

Due to a lapse in safety protocol, construction equipment fell from high up from atop a building damaging the 7 Avenue line's tunnel at Columbus Circle. The resulting debris underground has also made it into the Central Park West tunnel. Service is not expected to be restored for at least a few months for the 7 Avenue line. Central Park West trains are expected to bypass the station during repairs after taking some time to examine the station and tunnel structures.

Stations affected: 59 Street–Columbus Circle

Lines affected: (1)(2)(3)(A)(B)(C)(D)

These scenarios just get worse and worse.

Unlike a previous poster, I'll try something a little less draconian, but it may not work completely.

(1) Suspended south of 96th, Express NB from 96-137

(2) Runs via (5) from 149th to Nevins

(3) Suspended north of Times Square, local NB and express SB on 7th Avenue at limited frequency. Late nights terminates at Atlantic on the express platform

(4) Some trains run local in Brooklyn and are extended to New Lots

(5) Reduced frequency, no trains to Nereid

When Columbus Circle closed to through traffic on 8th Avenue:

(A) runs in 2 sections: Normal routing south of 14th Street and local north of 125th Street

(B)(C) Suspended

(D) 2 sections- Stillwell to 42nd and 145th to Norwood. Stops at DeKalb for Brighton passengers.

(E) Extended to Euclid as a local

When CC clear to pass through (if all 4 tracks available):

(A)(B)(C)(D)(E) run normal routes

These scenarios just get worse and worse.

Unlike a previous poster, I'll try something a little less draconian, but it may not work completely.

(1) Suspended south of 96th, Express NB from 96-137

(2) Runs via (5) from 149th to Nevins

(3) Suspended north of Times Square, local NB and express SB on 7th Avenue at limited frequency. Late nights terminates at Atlantic on the express platform

(4) Some trains run local in Brooklyn and are extended to New Lots

(5) Reduced frequency, no trains to Nereid

When Columbus Circle closed to through traffic on 8th Avenue:

(A) runs in 2 sections: Normal routing south of 14th Street and local north of 125th Street

(B)(C) Suspended

(D) 2 sections- Stillwell to 42nd and 145th to Norwood. Stops at DeKalb for Brighton passengers.

(E) Extended to Euclid as a local

When CC clear to pass through (if all 4 tracks available):

(A)(B)(C)(D)(E) run normal routes

It's a head-scratcher. I'm not even sure how to deal with it myself.

Good job on the (1) and (E).

For the (A), it would appear that trains have to skip 135 Street in either the northbound or the southbound direction, much like the (1) skipping all those local stops.

The (3) might need to cover the Lenox Avenue line and terminate at 96 Street, but I'm not sure how I feel about the (2) running over the Lexington Avenue line, especially when the (4) and (5) get into enough trouble by themselves all the time.

It's a head-scratcher. I'm not even sure how to deal with it myself.

Good job on the (1) and (E).

For the (A), it would appear that trains have to skip 135 Street in either the northbound or the southbound direction, much like the (1) skipping all those local stops.

The (3) might need to cover the Lenox Avenue line and terminate at 96 Street, but I'm not sure how I feel about the (2) running over the Lexington Avenue line, especially when the (4) and (5) get into enough trouble by themselves all the time.

Guess stuff could turn at 96th on the NB side while the (1) uses the normal SB platform. (A) would have to bypass 135th in one direction, but if you wanted to make things interesting, the (D) could run to 125th as well and run local the other way.

I didn't mention this, but I'd also have a shuttle bus along 125th St to take people to the Lex and continuing over the bridge to Astoria for the (N)(Q), as well as shuttle buses running along the (1)(2)(3)(A)(B)(C)(D).

(1) Trains are split into two. Downtown (1) trains Terminate at 96 Street with select uptown trains going via the (2) to East 180 Streeet.

242 Street - 96 Street and Times Square - South Ferry with select trains running to New Lots Ave. The (1) also borrows R142's from the (2) since it can't access it's yard.

(2) Trains go via the Lex Ave Line.

(3) Trains are suspended but there is a single track shuttle that goes from 96 Street to 148 Street, and another shuttle that goes from 96 Street to 149 Street.

(4) Trains have reduced express service with some going express and some going local.

(5) trains have to shift to local service only in Manhattan

<6> Trains are Suspended.

(A) No service between 207 Street and 14 Street, trains only run between 14 Street and Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd.

(C) Trains run from 207 Street to 145 Street using the remaining R32's it has and the remaining R46's from the (A). Trains run every 15 minutes.

(B) trains are reduced to a shuttle between 145 Street and Norwood 205 Street with select trains terminating at Bedford Park Blvd.

(D) trains run only between Coney Island and 34 Street.