Subways vs Els

Bus Guy

I prefer Els for outskirts of a system and Subways for the core of a system, similar to how it is today. Many cities that have Metros do this because the outskirts of the city tend to be less dense and have more physical space for an El while the downtown cores are too dense to place Els (with the obvious exception of Chicago).

I will say, though, I'm biased toward beautiful Els because I was born in Vancouver. The Skytrain is a great example of efficient construction with prefab parts and effective design of the stations. While their coverage of the city leaves a bit to be desired, the look the system is spot on what a good system should look like. New York, if it ever decides to build a major elevated line (hopefully in Queens), I hope it looks to Vancouver as an example of a really good Metro.

Living less than half-a-block from the Jamaica El (Cypress Hills station), I'd prefer els over subways any day. It adds to the neighborhood, especially with the nice graffiti pieces on the walls nearby. I can hear the loud screeching of trains taking that bend on Jamaica and Crescent, two minutes later, I can hear that same train taking the bend on Fulton and Crescent. I love hearing the blast of the horns during the morning and evening skip stop service. NTM the sick track rythmes that can be heard as the trans rushes by. :cool:

As a school kid with a free bus and subway pass els were my way of exploring NYC and it's varied neighborhoods. There was always something new to see while on the els whereas true subways give a person no sense of the neighborhood above it. My rides on the Myrtle, Jamaica, Culver, Third Ave, and West End, among others, showed me neighborhoods that I have never forgotten. I can remember sitting in the family car, under the old Fulton St el at Van Siclen Ave, and wondering where that train went as it traveled e/b toward Queens. The (A) train ran directly below me toward it's Euclid Ave terminal in those days. Unfortunately the el was torn down shortly afterward so the first time I made it to Lefferts Ave it was on the (A) and Lefferts Avenue became Lefferts Boulevard instead. Els were always my favorite.

As a school kid with a free bus and subway pass els were my way of exploring NYC and it's varied neighborhoods. There was always something new to see while on the els whereas true subways give a person no sense of the neighborhood above it. My rides on the Myrtle, Jamaica, Culver, Third Ave, and West End, among others, showed me neighborhoods that I have never forgotten. I can remember sitting in the family car, under the old Fulton St el at Van Siclen Ave, and wondering where that train went as it traveled e/b toward Queens. The (A) train ran directly below me toward it's Euclid Ave terminal in those days. Unfortunately the el was torn down shortly afterward so the first time I made it to Lefferts Ave it was on the (A) and Lefferts Avenue became Lefferts Boulevard instead. Els were always my favorite.

Same here - I don't think I'd explore as much neigborhoods if it weren't for els along with my school pass. I've walked through countless neigborhoods including Gravesend, Midwood, Kensington, Bensonsonhurst, etc, etc. Just yesturday their wasn't any school, I decided to take advatage of my school pass and head up to the Bronx (walked down Weschester for a bit).

Living less than half-a-block from the Jamaica El (Cypress Hills station), I'd prefer els over subways any day. It adds to the neighborhood, especially with the nice graffiti pieces on the walls nearby. I can hear the loud screeching of trains taking that bend on Jamaica and Crescent, two minutes later, I can hear that same train taking the bend on Fulton and Crescent. I love hearing the blast of the horns during the morning and evening skip stop service. NTM the sick track rythmes that can be heard as the trans rushes by. :cool:

This is what I'm talkin about! :cool:

Actually you get used to the noise. I remember being young, and being really annoyed with the West End Line. It takes some time to get used to it, but once you do the sounds of the trains put you to sleep.

LOL, I forgot to mention that you have to get use to it, but once you get use to it, the sound is awesome! for most people.

Actually you get used to the noise. I remember being young, and being really annoyed with the West End Line. It takes some time to get used to it, but once you do the sounds of the trains put you to sleep.
If I were to choose between dealing with loud ruckus from neighbors in an apartment building or dealing with the noise from elevated trains, I'd definitely pick the latter.

Archived