What would you think of an extension of the BX24?

TriboroughBridge

If more service is needed two options

1.Run Bx24 short turns between Westchester Square and the Hutchinson Metro Center (the short turns could run until midnight if needed)

2. Extend the Bx4 to the Hutchinson Metro Center

Country Club won't have to complain about anymore buses (though extra service could always end at Pelham Bay Park instead of Westchester Square if ever needed)

And who says that more service is so badly needed? In other words, who is yelling out for more service?

Simply put(from my point of view): it's a hospital. Doesn't a hospital become first priority? As is said above, the shuttle is now discontinued.

Simply put(from my point of view): it's a hospital. Doesn't a hospital become first priority? As is said above, the shuttle is now discontinued.

That still doesn't answer the question.  Plenty of areas have 30 minute service levels and their buses run by hospitals. Heck one neighborhood lost weekend service to the hospital, so that doesn't mean anything. If the community wants the additional service they'll lobby for it, and if they don't want the extra buses then they'll speak out about it.  There are some parts of this city that are isolated and people move there because they like it isolated and quiet.  My neighborhood is certainly like that.  We had several people at a transportation meeting that spoke out against having more Metro-North shuttles run in their area (west of Henry Hudson Parkway is very quiet with very little traffic) as they complained about noise levels and pollution, and quite frankly I don't blame them.  I currently live on a very quiet street and would fight vehemently to stop any sort of development that would disturb my living situation with increased traffic or noise.  

Country Club is an isolated area too that is heavily residential, and its clear that the residents there like it nice and quiet.  

That still doesn't answer the question.  Plenty of areas have 30 minute service levels and their buses run by hospitals. Heck one neighborhood lost weekend service to the hospital, so that doesn't mean anything. If the community wants the additional service they'll lobby for it, and if they don't want the extra buses then they'll speak out about it.  There are some parts of this city that are isolated and people move there because they like it isolated and quiet.  My neighborhood is certainly like that.  We had several people at a transportation meeting that spoke out against having more Metro-North shuttles run in their area (west of Henry Hudson Parkway is very quiet with very little traffic) as they complained about noise levels and pollution, and quite frankly I don't blame them.  I currently live on a very quiet street and would fight vehemently to stop any sort of development that would disturb my living situation with increased traffic or noise.  

Country Club is an isolated area too that is heavily residential, and its clear that the residents there like it nice and quiet.  

The point I am trying to make is that the hospital takes full priority and if the residents of the Country Club(many of who are elderly themselves) do not like this, I suggest they re-evaluate their situation. On my walking of routes, I am planning to do the 24 very soon(I did the 23 today) and will see this situation for myself. As such, BusTime showed a 3rd bus on the 24. It's a nice start and obviously no objections.

The point I am trying to make is that the hospital takes full priority and if the residents of the Country Club(many of who are elderly themselves) do not like this, I suggest they re-evaluate their situation. On my walking of routes, I am planning to do the 24 very soon(I did the 23 today) and will see this situation for myself. As such, BusTime showed a 3rd bus on the 24. It's a nice start and obviously no objections.

Full priority to what?  The bus runs from Country Club to the hospital so if they're satisfied with the service they have then that's what it is.  For what it's worth, what happens with bus lines have a lot to do with what the community says about them.  You're trying to argue that because there's a hospital nearby, that automatically means that buses should run more frequently, which makes absolutely no sense at all.  If that's the case then quite a few other buses should run more frequently just because they pass by a hospital.  LOL  If the Bx24 is serving the needs of Country Club, then that's what matters, and I see no need to run buses any more than every half hour unless those buses are overcrowded.  If they aren't then the frequencies should remain as is.  I'm going to be using the Bx20 this week to avoid the traffic mess and the frequencies are every 15 minutes.  The bus passes by NewYork-Presbyterian so I guess the headways should be every 10 minutes because of that, even though it's basically providing shuttle bus service from Fieldston down to the (1) train and the (A) train.  <_<

Uhhh....there haven't been any complaints about the Bx24....

If anything, most of the elderly folks that live there applaud it and dislike it. Some applaud it because it's a direct route to and from the hospital, and some dislike it because the shuttle ran more frequently than the Bx24...

Ya'll just started an argument for nothing....

If anything, most of the elderly folks that live there applaud it and dislike it. Some applaud it because it's a direct route to and from the hospital, and some dislike it because the shuttle ran more frequently than the Bx24...

Not I.... He's the one that thinks the Bx24 should run more frequently, while I've been asking him why if the community (Country Club) likes the service as it is... He seems to think that the bus should run more frequently because it runs to the hospital... 

Not I.... He's the one that thinks the Bx24 should run more frequently, while I've been asking him why if the community (Country Club) likes the service as it is... He seems to think that the bus should run more frequently because it runs to the hospital... 

Unnecessary. Folks seem to have forgotten about the shit storm that occurred when the Bx8 got sent up there to CC....which is why we have this Bx24.

Just because a bus runs near a hospital doesn't mean it needs more service. That would mean unnecessary cuts to other services.

Plus, the hospital would get priority IF...and ONLY IF they requested for extra service and if the demand is high enough for the extra service. Every 20 minutes isn't that bad of a deal.

Unnecessary. Folks seem to have forgotten about the shit storm that occurred when the Bx8 got sent up there to CC....which is why we have this Bx24.

Just because a bus runs near a hospital doesn't mean it needs more service. That would mean unnecessary cuts to other services.

Having read all of your posts from this thread, i'll hold my tongue for the sake of not getting in trouble. Lest we forget the outrage these same folks had when the Bx14 was cut. Furthermore, the bus serves both the Country Club AND the Hutchinson Metro Center, not just the Country Club. I don't know about headways and all, but that is not the point. I'm just saying run more than 2 buses. As I stated earlier, a 3rd bus has been added and I will be in the area, so let's agree to disagree for now because, as you said, this argument is silly.

Having read all of your posts from this thread, i'll hold my tongue for the sake of not getting in trouble. Lest we forget the outrage these same folks had when the Bx14 was cut. Furthermore, the bus serves both the Country Club AND the Hutchinson Metro Center, not just the Country Club. I don't know about headways and all, but that is not the point. I'm just saying run more than 2 buses. As I stated earlier, a 3rd bus has been added and I will be in the area, so let's agree to disagree for now because, as you said, this argument is silly.

There's 3-4 buses covering the line, which should be more than enough to meet with the requirements.

Yeah, they serve both sections, but you also have to remember, hospital services and passengers alike also have a say in how much service they want. If the hospital requires more buses because of passenger demand, they'll likely get it. There have been times where the MTA has ran extra buses to hospital services when they said that the demand is high enough. Running more buses on a line that hardly carries any people, when this line in particular hardly has any fully seated rides and standees is the plot for a service cut.

A prime example of which service was increased to a hospital because of the demand is at Bellevue Hospital, the demand was high enough for the M9 to be extended over there. The M9 serves two hospitals, V.A and Bellevue. If the Bx24 sees a ridership increase, sure, add some extra buses, but you gotta justify the extra buses with the ridership. If more buses carry less, that'll cause problems.

Archived