Official MTA Video: Essex St Trolley Terminal

MTAFan

For the last time - there is ONE transit museum for a reason. When you make more you weaken a museum that needs to fight for every dollar it gets as it is by potentially halving their attendance, adding a bunch of expansion costs, and doubling their operating costs. You also piss off every visitor who goes and sees one thing, then wants to see something else, and is told they have to go to a different BOROUGH if they want to see that thing.

Just because a few buffs on a message board think loop trolley tracks (which mind you are very tight radius turns a subway car could never make without causing serious damage to undercar equipment) might make for a nice second museum at a location with no platforms does not make it in any way a good idea.

For the last time - there is ONE transit museum for a reason. When you make more you weaken a museum that needs to fight for every dollar it gets as it is by potentially halving their attendance, adding a bunch of expansion costs, and doubling their operating costs. You also piss off every visitor who goes and sees one thing, then wants to see something else, and is told they have to go to a different BOROUGH if they want to see that thing.

Just because a few buffs on a message board think loop trolley tracks (which mind you are very tight radius turns a subway car could never make without causing serious damage to undercar equipment) might make for a nice second museum at a location with no platforms does not make it in any way a good idea.

It was a joke...

i think its interesting the MTA is seeing this property and i saw the video its cool but i really wish trollies would come back and maybe they can use the terminal again.

i want streetcars and light Rail again in NYC maybe this would be a new start for a brand new terminal for a revived trolley terminal?

i think its interesting the MTA is seeing this property and i saw the video its cool but i really wish trollies would come back and maybe they can use the terminal again.

i want streetcars and light Rail again in NYC maybe this would be a new start for a brand new terminal for a revived trolley terminal?

With Manhattan's traffic and basically traffic almost everywhere, I can hardly see trolleys and light rails coming back. Unless we are talking literally in the lightly congested areas and suburban areas.

Unlikely, as much as that would be nice to see. The only place trolleys have been talked about half seriously is Red Hook, but getting to Red Hook from the other side of the Willy B is not a route they'd ever consider because of all the other high priced neighborhoods (ie Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, etc.) that would have to sign off on the idea also. You'd also need trolley tracks over the bridge to do that.

You won't see trolleys in Manhattan.

Archived