LIB reasoning for a sunday schedule

Marctalky1

The schedule is outdated they did not roll back the fare a bus op told me this a week ago. When I used S92

Hmmm...the schedule is dated December 2011 but it might as well be a typo since the 10C schedule is still 9/12/11, showing no Sunday service and the higher fare.

I know that some of you won't like this answer, but if you live in Nassau and you don't have a car, you're screwed. Just wait for a year or 2 and Veolia gets entrenced in there. If you think it's bad now..............

Plus, there is an ecomomic issue. 12/26 was a paid holiday as per contract. Whoever works gets double time................just like any other holiday.

Don't I know it...

I'm still shocked that those were the first two routes to get Sunday service. The S1 is the most frequent bus in Suffolk, and the S40 and S45 are also fairly frequent (for Suffolk), so you'd think they'd get it first. Maybe it's just politics.

- S40 I can agree with you on....

I could maybe see that being a candidate for sunday service... ridership is stable on that route from end to end in either direction, even on saturdays...

- S45 though, nah, saturday ridership is erratic (one bus can be packed to the gills, and the next bus hardly has anyone on it), and NB buses tend to have more ppl. on em than SB buses.... here's what it is...

even though the 45 is more "direct", the S41 is still more sought after if you're traveling b/w bay shore & brentwood.... b/w brentwood & central islip, the 3D is more sought after... past central islip (meaning b/w central islip & rt. 25/25a), buses are almost empty, since you don't have people heading to the county offices....

drivers have a tendency to stop dead at rt. 25 (where the 56/58 runs along) & turn right back around @ head towards the south shore mall & bayshore (meaning they don't serve LIRR smithtown)....

What Moron decided to put a sunday schedule for today? because of it I had to waste extra money getting home. That last n79 to plainview was at 6 25 from Mineola which is nuts. I finished my first day of job training in levittown of the N73 which had no bus service today. Just because offices were closed does't mean retail stores were open ETC.

Weren't LIB's running on a Sunday schedule for the past month? :P

- S45 though, nah, saturday ridership is erratic (one bus can be packed to the gills, and the next bus hardly has anyone on it), and NB buses tend to have more ppl. on em than SB buses.... here's what it is...

even though the 45 is more "direct", the S41 is still more sought after if you're traveling b/w bay shore & brentwood.... b/w brentwood & central islip, the 3D is more sought after... past central islip (meaning b/w central islip & rt. 25/25a), buses are almost empty, since you don't have people heading to the county offices....

drivers have a tendency to stop dead at rt. 25 (where the 56/58 runs along) & turn right back around @ head towards the south shore mall & bayshore (meaning they don't serve LIRR smithtown)....

When you say "packed", I assume you just mean a few standees, right?

As for the buses turning around at Rt. 25/25A, is it because of a lack of running time? I mean, it's one thing to do that on a route where the next bus is 15 minutes away (I mean, as a passenger, I'd still be pissed), but if the next bus is 45-60 minutes away, that's unfair to the few passengers that might be waiting at the stop. I mean, if you're a regular you can just walk a few blocks to Rt. 111, but if you just came off the LIRR, it's unfair that you have to run to Rt. 111 because the bus might not go all the way to Smithtown.

As for the buses turning around at Rt. 25/25A, is it because of a lack of running time? I mean, it's one thing to do that on a route where the next bus is 15 minutes away (I mean, as a passenger, I'd still be pissed), but if the next bus is 45-60 minutes away, that's unfair to the few passengers that might be waiting at the stop. I mean, if you're a regular you can just walk a few blocks to Rt. 111, but if you just came off the LIRR, it's unfair that you have to run to Rt. 111 because the bus might not go all the way to Smithtown.

That's Suffolk Bus Corp for ya. Many times the 6A never goes into that Senior Housing in Ronkonkoma even though its supposed to. I've seen S66s skip the college in Riverhead too. They are not a great company, which is why I bemoan the loss of CBS Lines to them. CBS Lines usually never pulled that stuff. Suffolk Bus also often has buses with no heat or A/C. I remember those chilly mornings when I used to sometimes take the 3D, and freezing my arse off on the bus with no heat. Then in summer baking on an S41 with no a/c. Suffolk Bus sucks, I mean, they are a SCHOOL BUS company.

EBT is just as bad if not worse and they get Inter-County's routes. And one more thing about Suffolk Bus, they hate cameras, they've yelled at me for taking photos as well as others.

Well all I know is I dread having to deal with this stuff on the S62 and S58.

I know I can look forward to buses skipping my stop and taking shortcuts and I'll have to wait another hour...in fact just the other week the 6A I was on decided not to go all the way down to Paul's Path from Coram and take a shortcut down 4th instead, then skipped the Ronkonkoma Senior Housing stop and this was the last bus of the night!

I've complained to the county in the past, but Suffolk Bus Corp gets rewarded with even more routes.

that's suffolk bus corp for ya. Many times the 6a never goes into that senior housing in ronkonkoma even though its supposed to. I've seen s66s skip the college in riverhead too. They are not a great company, which is why i bemoan the loss of cbs lines to them. Cbs lines usually never pulled that stuff. Suffolk bus also often has buses with no heat or a/c. I remember those chilly mornings when i used to sometimes take the 3d, and freezing my arse off on the bus with no heat. Then in summer baking on an s41 with no a/c. Suffolk bus sucks, i mean, they are a school bus company.

Ebt is just as bad if not worse and they get inter-county's routes. And one more thing about suffolk bus, they hate cameras, they've yelled at me for taking photos as well as others.

Well all i know is i dread having to deal with this stuff on the s62 and s58.

I know i can look forward to buses skipping my stop and taking shortcuts and i'll have to wait another hour...in fact just the other week the 6a i was on decided not to go all the way down to paul's path from coram and take a shortcut down 4th instead, then skipped the ronkonkoma senior housing stop and this was the last bus of the night!

I've complained to the county in the past, but suffolk bus corp gets rewarded with even more routes.

ebt blows they dont take n54 transfers!!!

1) No... I mean to the point where you can hardly get on (if you're attempting to get on b/w S. Shore mall & LIRR Brentwood; not inclusive).... usually happens when the 45 arrives before the 41 at LIRR bayshore... and then you get all the folks from south shore mall tryna get to brentwood (if the 45 comes before the 3b, forget it)....

If you're waiting at brentwood & see nobody on the 3b (this is NB I'm talkin about), guaranteed the next 45 coming is gonna be crushloaded.... happened everytime I had to stand & wait at that dump (bus stop @ LIRR Brentwood), back when I had to take the 3d for an old assignment a couple yrs. back.....

2) Simply put, I think it's just laziness.... going on an assumption that no one will be waiting at LIRR Smithtown (most times the guess/assumption would be right, but if you're aiding in performing a service, you shouldn't take that chance)....

as pinepower told you, there's does exist the skipping of certain destinations that goes on out in Suffolk.... If I had to pick something I dislike about SCT, that would be it....

(I even been on a 3D where 4 of us were on the bus, and the driver asked us if you guys need smith haven... we all said no.... driver bypassed smith haven !)

I've seen S66s skip the college in Riverhead too

I've also been on 66's that did that.... the one time I never forget though was, when it went straight from the county offices to (the 68 & 90 terminal in) ctr. moriches without stopping once....

1) No... I mean to the point where you can hardly get on (if you're attempting to get on b/w S. Shore mall & LIRR Brentwood; not inclusive).... usually happens when the 45 arrives before the 41 at LIRR bayshore... and then you get all the folks from south shore mall tryna get to brentwood (if the 45 comes before the 3b, forget it)....

If you're waiting at brentwood & see nobody on the 3b (this is NB I'm talkin about), guaranteed the next 45 coming is gonna be crushloaded.... happened everytime I had to stand & wait at that dump (bus stop @ LIRR Brentwood), back when I had to take the 3d for an old assignment a couple yrs. back.....

2) Simply put, I think it's just laziness.... going on an assumption that no one will be waiting at LIRR Smithtown (most times the guess/assumption would be right, but if you're aiding in performing a service, you shouldn't take that chance)....

as pinepower told you, there's does exist the skipping of certain destinations that goes on out in Suffolk.... If I had to pick something I dislike about SCT, that would be it....

(I even been on a 3D where 4 of us were on the bus, and the driver asked us if you guys need smith haven... we all said no.... driver bypassed smith haven !)

3) I've also been on 66's that did that.... the one time I never forget though was, when it went straight from the county offices to (the 68 & 90 terminal in) ctr. moriches without stopping once....

1) Yikes!

So do people use the 3A and S45/3B interchangably, or is the 3A too circuitous between Brentwood and the South Shore Mall?

And assuming the S45 and 3B are spaced out evenly, what would the loads look like on each route? I assume since the 3B doesn't serve Bay Shore that the S45 sees more people per bus. And how is ridership between the two points (in the residential neighborhoods, so a lot of people get on at the stops?)

2) And here I am complaining whenever the S62/S92 bypass that stop by CSI. Makes you feel grateful for what you have...

3) Damn.

Do you think the S66 could get some riders at the Speonk LIRR station (or from the surrounding area), if it went down Speonk-Riverhead Road instead of Riverhead-Moriches Road? It would make it less tempting to bypass the SCC campus.

I mean, it's sad that it has to come down to that, where drivers can't be trusted to make a major stop like that.

1) Yikes!

So do people use the 3A and S45/3B interchangably, or is the 3A too circuitous between Brentwood and the South Shore Mall?

And assuming the S45 and 3B are spaced out evenly, what would the loads look like on each route? I assume since the 3B doesn't serve Bay Shore that the S45 sees more people per bus. And how is ridership between the two points (in the residential neighborhoods, so a lot of people get on at the stops?)

2) And here I am complaining whenever the S62/S92 bypass that stop by CSI. Makes you feel grateful for what you have...

3) Damn.

Do you think the S66 could get some riders at the Speonk LIRR station (or from the surrounding area), if it went down Speonk-Riverhead Road instead of Riverhead-Moriches Road? It would make it less tempting to bypass the SCC campus.

I mean, it's sad that it has to come down to that, where drivers can't be trusted to make a major stop like that.

1) I wouldn't exactly say that the 45 & 3b are used interchanagbly... but empty 3b's & packed 45's was just something I happened to notice while waitin for the 3d....

noticing the amt. of folks on 3a's & 3b's gettin on/off @ LIRR brentwood, I would say the usage of both routes are just about equal (both directions)... if those 2 routes are used interchangably though, I wouldn't know.....

2) you aint kiddin....

3) iono, it might make it more tempting, due to the fact that you would now be making the runtime longer on the 66 having it go to/through eastport & speonk.... once it hits it, they'd shoot up speonk-riverhead rd - on top of continuing to shoot up the rest of 51 (riverhead-moriches rd) nonstop to drop off pax where riders boarding w/i patchogue & mastic/shirley are ultimately tryna get to... which of course, is riverhead....

to answer your question though, I don't think sending 66's down there would be much of a benefit...

That's Suffolk Bus Corp for ya. Many times the 6A never goes into that Senior Housing in Ronkonkoma even though its supposed to. I've seen S66s skip the college in Riverhead too. They are not a great company, which is why I bemoan the loss of CBS Lines to them. CBS Lines usually never pulled that stuff. Suffolk Bus also often has buses with no heat or A/C. I remember those chilly mornings when I used to sometimes take the 3D, and freezing my arse off on the bus with no heat. Then in summer baking on an S41 with no a/c. Suffolk Bus sucks, I mean, they are a SCHOOL BUS company.

EBT is just as bad if not worse and they get Inter-County's routes. And one more thing about Suffolk Bus, they hate cameras, they've yelled at me for taking photos as well as others.

Suffolk Bus Corp is the SISTER company to a School Bus Company (Suffolk Transportation Service, Inc) and share some depots with its sister company.

S66 drivers skip SCCC campus in Riverhead on the way to Riverhead,when no one has to get off, most drivers ask before they reach the campus if anyone needs to get off.

What Senior Housing in Ronkonkoma is the 6A suppose to stop at, there is no mention of one on the 6A schedule.

Everytime I took a Suffolk Bus Corp route there has been heat or A/C, did you try asking the driver to turn on the heat or A/C?

The S92 and 10C now cost $2 a ride year round. Sunday service on those routes run during the summer only. According to last summer's stats, it paid for itself except for paratransit.

The Paratransit probably cost more because SCAT service is run by one company (Suffolk Bus Corp), which of course isn't once of the companies that ran the routes that operated the Sunday Service.

The fare hike started 2 weeks before the Sunday service started, and the statement was issued a few weeks after it ended. So I would assume that two more weeks of fares than service balanced out. But they also said that having 3 paratransit vans on standby ran them in to the red by quite a bit and that taxis will be used next year to limit cost.

An original proposal to raise the fare to $2 countywide and start a Sunday pilot on more routes passed the legislature but was vetoed by Levy who stated that only routes with Sunday service should bear the higher fare. Some east end politicians decided to challenge that point with another measure that passed and was signed and led to the S92/10C pilot. S92 also had the highest Saturday ridership of all. There is no mention in the bill of year round or seasonal service.

I didn't hear anything about taxis being used to limit any cost, but nothing further has been said about when Sunday Service will appear back on those two routes.

The original proposal was for a $2 fare increase system wide with only Selected routes (non ever mentioned) getting Sunday Service, Levy vetoed it because it was unfair for all riders to pay for fare increase when they may not get the Service. Levy said he would only approve Sunday Service if only routes with Sunday service should bear the higher fare The Legislature was only able to agree with the S92/10C getting the pilot service because it was pushed by Legislator Romaine and Schneiderman were pushing for it and the others didn't like how the plan worked in the first place.

1) I wouldn't exactly say that the 45 & 3b are used interchanagbly... but empty 3b's & packed 45's was just something I happened to notice while waitin for the 3d....

noticing the amt. of folks on 3a's & 3b's gettin on/off @ LIRR brentwood, I would say the usage of both routes are just about equal (both directions)... if those 2 routes are used interchangably though, I wouldn't know.....

2) iono, it might make it more tempting, due to the fact that you would now be making the runtime longer on the 66 having it go to/through eastport & speonk.... once it hits it, they'd shoot up speonk-riverhead rd - on top of continuing to shoot up the rest of 51 (riverhead-moriches rd) nonstop to drop off pax where riders boarding w/i patchogue & mastic/shirley are ultimately tryna get to... which of course, is riverhead....

to answer your question though, I don't think sending 66's down there would be much of a benefit...

1) I see...

2) Alright. And I guess based on what mac5689 said, they skip it going northbound more often than southbound.

Is there any real way of solving the problem? Or it's just not enough runs where they're skipping it to justify doing anything (maybe running some more 8A service or something)

S66 drivers skip SCCC campus in Riverhead on the way to Riverhead,when no one has to get off, most drivers ask before they reach the campus if anyone needs to get off.

What Senior Housing in Ronkonkoma is the 6A suppose to stop at, there is no mention of one on the 6A schedule.

Except that if somebody is waiting at SCC and wants to go to Riverhead (which isn't unrealistic, especially since it's a transfer point), they're forced to wait another 30 minutes for the 8A.

And in B35's case, they skipped the stop going towards Patchogue (since he said it made no stops from the County offices to the Moriches), meaning that they didn't even have another route as an alternative.

1) I see...

2) Alright. And I guess based on what mac5689 said, they skip it going northbound more often than southbound.

Is there any real way of solving the problem? Or it's just not enough runs where they're skipping it to justify doing anything (maybe running some more 8A service or something)

Except that if somebody is waiting at SCC and wants to go to Riverhead (which isn't unrealistic, especially since it's a transfer point), they're forced to wait another 30 minutes for the 8A.

And in B35's case, they skipped the stop going towards Patchogue (since he said it made no stops from the County offices to the Moriches), meaning that they didn't even have another route as an alternative.

I tell ya if they pull that stuff again and I'm on the bus I'm recording it. I know Suffolk Bus Corp dont like cameras so if the b/o has a problem he can call the cops...I'm sorry if I'm bitter but CBS was a damn good company and it sucks to see them taken over by a lousy one.

And I aint making the camera thing up, I got yelled at TWICE on the S66 for filming the ride on rt.51 several years back. I was more nieve back then, today I wont take that garbage...

I tell ya if they pull that stuff again and I'm on the bus I'm recording it. I know Suffolk Bus Corp dont like cameras so if the b/o has a problem he can call the cops...I'm sorry if I'm bitter but CBS was a damn good company and it sucks to see them taken over by a lousy one.

And I aint making the camera thing up, I got yelled at TWICE on the S66 for filming the ride on rt.51 several years back. I was more nieve back then, today I wont take that garbage...

try smartphone on armband no one will Know!!!!!!

Checkmate the S66 DOES NOT need speonk Last I went there that part of suffolk is empty that will only piss off S66 riders and decrease ridership. 8A can be merged out with S92 if S92 is split into 2 routes that is.

try smartphone on armband no one will Know!!!!!!

Checkmate the S66 DOES NOT need speonk Last I went there that part of suffolk is empty that will only piss off S66 riders and decrease ridership. 8A can be merged out with S92 if S92 is split into 2 routes that is.

I agree, and I think the S66 needs more service. It gets packed and only has hourly headways. I think the bulk of the ridership is between Riverhead and Shirley. The S90 hardly carries anyone, but I bet that would change if the

S90 was extended to Shirley!

Also the last S66 to Patchogue is at 6pm, which gets really packed. There's another S66 that comes into Riverhead before 7pm but it goes OOS and deadheads back, which is stupid, it should do a final run to Patchogue.

Ideally, I'd have the S66 run every 30 minutes, with every other run doing the Mastic Beach detour. The S68 would be discontinued, and the S90 would be merged with the 10D/E, and run from Riverhead to Hampton Bays, via Westhampton and Quogue. This would also provide a much needed alternative for Hampton Bays - Riverhead riders when the S92 is overcrowded.

I agree, and I think the S66 needs more service. It gets packed and only has hourly headways. I think the bulk of the ridership is between Riverhead and Shirley. The S90 hardly carries anyone, but I bet that would change if the

S90 was extended to Shirley!

Also the last S66 to Patchogue is at 6pm, which gets really packed. There's another S66 that comes into Riverhead before 7pm but it goes OOS and deadheads back, which is stupid, it should do a final run to Patchogue.

Ideally, I'd have the S66 run every 30 minutes, with every other run doing the Mastic Beach detour. The S68 would be discontinued, and the S90 would be merged with the 10D/E, and run from Riverhead to Hampton Bays, via Westhampton and Quogue. This would also provide a much needed alternative for Hampton Bays - Riverhead riders when the S92 is overcrowded.

good but again areas served by S90 are deserted. Agree with S66 though BUT I am a bit different based on observations in suffolk for over a year and experiences on several lines. I think S60 should extend to shirley replacing 7E/D which get merged with S60 and S76 which merges with 5A then hits william floyd then eats 7d/e with bidirectional straightened service. Let S66 and S92 merge out 8A partially. But instead of making an S92 alternative make it more frequent.

I agree, and I think the S66 needs more service. It gets packed and only has hourly headways. I think the bulk of the ridership is between Riverhead and Shirley. The S90 hardly carries anyone, but I bet that would change if the S90 was extended to Shirley!

Ideally, I'd have the S66 run every 30 minutes, with every other run doing the Mastic Beach detour.

The S68 would be discontinued, and the S90 would be merged with the 10D/E, and run from Riverhead to Hampton Bays, via Westhampton and Quogue. This would also provide a much needed alternative for Hampton Bays - Riverhead riders when the S92 is overcrowded.

If the S90 was extended to Shirley, it would still have poor ridership (you would have to change the overall makeup/structure of the route; IMO, it's one of, if not the most useless route in all the county !).... and I beg to differ about the bulk of S66 ridership being on the eastern half of the route (between Shirley & Riverhead)...

What I will agree with, is 66's needing to run on 1/2-hourly headways.... If you see a swarm of folks waiting inside the parking lot (patchogue courthouse), it's either for the 40 or the 66....

Your little idea in the last paragraph, I don't quite get.... you'd discontinue the S68 (the 7b alone is inadequate for folks in north bellport) and have the 90 run from hampton bays to riverhead through quogue, etc....

^^ For that to be an alternative, you would have to schedule it in-between the times when the S92's running.... In other words, if the S92 is scheduled to reach hampton bays every "on the :00's", you'd need to schedule your S90 every "on the :30's" (as to where you'd have some type of service out there b/w hampton bays & riverhead every 1/2 hour).... If you run your 90 too close (time-wise) to the S92, folks are simply gonna wait for the 92... guaranteed.

I just noticed your edit to your reply; last thing I remember seeing was just the "alright"...

Anyway, as far as NB vs SB, I really haven't noticed... most the times I've taken the 66, it's been towards riverhead....

Not sure if there's any realistic way of solving the problem; I don't think buses are that late to the point where some b/o's feel the need to skip it.... running more 8a service won't fix the problem; it'd make it worse (i.e., "let the 8a handle that")....

I'd laugh when I used to take the 3d coming home from stony brook (which would have a good crowd on em), when you had pax waiting at LIRR central islip (and other points along the way), and it would bypass those stops if no one was gettin off... it was like the driver knew the 45 would be right behind to pick those ppl up..... the funny thing was, when I'd get off the 3d @ brentwood, the 45 would be like 5 mins behind it.... (i.e. "let the 45 handle that").... It's the wrong mentality to have, but talk about knowing your route/surroundings.....

By the way, how do transfers work? Right now, you pay $1.75 if you want a transfer, so is the transfer good on the S92 or do you have to pay an extra $0.25? How about if you start on the S92? Do you have to pay $2.25?

Don't forget transfer fee is 25 cent.

I agree with you. I am curious how riders will connect also.

Slightly little off-topic, relative:

When I always get transfer from $2.25 Bee-Line Bus to $3.00 Tappan Zee Express or $2.50 CT Transit I-Bus, TZX or CT Transit B/O just accept transfers without step out charge.

1) Don't forget transfer fee is 25 cent.

I agree with you. I am curious how riders will connect also.

2) Slightly little off-topic, relative:

When I always get transfer from $2.25 Bee-Line Bus to $3.00 Tappan Zee Express or $2.50 CT Transit I-Bus, TZX or CT Transit B/O just accept transfers without step out charge.

1) I know that. The regular fare is $1.50, plus $0.25 for the transfer brings it up to $1.75. That's why I was talking about $1.75 and $2.25, rather than the base fares, which are $1.50 and $2 respectively.

2) Does the farebox say anything? Or the B/O just waves you on?

I'd laugh when I used to take the 3d coming home from stony brook (which would have a good crowd on em), when you had pax waiting at LIRR central islip (and other points along the way), and it would bypass those stops if no one was gettin off... it was like the driver knew the 45 would be right behind to pick those ppl up..... the funny thing was, when I'd get off the 3d @ brentwood, the 45 would be like 5 mins behind it.... (i.e. "let the 45 handle that").... It's the wrong mentality to have, but talk about knowing your route/surroundings.....

Where is the stop for the east/north bound 3D at Central Islip LIRR? I have to make a somewhat tight transfer there soon and I don't want to miss the bus looking for the stop. Street View doesn't show a definitive bus stop, like it does for Brentwood.

Where is the stop for the east/north bound 3D at Central Islip LIRR? I have to make a somewhat tight transfer there soon and I don't want to miss the bus looking for the stop. Street View doesn't show a definitive bus stop, like it does for Brentwood.

along the eastbound side of suffolk av (meaning, on the same side of the road as the RR tracks), there's a niche in the road as soon as you get off the station.... it's a popular stop; almost always about at least a handful of folks waiting there; (mixture of college kids & {much as I hate to bring it up} day laborers)..... can't miss it...

strange that there's no bus stop showing on the street view.... far as I can recall, there weren't any shelters over there (like there are at brentwood), but there was a bus stop pole in the vicinity.....

there weren't any shelters over there (like there are at brentwood), but there was a bus stop pole in the vicinity.....

That may be why...street view in Suffolk is awfully low-res.

So I should see it immediately when I exit the station via the north platform, right?

That may be why...street view in Suffolk is awfully low-res.

So I should see it immediately when I exit the station via the north platform, right?

the NY (penn station) bound platform, yup...

there's a set of steps that leads you right to suffolk av... since you say you're tryin to make a tight connection, board the middle of the train to make life easier on yourself...

Archived