LIB reasoning for a sunday schedule

Marctalky1

That may be why...street view in Suffolk is awfully low-res.

So I should see it immediately when I exit the station via the north platform, right?

I know exactly how you feel every time I go to LI nassau or suffolk I end up with very tight connections all the time after a while you get used to it.

If the S90 was extended to Shirley, it would still have poor ridership (you would have to change the overall makeup/structure of the route; IMO, it's one of, if not the most useless route in all the county !).... and I beg to differ about the bulk of S66 ridership being on the eastern half of the route (between Shirley & Riverhead)...

What I will agree with, is 66's needing to run on 1/2-hourly headways.... If you see a swarm of folks waiting inside the parking lot (patchogue courthouse), it's either for the 40 or the 66....

Your little idea in the last paragraph, I don't quite get.... you'd discontinue the S68 (the 7b alone is inadequate for folks in north bellport) and have the 90 run from hampton bays to riverhead through quogue, etc....

^^ For that to be an alternative, you would have to schedule it in-between the times when the S92's running.... In other words, if the S92 is scheduled to reach hampton bays every "on the :00's", you'd need to schedule your S90 every "on the :30's" (as to where you'd have some type of service out there b/w hampton bays & riverhead every 1/2 hour).... If you run your 90 too close (time-wise) to the S92, folks are simply gonna wait for the 92... guaranteed.

Every other S66 would skip Mastic Beach as well as Lower Bellport, it would through North Bellport (following the S68 routing).

The S90 to Hampton Bays would have a similar schedule to that of today. It wouldn't run often (like both the 10D/E and the S90) but I think it would pick up some additional riders. I know what you're saying with people choosing the S92, but I still think there'd be some more people on the S90 bus since not everyone likes to take a jammed up, often late S92 and would love an alternate way of travel between HB and Riverhead.

Bottom line is the S66 and S92 have serious crowding issues and need help. Half hourly S66 service would come at the expense of the S68, but S68 stops would still be served by alternate S66s. The S92 between Hampton Bays and Riverhead is where it's most jammed, while the S90 runs mostly empty because few travel between Speonk, Westhampton, Quogue, and Riverhead. By extending to Hampton Bays (and abandoning the section of the route in Speonk and Moriches where S66 is nearby) the S90 would get additional ridership. I know I'd choose to take it when traveling between Hampton Bays and Riverhead because the S92 is one of the most awful ST routes, esp in summer. The S90 would sort of serve the purpose of why the N1 needs to run to Jamaica, serve as a "pressure reliever"...

I've been on plenty crush loaded S92's (and I'm talking pressed against the windshield) to know there needs to be another bus line between HB and Riverhead. Before the 40ft buses arrived often the S92 would flag people in Hampton Bays too. The bulk of the ridership on the S92 travels between Southampton, Hampton Bays, and Riverhead. I guarantee some of those crowds in HB would opt for the S90, esp when the Riverhead bound 92s arrive in HB already jammed and an S90 shows up a few minutes later.

1) I know that. The regular fare is $1.50, plus $0.25 for the transfer brings it up to $1.75. That's why I was talking about $1.75 and $2.25, rather than the base fares, which are $1.50 and $2 respectively.

2) Does the farebox say anything? Or the B/O just waves you on?

I meant to delete the first answer.

Every other S66 would skip Mastic Beach as well as Lower Bellport, it would through North Bellport (following the S68 routing).

The S90 to Hampton Bays would have a similar schedule to that of today. It wouldn't run often (like both the 10D/E and the S90) but I think it would pick up some additional riders. I know what you're saying with people choosing the S92, but I still think there'd be some more people on the S90 bus since not everyone likes to take a jammed up, often late S92 and would love an alternate way of travel between HB and Riverhead.

Bottom line is the S66 and S92 have serious crowding issues and need help. Half hourly S66 service would come at the expense of the S68, but S68 stops would still be served by alternate S66s. The S92 between Hampton Bays and Riverhead is where it's most jammed, while the S90 runs mostly empty because few travel between Speonk, Westhampton, Quogue, and Riverhead. By extending to Hampton Bays (and abandoning the section of the route in Speonk and Moriches where S66 is nearby) the S90 would get additional ridership. I know I'd choose to take it when traveling between Hampton Bays and Riverhead because the S92 is one of the most awful ST routes, esp in summer. The S90 would sort of serve the purpose of why the N1 needs to run to Jamaica, serve as a "pressure reliever"...

I've been on plenty crush loaded S92's (and I'm talking pressed against the windshield) to know there needs to be another bus line between HB and Riverhead. Before the 40ft buses arrived often the S92 would flag people in Hampton Bays too. The bulk of the ridership on the S92 travels between Southampton, Hampton Bays, and Riverhead. I guarantee some of those crowds in HB would opt for the S90, esp when the Riverhead bound 92s arrive in HB already jammed and an S90 shows up a few minutes later.

PM me I have some interesting things you may want to hear.

I meant to delete the first answer.

Alright, but when you dip in the transfer on the TZX or I-Bus, does the farebox say "Transfer OK" without saying anything like "Add Coins" or anything?

By the way, does anybody know if paper transfers work on the express bus (when you add $3.25 off course)?

Checkmate the S66 DOES NOT need speonk Last I went there that part of suffolk is empty that will only piss off S66 riders and decrease ridership. 8A can be merged out with S92 if S92 is split into 2 routes that is.

Google Transit has the route (by car) taking 19 minutes, and being 8.9 miles, and then the distance from SCC to Rt. 51 is 0.9 miles (2 minutes) so it seems to me that the time difference would be negligable (it supposedly takes 24 minutes via the longer route, so you're talking about 24-21 = 3 minutes saved)

But Pinepower's idea makes sense, but maybe it could be modified. You could have the (basically extended S68) trips travel via the longer route and the regular S66 trips travel the shorter route). The S90/10D/10E combo makes sense.

Just a suggestion.

Alright, but when you dip in the transfer on the TZX or I-Bus, does the farebox say "Transfer OK" without saying anything like "Add Coins" or anything?

By the way, does anybody know if paper transfers work on the express bus (when you add $3.25 off course)?

Google Transit has the route (by car) taking 19 minutes, and being 8.9 miles, and then the distance from SCC to Rt. 51 is 0.9 miles (2 minutes) so it seems to me that the time difference would be negligable (it supposedly takes 24 minutes via the longer route, so you're talking about 24-21 = 3 minutes saved)

But Pinepower's idea makes sense, but maybe it could be modified. You could have the (basically extended S68) trips travel via the longer route and the regular S66 trips travel the shorter route). The S90/10D/10E combo makes sense.

Just a suggestion.

not even close The S66 is too crowded to go through speonk too many ppl will be very angry!!!!!!! /they will NOT go for it no matter how good it looks. Agree with S90 merger not have you been there? S90 is useless and S92 is the most direct line ppl will not go for slow. All it will do is combine ridership I would merge 10A with S90 however to make it unique. 10E forget it.

S59 I would drop the segment south of sunvet mall reroute it via sunrise hwy

express to shirley bihourly trips eat the S90 and 10D the S90 loses center moriches routing to S59 that eats 10E via super express trips with stops at shirley LIRR. S59 south of the airport is transferred to rerouted S57 to speed up the line. And 6a is renumbered S6 and eats S57 south of hwy 454 via smith town ave. Duplication is killed as a result sort of. S59 gets more riders forcing service enhancements to every 40 mins and 20 mins rush hour. Automatic improvements for the 10 type of routes due to alternating trips.

However I would split S92 into 2 lines both with 30 min headways and 15 min headways one from E hampton to riverhead then LIE HOV via ronkonkoma and commack rd (select runs) to deer park outlets (select runs kill the 8A partially) The clipper is merged into it. S92 serves hauppauge. S93 is the orient point line eats parts of 8A via LIEHOV to yaphank then sunrise hwy select runs to turbo law center via manhattan ave the rest bay shore mall. Even with highway extensions their run times are still less than the S92's original form.

Yes I am a highway whore love buses on the highway and based on travel habits of LI folk they will love em too the express type nature will attract new ridership while consolidating the routes so the system is compressed into fewer but stronger routes.

PM me for details it works in series.

nope on TZX/Ibus the driver takes the transfer and puts it into a bag. Pper transfers DO NOT work on MTA express buses period. Only metrocards get free transfers on express buses

The S90 to Hampton Bays would have a similar schedule to that of today.

Yeah, and you can forget about it alleviating much of the crowding on the S92 then...

It's just that simple......

But Pinepower's idea makes sense, but maybe it could be modified. You could have the (basically extended S68) trips travel via the longer route and the regular S66 trips travel the shorter route).

The S90/10D/10E combo makes sense.

Problem is, he wants to keep similar service levels on the S90 though....

We're talking about a route that only has 4-5 trips in each direction.... For it to be a viable alternative to the S92, it's gonna have to run a hell of a lot more often than some every 3-4 hours, regardless of how low current ridership levels are on the 10d/10e/90.... yeah some will take it (when it comes), but it won't be (sufficient) enough to accomplish the task that it'd set out to do (taking enough folks off S92's).... There's another way to go about it....

I don't even wanna bother quoting Mr. I have a goddamn idea for everything, but there's long been a need to split the S92, and designate more of the service to the south fork.... That makes more sense than the way Pinepower wants to go about it (combining the 10D/10E/S90).....

As for Pinepower's S66/S68 thing, I don't have near as much of a problem with that..... it makes more sense than what the current S66 does (the split of service down south country rd... vs. it simply staying on montauk hwy).... diverting 66's up where the 68 currently serves (north of montauk hwy) will yield way more riders than the 66 spur along s. country..... But again, service would pretty much have to be increased to about every 1/2 hour......

CT Transit Farebox doesn't accept Paper Transfer, so passenger have to handed to driver, who waves you in. Driver doesn't say I have to paid 25 cent extra.

Tappan Zee Express does not have farebox, so passenger have to give transfer to driver, then driver waves you in.

Driver doesn't say I have to paid 75 cent.

Paper Transfer doesn't work on express buses and express buses including Atlantic Express X23/X24, $7.50 BxM4C does not issue paper transfer.

CT Transit Farebox doesn't accept Paper Transfer, so passenger have to handed to driver, who waves you in. Driver doesn't say I have to paid 25 cent extra.

Tappan Zee Express does not have farebox, so passenger have to give transfer to driver, then driver waves you in.

Driver doesn't say I have to paid 75 cent.

Paper Transfer doesn't work on express buses and express buses including Atlantic Express X23/X24, $7.50 BxM4C does not issue paper transfer.

already beat you to it:cool:

Yeah, and you can forget about it alleviating much of the crowding on the S92 then...

It's just that simple......

Problem is, he wants to keep similar service levels on the S90 though....

We're talking about a route that only has 4-5 trips in each direction.... For it to be a viable alternative to the S92, it's gonna have to run a hell of a lot more often than some every 3-4 hours, regardless of how low current ridership levels are on the 10d/10e/90.... yeah some will take it (when it comes), but it won't be (sufficient) enough to accomplish the task that it'd set out to do (taking enough folks off S92's).... There's another way to go about it....

I don't even wanna bother quoting Mr. I have a goddamn idea for everything, but there's long been a need to split the S92, and designate more of the service to the south fork.... That makes more sense than the way Pinepower wants to go about it (combining the 10D/10E/S90).....

As for Pinepower's S66/S68 thing, I don't have near as much of a problem with that..... it makes more sense than what the current S66 does (the split of service down south country rd... vs. it simply staying on montauk hwy).... diverting 66's up where the 68 currently serves (north of montauk hwy) will yield way more riders than the 66 spur along s. country..... But again, service would pretty much have to be increased to about every 1/2 hour......

yup you are definitely right about S66 I agree 100%. I will mention this to suffolk transit later on. I actually wrote many similar ideas to what you posted in one of my small books.

Still amazes me that the guy refuses to do anything useful with his life but cares about SCT as if he needs it. Well, he actually does when he goes on one of his wondrous trips out there, only to have more cannon fodder for his annoying channel.

Well hopefully after today I won't have to be home during the day because I have a job interview at 3. No I won't have a job filming busses or taking pictures of them but hey this job might be better then nothing.

Also the last S66 to Patchogue is at 6pm, which gets really packed. There's

Something must have changed, as back in the winter of '09, my sister while she was pregnant loved taken the last S66 from SCCC as it was almost empty instead of the 5pm run which she said was heavy.

Ideally, I'd have the S66..... with every other run doing the Mastic Beach detour.[/Quote]

The S66 use to do that I believe before it was extended to Riverhead, obviously it didn't work, and another thing The S68 normally doesn't pick up anyone to/From Center Moriches on the path that you want the S66 to go every other run.

Where is the stop for the east/north bound 3D at Central Islip LIRR? I have to make a somewhat tight transfer there soon and I don't want to miss the bus looking for the stop. Street View doesn't show a definitive bus stop, like it does for Brentwood.

Heading to Smith Haven Mall/Stony Brook the 3D stops after the intersection of Suffolk Ave and Carlton Ave/Wheeler Road, before the train station, or at the corner of Suffolk Ave and Lowell Ave, which is just after and across the street from the Railroad Station.

Last I knew there was a small bus shelter at the stop at Suffolk Ave and Carlton Ave/Wheeler Road, though I haven't been there in nearly a decade.

Heading to Brentwood the 3D stops on Suffolk Ave near the entrance to the Mulligan Intermediate School, or on Suffolk Ave near the Cherkers.

good but again areas served by S90 are deserted. Agree with S66 though BUT I am a bit different based on observations in suffolk for over a year and experiences on several lines. I think S60 should extend to shirley replacing 7E/D which get merged with S60 and S76 which merges with 5A then hits william floyd then eats 7d/e with bidirectional straightened service. Let S66 and S92 merge out 8A partially. But instead of making an S92 alternative make it more frequent.

All stupid Ideas.

The S76 was created to give service back to Stony Brook Village WHICH lost service thanks to the county AND the S60, second the S76 HELPS the S60 by giving riders along the stretch they share a :30 minute wait instead of an hour. If you really think the two should be combine then why not just extend the S76 to Smith Haven Mall Via St. James (Oh wait there was a route like that once, How Ironic if it were to br brought back)

The 7D/E should be combined into one route, which would give it better timing and would probably make it more useful.

The 5A shouldn't be extended to Shirley and neither should the S60. Shirley already has a route that goes to the North Shore (The S71) which gets bogged down and ends up running late, having a second route suffer the same fate would be horrible and would probably turn riders to other routes so they could avoid them which would make those other routes worse.

I'm sorry but sometimes people shouldn't be making ideas without actually knowing what they are talking about.

Still amazes me that the guy refuses to do anything useful with his life but cares about SCT as if he needs it. Well, he actually does when he goes on one of his wondrous trips out there, only to have more cannon fodder for his annoying channel.

I just cringe while reading this post....

All stupid Ideas.

The S76 was created to give service back to Stony Brook Village WHICH lost service thanks to the county AND the S60, second the S76 HELPS the S60 by giving riders along the stretch they share a :30 minute wait instead of an hour. If you really think the two should be combine then why not just extend the S76 to Smith Haven Mall Via St. James (Oh wait there was a route like that once, How Ironic if it were to br brought back)

The 7D/E should be combined into one route, which would give it better timing and would probably make it more useful.

The 5A shouldn't be extended to Shirley and neither should the S60. Shirley already has a route that goes to the North Shore (The S71) which gets bogged down and ends up running late, having a second route suffer the same fate would be horrible and would probably turn riders to other routes so they could avoid them which would make those other routes worse.

I'm sorry but sometimes people shouldn't be making ideas without actually knowing what they are talking about.

WOAH not exactly what I suggested at all I didn't say anything about combining S76 with S60 or S76 to smith haven never suggested any of that at all. So what bogs down the S71???

Plus my 5A merger with 7D/E(eastern portion) uses william floyd express down to shirley which provides an alternative to driving for those in the northern end of suffolk going south.

S71 according to your words needs to be streamlined right? OK hotshot HOW?

The thing is the S60/76 idea to merge out the 5A and 7D/E avoids the routing and areas that bogs down the S71. They use a direct path on the william floyd plus I used S66 along the 7D/E segment that part isn't very slow and william floyd is better than the routing S71 uses for sure. Plus it would give direct service to sound beach, rocky point and coram. Plus it mimicks where ppl drive so now they gain a new cheaper travel option. So it's very unlikely that the line will suffer the same fate as S71(it's deviations don't help the line either). In addition with timed transfers to S66 it may allow S66 to take a more direct routing to riverhead while reducing milage on S66 and consolidating routes to make better use of resources.

Is it true that S66 breaks down often?? Cause a passenger told me that while I was on it.

BEFORE BASHING PLEASE READ MY POST IT'S NOT A WALL OF TEXT READ MY POST!!!!!!! Then you will know what I am talking about.

WOAH not exactly what I suggested at all I didn't say anything about combining S76 with S60 or S76 to smith haven never suggested any of that at all. So what bogs down the S71???

Plus my 5A merger with 7D/E(eastern portion) uses william floyd express down to shirley which provides an alternative to driving for those in the northern end of suffolk going south.

S71 according to your words needs to be streamlined right? OK hotshot HOW?

The thing is the S60/76 idea to merge out the 5A and 7D/E avoids the routing and areas that bogs down the S71. They use a direct path on the william floyd plus I used S66 along the 7D/E segment that part isn't very slow and william floyd is better than the routing S71 uses for sure. Plus it would give direct service to sound beach, rocky point and coram. Plus it mimicks where ppl drive so now they gain a new cheaper travel option. So it's very unlikely that the line will suffer the same fate as S71(it's deviations don't help the line either). In addition with timed transfers to S66 it may allow S66 to take a more direct routing to riverhead while reducing milage on S66 and consolidating routes to make better use of resources.

Is it true that S66 breaks down often?? Cause a passenger told me that while I was on it.

BEFORE BASHING PLEASE READ MY POST IT'S NOT A WALL OF TEXT READ MY POST!!!!!!! Then you will know what I am talking about.

S61 gets bogged down on Nicholls, 347, and Horseblock, anyone who lived in those areas know that those roads are not really good during Rush Hours or anytime really.

The S66 hasn't had a breakdown in months I believe, its the S71 (bus #1062 actually) that has been breaking down nearly everyday last month with the same problem.

William Floyd is also a bad alternative to use as it can get backed up and people even speed, I mean the bus time to cross that road is before Lunch time if you are trying to cross north of Montauk. Also William Floyd is also known for having alot of accidents.

I'm sorry I read your post wrong I thought you meant merge the S76 with the S60 and then merge the 7D/E.

I never said the S71 needed to be "streamlined", I said that the 7D/E should be combined into one route so that it could maybe be a more effective route then it is now.

I still think you don't fully understand what you are talking about, since I live/lived in the those areas and have taken the buses/ seen the buses you have mentioned or talked about, I think I would know alittle more about what I'm talking about. Now I'm not trying to bash you, I'm sure you may have some ideas that would make sense, but the ones you mention are kinda idiotic, I mean they seem to be taken out of that 2009 bus study which had some idiotic ideas.

Archived