NYC Needs Light Rail

BrooklynBus

As someone that just returned from San Diego and seen first hand the widely succesful trolley/light rail system they have out there. The SD Trolley/light rail does great despite being in middle of the car captial of the world Southern Calif. I been calling for light rail in NYC mainly in the outerboros for years.

With that said, great article Alan.:tup:

Light rail is planned for Staten Island so it counts there.

It is not planned. It is merely being studied as one of three options. My bet is that the City will choose Select Bus Service over light rail, citing light rail as too expensive. I hope I am wrong, but if if the study was on the level, why wasn't heavy reail also studied as an option, and why is Scott Stringer already pushing for Select Bus Service?

It is not planned. It is merely being studied as one of three options. My bet is that the City will choose Select Bus Service over light rail, citing light rail as too expensive. I hope I am wrong, but if if the study was on the level, why wasn't heavy rail also studied as an option, and why is Scott Stringer already pushing for Select Bus Service?

Heavy rail was in the mix of ideas, but most Staten Islanders voted that out, and the majority of Staten Islanders don't want SBS because they believe that cars would take the majority of the bus way, and wouldn't improve mass transit on the island at all. They picked light rail. You can look it up.

Light rail is planned for Staten Island so it counts there.

On the West Shore Line, that's great, but on the North Shore Line, it's stupid.

It is not planned. It is merely being studied as one of three options. My bet is that the City will choose Select Bus Service over light rail, citing light rail as too expensive. I hope I am wrong, but if if the study was on the level, why wasn't heavy reail also studied as an option, and why is Scott Stringer already pushing for Select Bus Service?

It was studied at an option, but they dropped it because they're a bunch of complete morons. :mad::tdown:

They said "Oh, light rail can go to the Teleport, and you'll get a one-seat ride from St. George". I was like really??????? So somehow every single person who works in the Teleport lives on SI. Yeah, you get a one-seat ride to St. George, but in the event that you want to connect it to the rest of the system, you can't because it's light rail and the rest of the subway system is heavy rail.

So say, somebody comes from Manhattan. Under the heavy rail option, they could eventually be able to take the train to Arlington and then take a bus (the S46, or maybe they'll want to reroute some of the routes in that area) to reach the Teleport. So you have train + bus = two-seat ride.

Under the light rail option, they can send it to the Teleport, but they give up any hope of being able to connect it to the rest of the subway system. The best they can hope for is to extend the Main Line SIR to Manhattan, but even then that gives Teleport riders a two-seat ride anyway (either ferry + light rail or SIR + light rail). And not only that, but the entire North Shore is forced to deal with at least a two-seat ride to get home, rather than just the Teleport riders having to deal with it.

Heavy rail was in the mix of ideas, but most Staten Islanders voted that out, and the majority of Staten Islanders don't want SBS because they believe that cars would take the majority of the bus way, and wouldn't improve mass transit on the island at all. They picked light rail. You can look it up.

If by "they", you mean "the people in charge of the project", then yes they voted it out. But if by "they", you mean "the people of SI who are interested in transit", then they didn't vote anything out. I went to the meetings and not a single person was against heavy rail. A lot of the people who were for light rail aren't as knowledgeable as to what different options were being offered, and you had people say "light rail is better than a busway", but nobody said "light rail is better than heavy rail". All of the advantages the speakers touted for light rail could've just as easily been accomplished by heavy rail.

As I said, if SI ends up growing, heavy rail is better-equipped to handle the demand (not to mention that heavy rail used to run on the route and the population was less than it is today)

I thought for SI was going to be the extension of the HBLR?

That's also planned.

There were ideas of extending the HBLR into Staten Island mentioned before..

One problem with that is who would be responsible for operating the SI portion, the MTA or NJ Transit? How would transfers and fares work?

You could have NJT operate the trains over it, and the MTA reimburses them. So you could have it as follows (say, under the current fare structure):

$2.10 fare within NJ

$2.25 fare within SI (treated as an +SBS+ route as far as transfers and MetroCard acceptance go)

$3.50 fare for SI-NJ travel, with both agencies splitting the cost

You could have NJT operate the trains over it, and the MTA reimburses them. So you could have it as follows (say, under the current fare structure):

$2.10 fare within NJ

$2.25 fare within SI (treated as an +SBS+ route as far as transfers and MetroCard acceptance go)

$3.50 fare for SI-NJ travel, with both agencies splitting the cost

Or that section of light rail could fall under the jurisdiction of the Port Authority.

Extending the Hudson-Bergen light rail into Staten Island, particularly in the manner one member has shared with us on the maps is a little ambitious, particularly when other ideas and initiatives (such as activating the North Shore line, extending the 7 to Secaucus and the HBLR into lower Bergen County) in my opinion need to be further discussed.

I live on the South Shore of Staten Island, while it would be great to be connected to Jersey City and beyond by a 20 minute walk from my house, I think other ideas need to be explored/implemented such as expanding s89 service to every 45-60min between 09:00- 15:00 & 19:00 - 23:00 in addition to the peak period operations on weekdays, OR extending the 10 or 81 to Forest/Richmond Ave.

Extending the Hudson-Bergen light rail into Staten Island, particularly in the manner one member has shared with us on the maps is a little ambitious, particularly when other ideas and initiatives (such as activating the North Shore line, extending the 7 to Secaucus and the HBLR into lower Bergen County) in my opinion need to be further discussed.

I live on the South Shore of Staten Island, while it would be great to be connected to Jersey City and beyond by a 20 minute walk from my house, I think other ideas need to be explored/implemented such as expanding s89 service to every 45-60min between 09:00- 15:00 & 19:00 - 23:00 in addition to the peak period operations on weekdays, OR extending the 10 or 81 to Forest/Richmond Ave.

You should've seen some of his other maps. :eek:

I've said this before, but since you're new, I'll say it again: If they plan on extending the HBLR into SI and down the West Shore Expressway, they should get people used to using transit and run a bus line down there. The route could be called the S82 (it spends a lot of time on the WSE and so it could qualify as a limited, which means it needs be be an S8_ or S9_ route) or S58 (it is a "Cross-Island route so it would be an S5_ route)

The route could take the S89 route until it reaches the SIE service road, then take the service road to South Avenue, and then take the West Shore Expressway, Arthur Kill Road, Rossville Avenue, Correll Avenue, Bloomingdale Road, and Englewood Avenue, terminating at the Bricktown Mall (or possibly in Tottenville). It could run every 20 minutes during rush hour and every 40-60 minutes off-peak.

But some kind of full-time SI-Hudson County link is definitely needed. An extension of the 10 or 81 would take away service from the southern part of Bayonne, but having short-turn S89s between Forest Avenue and Bayonne wouldn't cost much. With 1 bus on the route, you could easily have service every 40 minutes, which is better than nothing.

You should've seen some of his other maps. :eek:

I've said this before, but since you're new, I'll say it again: If they plan on extending the HBLR into SI and down the West Shore Expressway, they should get people used to using transit and run a bus line down there. The route could be called the S82 (it spends a lot of time on the WSE and so it could qualify as a limited, which means it needs be be an S8_ or S9_ route) or S58 (it is a "Cross-Island route so it would be an S5_ route)

The route could take the S89 route until it reaches the SIE service road, then take the service road to South Avenue, and then take the West Shore Expressway, Arthur Kill Road, Rossville Avenue, Correll Avenue, Bloomingdale Road, and Englewood Avenue, terminating at the Bricktown Mall (or possibly in Tottenville). It could run every 20 minutes during rush hour and every 40-60 minutes off-peak.

But some kind of full-time SI-Hudson County link is definitely needed. An extension of the 10 or 81 would take away service from the southern part of Bayonne, but having short-turn S89s between Forest Avenue and Bayonne wouldn't cost much. With 1 bus on the route, you could easily have service every 40 minutes, which is better than nothing.

Again these aren't my maps, and second of all these are real proposals, and bus service will not contribute to any development or population boom to Staten Island. In today's society you have to have rail transit to encourage development or else it isn't going to happen.

Again these aren't my maps, and second of all these are real proposals, and bus service will not contribute to any development or population boom to Staten Island. In today's society you have to have rail transit to encourage development or else it isn't going to happen.

I never said it would. I said that there should be one bus route along the path that they want the HBLR extension to take. Unless you can get that light rail up and running in a few months, I think a bus will have to do.

I never said it would. I said that there should be one bus route along the path that they want the HBLR extension to take. Unless you can get that light rail up and running in a few months, I think a bus will have to do.

It's really weird to here it come from someone that used to be a massive supporter of rail transit for Staten Island. I sure hope you didn't pick up the Staten Island Anti-Rail Disease.

Archived