GCT Hours

jay.rosenthal

Im guessing to keep the homeless people out after 2am. Which doesn't make sense anyways because they will be back or go to Penn. Penn is open 24 Hours, which still deals with homeless. Even tho there is a sweep i think..

TBH, technically Metro-North does run 24 hours.

If the last train, lets say to Southeast (Harlem Line), leaves at 2AM, it gets to Southeast at like 4AM, an hour after 5AM service to GCT begins, while GCT is closed. By the time that train makes it to GCT, it ill be open. THIS IS an example, not exact.

The further up you are on the line, closer to the terminal, the more it ill feel like trains are running 24 hours. Even tho late nights one way. Until around 7AM when both directions are running.

If the last train, lets say to Southeast (Harlem Line), leaves at 2AM, it gets to Southeast at like 4AM, an hour after 5AM service to GCT begins, while GCT is closed. By the time that train makes it to GCT, it ill be open. THIS IS an example, not exact.

You're pretty close in your assertion. The last Southeast bound train leaves GCT @ 1:56 am arriving @ Southeast approximately 3:45. The first GCT bound train leaves Southeast around 4:30.

I think the real reason there are no 24 hours departures and arrivals is ridership doesn't warrant the expense of running 24 hour trains.

The MTA PD does a fairly good job keeping the homeless in check at GCT. I do see some regulars there every day. I'm not sure what their story is but I see the cops kicking out others all the time.

You're pretty close in your assertion. The last Southeast bound train leaves GCT @ 1:56 am arriving @ Southeast approximately 3:45. The first GCT bound train leaves Southeast around 4:30.

I think the real reason there are no 24 hours departures and arrivals is ridership doesn't warrant the expense of running 24 hour trains.

The MTA PD does a fairly good job keeping the homeless in check at GCT. I do see some regulars there every day. I'm not sure what their story is but I see the cops kicking out others all the time.

Truckie i disagree. Did not your agency (metro north) claim recently they are now the busiest rail system in America and one of the busiest on the planet? So in a sense i am sure the (MTA) could have 1 'extra' outbound (northbound)at least friday(saturday morning) and saturday nights(sunday mornings) at 3am imo at least to Stamford, White Plains, and Croton-Harmon.

There was a NY time article a few years back on how quiet a number of party goers at city clubs, etc. would use.

So the ridership is there to run a limited 90-2 hour headways imo at least on weekends. Just wish the (MTA) could be honest and state they need the couple of hours of GCT closure for cleaning.

Truckie i disagree. Did not your agency (metro north) claim recently they are now the busiest rail system in America and one of the busiest on the planet? So in a sense i am sure the (MTA) could have 1 'extra' outbound (northbound)at least friday(saturday morning) and saturday nights(sunday mornings) at 3am imo at least to Stamford, White Plains, and Croton-Harmon.

There was a NY time article a few years back on how quiet a number of party goers at city clubs, etc. would use.

So the ridership is there to run a limited 90-2 hour headways imo at least on weekends. Just wish the (MTA) could be honest and state they need the couple of hours of GCT closure for cleaning.

Even if MNR is boasting that they are currently the busiest, that doesn't mean extra trains are needed between 2 and 5. Would the ridership warrant the expense of running additional trains between that time frame? Even the last trains out on Friday and Saturday are not packed with people, either are the first trains out on Saturday and Sunday. From a business stand point with a delicate budget, would it be worth while the expense of running even one additional train if only 25 people were on it? Of course it's just a hypothetical number, I know know what the true numbers would be.

I don't know what the real reason is not running 24 hours these are just my thoughts on it. Maybe the real reason is for cleaning. I can't say for sure.

I dont even see MTAPD at other stations, late at night, as people say they are suppose to check for passengers in station, when service at that stop is not running.

A bit off, do you know if there is later CSX freight after 1:30AM on the hudson? I know theres one out of oak point between 10:15-12AM with loads of cars, and another coming south with just 2-3 box at around the same time (other times the other way around). Just wanna know if theres later freight, while MNCRR service is reduced.

Even if MNR is boasting that they are currently the busiest, that doesn't mean extra trains are needed between 2 and 5. Would the ridership warrant the expense of running additional trains between that time frame? Even the last trains out on Friday and Saturday are not packed with people, either are the first trains out on Saturday and Sunday. From a business stand point with a delicate budget, would it be worth while the expense of running even one additional train if only 25 people were on it? Of course it's just a hypothetical number, I know know what the true numbers would be.

I don't know what the real reason is not running 24 hours these are just my thoughts on it. Maybe the real reason is for cleaning. I can't say for sure.

Truckie it's not going to be a SRO such as rush hour or certain times on the weekend. With that said, I been on the last bound 150am to Croton-Harmon on Saturday Nite/early Sunday AM and the 3 cars of a M-7 train having a few standees as far as Tarrytown. I think there a market for a 3am Friday/Saturday night on all 3 branches as a compromise if the (MTA) needs to shut down GCT during the week.

And Mark to answer your question yes most of the time (MTA) police are around at least on times i ride the last trains from GCT on the Hudson line. They usually in police cars assigned to key stations from 125th, Yonkers, Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon. Occasionaly they ride on the trains from say Yonkers to Croton-Harmon.

I'll bring up my FOIL data here again:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1a4423cdf63fb5d2&id=1A4423CDF63FB5D2%21181

I have both LIRR and MNR counts, so you can compare the last MNR of the night vs. LIRR's owl service.

I think MNR should run, at a minimum, bi-hourly service from 1 to 5 to/from Poughkeepsie, NHV, and Mt Kisco.

And why aren't the first couple trains of the day, which get to GCT before 6AM, off peak?

I'll bring up my FOIL data here again:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1a4423cdf63fb5d2&id=1A4423CDF63FB5D2%21181

I have both LIRR and MNR counts, so you can compare the last MNR of the night vs. LIRR's owl service.

I think MNR should run, at a minimum, bi-hourly service from 1 to 5 to/from Poughkeepsie, NHV, and Mt Kisco.

And why aren't the first couple trains of the day, which get to GCT before 6AM, off peak?

Amtrak if you running the Harlem to Mt Kisco might as well run it all the way to Brewester/Southeast. Plus the connecting shuttle at Croton Harmon to poughkeepsie is fine. Most important is to have some sort of overnight service.

Ok, here's the truth... MNR has no plans to expand night owl service. Even an increase in ridership will do nothing to change that. MNR cares little about the drunks and delinquents who ride the late night "vomit comets" who trash the trains and cause fights and riots. In fact MNR can't increase service during regular off-peak hours because of funding. So don't hold your breath for increased late night service.

As far as homeless in GCT, there are plenty of them living under platforms and other places around the tracks of GCT, the place is pretty cavernous. Closing the terminal at 2am, doesn't stop homeless from sleeping in GCT. Sure some get kicked out, but there are colonies of them living in the secluded innards of GCT. It's really like a horror film down there at times, you should hear the stories.

Amtrak if you running the Harlem to Mt Kisco might as well run it all the way to Brewester/Southeast. Plus the connecting shuttle at Croton Harmon to poughkeepsie is fine. Most important is to have some sort of overnight service.

I never said through service to Poughkeepsie, just service. I meant a shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Well a lot of people don't want to risk getting stranded if something happens with the last train so it makes sense that a lot of folks wouldn't be on it. As a resident of Riverdale, I would benefit from service 24 hours and I think we should have it. My express buses (BxM1 and BxM2) stop running shortly after 01:00 at night and then the last MetroNorth train making stops in at the Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations is 01:56, so after that you're pretty much ish out of luck. No way am I schlepping on the subway and then the bus all the way to Riverdale. The only quick option is car service or a yellow taxi which will cost a pretty good penny from the city back to Riverdale. That's my only complaint about service in Riverdale.

Ok, here's the truth... MNR has no plans to expand night owl service. Even an increase in ridership will do nothing to change that. MNR cares little about the drunks and delinquents who ride the late night "vomit comets" who trash the trains and cause fights and riots. In fact MNR can't increase service during regular off-peak hours because of funding. So don't hold your breath for increased late night service.

As far as homeless in GCT, there are plenty of them living under platforms and other places around the tracks of GCT, the place is pretty cavernous. Closing the terminal at 2am, doesn't stop homeless from sleeping in GCT. Sure some get kicked out, but there are colonies of them living in the secluded innards of GCT. It's really like a horror film down there at times, you should hear the stories.

FYI, just because I like to stay out late doesn't mean that I'm a drunk or a delinquent. :tdown: As soon as I get settled in my new apt., I plan on writing to my elected officials to find out why we can't get service 24/7 like the LIRR has. Where does the funding need to come from in order to give us the service that we need????

Well a lot of people don't want to risk getting stranded if something happens with the last train so it makes sense that a lot of folks wouldn't be on it. As a resident of Riverdale, I would benefit from service 24 hours and I think we should have it. My express buses (BxM1 and BxM2) stop running shortly after 01:00 at night and then the last MetroNorth train making stops in at the Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations is 01:56, so after that you're pretty much ish out of luck. No way am I schlepping on the subway and then the bus all the way to Riverdale. The only quick option is car service or a yellow taxi which will cost a pretty good penny from the city back to Riverdale. That's my only complaint about service in Riverdale.

FYI, just because I like to stay out late doesn't mean that I'm a drunk of a delinquent. :tdown: As soon as I get settled in my new apt., I plan on writing to my elected officials to find out why we can't get service 24/7 like the LIRR has. Where does the funding need to come from in order to give us the service that we need????

Sounds like Roadball does not want to work that shift lol. Anyhow I agree with VG8 on this issue. I been screaming since i moved to Dutchess County on why MNRR can't run overnight service. Even at 90 minute-2 hours headways, just like the LIRR at least on Friday and Saturday Nights or ideally 7 days a week.

If the funding ever became available just run a similar schedule to the New Year Eve (no 'express' trains)but my idea so that cleaning could be done at GCT between 3-5am.

Hudson Line

To GCT

Leaves Poughkeepsie 11:59pm

Leaves Croton Harmon 1am

From GCT

Leaves GCT 3am via local.

Leaves Croton(connecting with shuttle to Poughkeepsie)410am

New Haven

To GCT

Leave New Haven 1am

*all stops* including Stamford-Fordham

From GCT

Leaves GCT 305am

*all stops* from Fordham-Stamford-New Haven

Harlem Line

Leaves White Plains 2am

All stops WP-Mt Vernon then *fordham* then to Manhattan.

Leaves GCT 305am

Skips all bronx stops(except Fordham and Woodlawn)then local stops to Southeast.

Then the existing schedule for all '3' branches.

FYI, just because I like to stay out late doesn't mean that I'm a drunk of a delinquent.

Just because you stay out late doesn't mean you are, that's not to say that there isn't it's share of delinquent drunks.

Where does the funding need to come from in order to give us the service that we need????

Funding would need to come from one of three sources.

-Federal Government who is currently talking about cutting back funding.

-NYS and CT government. For this to happen it would require more of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Right now NY is slowly reversing the debacle of the mobility tax from a few years back.

-Farebox revenue. That's right, raising fares.

Why doesn't Metro-North operate out of Grand Central Terminal 24 hours a day like the LIRR does out of Penn Station?

Good question. I wondered myself because I usually dance tango in the city late at night and would like a later departure than 1:53 on the New Haven line.

I suspect the answer is there aren't crews available. The last trips of the day probably return crews to their origin terminal. The only way they could work another trip to Southeast, Croton Harmon, and New Haven is they would have to return to Grand Central. However, there aren't any trains to Grand Central after they arrive at their home terminal. Crews from Grand Central would have to operate the trains. What happens when they get to the other end of the line? I doubt there's demand for service to Grand Central at 4 AM from Croton Harmon, Southeast, nor New Haven. So what would they do. They would sit in those stations and make the first trip to Grand Central. I'm sure the crews would love a 2 hour layover.B)

After they take the equipment to Grand Central, how does the equipment return to the above stations. Well, the crews who work the first train to Grand Central make flip trips. But if they aren't on the first train to Grand Central, there's nobody to make the trip unless they deadhead. HMMM!! A 90 minute deadhead trip - - with pay. That sounds good to the crew.

The LIRR schedules work out of New York from midnight to 8 AM. No crew sits at the other end (Bablyon, Far Rock, etc) for 90 minutes. The outlying termini on the LIRR (except for Montauk and Greenport) are closer to Penn Station than the outlying termini on Metro North.

Archived